PDA

View Full Version : Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

Aqualung
13-06-2018, 23:41
This may seem premature but it does seem to take so long to thrash out a venue and date and to get the best value tickets (and cheapo hotels) it needs to be done 12 weeks before the event.
I've come up with this list of places :-

Lancaster
Macclesfield
Newcastle
Durham
Sheffield

Two left field suggestions:-
Chesterfield
Chorley & Leyland

I hope others will come up with more ideas. I'd like to see an area of Manchester that was away from the City centre.

Mobyduck
14-06-2018, 19:56
This may seem premature but it does seem to take so long to thrash out a venue and date and to get the best value tickets (and cheapo hotels) it needs to be done 12 weeks before the event.
I've come up with this list of places :-

Lancaster
Macclesfield
Newcastle
Durham
Sheffield

Chesterfield
Chorley & Leyland

I hope others will come up with more ideas. I'd like to see an area of Manchester that was away from the City centre.

Preferably somewhere with cheap train ticket deals.:pray:

Soup Dragon
15-06-2018, 23:53
Manchester?

Aqualung
16-06-2018, 23:14
Preferably somewhere with cheap train ticket deals.:pray:

It seems to me that the problem for you is avoiding having to travel into London especially on a weekday out. I assume you would also have to pay through the nose to get through London.
My best suggestion would be to make a long weekend of it. Of course this is easy when you're retired and the only problem is that you never get a day off.
Getting advance rail tickets and hotel bookings is so much cheaper the further in advance you can do it. I'm going on the Severn Valley Railway at the end of the month and managed to get a night's stay in Stourbridge for around £30.00.

Aqualung
16-06-2018, 23:23
Manchester?

Just to clarify what I was getting at with Manchester. It has a great tram system and an all day ticket doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There must be a great crawl to be done from one end of the tram system to the centre. I don't know Manchester well enough to come up with a plan. To me the centre of Manchester has gone the same way as Leeds.
Last time I was there I had a fair bit of spare time so I ended up at Eccles with a robust JDW and a couple of Holt's pubs.

Bucking Fastard
18-06-2018, 09:30
Some very good points have been made about giving lots of time to book time off work,get advanced train tickets and secure good deals on hotel accomodation.Looking back we always seem to choose a date in November,so we may need to settle on a day by something like the end of July.

At this stage I'm free apart from Saturday Nov. 10th and Friday Nov.30th

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 10:43
Some very good points have been made about giving lots of time to book time off work,get advanced train tickets and secure good deals on hotel accomodation.Looking back we always seem to choose a date in November,so we may need to settle on a day by something like the end of July.

It's the north in autumn again*: the furthest north we've been in summer was Wellington last year! Next year can we do the north in summer, please?

I would like to propose that we do the autumn crawl a little earlier this year. We always go for November because of the pressure on train tickets with the school half terms in the final week of October. But that means it's dark around 5pm and potentially pretty cold and wet too. So what about Friday, 12th October? (Sunset 2nd November is 16:31; on 12th October it's 18:16.) Train tickets for this date will go on sale around the middle of July, I reckon. Surely we can make a decision by then...

*Liverpool - March 2012
Leeds - November 2013
York - March 2015
Hull - March 2016
Huddersfield - November 2016
Stockport - November 2017

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 10:48
Just to clarify what I was getting at with Manchester. It has a great tram system and an all day ticket doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There must be a great crawl to be done from one end of the tram system to the centre. I don't know Manchester well enough to come up with a plan. To me the centre of Manchester has gone the same way as Leeds.

This seems like the makings of a plan. (Imagine the trailer voiceover.) We've done the bus crawl in London and the train crawl between Wellington and Wolverhampton. Now Pubs Galore does: A Manchester tram crawl. I like it.

Now, who do we know with an intimate knowledge of Manchester?

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 11:06
It's the north in autumn again*: the furthest north we've been in summer was Wellington last year! Next year can we do the north in summer, please?

I would like to propose that we do the autumn crawl a little earlier this year. We always go for November because of the pressure on train tickets with the school half terms in the final week of October. But that means it's dark around 5pm and potentially pretty cold and wet too. So what about Friday, 12th October? (Sunset 2nd November is 16:31; on 12th October it's 18:16.) Train tickets for this date will go on sale around the middle of July.

I think that makes a lot of sense, it's before the clock change which makes the evenings an hour longer regardless of how far the sun has gone away. At the moment I've got a visit to Wales booked for early October and another unconfirmed one for the week after your proposed date so the 12th of October looks good to me. I don't think weather should be a constraint as it can throw a spanner in the works at any time of the year as I discovered last March. Even last Thursday when I travelled to Wolverhampton all the Scotland trains were ending at Preston. So, who can and can't make the 12th of October? I'm in!

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 11:30
Now, who do we know with an intimate knowledge of Manchester?

I didn't get a chance to speak to him on Thursday and I suspect he's gone away as he put two weeks BOTW entries up yesterday. I was surprised to find that Greater Manchester is one of my top review counties but I only know the odd pocket. Despite my connections with Wales I don't have the faintest idea where Ramsbottom is!

For me these tram systems are a great thing. I think I've used them all now, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Dublin.

hondo
18-06-2018, 11:50
I didn't get a chance to speak to him on Thursday and I suspect he's gone away as he put two weeks BOTW entries up yesterday. I was surprised to find that Greater Manchester is one of my top review counties but I only know the odd pocket. Despite my connections with Wales I don't have the faintest idea where Ramsbottom is!

