PDA

View Full Version : Las Iguanas - A pub or not?

Perry
25-08-2018, 19:53
There are many entries on PG regarding this chain. It is always historically debatable about what constitites a pub, but I have had the occasional pint in some of these places and I find them OK. There is now one in Chelmsford and despite my efforts to enter this onto the database it is always deleted without reason. So perhaps somebody of infinite wisdom could explain to me why a Las Iguanas in Chelmsford is not considered to be a pub but those is other parts of the country appear to meet the criteria. I will not hold my breath awaiting a reply any longer than I wait for nearly one hundred of my photos which are apparently "awaiting approval". When I joined PG in 2007 responses for new entries and photos were acknowledged and processed almost immediately. Conrad was good.

bcfczuluarmy
25-08-2018, 20:17
Photos generally approved within a couple hours normally. Las Iguanas and alike such as cafe rouge generally added years ago. I've one by me that I've been to with no issues but no intention of adding on here.

rpadam
25-08-2018, 20:26
There are many entries on PG regarding this chain. It is always historically debatable about what constitites a pub, but I have had the occasional pint in some of these places and I find them OK. There is now one in Chelmsford and despite my efforts to enter this onto the database it is always deleted without reason. So perhaps somebody of infinite wisdom could explain to me why a Las Iguanas in Chelmsford is not considered to be a pub but those is other parts of the country appear to meet the criteria. I will not hold my breath awaiting a reply any longer than I wait for nearly one hundred of my photos which are apparently "awaiting approval". When I joined PG in 2007 responses for new entries and photos were acknowledged and processed almost immediately. Conrad was good.
No idea why that happened, so I've just tried adding it myself and it is now there and approved (although it might take several hours for it to show up in a search).

NB - Almost everything is actioned within 24 hours, often much less, and there are currently no unactioned items that I can see.

bcfczuluarmy
25-08-2018, 20:34
There are masses of unactioned items such as map corrections and pictures that I stumble on. Obviously they fall into a void/glitch as historic to be found unless bought to organ grinders attention.

rpadam
25-08-2018, 20:37
There are masses of unactioned items such as map corrections and pictures that I stumble on. Obviously they fall into a void/glitch as historic to be found unless bought to organ grinders attention.
There are certainly many historic ones that only Snow White can action, but everything the dwarves can action is done.

Wild Rover
25-08-2018, 20:44
Yes I have the same problem but not with Las Iguanas more the TGI Fridays which is a similar thing. I gave up on the Frankie and Benny's a few years ago.I have no problem if they were all taken off but like you mention they should either all be on or all be off

rpadam
25-08-2018, 20:55
Yes I have the same problem but not with Las Iguanas more the TGI Fridays which is a similar thing. I gave up on the Frankie and Benny's a few years ago.I have no problem if they were all taken off but like you mention they should either all be on or all be off
I know that some people have strong opinions on this, but my personal view is that if you can just walk and buy a drink without buying food or paying for entry then that is a valid entry.

Of course, whether one would actual wish to visit such places for a drink is a different question, but some people do and that's fine with me.

NB - What?ub has a similarly inconsistent approach, with a variety of Las Iguanas, Café Rouge, TGI Fridays and Franke & Benny's listed, but far from all and some recorded as restaurants but many shown as open pubs.

oldboots
26-08-2018, 09:59
I know that some people have strong opinions on this, but my personal view is that if you can just walk and buy a drink without buying food or paying for entry then that is a valid entry. [/I]

Pretty much my view as well with the proviso that a gin joint or cocktail bar isn't a pub and shouldn't be here. I often come across recent photos waiting for approval that don't show up in the "awaiting approval" list the seven dwarves can see and I don't mean the crap photos that get referred. Some sort of glitch or bug I guess.

(Crap photos are the ones that are: out of focus, skew-wiff, pictures of some unidentifiable bit of architecture, pictures taken at such an oblique angle they could be anything, a picture of some scaffolding, some building or other in semi-darkness, or everyone's favourite, a picture of a dirty bus window.)

Perry
26-08-2018, 18:36
Thank you for your help on this. Can you please inform me how I can get my outstanding photos approved? Do I have to go through the process again? Thanks.

bcfczuluarmy
26-08-2018, 19:04
Sadly that works. Stuck pictures I've resubmitted with other pictures I've had to add and they tend to get approved.

oldboots
26-08-2018, 20:04
Thank you for your help on this. Can you please inform me how I can get my outstanding photos approved? Do I have to go through the process again? Thanks.

It might be worth posting a list of the pubs with outstanding photos and we can take a look and see if we can sort them without reposting the pictures as that could lead to duplicates.

Quinno
27-08-2018, 08:34
it's an oddity.

Sometimes I navigate to a pub page, see a notification telling me there are outstanding photos, but when I click through there are none

Other times, there are (always the same person's).

It's a glitch that Snow White is aware of.

bcfczuluarmy
27-08-2018, 17:28
it's an oddity.

