PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 29th July 2018)

ROBCamra
29-07-2018, 21:09
:cheers:

Thuck Phat
30-07-2018, 09:55
Quiet week hence BOTW is Poppylands Sepoy (bottle). Described as an Indo-American IPA and brewed with both curry and kaffir lime leaves. It worked for me and at 5% was eminently drinkable.

aleandhearty
30-07-2018, 14:56
Decent week for me. With Mrs a&h being on leave, I actually managed three sessions. Pretty rare these days.

North Riding - Session Pale v35.*
Bad Seed - Ratau.
Thornbridge - Beerkeepers.
Titanic - Plum Porter.*
Empire - Italian Job.
Salamander - Dark Monk.
Tigertops - Hop Seeker.*
Wigan Brewhouse & Five Towns - Fascination.
Five Towns - Owt 'll Do.*
Hilltop - Golden Ale.
Magpie - Silver.
Little Critters - Incubator.
Little Critters - Ambassador.
Ridgeside - Parkside.
Horbury - First Light.
Tigertops - Peti Novice.
Great Newsome - Holderness Dark.
Sunbeam - Shepherds Delight.
North Riding - NE IPA.*
North Riding - Cascade.*
Tigertops - 4Blonde.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel Mild.*
Abbeydale - Piracy.

Easy winner was the Hop Seeker, a pale ale with an incredibly long bitter finish. Some Tigertops beers have been a bit below par of late, but this was right back to their best. Wonderful stuff.

oldboots
30-07-2018, 15:27

enjoyed at the Brewery Tap.

Aqualung
30-07-2018, 15:30
A very small list this week due to abandoning days out on Tuesday and Thursday because of the heat.

Hilltop Golden Ale 4.1%
Tigertops Peti Novice 4.5%
Ossett Excelsior 5.2%
Five Towns Fascination 5.5%
Fernandes Double Chinned IPA 5.5%
Theakston's Old Peculier 5.6%
Little Critters Nutty Ambassador 6.0%

Only the Hilltop Golden Ale was in poor condition, I'm going for the Fernandes Double Chinned IPA as tried for £3.35 at the Fernandes Tap.
The Nutty Ambassador appeared to be an attempt to recreate the taste of Ferrero Roche chocolates and I thought was quite successful but I'm not sure I could have managed a second and third.

BOTW Fernandes Double Chinned IPA

aleandhearty
30-07-2018, 15:49
A very small list this week due to abandoning days out on Tuesday and Thursday because of the heat.

Hilltop Golden Ale 4.1%
Tigertops Peti Novice 4.5%
Ossett Excelsior 5.2%
Five Towns Fascination 5.5%
Fernandes Double Chinned IPA 5.5%
Theakston's Old Peculier 5.6%
Little Critters Nutty Ambassador 6.0%

Only the Hilltop Golden Ale was in poor condition, I'm going for the Fernandes Double Chinned IPA as tried for £3.35 at the Fernandes Tap.
The Nutty Ambassador appeared to be an attempt to recreate the taste of Ferrero Roche chocolates and I thought was quite successful but I'm not sure I could have managed a second and third.

BOTW Fernandes Double Chinned IPA

As your list largely chimes with mine, I've a good idea where you visited: Wakefield Beer Exchange, Black Rock, The Hop, Black Horse, Harry's Bar and Fernandes Tap! I only had a half of the Nutty Ambassador, but that was enough. Even then, I didn't know whether to drink it, or drizzle over a slice of toast.

Mobyduck
30-07-2018, 16:49
More decent stuff in the past week.

Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Triple fff Pressed Rat And Warthog
Heritage St Modwens
Animal Manta Ray
Spitting Feathers Brainstorm
Ramsbury Hop In Thyme
Stealth Ambush
North Yorkshire NY Porter
Adnams Ghost Ship (cask)
Adnams Ghost Ship (Keg, low alchohol)
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Thornbridge Wye
Goose Island IPA
Camerons Ahopalypse Now
Fyne Ales Jarl
Otter Bright
Whitstable Kent Coast
St Peters Citrus Beer
St Peters Cream Stout

Nearly all beer was in good condition bar a couple ( heat related), BOTW is Fyne Ales Jarl taken in Hermits Cave (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54816/), review waiting in the wings.

Aqualung
30-07-2018, 18:23
As your list largely chimes with mine, I've a good idea where you visited: Wakefield Beer Exchange, Black Rock, The Hop, Black Horse, Harry's Bar and Fernandes Tap! I only had a half of the Nutty Ambassador, but that was enough. Even then, I didn't know whether to drink it, or drizzle over a slice of toast.

Almost correct, I didn't go to the Black Horse and the decent OP was in the Spoons. I would have popped in the Old Printworks but was put off by all the BT & Sky Sports banners.
I was tempted to make the Nutter BOTW as it was excellent and a good temperature but really it was just too sweet.

london calling
30-07-2018, 20:09
Lots of fruity hoppy beers this week but this one stood out from the new English Trappist brewery.Bottle and glass bought by my thoughtful daughter
Mount St Bernard -Tynt Meadow Belgian style but quality.
(there must be a pun about animals and sex with that brewery name but I don't get it)

Bucking Fastard
30-07-2018, 20:16
Hertford and London.

Big Smoke -- Electric Eye Pale Ale * (bottle)
McMullens -- Rivertown Brewing Midas (3PT)
Howling Hops -- Pale *
Weird Beard -- Mariana Trench
Burning Sky -- Aurora *(3PT)
Moor -- Nor'Hop *
Fullers -- Gales HSB
Hammerton --N1
Diageo -- Guiness (keg)

BOTW goes to Burning Sky Aurora on top form in The Euston Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71412/) on a long session.

Next week looks thin.

Wittenden
30-07-2018, 21:44
Kent:

Angels and Demons: Goldilocks is Dead 5.3%abv: an outstanding pale ale.Some oiliness from the oats,strawberries and a long bitter finish.The only beer rated Exceptional so far this year. I've been enjoying this indoors in bottled form, but the cask at The Black Dog (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81509/) was a revelation.

london calling
02-08-2018, 21:18
Kent:

Angels and Demons: Goldilocks is Dead 5.3%abv: an outstanding pale ale.Some oiliness from the oats,strawberries and a long bitter finish.The only beer rated Exceptional so far this year. I've been enjoying this indoors in bottled form, but the cask at The Black Dog (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81509/) was a revelation.
Had the Goldilocks beer last night at Egham beer fest and it was very good but the only beer of the night that was too warm.Shame on them.