For me these tram systems are a great thing. I think I've used them all now, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Dublin.
https://edinburghtrams.com/

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 12:05
https://edinburghtrams.com/

Ah yes, I remember seeing them but don't think I ever used one. It looked to me that it was mainly for the stadium and the airport. There is one in Brum which I did once use but I'm not sure why. When they extend it to Wolverhampton Station I'll take a closer look at it.

rpadam
18-06-2018, 12:10
There is one in Brum which I did once use but I'm not sure why. When they extend it to Wolverhampton Station I'll take a closer look at it.It did use to terminate near the station, but they re-routed the far end into the city centre.

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 12:12

Croydon (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/trams/)!

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 12:19
Croydon (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/trams/)!

I used it once to go to the George from East Croydon (how bone idle is that?). One day I will have to use it to go from the George to the Wimbledon Wibbas Down which should potentially provide a huge choice of beers.

oldboots
18-06-2018, 15:48
Friday, 12th October?

I'm ok with that date (so far), I suppose west of the Pennines needs to catch up with the drier side, what previous suggestions might be worth looking at again? And we've never done Scotland (or Wales).

However a Manchester tram crawl appeals to my inner anorak, a quick look at the GBG and tram map (https://www.tfgm.com/public-transport/tram/network-map) suggests the following may be the places we are looking for (number of GBG pubs in brackets). An all day off peak (after 9:30) ticket is £5.40.

Altrincham (4)
Bury (7)
Chorlton cum Hardy (6)
Oldham (3)
Rochdale (5) (if we must)
Salford (3)
Didsbury (2)
Audenshaw (1)

Bucking Fastard
18-06-2018, 16:26

I would like to propose that we do the autumn crawl a little earlier this year. We always go for November because of the pressure on train tickets with the school half terms in the final week of October. But that means it's dark around 5pm and potentially pretty cold and wet too. So what about Friday, 12th October? (Sunset 2nd November is 16:31; on 12th October it's 18:16.) Train tickets for this date will go on sale around the middle of July, I reckon. Surely we can make a decision by then...

*Liverpool - March 2012
Leeds - November 2013
York - March 2015
Hull - March 2016
Huddersfield - November 2016
Stockport - November 2017

The logic of doing a crawl in October is nicely made,and I would be happy with Friday 12th October.

Also very happy to make the Summer 2019 crawl somewhere oop North too,that seems fair.

Bucking Fastard
18-06-2018, 16:30
I used it once to go to the George from East Croydon (how bone idle is that?).

Guilty as charged,that's my usual route every other Saturday during the season :o

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 17:42
I've remembered another possibility Wigan so I'm adding that to, my original list along with a double entry for Manchester.

Wigan
Manchester (Tram)
Manchester (Trad)
Lancaster
Macclesfield
Newcastle
Durham
Sheffield

Chesterfield
Chorley & Leyland

Obviously there could be some overlap with the two Manchesters.

However a Manchester tram crawl appeals to my inner anorak, a quick look at the GBG and tram map (https://www.tfgm.com/public-transport/tram/network-map) suggests the following may be the places we are looking for (number of GBG pubs in brackets). An all day off peak (after 9:30) ticket is £5.40.

Altrincham (4)
Bury (7)
Chorlton cum Hardy (6)
Oldham (3)
Rochdale (5) (if we must)
Salford (3)
Didsbury (2)
Audenshaw (1)

I can comment on some of the above.

I had a deep sense of missed opportunity when I just went to the JDW in Altrincham.

My mate in Chingford went to Bury recently and was very enthusiastic although that may have been partly the East Lancs Railway.

Is Chorlton Cum Hardy on the tram? I went there a few years back and wasn't happy as it was all expensive trendy bars.

Rochdale and Oldham could be combined

I've drunk in Salford once some forty years ago. My one abiding memory is of Boddingtons before they ruined it. Has anyone been there since it all changed?
Eccles is on the same tram line.

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 17:55
Also very happy to make the Summer 2019 crawl somewhere oop North too,that seems fair.

Perhaps it could be in one of those borderline places so that a massive argument could ensue as to whether you are in the Midlands or Oop North.

oldboots
18-06-2018, 22:00
Is Chorlton Cum Hardy on the tram? I went there a few years back and wasn't happy as it was all expensive trendy bars.

Yes lines 5 and 6 (Rochdale - Didsbury and Victoria - Airport).

Just to be a miserable old bugger,

Wigan - I was there at the weekend and it's fine but maybe not quite enough good pubs
Lancaster - good but are there enough good pubs and there can be travel problems for anyone coming via Leeds/Settle (me)
Macclesfield - never been drinking there but looks good on first glance
Newcastle - been many a time but can be pricey on the ECML.
Durham - ditto but a nicer more compact city at least
Sheffield - lost count of the number of times I've been but if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK

Chesterfield - just not enough good pubs (and I can't stand the place).
Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking but it looks like plenty of pubs although the bus between Chorley & Leyland could be a problem.

rpadam
18-06-2018, 22:11
Macclesfield sounds quite promising from what I've seen recently and would be a new destination for me.

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 22:38
Macclesfield sounds quite promising from what I've seen recently and would be a new destination for me.

I haven't checked but there may be a problem with opening times. There certainly is earlier in the week than Friday. Back in the big six days it was something of a destination as there were lots of Robinson's and Marston outlets. Today any ones left are probably just optional extras.

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 22:52
The logic of doing a crawl in October is nicely made,and I would be happy with Friday 12th October.

Thanks, Nev. It wasn't just aimed at you, though. I hope others will agree (to both suggestions).

Aqualung
18-06-2018, 23:12
Yes lines 5 and 6 (Rochdale - Didsbury and Victoria - Airport).