Sometimes I navigate to a pub page, see a notification telling me there are outstanding photos, but when I click through there are none

Ooh I sense a story here.....

Aqualung
27-08-2018, 20:24
it's an oddity.

Could this be a device issue? I've had no trouble with pictures (apart from my own silly errors) and my only online access is a desktop PC at home.

london calling
27-08-2018, 21:46
Why bother Las Iguanas is not a pub.Nor is Frankie and Bennies or TJI Fridays and if Starbucks start selling beer they will not be considered as a pub in my book..I was in two brewery taps this weekend and they are not pubs either but have a pubiness about them so I suppose they are permissible but would not bother me if they were deleted either. Rant over.

Mobyduck
27-08-2018, 22:44
Why bother Las Iguanas is not a pub.Nor is Frankie and Bennies or TJI Fridays and if Starbucks start selling beer they will not be considered as a pub in my book..I was in two brewery taps this weekend and they are not pubs either but have a pubiness about them so I suppose they are permissible but would not bother me if they were deleted either. Rant over.

I'm with you John.

bcfczuluarmy
27-08-2018, 23:01
Appreciate both sides of the argument. Yes you can get a drink, if like me you'll go anywhere on a list you can get CAMRA branches which will also add these spurious venues. It's a minefield. I've done loads of places where I'd not consider adding due to the Cafe Rouge effect, added some where the likes may also turn a nose up based on opinion. It's a hard and grey area as to what to class a pub as but given the venues are changing from a traditional pub to a place you can get a drink it's likely to need a Brexit Paper to determine what we do in the event of No Deal on here and WP to determine how to class an establishment where you can drink without awkwardness or get draught/keg/bottles/tins without being shown the door with broom.

Life evolves as do businesses.

Aqualung
28-08-2018, 08:20
Appreciate both sides of the argument. Yes you can get a drink, if like me you'll go anywhere on a list you can get CAMRA branches which will also add these spurious venues. It's a minefield. I've done loads of places where I'd not consider adding due to the Cafe Rouge effect, added some where the likes may also turn a nose up based on opinion. It's a hard and grey area as to what to class a pub as but given the venues are changing from a traditional pub to a place you can get a drink it's likely to need a Brexit Paper to determine what we do in the event of No Deal on here and WP to determine how to class an establishment where you can drink without awkwardness or get draught/keg/bottles/tins without being shown the door with broom.

Life evolves as do businesses.

One of the reasons for all the confusion may be that some restaurant chains (Harvester, Toby Carvery and Miller & Carter spring to mind) have outlets based in buildings that were originally pubs as is the case with gastropubs that say you must have a meal. What about this (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/44776/) place? I marked it as closed but can't fully justify that although I can in general terms. If you think the site policy should change then just try coming up with a workable rule other than the existing one that isn't going to cause a whole load of grief. I've tried it and got nowhere!
As for What Pub it depends entirely on the local branch. Some seem to not even bother adding keg only pubs.

Perry
30-08-2018, 13:39
Old Boots,

I composed a list of the photos that have been outstanding for over a year, but surprise, surprise, I was logged out when I tried to submit.

Perry
30-08-2018, 14:26
[QUOTE=Perry;95090]Old Boots,

I composed a list of the photos that have been outstanding for over a year, but surprise, surprise, I was logged out when I tried to submit.[/QUOTJ

Just in case this happens again I will list them five at a time. All are over a year "waiting approval".

Bear & Bells, Beccles, 3 photos submitted 9/8/16
Prince of Wales, Beccles, 1 photo submitted 9/6/16
Gainsborough, Sudbury, 2 photos submitted 20/10/16
Falcons Nest Hotel, Port Erin, IOM, 1 photo submitted 29/10/16
Prince of Wales, Reading, 2 photos submitted 23/1/17

Hope you can help sort this. Many thanks.

oldboots
30-08-2018, 16:03
I had a look and found this,

Bear & Bells (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34716/) 3 waiting from Graham Mason - approved.
The Prince of Wales (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80321/) says 1 waiting for approval but none visible.
The Gainsborough (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35333/) 2 waiting from Graham Mason - approved.
Falcons Nest Hotel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55690/) says 1 waiting for approval but none visible.
Prince of Wales (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1708/) says 2 waiting for approval but none visible.

The ones that are not visible have probably been "referred" for some reason (see "crap" photos below) in other cases it might be a duplicate photo or too many photos/irrelevant photos of a closed pub. I've also noticed a couple of people regularly posting photos that are misty or milky, probably from either a dirty lens or using a poor quality phone and only just usable without making the site look amateurish.

Dave might need to investigate to non-visibles.

Send some more for us to look at.

ROBCamra
30-08-2018, 16:51
[QUOTE=Perry;95090]Old Boots,

I composed a list of the photos that have been outstanding for over a year, but surprise, surprise, I was logged out when I tried to submit.[/QUOTJ

Just in case this happens again I will list them five at a time. All are over a year "waiting approval".

