PDA

View Full Version : Pub grub. What is it?

Dave M
18-06-2010, 16:26
I'm in the middle of a Padstow pub crawl and making a point of looking at the menus to try to help me compose some reviews. I just found myself about to say 'traditional pub grub' but found myself wondering what that is. I'm looking at a menu with a burger, fish & chips, ham egg & chips, ploughmans and lasagne.

Those are the kind of things that do it for me and are what I expect to see in a pub rather than a place with pretentions of being a restaurant. I just wonder what others think, should a pub only do pork scratchings, crisps, pickled eggs and of course chocolate?

Rex_Rattus
18-06-2010, 21:00
Nice one this Dave. I use the term "pub grub" quite regularly in my reviews so I should have some idea of what I think it is. All the things you mention qualify. It must be unpretentious. Sausages, pies (can be steak & ale), basic lasagne, sandwiches, burgers, and the such like all qualify. Steak is OK as long as it comes with chips and doesn't have some poncy foreign sauce over it. It has to be reasonably priced. But once you start charging £10 for a homemade burger with caramelised onions and rocket salad with parmesan shavings then you have crossed the line from "grub" to "cuisine". And the other thing that disqualifies anything from being pub grub is the use of French in its description. Anything with "au jus" in the description is so far offside that it shouldn't be seen in a pub let alone be described as pub grub. I doubt whether it is possible to produce a list of every type of food that qualifies as pub grub, because regional variations will probably apply, but the things that don't qualify will be immediately obvious to anyone who uses pubs regularly.

Millay
18-06-2010, 21:01
That sounds like traditional pub grub to me as well Dave. I always think if there no more than say 6 things on the menu or if there’s a dish of the day board it seems more pub grub than restaurant food. Unfortunately you are just as likely to see lime & coriander crab cakes with rocket salad and Peruvian vinaigrette on a pub menu these days than bangers & mash.

Alesonly
19-06-2010, 01:32
My Idea of Pub grub is
Pork Pies' Sausage Rolls Toasted Sandwiches Like Cheese & Onion' Ham & Cheese' Egg & Bacon' Bacon & Cheese Etc .
Hot Pies like Steak & Ale' Chicken & Mushroom' Beef'' Steak & Kidney' Chicken & Ham' Etc With Mash not Chips. Pickled Eggs. Scotch Eggs. Pork Scratchings Nuts & Crisps.
None of this fancy or over priced muck Just some thing too soak up the Ale..:whistle:

Maldenman
19-06-2010, 07:15
Filled rolls wrapped in clingfilm are rarely seen anymore but are just the job sometimes for that quick cheap food fix. Also a relic from the past are those heated trays or shelves that contained pies, pasties and sausage rolls.

If it has to be meals then I prefer simple stuff, ploughman's, a bowl of chilli, perhaps sausages or scampi and chips but not too much fried stuff as the smell of cooking oil and vinegar are a bit off-putting. A good Sunday roast is fine though provided that all the tables aren't set for eating.

arwkrite
19-06-2010, 12:36
Not many places do a fresh roast beef sandwich with a choice of English Mustard or Horse Radish Sauce these days. Or sandwiches of ham cut freshly off the bone. You only get mild flavoured cheese or something supposedly Stilton.Whatever happened to the cheese so sharp it shriveled the inside of your mouth ? It went great with local made chutney and a pint of beer. Some pubs do provide low quality food. Sausages and meat pies from a " Value " chain store with warm up chips.What reads well on the menu, when it arrives, can so often be a disappointment.If the price charged is low that can give an idea of whats coming but it aint necessarily so. I love a good pie........I will murder that Dave...my diet is shot to hell . Off to the fridge now !

Strongers
20-06-2010, 07:23
I use the term 'pub grub' a lot and I would read it as burgers, pies, sausages, ploughmans etc. I would class nuts, crisps and pork scratchings as bar snacks and if I spotted Pickled or Scotch eggs I would make a point of mentioning them by name as they are so rarley seen in London.