Just to be a miserable old bugger,

Wigan - I was there at the weekend and it's fine but maybe not quite enough good pubs
Lancaster - good but are there enough good pubs and there can be travel problems for anyone coming via Leeds/Settle (me)
Sheffield - lost count of the number of times I've been but if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK

Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking but it looks like plenty of pubs although the bus between Chorley & Leyland could be a problem.

Don't apologise for being a miserable old bugger as I'm one as well. I make Jack Dee look like a Game Show Host.
I take your point about Wigan and Lancaster but think either might just be pushed far enough. The problem might be whether there is enough to attract the Southern contingent.
Macclesfield see post to rpadam.
Newcastle & Durham. It was the case that if you booked through Virgin East Coast you could get tickets up to 26 weeks in advance. I've got my annual pilgrimage to the Hare & Hounds above Hebden Bridge on the 07th July and a stay at Newcastle in August. I don't recall them being unduly expensive considering the miles involved. My problem with Durham is the steep hills!
Sheffield. I've mainly been to the Spoons and Kelham Island. There's a LOT more I would like to visit but that might well be left to my own journeys.
Chorley & Leyland. There's a train service between the two and whether you approach from Preston or Wigan you would get a day return to the furthest one. Obviously I only went there for the JDWs but I was impressed by quite a few other places.

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 23:18

Wigan - I agree: maybe not quite enough good pubs (I went there with Ray and Fiona two (?) years ago)
Lancaster - I can't see many coming up from the south (or from North Yorkshire ;)).
Macclesfield - looks good on first glance - I went there with Ray and Fiona three (?) years ago. Not sure there are sufficient good pubs within a reasonable area. Maybe it's got better since?
Newcastle - Helluva long train journey for southerners
Durham - I'd like to do this some time (but see Newcastle)
Sheffield - I agree: if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK. But maybe some people would like to do the usual suspects? (This is probably best done as a double header, with a tailor-made crawl on the Friday and those who haven't done the usual suspects (or who want to do them again) doing them on Thursday or Saturday.)

Two (very) left field suggestions:-
Chesterfield - I disagree with both your objections but it is indubitably in the bloody Midlands FFS
Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking there and not sure I ever will and it's also a bit of a slog for southerners (but there's a train between them every hour - only takes 11 minutes, so your objection about the buses may be nugatory?).

Which leaves us with Manchester...

PS Sorry if my answers chime/clash with Aqualung's - we were evidently writing at the same time!

oldboots
19-06-2018, 17:46
Two (very) left field suggestions:-
Chesterfield - I disagree with both your objections but it is indubitably in the bloody Midlands FFS
Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking there and not sure I ever will and it's also a bit of a slog for southerners (but there's a train between them every hour - only takes 11 minutes, so your objection about the buses may be nugatory?).
!

Chorley & Leyland. There's a train service between the two and whether you approach from Preston or Wigan you would get a day return to the furthest one.

I must have been deranged or something when I looked at the rail map I totally missed Leyland Station, with 11 GBG listed pubs between them I thought Leyland/Chorley looked good, but with a lot of micro's I guess that won't appeal to some ;).

We'll have to agree to disagree on Chesterfield, I don't really rate many of the GBG pubs and one of those I'd miss out due to ignorant staff, and another probably wouldn't appeal to all, which leaves the Chesterfield Arms and the Alehouse which isn't the best micro in Derbyshire; as for the non-GBG pubs - ugh. I see there are two new micro type places so I might be tempted to visit if I had some anesthetic in the Sheffield Tap first.

Point taken about distances to the North East for the poor southerners, so Macclesfield and Manchester are looking the favourites, both are good with me.

Is Derbyshire a Midland county? although I've heard both Cheshire and Oxfordshire referred to as "the Midlands", that's a bloody big middle if you ask me - dons tin hat.

sheffield hatter
19-06-2018, 18:24
Is Derbyshire a Midland county? although I've heard both Cheshire and Oxfordshire referred to as "the Midlands", that's a bloody big middle if you ask me - dons tin hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

I love it when Pubs Galore degenerates into Geography Galore! :evilgrin:

oldboots
19-06-2018, 19:34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

I love it when Pubs Galore degenerates into Geography Galore! :evilgrin:

Degenerate - that's a name that's been applied to me before, this looks a lot like definitions of "craft beer" - means exactly what I choose it to mean.

Someone tell Wikipedia, Buckinghamshire is definitely a Home County!

trainman
20-06-2018, 07:34
I don't understand why anyone on a day-visit to Sheffield would want to avoid what has been referred to as 'the usual suspects', or how this terrific beer town has avoided the PG juggernaut, to date...

oldboots
20-06-2018, 07:44
I don't understand why anyone on a day-visit to Sheffield would want to avoid what has been referred to as 'the usual suspects', or how this terrific beer town has avoided the PG juggernaut, to date...

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

Bucking Fastard
20-06-2018, 14:52
As far as I can gather 10 venues have been suggested ,which is a convenient number because that's the maximum number for a poll.

Lancaster
Macclesfield
Newcastle
Durham
Sheffield
Chorley & Leyland
Wigan
Chesterfield
Manchester
Manchester Tram System

Are more discussions/geographic debates needed before a poll ?

No objection so far to Friday 12th October ,are we closing in on a consensus on the date ?

Real Ale Ray
20-06-2018, 19:16
Can do 12th October, great idea to have it earlier Will

Gann
21-06-2018, 12:50
12th is good for me

sheffield hatter
21-06-2018, 12:55
As far as I can gather 10 venues have been suggested ,which is a convenient number because that's the maximum number for a poll.