Bear & Bells, Beccles, 3 photos submitted 9/8/16
Prince of Wales, Beccles, 1 photo submitted 9/6/16
Gainsborough, Sudbury, 2 photos submitted 20/10/16
Falcons Nest Hotel, Port Erin, IOM, 1 photo submitted 29/10/16
Prince of Wales, Reading, 2 photos submitted 23/1/17

Hope you can help sort this. Many thanks.

I can see that there are 3 pictures on the Bear & Bells, 1 on the Prince of Wales and 2 on The Gainsborough all circa those dates. :confused:

Assuming that you are Graham Mason on the main site?

Perry
30-08-2018, 19:14
Good evening to Old Boots and to ROBCamra,

Thanks for what you are doing. I have good quality Canon camera. I do not submit photos from a phone. I edit virtually every photo that I submit in order provide a good image. I will send another small batch of "awaiting approval" notifications tomorrow (all being well), and yes I am Graham Mason on the main site and have been since 2007.

oldboots
31-08-2018, 07:39
...I have good quality Canon camera. I do not submit photos from a phone. I edit virtually every photo that I submit in order provide a good image...

The quote "I've also noticed a couple of people regularly posting photos that are misty or milky, probably from either a dirty lens or using a poor quality phone and only just usable without making the site look amateurish." wasn't aimed at you just a cri de coeur, but I'm not going to name names, those who can't or won't self-edit probably know who they are, the seven dwarves definitely do!

Perry
31-08-2018, 12:24
Good Afternoon Oldboots,

Thanks for that. I did not in any way feel that your "crap criteria" was aimed at me. To be on the safe side I had a look at my "awaiting approvals" and have to admit that one photo, The Old Ram, Tivetshall, Norwich was blurred and I have therefore deleted it.

Here are some more submissions which have been awaiting approvel for some time:-

Bar & Beyond, Chelmsford, 2 photos submitted 6/3/17
Slug & Lettuce, Chelmsford, 2 photos submitted 6/3/17
Walkabout, Chelmsford, 2 photos submitted 6/3/17
Merchant, Brentwood, 1 photo submitted 6/3/17
Farmhouse, Norwich, 2 photos submitted 22/6/17
Sugar Beat, Swainsthorpe, Norwich, 1 photo submitted22/6/17

Once again thanks.

ETA
31-08-2018, 16:20
I was wondering about things awaiting. I have quite a few at the moment, dating back a couple of years. Interestingly, I submitted a new pub last week - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/33139/ - which doesn't appear on the Pending Approval list, where as https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/29376/ does (it'd another very old one).

bcfczuluarmy
31-08-2018, 16:43
If you click pending approval on right hand side of pub page surely you can just copy and paste the complete list of outstanding pub pictures.

ETA regarding shut pubs being added I've had one since 2014 sat there after spotting it in homes under the hammer and that it wasn't on here but was shut.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/27014/ 2014-03-24 13:31:10

rpadam
31-08-2018, 17:49
ETA regarding shut pubs being added I've had one since 2014 sat there after spotting it in homes under the hammer and that it wasn't on here but was shut.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/27014/ 2014-03-24 13:31:10
Although not listed, that one turns out to be approvable so (for what it's now worth) listed...

ETA
31-08-2018, 18:57
... approvable ..

What are the criteria?

rpadam
31-08-2018, 19:12
What are the criteria?
Normally, what a dwarf can see it on the list of things to approve... but as bcfczuluarmy's recent post proves it turns out that there are also 'hidden' things that can be approved if they are advised by some other means.

ETA
31-08-2018, 22:25
Normally, what a dwarf can see it on the list of things to approve... but as bcfczuluarmy's recent post proves it turns out that there are also 'hidden' things that can be approved if they are advised by some other means.

Ah that's as clear as as an unfined ale.

sheffield hatter
31-08-2018, 23:18
Normally, what a dwarf can see it on the list of things to approve... but it turns out that there are also 'hidden' things that can be approved...

or not

...and this seems to be what's behind the photos that some people cannot see on the photos page (and are therefore unable to suppress) but which nevertheless appear on the pub summary page. At least, that's what I understood Dave to mean when we discussed this last week. Something about mysterious ways...wonders...perform...

bcfczuluarmy
03-09-2018, 18:22
Here is a pub showing 2 awaiting approval pictures The Kings Head (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63103/) any insight?

rpadam
03-09-2018, 18:36
Here is a pub showing 2 awaiting approval pictures The Kings Head (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63103/) any insight?
Indeed, but they are not visible for a mere dwarf to approve unfortunately...

Perry
03-09-2018, 20:00
Good Evening all.

Once again I am totally confused with this terminology.

Having contributed photos for many years, and, I have to add, spent a good sum of money on transport in doing so is it in any way possible to answer my questions:-

How long will it take to "approve" my current submissions? They are not all years old - some are recent.

I am led to believe that photos are "approved" the same day. I am sure that this could be true if my submissions are "visible" (whatever this means), perhaps somebody could explain in plain language?

