PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 27 June 2010)

Conrad
21-06-2010, 14:05
Hopefully I may actually have a beer this week.

Gann: Shep Neame 4-4-2 Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15240#post15240)
an_ecumenical_matter: OLDE SWAN brewery Old Swan (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15281#post15281)
HTM69: Westage Brewery 'Back of the Net' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15349#post15349)
ROBCamra: Kelham Island "Wish you were here" (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15357#post15357)
RogerB: Dunottar Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15358#post15358)
Bucking Fastard: Marble Brewery Summer (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15363#post15363)
aleandhearty: The Cheeky Pheasant (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15375#post15375)
Dave M: Dark and Very Enjoyable (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15384#post15384)
oldboots: Saltaire Chocoholic (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15396#post15396)
Millay: Springhead Roaring Meg (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15408#post15408)
Grailhunter: Rebellion Blonde (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15437#post15437)
Pubsignman: Thornbridge Wild Swan (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2841-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-27-June-2010%29&p=15441#post15441)

ROBCamra
21-06-2010, 14:40
Hopefully I may actually have a beer this week.

Hopefully I'll have loads as we're in Sheffield at the weekendand doing the top end of the Valley of Beer crawl (maybe the bottom end as well if the thirst/brain/legs/liver hold out). :nishelypished:

trainman
21-06-2010, 21:16
Hopefully I'll have loads as we're in Sheffield at the weekend
Grrr!

aleandhearty
22-06-2010, 09:07
Grrr!

Double Grrr! :D Will have to see what delights Essex can offer this w/e.

oldboots
22-06-2010, 18:03
double grrr! :d will have to see what delights essex can offer this w/e.

ESSEX !

:sick:

aleandhearty
23-06-2010, 18:18
ESSEX !

:sick:

:D Primarily for a college reunion 'ob', not as a destination for a crawl. However, hoping to have a few scoops in my host's GBG listed local (and add my notes to the ever growing pile of reviews not finished / started!)

trainman
24-06-2010, 07:22
Should be one of the many styles of Brodies I had yesterday, but will reserve judgement and probably award botw to whatever I have in my hand when the whistle blows to signify the England victory on Sunday.

ROBCamra
24-06-2010, 09:56
whatever I have in my hand when the whistle blows to signify the England victory on Sunday.

Hesket Newmarket Great Cockup Porter?

runningdog
24-06-2010, 20:09
Seems a good place to celebrate my return to the land of the living, 'specially as I have a serious contender, Cairngorm's Wildcat. It may not be the Beast, but like the real thing, it punches well over it's weight.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
...It's good to be back..........

aleandhearty
24-06-2010, 21:40
...It's good to be back..........

Good to have you back 'rd' - drunken typos and all! :D

aleandhearty
24-06-2010, 21:48
Had a decent session tonight, trying six different beers:

Clark's 'Westgate Gold'
Ilkley 'Capello's Glory' [We'll see on Sunday!]
George Wright 'Cheeky Pheasant'
Fernandes 'Malt Shovel Mild'
Fernandes 'Chrome Dome'
Gales 'Festival Mild'

Probably the Cheeky Pheasant, by a nose, at the moment.

Alesonly
24-06-2010, 22:20
Sadly theres No Beer of the week for this week As I cant have Any beer Till NEXT Friday night. Thats ! 13 Days going without a Beer. I would have gone from Last Saturday Till Next Friday without a Beer But I will make up for it over next weekend. :drinkup:

Gann
25-06-2010, 11:20
Sadly theres No Beer of the week for this week As I cant have Any beer Till NEXT Friday night. :drinkup:

Blimey you poor sod !

And just to rub a large pile of sodium chloride into a gaping wound , don't you just love the World cup early stages with games every night. This means trips out to the pub every night.

Obviously a session to accompany the England game, which was then followed by a trip up to central London last night to try and watch the Holland game in the De Hems Dutch bar in Covent Garden area. We failed to get in as it was rammed by 6.00PM , but the pub 200yds down the road we encamped to soon filled up with the Dutch overflow , so a good night was had.
Tonight will be a venue closer to home and then on Saturday we're back up to Leicester Square to watch the first of the last 16 games up there.
And then of course Sunday will be the big one in my Winchmore Hill local

And to get back on thread, my local and quite a few of the London venues I've been in this week have had the Shep Neame 4-4-2 Ale brewed just for the World Cup with its St Georges Cross handpump design, which I've been drinking out of patriotism.
Fortunately it's a decent seasonal summer beer, so it goes down as my beer of the week.

p.s. Alesonly, if my memory is correct from a previous thread I recall you being something to do with ticketing on the trains. If so any chance of you slipping me a pass , ;) as all these bloody one day rail cards are costing me a fortune at the moment..... :)

Millay
26-06-2010, 07:29
It had been a quiet week with just a couple of Mordue Workie Tickets on Monday. Then on Thursday I popped into a JDW near work for a quick pint and was faced with Ringwood Fortyniner, Springhead Roaring Meg and York Centurion Ghost. Well what’s a man to do? Have all three of course, although it turned into four as I spotted RCH East Street. On the way home I encountered a couple of Riders from Sheffield looking a little Pale and a Landlord named Timothy. An excellent evening although I didn’t feel too good the next morning.

So unless I find anything remarkable this weekend my BoTW will probably come from one of the above, although I do like trainman’s suggestion.

.... probably award botw to whatever I have in my hand when the whistle blows to signify the England victory on Sunday.

an_ecumenical_matter
26-06-2010, 07:36
Had to be OLDE SWAN brewery Old Swan. 3.5% but excellent flavour. And £1.80 a pint!!!