Lancaster
Macclesfield
Newcastle
Durham
Sheffield
Chorley & Leyland
Wigan
Chesterfield
Manchester
Manchester Tram System

Are more discussions/geographic debates needed before a poll ?

It would be scandalous if you included Chesterfield in a poll of northern venues. :p

Soup Dragon
21-06-2018, 14:16
I don't mind where it is - and should not express any opinion is as the 12th is the day after my birthday so I have no idea if I will be able to go or not depending on if Mrs Soup has any secret plans for the event!

oldboots
21-06-2018, 15:03
It would be scandalous if you included Chesterfield in a poll of northern venues. :p

I have my doubts about SOUTH Yorkshire :D

sheffield hatter
21-06-2018, 15:29

Would Sheffield qualify if considered as part of the West Riding instead?

#GeographyGalore

AlanH
21-06-2018, 18:01

As Chesterfield is in the Midlands, if we just remove the "field"!

Chester has been asking a few times.

Bucking Fastard
21-06-2018, 18:32

That's an elegant solution to this controversy ;)

AlanH
21-06-2018, 20:08

Blackpool! :D

AlanH
21-06-2018, 20:37
I was surprised to find that Greater Manchester is one of my top review counties but I only know the odd pocket. Despite my connections with Wales I don't have the faintest idea where Ramsbottom is!

I lived in Ramsbottom for two years near to the GBG listed Major. It's a good little drinking town which is a 20 minute bus ride from Bury tram Station (or a steam train ride from Bury [Bolton Steet Station]).

I spent my first 40 drinking years in Manchester. Visited twice this year to the (mainly) new licence GBG bars and pubs around the Deansgate area which I thought to be very good.

rpadam
21-06-2018, 23:12

Chesterfield is further north than Chester!

AlanH
22-06-2018, 01:14

Ah, but Chester is in the "Northern" county of Cheshire, whilst Chesterfield is in the "Midland" county of Derbyshire. :evilgrin:

bcfczuluarmy
22-06-2018, 01:41
Between Chester Cathedral and The Crooked Spire the actual distance of Chesterfield is <1 mile more North....

Wittenden
22-06-2018, 08:52
Ah, but Chester is in the "Northern" county of Cheshire, whilst Chesterfield is in the "Midland" county of Derbyshire. :evilgrin:

Dammit! I always thought Cheshire was in the Midlands.

oldboots
22-06-2018, 09:03

North Midlands no doubt :whistle:

sheffield hatter
22-06-2018, 09:24

Would Sheffield qualify if considered as part of the West Riding instead?

Between Chester Cathedral and The Crooked Spire the actual distance of Chesterfield is <1 mile more North....

North Midlands no doubt :whistle:

I've finally succeeded in getting you all talking about geography. Conrad would be thrilled!

#GeographyGalore

oldboots
22-06-2018, 09:41
I've finally succeeded in getting you all talking about geography. Conrad would be thrilled!

#GeographyGalore

Ah the curse of thread drift.

Well we've just about got the runners and riders (need to decide if it's Chester :D or Chesterfield :mad: that goes into the mix as we now have 11 northish destinations) so all that remains is to run the poll. It looks like we've got the date too.

sheffield hatter
22-06-2018, 09:55
...need to decide if it's Chester :D or Chesterfield :mad: that goes into the mix as we now have 11 northish destinations.

Chester was in the March 2016 poll and scored five votes.

And after you condemned Chesterfield earlier in the thread, would anyone vote for it (even if it wasn't in the Midlands)?

Bucking Fastard
22-06-2018, 10:00

Well we've just about got the runners and riders (need to decide if it's Chester :D or Chesterfield :mad: that goes into the mix as we now have 11 northish destinations) so all that remains is to run the poll. It looks like we've got the date too.

The Chester/Chesterfield debate could rumble on forever ,so I hope nobody minds that I've gone with Chester.The closing date of the poll is set for 9th July so that folk on holiday get a chance to vote.

Aqualung
23-06-2018, 00:50
The Chester/Chesterfield debate could rumble on forever ,so I hope nobody minds that I've gone with Chester.The closing date of the poll is set for 9th July so that folk on holiday get a chance to vote.

In NUL Soup Dragon came up with the ultimate number 42 The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything. It went something like this :-

"It depends upon the perspective from which you look at it, and it doesn't matter anyway".

This was in response to a discussion as to who is the best Dr Who when he later wrongly said William Hartnell.

oldboots
23-06-2018, 08:44
Spookily the Today programme debated the North/South question this morning, is John Humphries one of us?

Here's something they put on Facebook, best comment: "who said this identity stuff is rational"

https://www.facebook.com/thetodayprogramme/videos/10156437561448895/

Soup Dragon
23-06-2018, 11:04
In NUL Soup Dragon came up with the ultimate number 42 The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything. It went something like this :-

"It depends upon the perspective from which you look at it, and it doesn't matter anyway".

This was in response to a discussion as to who is the best Dr Who when he later wrongly said William Hartnell.

I dispute the Harnell, Squire! I said Harnell with Ian, Barbara and Susan had the best dynamic between Doc and companions; Pat Troughton was the best Doc; Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) the best single companion; Jon Pertwee under Barry Letts and Terry Dicks had the most socially relevant stories; The Hinchcliffe years of Tom Baker's Doc were the best 'horror/Gothic' stories; Eccleston was the best of new Who, Martha the best companion and the programme was effectively destroyed under Moffat.