In view of the replies to my original post it seems that those who have editing access are not all united.

Somebody has had the time to make a comment on my profile to describe me as a "splitzer swallower. Well for your information whoever I am 68 years of age, I imbibe every evening and my average consumption is 6 pints per session. Grow up.

Conrad was good.

oldboots
03-09-2018, 21:08
How long will it take to "approve" my current submissions? They are not all years old - some are recent.

I am led to believe that photos are "approved" the same day. I am sure that this could be true if my submissions are "visible" (whatever this means), perhaps somebody could explain in plain language?

The second sentence is the answer to the first. In, hopefully, plain language the seven dwarves have an additional button on the pubs part of Pubs Galore - see attached photo. It is on the right marked admin links and clicking on it brings up the page shown. As you can see there are no alterations or pictures awaiting approval shown. Ignore the pubs shown as waiting approval those are another bug. When a dwarf clicks on a link in the waiting approval list the pub pictures page appears and the unapproved photos will be at the bottom of the page and when a photo is selected there is a button to approve that photo. The bug is that some submitted pictures do not appear on this list and only sometimes show up on the pub page, sometimes they don't. I don't know the reason for this and it probably has existed since the site was built.

Somebody has had the time to make a comment on my profile to describe me as a "splitzer swallower. Well for your information whoever I am 68 years of age, I imbibe every evening and my average consumption is 6 pints per session. Grow up.

This is not a comment made by someone, the sobriquet "Spritzer Swallower" is attached by the system according to the number of posts you have made, I believe after a certain number of posts you can change it to something more suitable, mine is "old & bitter", others have for example "Pub researcher (unpaid)" or "Humble Wordsmith", it is edited by clicking on the word "settings" at the top right of the screen, then "edit profile" in the "my settings" box on the left; the second item down is marked "Custom User Title" and may allow you to change the words.

Perry
04-09-2018, 14:31
Thanks Old Boots for taking the time to reply.

There seems little point in making further contributions to PG at this time as it appears to me that somebody is deliberately hiding my photos so that you guys cannot approve them. I do not understand why this is being done but I have a strong suspicion.

Good luck.

oldboots
04-09-2018, 15:41
Thanks Old Boots for taking the time to reply.

There seems little point in making further contributions to PG at this time as it appears to me that somebody is deliberately hiding my photos so that you guys cannot approve them. I do not understand why this is being done but I have a strong suspicion.

Good luck.

No you are quite wrong, no-one is deliberately hiding your photos, I found some of mine that weren't visible and I have discovered them from other posters as well, it is a software bug not a conspiracy.

Aqualung
11-09-2018, 22:51
Going back to the original point of this thread, there is already so much worthless dross listed on this site and that continues to get added to by a few usual suspects who I doubt make any effort to establish whether they are adding a "pub".
It's got to the stage where I rely more on What Pub for a new area.

oldboots
12-09-2018, 14:34
Going back to the original point of this thread, there is already so much worthless dross listed on this site and that continues to get added to by a few usual suspects who I doubt make any effort to establish whether they are adding a "pub".
It's got to the stage where I rely more on What Pub for a new area.

yep, just had one that's a B&B that someone wanted to add, no hint that they'd been in and checked you could buy a drink.

bcfczuluarmy
12-09-2018, 18:32
Based on WP additions in some areas you'll end up trying more dross than people have added on here. I think it comes down to going in them and making your own decision.

Example of some of Bristol CAMRA WP entries I've not been to well may have but haven't thought worthy of adding.

