PDA

View Full Version : Short Measures

rpadam
02-07-2018, 20:35
From BBC News: "Birmingham beer glasses seized for being too small" (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44683757)

Aqualung
02-07-2018, 21:30
From BBC News: "Birmingham beer glasses seized for being too small" (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44683757)
It would be nice to see someone doing something about short measures in legal glasses that is still endemic everywhere (including Wetherspoons). I can't help thinking that staff are trained to provide a short measure by default. The most stupid thing is that London and the South never had a tradition of swan necks and big heads on beer but it came in obviously so all the expensive pubs could rip off the punters even more by giving a short measure.

NickDavies
03-07-2018, 07:12
I can't help thinking that staff are trained to provide a short measure by default.

Once moaned in a London Taylor Walker outlet that my Wifebeater* vase was filled about an inch short. I got another half inch but still demurred: those glasses aren't lined. I was told that if the rep caught them filling any further they'd get told off. Presentation of the drink, apparently. At knocking a fiver a pint that's a bout 50p a go they're rooking you for.

*Yes I know but I'd rather have less than a pint of Wifebeater than a whole pint of rancid GK IPA, and there wasn't time to seek out an alternative venue.

oldboots
03-07-2018, 16:31
... I can't help thinking that staff are trained to provide a short measure by default...

They also appear to be trained to take the money up front, present you with the short measure (in a sopping wet glass round these parts but that's another rant) and doing a runner before you can ask for the top up :moremad:

I got back at one of the buggers in Wigan when I gave them 95% of the price of a pint, I got a top up that time :D

sheffield hatter
03-07-2018, 21:31
I got back at one of the buggers in Wigan when I gave them 95% of the price of a pint, I got a top up that time :D

Nice one!

Soup Dragon
04-07-2018, 07:08

And that you paid in CAMRA vouchers, OB!

Quinno
11-07-2018, 22:46
It is very rarely an issue down my way. Good ol' flat pints!