Farway
20-06-2010, 15:12
I also use term Pub Grub often, to me it is sort of traditional stuff one could readily cook at home, or your mum did, generally under a tenner, or maybe even a fiver

It would include fish & chips, bangers & mash, pasty maybe, ham, egg & chips, beef & ale pie, burgers. Would not include lasagna, hand cut chips, venison, pasta of any form or shape, bowls of chlili

I think pub grub does depend upon area as to what is traditional, deep fried pizza may well classify in Scotland, as could haggis, neeps & tatties or mutton pies I guess. Maybe pie & liquor in some parts of London? I suggest all of these would seem pretentious in other parts of the UK

I would not differentiate between mash or chips for some meals, fish & chips yes, but bangers can go with chips,as as can any pie go with either

Ref local customs, I was horrified in Chester when the pie, chips & salad arrived with gravy on the chips & salad :sick:

NickDavies
20-06-2010, 19:05
...Also a relic from the past are those heated trays or shelves that contained pies, pasties and sausage rolls...

I worked somewhere on and off 30 odd years ago where the only food available came from such an apparatus. "The Pie Machine" it was called. Its contents, supplied I imagine by Walls or Bowyers were kept for hours at exactly the right temperature to incubate the finest strains of salmonella, and indeed anything left in it when it was turned off at closing time remained there when it was turned back on the next morning. I don't recall it ever being cleaned in my two years of its acquaintance. That we never killed anyone is, in hindsight, a miracle.

arwkrite
21-06-2010, 10:25
If the pie had been there long enough the contents were so tough it could crack your teeth. Happy days. Should we really be complaining about the wide variety of food now available in pubs ? Are we stick in the muds viewing the past in rose coloured glasses ? Holidays abroad have raised the expectations of many people as to what a bar should serve.Despite what is said I believe the cafe society has caught on in Britain but, like so many things, we have adapted it to our own tastes.Turning the clock back may be more difficult than we think.

Conrad
21-06-2010, 12:41
Despite what is said I believe the cafe society has caught on in Britain but, like so many things, we have adapted it to our own tastes.Turning the clock back may be more difficult than we think.
An interesting interpretation, you may well be on to something there.

aleandhearty
21-06-2010, 14:18
A very simple question, that could take a doctoral thesis to do it justice!

I've got very mixed emotions about pub food. As a keen home cook and someone who looks after their diet, my expectations are quite high. Although cheap doesn't necessarily equate with nasty, it very often does. Therefore I'm willing to pay a bit more for quality ingredients and fare that isn't dripping in saturated and trans fats.

I think choice is key, with a full spectrum being available, either through different venues, but ideally in the same pub. It's interesting that people mention lasagne and chilli as traditional fare. Thirty years ago they were probably the Thai fishcakes of their day. And that's the thing. Our food culture is evolving rapidly, albeit at a very polarised level. The third generaton of cheap foreign travellers, who don't shop at Iceland, are pushing forward our ideas about food at a great rate.

As someone who is passionate about beer, wine and food, I don't understand how someone can wax lyrical about a fine ale and then stuff down a crappy sausge roll to accompany it.

arwkrite
22-06-2010, 04:07
I cannot remember the last time I had a decent sausage roll. They must be the most forgotten of foods when it comes to making something good. Pop to Iceland or Tesco and buy a bag of a hundred. These tasteless objects are normally the only thing left on a pub buffet. My local butcher makes his far to peppery, like his pork pies. ( Actually I think its his Mum that makes them and perhaps she dont see so good these days.)

Those nice people ( ? ) at NICE are now asking that transfats be banned from processed foods. By that I mean any food out of a factory.Of course a spokesperson for the industry said that Britain led the world in producing healthy products.

If you had put a lasagne or chilli or even a curry in front of my parents in the 1960's it would have been deemed " Foreign Muck " and not fit for the cat or dog.You knew what day of the week it was by what appeared on your plate and "Foreign Muck" was not allocated a day. I am glad we no longer live with such narrow tastes in food but admit to finding it a real pain some times deciding what to eat.