Bishopston Bristol Somerville Club 23 Sommerville Road BS7 9AD
Bristol Central Bristol Bar Buvette 31 Baldwin Street BS1 1RG
Bristol Central Bristol Bar Haus, Vivo Sports & Gym Club Welsh back BS1 4SB
Bristol Central Bristol Cafe Revival 56 Corn Street BS1 1JG
Bristol Central Bristol Dockyard Cafe Bar Gas Ferry Road BS1 6TY
Bristol Central Bristol The Dog House 12 St Stephens Street BS1 1EL
Bristol Central Bristol Kush Bar & Club 22 Denmark Street
Bristol Central Bristol La Tomatina 2-4 Park Street BS1 5HS
Bristol Central Bristol The Milk Thistle Quay Head House, Colston Avenue BS1 1EB
Bristol Central Bristol Piccolino Broad Weir BS1 3BZ
Bristol Central Bristol Popworld 16-24 Baldwin Street BS1 1SE
Bristol Central Bristol Source Food Hall and Cafe 1-3 Exchange Street, St Nicholas Market BS1 1JW
Bristol Central Bristol Spitfire Barbecue 1 Hanover Quay BS1 5JE
Bristol Central Bristol Sticks'N'Broth 48-52 Baldwin Street
Clifton Bristol Agora 55 Park Street BS1 5NT
Clifton Bristol Bar 100 Students Union
Clifton Bristol Bijou 135 Whiteladies Road BS8 2PL
Clifton Bristol Bosco Pizzeria 96 Whiteladies Road BS8 2QX
Clifton Bristol Dristis St Paul's Road
Clifton Bristol Evo 96a Whiteladies Rd BS8 2QX
Clifton Bristol Hausbar 52 Upper Belmont Road BS8 2XP
Clifton Bristol Hyde & Co 2 The Basement, Upper Byron Place BS8 1JY
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Bella Italia Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Bristol Golf and Country Club Blackhorse Hill BS10 7TP
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Chiquitos Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Frankies & Benny's Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Hollywood Bowl Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Eastville Bristol Eastville Club New Stadium Road BS6 6NL
Filton Bristol Frankies & Benny's Abbeywod Retail Park BS34 7JL
Hengrove Bristol Frankies & Benny's Hengrove Leisure Park BS14 0HR
Horfield Bristol Bristol Rovers Football Club Bar Filton Avenue BS7 0BF
Kingsdown Bristol Psychopomp 145 St Michael's Hill BS2 8DB
Knowle Bristol South Bristol Sports Centre West Town Lane BS14 9EA
Longwell Green Bristol Chiquitos Aspects Lesiure Park BS15 9LA
Longwell Green Bristol Frankies & Benny's Aspects Lesiure Park BS15 9LA
Redland Bristol Timeless 24 Chandos Road BS6 6PF
Staple Hill S Gloucestershire Royal British Legion Kendall Road BS16 4NB
St. Philips Bristol Hollywood Bowl Avonmeads BS2 0SP
Whitchurch Bristol Action Indoor Sport Bamfield BS14 0XA

I know some will have draught, some are elite cocktail bars where nobody wants to really do, some are just odd etc etc but WP deem them as worthy of adding for people to consider.

Delboy20
12-09-2018, 19:16
Based on WP additions in some areas you'll end up trying more dross than people have added on here. I think it comes down to going in them and making your own decision.

Example of some of Bristol CAMRA WP entries I've not been to well may have but haven't thought worthy of adding.

Bishopston Bristol Somerville Club 23 Sommerville Road BS7 9AD
Bristol Central Bristol Bar Buvette 31 Baldwin Street BS1 1RG
Bristol Central Bristol Bar Haus, Vivo Sports & Gym Club Welsh back BS1 4SB
Bristol Central Bristol Cafe Revival 56 Corn Street BS1 1JG
Bristol Central Bristol Dockyard Cafe Bar Gas Ferry Road BS1 6TY
Bristol Central Bristol The Dog House 12 St Stephens Street BS1 1EL
Bristol Central Bristol Kush Bar & Club 22 Denmark Street
Bristol Central Bristol La Tomatina 2-4 Park Street BS1 5HS
Bristol Central Bristol The Milk Thistle Quay Head House, Colston Avenue BS1 1EB
Bristol Central Bristol Piccolino Broad Weir BS1 3BZ
Bristol Central Bristol Popworld 16-24 Baldwin Street BS1 1SE
Bristol Central Bristol Source Food Hall and Cafe 1-3 Exchange Street, St Nicholas Market BS1 1JW
Bristol Central Bristol Spitfire Barbecue 1 Hanover Quay BS1 5JE
Bristol Central Bristol Sticks'N'Broth 48-52 Baldwin Street
Clifton Bristol Agora 55 Park Street BS1 5NT
Clifton Bristol Bar 100 Students Union
Clifton Bristol Bijou 135 Whiteladies Road BS8 2PL
Clifton Bristol Bosco Pizzeria 96 Whiteladies Road BS8 2QX
Clifton Bristol Dristis St Paul's Road
Clifton Bristol Evo 96a Whiteladies Rd BS8 2QX
Clifton Bristol Hausbar 52 Upper Belmont Road BS8 2XP
Clifton Bristol Hyde & Co 2 The Basement, Upper Byron Place BS8 1JY
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Bella Italia Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Bristol Golf and Country Club Blackhorse Hill BS10 7TP
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Chiquitos Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Frankies & Benny's Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Cribbs Causeway Bristol Hollywood Bowl Merlin Road BS10 7SR
Eastville Bristol Eastville Club New Stadium Road BS6 6NL
Filton Bristol Frankies & Benny's Abbeywod Retail Park BS34 7JL
Hengrove Bristol Frankies & Benny's Hengrove Leisure Park BS14 0HR
Horfield Bristol Bristol Rovers Football Club Bar Filton Avenue BS7 0BF
Kingsdown Bristol Psychopomp 145 St Michael's Hill BS2 8DB
Knowle Bristol South Bristol Sports Centre West Town Lane BS14 9EA
Longwell Green Bristol Chiquitos Aspects Lesiure Park BS15 9LA
Longwell Green Bristol Frankies & Benny's Aspects Lesiure Park BS15 9LA
Redland Bristol Timeless 24 Chandos Road BS6 6PF
Staple Hill S Gloucestershire Royal British Legion Kendall Road BS16 4NB
St. Philips Bristol Hollywood Bowl Avonmeads BS2 0SP
Whitchurch Bristol Action Indoor Sport Bamfield BS14 0XA

I know some will have draught, some are elite cocktail bars where nobody wants to really do, some are just odd etc etc but WP deem them as worthy of adding for people to consider.

