PDA

View Full Version : Weird Beer Of Any Week

Tris39
17-08-2018, 18:56
Thornbridge Wye: "A Delicate Pale Ale lightly hopped with the unique and refreshing aroma of cucumber", and no joke. I hate cucumbers and this tasted of nothing but; I can still taste it. The ale doesn't feature on the Thornbridge website.

rpadam
17-08-2018, 19:06
Thornbridge Wye: "A Delicate Pale Ale lightly hopped with the unique and refreshing aroma of cucumber", and no joke. I hate cucumbers and this tasted of nothing but; I can still taste it. The ale doesn't feature on the Thornbridge website.
With "over 1000 cucumbers used in the brewing process", it sounds like it should be called Thornbridge Why...

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/product.php?s=wye12

Tris39
17-08-2018, 19:18
With "over 1000 cucumbers used in the brewing process", it sounds like it should be called Thornbridge Why...

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/product.php?s=wye12

LOL my sentiments exactly! It is listed under their bottle section with the caveat that "THIS ITEM CANNOT BE DELIVERED OUTSIDE OF THE MAINLAND UK". It shouldn't have been delivered outside the brewery, imho.

Mobyduck
18-08-2018, 06:30
I liked it. :rolleyes:

Komakino
18-08-2018, 08:16
I had a Watercress Ale from Paradigm recently. Seeing as watercress pretty much tastes of nothing ("peppery" suggested the pump clip) it came across as more of a decent session ale than anything else... Have also encountered Thornbridge Wye in bottled format. A friend of mine once described cucumber as "just a long, thin green tube full of water".

Farway
18-08-2018, 13:04
With current glut around I imagine many home brewers / gardeners will be gearing up for courgette something or other

aleandhearty
18-08-2018, 16:12
I had a Watercress Ale from Paradigm recently.

Does a pint count as one of your five a day?

london calling
18-08-2018, 20:33
Wye has been around for years on cask.I sort of like it.There is something nice about it and something strange so I can understand your feelings.
have also had Paradigm -watercress. Waste of a good salad ingredient imo.

Aqualung
18-08-2018, 21:12
Wye has been around for years on cask.I sort of like it.There is something nice about it and something strange so I can understand your feelings.
have also had Paradigm -watercress. Waste of a good salad ingredient imo.

I agree, a sandwich made from stilton with a mixed rocket and watercress salad is sheer heaven.
Salad ingredients don't belong in beer, herbs yes. I once made a beetroot beer, it was a lovely colour but had no flavour at all.

london calling
18-08-2018, 21:34
They have a Honey Dew Melon pale ale 4.5 coming soon so you have something to look forward to.

london calling
18-08-2018, 21:35
Rocket?You cannot be serious.

Farway
19-08-2018, 13:25
I once made a beetroot beer, it was a lovely colour but had no flavour at all. I did same but made wine, it was excellent but it never tasted of beetroot, which was good

Tris39
19-08-2018, 18:21
They have a Honey Dew Melon pale ale 4.5 coming soon so you have something to look forward to.

I recently had cask Shipyard Melonhead with a subtle and refreshing hint of melon. A gentle kiss on the lips from a melon was a pleasant surprise, but being beaten about the head with a cucumber is just too much. I've also had a cask ale that tasted of stilton - I forgot what it was so it may again catch me out by rearing its ugly foaming head!:eek:

Delboy20
20-08-2018, 17:53
I once visited the Garlic Farm on the Isle Of Wight. Now I like garlic but the garlic beer they sell was horrible.
I didn't expect it to be nice and it wasn't. It may be the only beer I haven't finished!

Mobyduck
20-08-2018, 22:47
Arbor Lime In The Coconut was a strange concoction that shouldn't work, yet I kind of liked it here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25473/).

ROBCamra
21-08-2018, 07:18

It's not the first cucumber beer. I tried this one from Roosters last year on cask. It was filth.

https://untappd.com/b/rooster-s-brewing-co-jubilee-anniversary-cucumber-pale-ale/2590311

Mobyduck
21-08-2018, 18:42
The Adnams keg Cucumelon is really nice, that is if you like cucumber and melon in beer, it would seem that most don't.

bcfczuluarmy
21-08-2018, 22:07
Arbor Lime In The Coconut was a strange concoction that shouldn't work, yet I kind of liked it here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25473/).

That's an amazing drink.... I know the owner of the brewery so I may be biased, despite never have drunk it.

Spinko
22-08-2018, 05:35
I had a strange pint by Wilde Child the other day, a mango and passionfruit milkshake IPA. And then a second!

Salopian once did a peppermint mild they had to flog for a quid a pint eventually in their Shrewsbury pub - doubt they repeated that experiment!