It was so much easier when we only had bread and water. Gaoler ,tell the chef the fillet steak was rubbishy

Farway
22-06-2010, 14:42
Not often found, and not what I would term "pub grub" but substitute "pig in a blanket" made with local butcher's, preferably free range meat, bangers for sausage roll and it is paradise in your gob

Not a pub I know, but RHS Wisley has superb ones :)

Alesonly
22-06-2010, 18:45
The problem is Pub Grub for me needs too be Light & filling but not too heavy so as too put me off Drinking.
A Pie or Pasty on Its own is OK or a Nice selection of Extra Strong Cheeses With Crackers or Ham & Cheese Sandwich is perfect but I would very rarely eat a full meal in a Pub because it would put me off the evenings drinking. I would much Prefer too eat after a good session so tend too go more for snack type foods.

Eddie86
22-06-2010, 19:44
I find it quite frustrating at times. Offering a wide choice, people say it must all be frozen. Offer too narrow a selection, and your on to a looser. One thing I do look for, and try and employ in the bar, is using the specials for the things more up market.

I really don't like, when I actually get time off with my better half and a baby sitter, is going into a pub, seeing the (nothing wrong with) standard pub food, thinking 'I fancy something a bit special' and spotting the blackboard offering exotic fayre such as beer battered haddock instead of cod. Give me a lamb shank and I'm happy!

By the way, things at the pub are staying busy, hence the lack of time on here. Apologies!

Conrad
23-06-2010, 12:33
Fantastic that you apologise for being busy ;) Hopefully it is the good sort of busy.

Taking my cue from the other thread, still having staffing problems?

aleandhearty
23-06-2010, 17:25
I would much Prefer too eat after a good session..

Absolutely. You can't eat on an empty stomach. :) I take your point about not being bloated too much, there's nothing worse.

an_ecumenical_matter
23-06-2010, 20:00
My favourite pub in the world-

12 ales

1 food choice per day,eat it or leave it

and its always busy.

http://nagsheadreading.com/home.php#food

Alesonly
23-06-2010, 20:10
My favourite pub in the world-

12 ales

1 food choice per day,eat it or leave it

and its always busy.

http://nagsheadreading.com/home.php#food

Now that sounds just like my sort of Pub.

arwkrite
23-06-2010, 20:18
When I visited last June they had a pretty good menu . I had a lovely pie and mash and mushy peas.

Conrad
24-06-2010, 14:26
What pub grub isn't is nacho chips with half a bottle of tomato ketchup a sprinkling of cheese and a hint of sour cream. Just in case I ever suggest it again Dave, we are not to order food at the Hatchet, no matter how much I think I need to soak up the Best.

arwkrite
25-06-2010, 06:03
Nachos......A victory for the recycling woodchip industry. Flavourless rubbish that only tastes of what you pour onto it. Lawd knows what the profit margin is on that dish.:sick:

Conrad
25-06-2010, 11:38
Great for soaking up beer though. At least they should be, not convinced that tomato ketchup is the way to make them palatable though, it really was the sort of effort I would have been proud of making when I was 8.

Kake
28-06-2010, 20:15
Filled rolls wrapped in clingfilm are rarely seen anymore but are just the job sometimes for that quick cheap food fix.

I actually had a dream about these the other week. It was so realistic that I spent some time the next day trying to work out which pub I'd seen them in, but eventually concluded that it was just wishful thinking.

rpadam
28-06-2010, 20:42
I actually had a dream about these the other week. It was so realistic that I spent some time the next day trying to work out which pub I'd seen them in, but eventually concluded that it was just wishful thinking.
I was going to say that the last time I found filled rolls wrapped in cling film was in the Great Western in Wolverhampton, but then I remembered that the King & Castle in Kidderminster still offers these culinary delights... Something to do with pubs which have railway associations?