What a terrible list!

There may be the odd gem amongst it but good luck finding it. There are quite a few clubs listed on Whatpub- always been a grey area for me.

If they are open to the public then fine but if it is for Camra members only I'm not so sure. There are a few by me that I could add but I haven't yet.

Delboy20
12-09-2018, 19:19
Now we have gone back onto topic (sort of) I still have 1 pending photo - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/29837/

It isn't the clearest I have ever taken but there are much worse that have been approved. I'd be interested to know why it hasn't been approved? Not sure which one of the "dwarves" approved my Whitby pictures - maybe this one was just missed?

rpadam
12-09-2018, 19:39
Now we have gone back onto topic (sort of) I still have 1 pending photo - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/29837/

It isn't the clearest I have ever taken but there are much worse that have been approved. I'd be interested to know why it hasn't been approved? Not sure which one of the "dwarves" approved my Whitby pictures - maybe this one was just missed?
There is nothing visible to approve here?

Delboy20
12-09-2018, 20:58
That is odd - it is visible to me!

I will submit it again.

Delboy20
12-09-2018, 20:59
I can now see the picture twice - 2 awaiting approval.

rpadam
12-09-2018, 21:41
I can now see the picture twice - 2 awaiting approval.
The new one you just added is now approved, so I guess that you are the only one who can see the original (which can be deleted as a duplicate).

Delboy20
13-09-2018, 18:37
The new one you just added is now approved, so I guess that you are the only one who can see the original (which can be deleted as a duplicate).

Cheers for that - I have deleted the other one.

Just another bug in the system I suppose.

Perry
13-09-2018, 20:01
I submitted a bar in Clacton recently. It is in the Grosvenor Hotel. It has a large banner on the wall of the building stating that the Grosvenor Bar is open to all. The facebook page of this establishment states that the bar is open to non residents until 2300 daily. My submission has been deleted without reason. At one time an email was sent explaining the reason for rejection - no longer it seems. Small businesses in Clacton, especially bars, are struggling, and I really do feel those who show a bit of enterprise should be supported rather than dodgy chains that claim to be pubs.

Please get together a draw up a set of guidelines as to what is acceptable as a pub. Keep to these and delete all submissions that fall outside your criteria, but give us the opportunity to have our say on the discussion. The name Pubs Galore is self explanatory. Perhaps it should be changed to CAMRA Pubs Galore? It would also be helpful if the alleged bugs could resolved in order that our bona fide submissions could be recognised and if rejected the reason why. Is this not too much to ask? Good manners perhaps?

I have over one hundred unapproved photos on your website. Can anybody tell me if they will ever be approved and if not why not? They are all of real pubs so what is the problem?

This is the third attempt to send this message. Another glitch probably.
Anyway,

oldboots
14-09-2018, 09:11
I submitted a bar in Clacton recently. It is in the Grosvenor Hotel. It has a large banner on the wall of the building stating that the Grosvenor Bar is open to all. The facebook page of this establishment states that the bar is open to non residents until 2300 daily. My submission has been deleted without reason. At one time an email was sent explaining the reason for rejection - no longer it seems. Small businesses in Clacton, especially bars, are struggling, and I really do feel those who show a bit of enterprise should be supported rather than dodgy chains that claim to be pubs.

Please get together a draw up a set of guidelines as to what is acceptable as a pub. Keep to these and delete all submissions that fall outside your criteria, but give us the opportunity to have our say on the discussion. The name Pubs Galore is self explanatory. Perhaps it should be changed to CAMRA Pubs Galore? It would also be helpful if the alleged bugs could resolved in order that our bona fide submissions could be recognised and if rejected the reason why. Is this not too much to ask? Good manners perhaps?

I have over one hundred unapproved photos on your website. Can anybody tell me if they will ever be approved and if not why not? They are all of real pubs so what is the problem?

This is the third attempt to send this message. Another glitch probably.
Anyway,

My on-line searches only showed this to be a B&B, no link was provided to facebook or a website and they didn't show up, there was no review saying anything about the place so "Due Diligence" meant it was referred. Submissions are not "deleted" they are referred to Dave for him to make a decision on whither to include or not.

If your pictures can't be seen by the seven dwarves we have no way of approving them, you need to start listing them again and we can sort them out but as we are volunteers who just help Dave out we do not have the time to go searching for them.

The guidelines are informal but tend to follow the Camra one, you must be able to walk in and buy a drink (beer; as it's pubs not cocktail bars galore) without having to buy a room or meal and the place should be open to all without discrimination on any grounds including age and clothing, which incidentally is why I approved the chip shop you suggested.