I think that proves I don't over analyse, I don't look at things from differing perspectives and it really doesnt matter to me :) :D

As to how the Chester/Chesterfield debate goes - I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me. :D

Aqualung
23-06-2018, 11:19
Spookily the Today programme debated the North/South question this morning, is John Humphries one of us?

Here's something they put on Facebook, best comment: "who said this identity stuff is rational"

https://www.facebook.com/thetodayprogramme/videos/10156437561448895/

John Humphreys? Isn't he Welsh?? What can he possibly know about the English Midlands??

With regard to Derbyshire, I regard Chesterfield as being the North but that's from a Southern perspective and I agree it's borderline. Anywhere in Derbyshire with a Stockport post code is ine the North, eg Buxton, Glossop and High Peak.

Aqualung
23-06-2018, 11:28
I dispute the Harnell, Squire! I said Harnell with Ian, Barbara and Susan had the best dynamic between Doc and companions; Pat Troughton was the best Doc; Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) the best single companion; Jon Pertwee under Barry Letts and Terry Dicks had the most socially relevant stories; The Hinchcliffe years of Tom Baker's Doc were the best 'horror/Gothic' stories; Eccleston was the best of new Who, Martha the best companion and the programme was effectively destroyed under Moffat.

Several Memory Management Violations must have affected my recollection of this!

I think that proves I don't over analyse, I don't look at things from differing perspectives and it really doesnt matter to me :) :D

And if proof were needed there's the bold typeface!

rpadam
23-06-2018, 11:29
I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me. :D
Well, that would place the Isles of Thanet and Sheppey in 'The North', so do I need a passport to get to the north Kent coast?

Soup Dragon
23-06-2018, 12:15
Well, that would place the Isles of Thanet and Sheppey in 'The North', so do I need a passport to get to the north Kent coast?

:D Just imagine!

Mobyduck
23-06-2018, 18:59

As to how the Chester/Chesterfield debate goes - I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me. :D

The historian speaks, ;), and I agree with Patrick Troughton and Elisabeth Sladen.Good work Soupy.

sheffield hatter
23-06-2018, 19:08

There seems to have been an epidemic while I was out this afternoon.

What exactly has Dr Who and needing passports to get to Thanet got to do with GeographyGalore?

Tris39
23-06-2018, 19:37

Pertwee with Jo Grant. But whether The Daemons or The Sea Devils is the better episode is a matter of debate. And don't forget: both featured Roger Delgado.:evilgrin:

Soup Dragon
23-06-2018, 23:33
Pertwee with Jo Grant. But whether The Daemons or The Sea Devils is the better episode is a matter of debate. And don't forget: both featured Roger Delgado.:evilgrin:

Thus speaks a man of taste!

Soup Dragon
23-06-2018, 23:35
The historian speaks, ;), and I agree with Patrick Troughton and Elisabeth Sladen.Good work Soupy.

Thank you, Squire

oldboots
24-06-2018, 10:13

I think I'll have to put in a bid for Tom Baker and Louise Jameson

Aqualung
24-06-2018, 22:07
I'm glad that the Manchester Tram option seems to be winning the poll as Chorley & Leyland includes a lot of micropubs with the problems of a crowd of drunks turning up mob handed, opening times, the owner being on holiday etc etc. In hindsight it may not have been a great suggestion but it's still well worth a visit.
I checked a few of the Macclesfield opening hours and it looks like any problems can be worked around on a Friday.

ROBCamra
27-06-2018, 10:44
Right I'm back and I'm afraid it's time to rain on the parade a bit.

If you want to do a Manchester tram crawl you will have to choose areas fairly close together.

It might look like no distance on a map, but for example from Rochdale it's 20 - 25 minutes to Oldham,
40 - 50 minutes to Manchester and 1hr 20 minutes to Chorlton.

Rochdale & Bury are on non connecting lines and you would have to go almost into Manchester to change to a tram to Bury from Rochdale.

Rochdale has 4 good pubs and another one that used to be. Oldham has 1, plus maybe a half for The JDW.

Chorlton has loads of good/very good bars, but they are bars rather than pubs.

Altrincham is easier by ordinary railway rather than tram.

Bury has a few good pubs but once again is quite a trip out of Manchester.

My hybrid suggestion would be to do some of the pubs in Manchester and then get a tram out to one other area.

If not there's going to be a lot of time on trams and not much time in pubs.

sheffield hatter
27-06-2018, 11:52
Right I'm back and I'm afraid it's time to rain on the parade a bit.

My hybrid suggestion would be to do some of the pubs in Manchester and then get a tram out to one other area.

If not there's going to be a lot of time on trams and not much time in pubs.

Glad you're back!

My much more limited knowledge of the Manchester tram network, combined with my experience of doing public transport crawls using Sheffield's much less extensive tram system led me to have doubts about this idea. (But I was a bit wary of raining on anyone's parade.)

My solution in Sheffield has been to use a combined bus and tram ticket, which works pretty well - especially as the good pubs are not necessarily anywhere near to tram stops!

As an example, I've been looking at Eccles recently, as there are some heritage pubs there that I want to do, plus the last game of the Super League schedule has the Rhinos away at Salford. The tram terminus at Eccles is a seriously long way from Piccadilly, and if you don't much fancy Sam Smiths or Holts, there's not a lot in the way of beer - too many former Greenall Whitley pubs! Similar objections would apply, as you have pointed out, to Rochdale, Oldham and Bury. Central Manchester, on the other hand, has some cracking good traditional pubs (Britons Protection, Peveril of the Peak, Hare & Hounds, Marble Arch) mixed in with some modern bars for those who like that sort of thing.