HTM69
28-06-2010, 11:19
The last 7 days’ offerings proved to be vastly superior to the couple of weeks that preceded it, with 19 pints gulped over a 3-day period.

Marstons Fever Pitch x 4
Sussex Best x 1
St Austell’s Tribute x 3
Young’s Special x 1
Westgate Brewery 'Back Of The Net' x 4
Itchen Valley Brewery 'They Think It’s All Over' x 1
Skinners Betty Stogs x 2
Sharps Doom Bar x 3

BOTW: Westage Brewery 'Back Of The Net'

ROBCamra
28-06-2010, 12:21
Well it's a hard decision this week after visiting many of Sheffields finest including 3 brewpubs, Hillsborough Hotel, Fat Cat & Wellington.

Also had to call in to the Kelham Island Tavern for a couple, the usual ten or so on the bar PLUS a beer festival in the beer garden with another 6 plus 12 ciders. :nishelypished:

But after long deliberation Kelham Island "Wish You Were Here" wins tried at the Fat Cat just in front of Beer Works (Abbeydale) "Ball Relief" at the Harlequin. :cheers:

RogerB
28-06-2010, 12:21
A better selection of beers from my second week of travels around Scotland. Best beer for me was the Dunottar Ale brewed by Inveralmond specially for the Marine Hotel in Stonehaven which also ended up being my Pub of the Month.

Bucking Fastard
28-06-2010, 13:00
Last week was spent on the annual lads booze cruise (WAGS excluded) which this year was based on the canals and rivers of Yorkshire.Starting in Sheffield we also visited Doncaster,York,Ripon including a few beers with oldboots,Castleford and finishing in Huddersfield so you can see the BOTW was always going to be a tough decision.Special mention to Rooster's Yankee and Five Towns Brewery Bodyline but the outstanding BOTW just has to be Marble Brewery Summer in The Grove ,Huddersfield.Last year the crew also voted best ale supped from the Marble Brewery and those boys certainly can brew well across a number of beers styles IPA,Ginger,Chocolate,Stout.Fantastic.

aleandhearty
28-06-2010, 14:07
Last week was spent on the annual lads booze cruise .... which this year was based on the canals and rivers of Yorkshire.Starting in Sheffield we also visited Doncaster,York,Ripon including a few beers with oldboots,Castleford and finishing in Huddersfield.

Sounds like you must have been pretty close to Chez Hearty at some stage. Sorry to have missed you. Always up for meeting fellow forum members, finances permitting.

aleandhearty
28-06-2010, 14:13
George Wright 'Cheeky Pheasant'

As I didn't manage to get to get to the pub once whilst in Essex (don't ask) The Cheeky Pheasant is my BOTW. Mind you if it was based purely on volume drunk it would go to Morland 'Speckled Hen'. I drank so many bottles, on Fri & Sat, I lost count!

Bucking Fastard
28-06-2010, 14:40
Sounds like you must have been pretty close to Chez Hearty at some stage.

I'll try and get the reviews on here shortly.Next time I move the boat from Mirfield ,I will have my sons with me and the good wife is none too keen for me to encourage the younger one into the wicked ways of drinking real ale,so there will be little pub action on the trip up to Standedge Tunnel and then through the flesh pots of StalyVegas.:(

Dave M
28-06-2010, 15:56
After a week that involved a lot of Courage Best I made a last minute bid to find something a bit different on Sunday evening and got myself a Great Heck beer that I'd been hoping to find some day - so my BotW is Dark And Very Enjoyable :D

aleandhearty
28-06-2010, 16:57
got myself a Great Heck beer that I'd been hoping to find some day - so my BotW is Dark And Very Enjoyable :D

Great Heck Brewery have just taken over O'Donoghue's in Wakefield, as their first pub. I'm rather hoping that the very popular 'DAVE' will be a regular beer, Dave!

oldboots
28-06-2010, 20:25
Quite an easy choice as I haven't had many this week, probably drank most decent beers with Bucking Fastard and his crew, one of whom might agree with me about Saltaire Chocoholic

aleandhearty
28-06-2010, 20:58
Quite an easy choice as I haven't had many this week, Saltaire Chocoholic

Unbelievably, still haven't tried it, but looking forward to the day, having read all the reviews. A small crumb of comfort is the fact that Asda started selling the bottled Cascade Pale Ale recently.

Millay
29-06-2010, 07:01
It had been a quiet week with just a couple of Mordue Workie Tickets on Monday. Then on Thursday I popped into a JDW near work for a quick pint and was faced with Ringwood Fortyniner, Springhead Roaring Meg and York Centurion Ghost. Well what’s a man to do? Have all three of course, although it turned into four as I spotted RCH East Street. On the way home I encountered a couple of Riders from Sheffield looking a little Pale and a Landlord named Timothy. An excellent evening although I didn’t feel too good the next morning.

So unless I find anything remarkable this weekend my BoTW will probably come from one of the above

I did find a nice Nethergates Essex Beast on Saturday but my BoTW goes to Springhead Roaring Meg

Grailhunter
29-06-2010, 13:02
For me it was Rebellion Blonde 'enjoyed' in the Back of Beyond JDW in Reading whilst watching England beat Slovenia. Well the beer was enjoyable the match wasn't !

Pubsignman
29-06-2010, 13:46
I spent a few days in Latvia this week and was surprised to find that they had quite a lot of good beers in their bars - mostly dark beers - and I was sorely tempted to nominate one of these, but given the lovely weather we've been having, it would feel wrong to go with a dark beer, so my BOTW is Thornbridge Wild Swan (as tried at the Cask, Pimlico); a White Gold Pale Ale and a fine summer session beer if ever I saw one.