Dave runs the site so it's up to him to sort out any bugs and notifications. I don't really want to have to try to send messages to contributors, who can load up to 100 photos each in one session, that this photo or another is of the wrong pub, upside down, or it's the 15th photo of a nail bar that used to be a pub, out of focus or doesn't show any more than a dirty bus window, etc etc etc - people should self-edit the dross not just play a numbers game.

Perry
14-09-2018, 10:23
Old Boots,

Thanks for that. I shall resubmit all of my awaiting approval photos starting today, to be done as time permits. And no, I am not Matthew Jones or any other person. I would not waste my time with such crap but alas, the images were approved were they not?

Perry

Perry
14-09-2018, 13:05
As suggested I have resubmitted around 50 pictures, London, Sheffield, Chelmsford, Ipswich. Can anybody see them?

Thanks.

oldboots
14-09-2018, 14:32
Old Boots,

Thanks for that. I shall resubmit all of my awaiting approval photos starting today, to be done as time permits. And no, I am not Matthew Jones or any other person. I would not waste my time with such crap but alas, the images were approved were they not?

Perry

24 photos are listed for approval but none from you, could you post a list of the pub names? Dave really needs to investigate this bug.

Perry
14-09-2018, 20:21
24 photos are listed for approval but none from you, could you post a list of the pub names? Dave really needs to investigate this bug.

I will attempt to give you the details over next couple of days. Thanks.

I resubmitted photos of the Olde Kings Head in Epsom tonight. These were sent via a Chrome book and attached portable drive rather that my usual PC. The photos appeared on recent activity but then vanished into thin air! What a surprise!

Perry.

oldboots
14-09-2018, 20:46
I will attempt to give you the details over next couple of days. Thanks.

I resubmitted photos of the Olde Kings Head in Epsom tonight. These were sent via a Chrome book and attached portable drive rather that my usual PC. The photos appeared on recent activity but then vanished into thin air! What a surprise!

Perry.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/35697/
There was one picture of the outside of the pub three times and one of the pub sign twice so the two different pictures are now approved, and no they didn't show up in the "for approval" list which is just weird.

Perry
15-09-2018, 09:05
Thanks again, this is interesting.

I submitted quite a few photos for Epsom pubs. Some were approved, others not.

The following are still unapproved but in light of what you found regarding Ye Olde Kings Head could you please check them to see if they appear on the pubs pages. I have not resubmitted any more at this stage.

Rocket Bar
The Amato
Barley Mow
The Ladas
Lime
The Queens Head
The Railway Guard
The Rising Sun
The Salthouse
The Spread Eagle
Wellington
The White Hart
White Horse.

I have deleted the duplicated photos of the Ye Olde Kings Head.

Cheers.

Perry

rpadam
15-09-2018, 10:59
I submitted quite a few photos for Epsom pubs. Some were approved, others not.

The following are still unapproved but in light of what you found regarding Ye Olde Kings Head could you please check them to see if they appear on the pubs pages. I have not resubmitted any more at this stage.
Rocket Bar - 2 pictures found and approved
The Amato - 2 pictures found and approved
Barley Mow - 2 pictures found and approved
The Ladas - 2 pictures found and approved
Lime - 2 pictures found and approved, renamed Minature and shown as open
The Queens Head - 2 pictures found and approved
The Railway Guard - 2 pictures found and approved
The Rising Sun - 2 pictures found and approved
The Salthouse - 2 pictures found and approved
The Spread Eagle - 2 pictures found and approved
Wellington - 2 pictures found and approved
The White Hart - 2 pictures found and approved
White Horse - 2 pictures found and approved

Perry
15-09-2018, 12:04
Many thanks for sorting these out. The following are more entries, this time in Bermondsey SE1/SE16, which have not been approved:-

214 Bermondsey
Anspach & Hobday
Barrel Project
Bianca Road Brewery & Taproom
The Bottle Shop
BUMP Caves
The Doodle Bar
The Fleece
The Fort
The George
The Grange
Hawkes Cidery & Taproom
Hiver Taproom & Shop
Lassco Ropewalk
The Other Room
Brew By Numbers
The Kernel Brewery
The Lion
Moor Beer Brewery Taproom
The New Concorde
The Queens Arms
St James of Bermondsey
UBREW
The Red Cow
Southwark Brewing
The Victoria
The White Bear.

Thanks again.

oldboots
15-09-2018, 17:03
Those are all there and most have been approved including Doddle Bar in spite of the scaffolding tower and Lassco Ropewalk which is basically a photo of a gate.

The photos referred to Dave are:

Fleece (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/75593/) - there are already 4 photos of this pub closed since at least 2011, one is enough in my book and most other people's I suggest.
George (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/55491/) - the photo of the sign is out of focus.
New Concorde (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/23892/) - closed pub with 2 photos already.
Red Cow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/75602/) - closed and demolished, a photo of the replacement building is there already.

Apart from getting thoroughly bored looking at pictures of railway arches I noticed lots of the other photos were actually of vans; Bottle Shop (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/83231/) was particularly special as not only were there vans, there are some rather fetching pictures of portaloos and bins.