If the Greater Manchester Tram System wins the poll and becomes the "will of the people", there might have to be some fudging of the negotiations so that we don't spend too much time on trams!

hondo
27-06-2018, 11:59
a little out of date but https://thcamra.org.uk/index.php/pubs/pubs-by-tram

Aqualung
27-06-2018, 19:51

One of the options I'd envisaged was getting a tram out and then coming back and including some of the Central Manchester ones. At the moment Bury looks the best option to me. The only one I've been to of the four mentioned is the Marble Arch and I intended to revisit until I saw the ridiculous prices they are charging.

sheffield hatter
27-06-2018, 21:57
The only one I've been to of the four mentioned is the Marble Arch and I intended to revisit until I saw the ridiculous prices they are charging.

When I mentioned Britons Protection, Peveril of the Peak, Hare & Hounds, Marble Arch that was just off the top of my head - it wasn't meant to be a definitive list! I'm not a huge fan of the Marble Arch pub and I don't like the vast majority of the Marble Arch brewery's beers [gasp!] but it would be an odd crawl of Manchester pubs that didn't at least put its head round the door.

One of the options I'd envisaged was getting a tram out and then coming back and including some of the Central Manchester ones. At the moment Bury looks the best option to me.

The tram to Bury takes more than half an hour. And a similar time returning to Manchester. If I was visiting Manchester for the first time myself, and someone had recommended three or four pubs in Bury, I would be onto that tram like a shot. But when it comes to recommending a pub route to a bunch of experienced piss artists like you find on Pubs Galore, a more inclusive approach is required, I would suggest.

In my view it's desirable on a lengthy crawl to split the drinking up a bit with a ten minute walk or a short bus, tram or train ride. Please shoot me down if you disagree, but half an hour or more is stretching it a bit. And then half an hour back as well?

I think we're in danger of being seduced by the romance (or novelty) of the tram. By comparison, if I were to propose a pub crawl in Sheffield with a side trip by train to Barnsley - would there be any takers? Or even when the tram extension from Sheffield to Rotherham finally opens later this year?

Thought not.

(Apologies to both Barnsley and Bury. Nothing personal. But no apologies to Rotherham - I was there today: a couple of nice pubs with local Chantry beers. But worth the extra trip out there for people who've already travelled two hours or more to get here? I don't think so.)

oldboots
28-06-2018, 07:22
Well it looks like anything involving trams is an non-starter other than getting to and from the chosen venue.

Are we going to rerun the poll without trams or just ignore it and go with whatever turns out top on the 9th July?

ROBCamra
28-06-2018, 08:04
I think we're in danger of being seduced by the romance (or novelty) of the tram.

If anyone really, really, really wants to get on the tram you can do, they're free in central Manchester if you have a rail ticket.

In fact for people who don't know the area it's a good way to get from Piccadilly station to Victoria station for example. :cheers:

PS I think OB is correct we probably need a rerun of the poll.

AlanH
28-06-2018, 12:45
Well it looks like anything involving trams is an non-starter other than getting to and from the chosen venue.

Are we going to rerun the poll without trams or just ignore it and go with whatever turns out top on the 9th July?

As Manchester (central) is a close 2nd at the moment, we should leave the poll as it is. If 'either' Manchester wins, we can decide ourselves where to drink (as Will suggested for the Newcatle trip, although ignored until later :whistle:).

It could be a mixed train/tram trip. Eccles 8 mins by train (23 by tram), Rochdale 14 mins, Ashton-under Lyne 10 mins (researched by Trainman :evilgrin:)
Chorlton must be the favorite tram ride (9 minutes from Deansgate) with about 24 Real Ale outlets within 10 mins walk. Most of them bars but around 6 older pubs.
A few tram hopping minutes down the same line is West Didsbury then Didsbury Village. More trendy bars and a few older pubs. The prices might make the Southerners feel at home!
Eccles is a complete culture shock from Chorlton/Didsbury. It had not lost a pub from WW2 until the 1980's. It has lost quite a few since so not as good as it was but still has old street corner locals and larger ornate pubs. The prices will be a more pleasant shock!

Aqualung
30-06-2018, 11:14
I'm going to share the two options I didn't vote for. The first was Chester which I didn't like much when giving it a go after the JDW Bull & Stirrup (which I knew as a Higson's pub). The second was Manchester Central which seems to have changed completely from my memories of it. I've seen the prices they charge in the Marble Arch and just refuse to go there.
Apart from that I've been to the Port Street place which was abysmal and the Robinson's Castle, a really nice squalid dive transformed into a poncy place with candles. I went to one near Piccadilly Gardens that wasn't too bad. The other problem I have with Manchester is that it's a LARGE city with potentially long walks in between pubs.
I've been to Chorlton and I'd rather eat my own arm than ever return to that trendy dump. Even the JDW had some hipster idiot vaping away and of course the staff didn't notice. I think to be fair the poll should be rerun with the same end date. I'm happy to see the tram option removed along with Chorley & Leyland as it's mostly micropubs. I only suggested the tram option for Manchester as I assumed there must be something that could be done.
That leaves the possibility of adding somewhere and I'm going Left Field again with Glasgow which is definitely North!
If Manchester gets the nod I'll probably still start off in Bury. The comparison with Rotherham seemed very harsh! Obviously this wouldn't just be a day trip.
I'm still pleasantly surprised that two of my suggestions have actually gone ahead even though neither of them were conventional.

oldboots
30-06-2018, 11:55
How about a quick poll re-run with the top 4 plus some earlier / new suggestions?