Millay
29-06-2010, 05:48
I was going to say that the last time I found filled rolls wrapped in cling film was in the Great Western in Wolverhampton, but then I remembered that the King & Castle in Kidderminster still offers these culinary delights... Something to do with pubs which have railway associations?
Near to Kidderminster, but with no railway connection, I found a basket of cling-filmed rolls in the Plough in Worcester. Great long rolls with thick roast beef and enough wholegrain mustard to blow your head off - twice :eek:

Farway
29-06-2010, 07:32

The Apsley House in Southsea also provides these delights, as well as standard pub grub, oh and great beers from Downton brewery http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13956/

ROBCamra
29-06-2010, 08:58

Still available in the Kelham Island Tavern in Sheffield last Saturday and also seen recently in The Crescent in Salford.

Binka
09-04-2011, 15:22
As for pub grub I worked with those bread rolls in clingfilm (we are going back to 1989 though) some were sat on that shelf all day, never thought about putting them on/in a cooler. I like to think about it as The 'Subway' of the day.

Then my boss thought she would branch out to meals, she did have a big kitchen there. Then one Monday new people turned up and I had to run to Morrisons to buy frozen chips & the rest. They had all finished their drinks and gone before she had cooked anything, don't blame them for leaving.

Great pub, but why go down the 'food' route in the late 80's early 90's? We had cigs and everything.:D

ps. The cling film rolls tasted quite nice and got me into eating salad. Perhaps squashed tomatoes and lettice just taste good?

hondo
13-09-2013, 09:40
"chef Tom Kerridge's new tv show"
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Pub-Food/Chef-Tom-Kerridge-s-new-TV-show-to-air-later-this-month

Mobyduck
15-09-2013, 15:24
You still can't beat a good sized cheese (mature) and onion crusty roll with a pint of beer

Al 10000
15-09-2013, 15:45
You still can't beat a good sized cheese (mature) and onion crusty roll with a pint of beer

If you ever get to this pub The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7210/) you will get one of the best cheese and onion cobs you have ever had,you will have to wait while they make it,but there are some cracking beers on the bar while you wait and in a really nice pub to boot.

Aqualung
15-09-2013, 17:52

A tripe and onion souffle is a personal favourite of mine.

Mobyduck
15-09-2013, 18:16
Your'e just sick :sick:

Farway
17-09-2013, 17:52

Bleeughh :sick:

Farway
17-09-2013, 17:54

Yep, go with that, but may opt for soft crust, or a bap with these old gnashers

Aqualung
17-09-2013, 22:31
Your'e just sick :sick:

Yep, go with that, but may opt for soft crust, or a bap with these old gnashers

I hope you have realised that this is a "Spoof" dish!

I am actually an accomplished chef and my signature dish is pan fried "value" fish fingers served on a bed of Pot Noodles.

Mobyduck
17-09-2013, 22:51

I am actually an accomplished chef and my signature dish is pan fried "value" fish fingers served on a bed of Pot Noodles.
That sounds more like it.

Strongers
17-09-2013, 23:21

I just had that for dinner... chicken Super Noodles!!!

Farway
18-09-2013, 13:14

I hope it comes with a "jus" of ketchup

Aqualung
18-09-2013, 13:31
I hope it comes with a "jus" of ketchup

It's a Carlsberg Specail jus.

Farway
18-09-2013, 14:11
It's a Carlsberg Specail jus.

And is this Carlsberg Special jus served in a "goblet" or park bench rustic style?

NickDavies
18-09-2013, 14:24
in a little metal bucket along with the chips

Aqualung
18-09-2013, 15:04
And is this Carlsberg Special jus served in a "goblet" or park bench rustic style?

The recipe for it was given to me by a triple Michelin starred chef, at least I think that's what he said he was.

Farway
19-09-2013, 13:00
The recipe for it was given to me by a triple Michelin starred chef, at least I think that's what he said he was.

Was he slurring his words a bit? Or a Scottish chap named Gordon? Or both?