Mobyduck
15-09-2018, 19:36
Those are all there and most have been approved including Doddle Bar in spite of the scaffolding tower and Lassco Ropewalk which is basically a photo of a gate.

The photos referred to Dave are:

Fleece (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/75593/) - there are already 4 photos of this pub closed since at least 2011, one is enough in my book and most other people's I suggest.
George (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/55491/) - the photo of the sign is out of focus.
New Concorde (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/23892/) - closed pub with 2 photos already.
Red Cow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/75602/) - closed and demolished, a photo of the replacement building is there already.

Apart from getting thoroughly bored looking at pictures of railway arches I noticed lots of the other photos were actually of vans; Bottle Shop (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/83231/) was particularly special as not only were there vans, there are some rather fetching pictures of portaloos and bins.

Where's a like button when you need one,

Perry
16-09-2018, 11:34
Here are some more unapproved photos, all in Sheffield.

Some have been submitted twice, on somebodys advice. I will delete the duplicate images if and when the originals are approved.

The Bankers Draft
Dempseys Bar
Matilda Tavern
Moorfoot Tavern
The Red Lion
Roebuck Tavern
The Runaway Girl
Yorkshireman Rock Bar
Head of Steam
The Fat Cat
Kelham Island Tavern
Shakespeares.

Cheers.

sheffield hatter
16-09-2018, 13:17
Here are some more unapproved photos, all in Sheffield.

Some have been submitted twice, on somebodys advice. I will delete the duplicate images if and when the originals are approved.

The Bankers Draft
Dempseys Bar
Matilda Tavern
Moorfoot Tavern
The Red Lion
Roebuck Tavern
The Runaway Girl
Yorkshireman Rock Bar
Head of Steam
The Fat Cat
Kelham Island Tavern
Shakespeares.

Cheers.

All the above have now been completed. You will need to delete the duplicates on all but the last four. (I'm not sure there's any purpose in resubmitting your photos - just let us have a list of those that have not been approved yet. If the unapproved ones are not available for approval, we'll let you know.)

bcfczuluarmy
16-09-2018, 19:37
The way to beat void/earth chasm glitch is resubmit then remove lost pictures I've found in the past. Not cricket possibly but gets the desired result.

rpadam
16-09-2018, 19:43
The way to beat void/earth chasm glitch is resubmit then remove lost pictures I've found in the past. Not cricket possibly but gets the desired result.
That's usually the quickest way to get things moving...

oldboots
16-09-2018, 20:24

Sounds like a plan worth trying

Just seen that actually it's not a good plan for Perry as it just makes more unnecessary work for Dave.

sheffield hatter
16-09-2018, 20:36

Sounds like a plan worth trying

Unless the resubmitted photos also fall into the chasm....

bcfczuluarmy
16-09-2018, 21:47
If you lump them in with a few other pictures it seems to work fine.

Perry
17-09-2018, 10:53
Thanks for approving my Sheffield photos. I have removed the duplicate submissions as promised.

There are not many unapproved shots left to check out now, here are some, all from London:-

The Pagination E14
Dirty Martini EC2
The Salt Point Bar EC2
The Lighthouse EC2
The Cannick Taps EC4
The Vestry EC1
Simmons EC1
The Piano Works EC1
Grill On The Market EC1
Craft Beer Co EC1
Clerkenwell & Social EC1
Bourne & Hollingsworth Buildings EC1
Be At One EC1
The Argyle EC1
Benugo SE1
The Beer House SE1
Cabin SE1
Natural Kitchen SE1

Cheers.

oldboots
17-09-2018, 13:50
They're all approved except the duplications - please delete them, and Simmons EC1 where it's the wrong branch.

oldboots
17-09-2018, 13:52
Unless the resubmitted photos also fall into the chasm....

yes they do.

Perry
18-09-2018, 10:48
They're all approved except the duplications - please delete them, and Simmons EC1 where it's the wrong branch.

Thanks,

The duplicates have been removed and some other shots which upon reflection are not too good.

These are the remaing photos awaiting approval:-

Bar & Beyond, Chelmsford
Slug & Lettuce, Chelmsford
Bootmaker, Chelmsford
Merchant, Brentwood
Shamrock, Ipswich
Thomas Wolsey, Ipswich
Thrasher, Ipswich
Farmhouse, Norwich
Vine Tavern, Tenterden.

Cheers.

oldboots
18-09-2018, 12:24
Thanks,

The duplicates have been removed and some other shots which upon reflection are not too good.

These are the remaing photos awaiting approval:-

Bar & Beyond, Chelmsford
Slug & Lettuce, Chelmsford
Bootmaker, Chelmsford
Merchant, Brentwood
Shamrock, Ipswich
Thomas Wolsey, Ipswich
Thrasher, Ipswich
Farmhouse, Norwich
Vine Tavern, Tenterden.

Cheers.

All done.