Sheffield (either usual suspects / unusual suspects or both as choices? depending on how many haven't done the usuals)
Chorley / Leyland
Manchester
Wigan

plus previous and latest suggestions
Glasgow
Bury
Lincoln
AN Other
AN Other 2
AN Other 3

Aqualung
30-06-2018, 12:38
How about a quick poll re-run with the top 4 plus some earlier / new suggestions?

Sheffield (either usual suspects / unusual suspects or both as choices? depending on how many haven't done the usuals)
Chorley / Leyland
Manchester
Wigan

Glasgow
Bury
Lincoln
AN Other
AN Other 2
AN Other 3

I'm not really advocating Bury as a viable venue, it's just somewhere I'd like to visit (rather like the Holy Inadequate on the NUL trip). Chorlton and Leyland has the problem of being largely micropubs. The ones in NUL were generally larger than what I recall.

Bucking Fastard
30-06-2018, 14:43

Chorley / Leyland
Manchester
Wigan

Glasgow
Bury
Lincoln
AN Other
AN Other 2
AN Other 3

Quite happy to have a poll re run,but are you suggesting two Sheffield options ,one including Kelham Island pubs (Fat Cat,Harlequin,Kelham Island Tavern,Shakespears,Ship Inn,Wellington ) and one excluding Kelham Island. The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?

sheffield hatter
30-06-2018, 15:09
Quite happy to have a poll re run,but are you suggesting two Sheffield option ,one including Kelham Island pubs (Fat Cat,Harlequin,Kelham Island Tavern,Shakespears,Ship Inn,Wellington ) and one excluding Kelham Island. The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?

I think we are going round in circles. Glasgow is just one red herring too far.

From the voting so far, I don't think anyone is going to object if we just plump for Manchester this time. If, when the route has been discussed, some people also want to use the tram to go elsewhere in the larger conurbation, that'll be their choice. Likewise Bury or Altrincham.

Despite what Aqualung says, there are still some cracking good pubs in central Manc, and if there's too much walking for some, there are buses and trams. (As ROBCamra pointed, a train ticket is valid on the tram in the central area (https://www.tfgm.com/public-transport/tram/network-map). Also there is PlusBus.)

Let's leave Sheffield for another time.

oldboots
30-06-2018, 15:13
The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?

I would say the usual suspects is pretty much the "Valley of Beer" running down from the Hillsborough /New Barrack Tavern via the Gardeners Rest and The Wellington onto Kelham Island finishing at the Harlequin or Shakesperes. For anyone who hasn't been to Sheffield this is the must do pub crawl and for that reason ought to be a choice. There are other great pubs in Sheffield starting from the Tap and moving on to, say, the Rutland then either round the centre or out further perhaps; of course that may include some other "usual suspects" the Devonshire Cat and Bath Hotel in particular. There was a mini-crawl of Sheffield on Bastille Day 2014.

Of course luckily I live in the north so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide.

Aqualung
30-06-2018, 18:18
I think we are going round in circles. Glasgow is just one red herring too far.

It was a serious suggestion!

From the voting so far, I don't think anyone is going to object if we just plump for Manchester this time. If, when the route has been discussed, some people also want to use the tram to go elsewhere in the larger conurbation, that'll be their choice. Likewise Bury or Altrincham.

Agreed

Despite what Aqualung says, there are still some cracking good pubs in central Manc.

I've only mentioned three, the Castle, Port Steet and Marble Arch! The only others I remember from long ago are the three in Portland Street, a Hydes one somewhere not far from Piccadilly, the Lees one opposite the Castle, a Lees one in the Canal area which was the only place open because of football, a free house near the River Irwell and a big Holts place at the bottom of Cheetham Hill.

Let's leave Sheffield for another time.

I imagine it would take some doing deciding what to include and what to to leave out.

I would say the usual suspects is pretty much the "Valley of Beer" running down from the Hillsborough /New Barrack Tavern via the Gardeners Rest and The Wellington onto Kelham Island finishing at the Harlequin or Shakesperes.

It might be worth asking if anyone HASN'T been to the Kelham Island area.

sheffield hatter
30-06-2018, 23:14
There was a mini-crawl of Sheffield on Bastille Day 2014 (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=1185).*

I always make a point of celebrating the anniversary of the start of the French revolution. Doesn't everyone? :D

* Some interesting improvements to that route in the intervening four years. Watch this space!

Of course luckily I live in the north so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide.

Of course luckily I live in Sheffield so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide. :D

sheffield hatter
01-07-2018, 10:45
Glasgow is just one red herring too far.

It was a serious suggestion!

I'm sure it was, but introducing it at this stage is a distraction. Especially in view of the poor showing of Newcastle, Durham and Lancaster in the poll. Glasgow is a six hours or more train journey for most of the people who usually attend these crawls. That's ok for a holiday maybe, but for a day out on the booze it's unrealistic to expect an enthusiastic response.

Aqualung
01-07-2018, 21:36
I'm sure it was, but introducing it at this stage is a distraction. Especially in view of the poor showing of Newcastle, Durham and Lancaster in the poll. Glasgow is a six hours or more train journey for most of the people who usually attend these crawls. That's ok for a holiday maybe, but for a day out on the booze it's unrealistic to expect an enthusiastic response.

I take on board all of that. I did once go to Carlisle for the day but it was the 08:30 train and my train back was before 17:00. It does seem to mean that the "North" option is restricted to only a few possibilities. Places do change over the years so automatically ruling out cities (only) already visited may be worth considering. I would think somewhere like Sheffield is definitely worth more than one go.
As for this Autumn it's Manchester all the way (or in my case via Bury!). I'll bring my cloth cap and clogs.

sheffield hatter
01-07-2018, 22:27
It does seem to mean that the "North" option is restricted to only a few possibilities.