Rhubarb can work well, I recall a Fernandes or Ossett pint with this ingredient in their Wakefield brewery tap (well worth a visit!)

aleandhearty
22-08-2018, 11:32
I had a strange pint by Wilde Child the other day, a mango and passionfruit milkshake IPA. And then a second!

Rhubarb can work well, I recall a Fernandes or Ossett pint with this ingredient in their Wakefield brewery tap (well worth a visit!)

The WC beer is Opaque Reality, which I rather liked as well (BOTW?). With the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival being every February, there are always several rhubarb flavoured beers in the local pubs. I suspect the Fernandes beer you're thinking of is Rhubarb & Custard, which is OK, but the best one I've come across is Yorkshire Heart Rhu-bar.

Tris39
22-08-2018, 18:27
The WC beer is Opaque Reality, which I rather liked as well (BOTW?). With the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival being every February, there are always several rhubarb flavoured beers in the local pubs. I suspect the Fernandes beer you're thinking of is Rhubarb & Custard, which is OK, but the best one I've come across is Yorkshire Heart Rhu-bar.

I've had homemade rhubarb Champagne and it was fantastic. I think that if something works in a fruit salad, then it might work in a beer but if you'd find it in a vegetable salad, leave it in a bowl imho.

Aqualung
22-08-2018, 20:31

Blue Monkey did a Blubarb and Custard earlier in the year which I really liked. I used to make Rhubarb and Strawberry wine which was a fantastic combination.

london calling
22-08-2018, 21:51
I think rhubarb really works in beer.Mint never.

aleandhearty
23-08-2018, 10:40
I think that if something works in a fruit salad, then it might work in a beer but if you'd find it in a vegetable salad, leave it in a bowl imho.

A pretty decent rule of thumb.

I used to make Rhubarb and Strawberry wine which was a fantastic combination.

I can see how the tartness of the rhubarb would offset the sweetness of the strawberries.

Wittenden
23-08-2018, 13:30
A pretty decent rule of thumb.

I can see how the tartness of the rhubarb would offset the sweetness of the strawberries.

Yet to try a rhubarb enhanced beer-hope I get on better than with plums or cherries! Going slightly off topic, do they still sweeten rhubarb in Yorkshire with Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata)? I found some seed near Gunnerside, and it still grows in the garden.

aleandhearty
24-08-2018, 15:13
Yet to try a rhubarb enhanced beer-hope I get on better than with plums or cherries! Going slightly off topic, do they still sweeten rhubarb in Yorkshire with Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata)? I found some seed near Gunnerside, and it still grows in the garden.

Mmm. If you don't like plums and cherries in beer, I suspect rhubarb's not going to do a lot for you. Regarding Sweet Cicely, I'd never heard of the combination before, to be honest, but quite a few online crumble recipes feature it as an ingredient. So, will investigate further and definitely try it at some stage.

Aqualung
24-08-2018, 15:34

That's it really, strawberry only wine is pretty horrible. Mango wine was good and is another fruit that has been used in beer. Plum, Blackberry and Elderberry with optional cinnamon and cloves was another good one. There's something in elderberries that considerably boosts the fermentation, although I wouldn't recommend a beer with that lot included!

Mobyduck
24-08-2018, 19:15
That's it really, strawberry only wine is pretty horrible. Mango wine was good and is another fruit that has been used in beer. Plum, Blackberry and Elderberry with optional cinnamon and cloves was another good one. There's something in elderberries that considerably boosts the fermentation, although I wouldn't recommend a beer with that lot included!

Cinnamon and cloves should be nowhere near a beer, nor should ginger come to that, in my opinion of course. Don't like Titanic Plum Porter, yet happy with Blackberry , Elderberry and Cucumber In beer. :confused:

Aqualung
24-08-2018, 19:54
Cinnamon and cloves should be nowhere near a beer, nor should ginger come to that, in my opinion of course. Don't like Titanic Plum Porter, yet happy with Blackberry , Elderberry and Cucumber In beer. :confused:

Cinnamon and Cloves
Typically used in ghastly sweet Xmas brews. ELB nailed it a few years ago with a stronger spicy one.

Ginger
I like a good ginger beer! I had a well made Brunswick one earlier this year and Enville Ginger is OK.

Cucumber
I've yet to try the delights of this but it's so tasteless I can't see how it can work. I'll stick with it in a cheddar sandwich

Plum Porter
I quite like it but always find that after a pint the plum flavour is overpowering. I prefer their Cheery Dark and a plum one from Hobsons or was it Ludlow?

Years ago in the William IV they started using a tube that you could insert in the line between the cask and the bar which you could stuff full of anything you wished to flavour the beer. The one that worked for me was Hackney Red and Rosemary.

london calling
24-08-2018, 20:11
Had a bottle of Meantime -Christmas spiced porter last week.Dont like spices in beer and was not surprised to find it totally undrinkable.