We're only restricted by geography and the distribution of the population - which is reflected in the membership of this site, I'm sure. If we had members further north who were regular Forum contributors, surely we'd have done places such as "the other Newcastle" and the two major cities in the foreign country north of that before now.

Places do change over the years so automatically ruling out cities (only) already visited may be worth considering. I would think somewhere like Sheffield is definitely worth more than one go.

You are mistaken - there has not yet been an "official" Pubs Galore crawl of Sheffield. (There was one on Bastille Day 2014, but this was only on the basis that it was someone's birthday and anyone at a loose end was welcome to join in.) I believe there has been a suggestion of recreating the first "official" crawl ten years on, in 2020, so hopefully after that people will feel empowered to suggest revisiting such places as Nottingham and Liverpool.

As for this Autumn it's Manchester all the way (or in my case via Bury!).

Good luck with Bury. I've only been there when I had to attend a football match, and I wasn't that impressed with the pubs.

I'll bring my cloth cap and clogs.

It's not compulsory, but we look forward to seeing you in whatever approximation of traditional dress your wardrobe will afford.

Aqualung
02-07-2018, 22:40
You are mistaken - there has not yet been an "official" Pubs Galore crawl of Sheffield. (There was one on Bastille Day 2014, but this was only on the basis that it was someone's birthday and anyone at a loose end was welcome to join in.) I believe there has been a suggestion of recreating the first "official" crawl ten years on, in 2020, so hopefully after that people will feel empowered to suggest revisiting such places as Nottingham and Liverpool.

This was meant as a side issue so let's get on with the Manchester day. I could have made the above a bit clearer. I was thinking more of Liverpool with regard to repeat visits, my point about Sheffield being that there must be enough there to make two separate days worthwhile.

Bucking Fastard
16-07-2018, 09:21
With advanced rail tickets going on sale next week for our Autumn crawl to Manchester on Friday 12th October,maybe it's time to start thinking of a route.

Also if we are to use the tram system for a short part of the crawl,or possibly buses,can us folk from far away buy plus tram/plus bus type tickets or do we just shell out on the day ? I am just thinking of making it a day trip ,trying to get to Manchester around 11am and departing 8pm ish but won't be staying overnight if that's helpful in the planning.

Aqualung
16-07-2018, 19:23
With advanced rail tickets going on sale next week for our Autumn crawl to Manchester on Friday 12th October,maybe it's time to start thinking of a route.

Also if we are to use the tram system for a short part of the crawl,or possibly buses,can us folk from far away buy plus tram/plus bus type tickets or do we just shell out on the day ? I am just thinking of making it a day trip ,trying to get to Manchester around 11am and departing 8pm ish but won't be staying overnight if that's helpful in the planning.

I'm making a long weekend of it and have two nights booked at the Stockport Premier Inn. I'll be going up on the cheap slow train to Stoke and the Cross Country train from there. I'm still planning to visit Bury first. There's no top flight football on the Saturday although Stockport are at home to Hereford so I may retreat to Wolverhampton.
I think ROBCamra said that the train ticket is valid on the trams in the central area. I don't recall using buses much apart from a few suburban areas one of which was Middleton.

ROBCamra
19-07-2018, 07:38
Very rough thoughts on where we might visit.

Manchester doesn't do early, apart from the Spoons of course, so 12 midday start.

For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

The tram is free when travelling between the stations, so you may have to "accidently" get on the wrong tram to go to St Peters Square.

From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

For those who wish to travel out to Chorlton, tram from Castlefield/Deansgate.

For those who don't, a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

Manchester is also not great at beer gardens, so group photo opportunities are limited.

Maybe outside the Pev or the plaza in First Street outside Gasworks.:cheers:

Bucking Fastard
19-07-2018, 15:28

Manchester doesn't do early, apart from the Spoons of course, so 12 midday start.

For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

The tram is free when travelling between the stations, so you may have to "accidently" get on the wrong tram to go to St Peters Square.

From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

For those who don't, a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

Manchester is also not great at beer gardens, so group photo opportunities are limited.

Thanks,that all sounds good with lots of options at the back end of the crawl to accomodate folk departing at different times or staying overnight.

Aqualung
22-07-2018, 00:31

Are the ones listed around Shade Hill all as much a rip off as the Marble Arch?
I can't see me getting to these ones but it would be useful to know for future refenece.

The two names that I've heard of countless times in the past are the Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.

Is the gentle stroll along Denasgate heading towards Piccadilly? I assume it is!

I'm so distressed to learn about the lack of group photo opportunities (NOT!!).

gillhalfpint
22-07-2018, 08:24
Watching this space with interest as we haven't been to Manchester since Winter Ales fest moved.

Couldn't walk round with you all, but when we know pub route and rough timings, we could plot a route Ray could cope with and take some of them in. Would be great to meet up with you all again. Will be at Sheffield fest on Thurs 11th and on a coach trip exploring pubs in the Kidderminster area on Sat 13th so could slot Manchester in!! Trains now available with some very cheap ones between Stoke and Manchester.

ROBCamra
22-07-2018, 09:00
Are the ones listed around Shade Hill all as much a rip off as the Marble Arch?
I can't see me getting to these ones but it would be useful to know for future refenece.

The two names that I've heard of countless times in the past are the Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.

Is the gentle stroll along Denasgate heading towards Piccadilly? I assume it is!

I'm so distressed to learn about the lack of group photo opportunities (NOT!!).

Manchester isn't cheap anywhere really.

The Pilcrow is quite expensive, but a pint of Fyne Jarl was £3.20 in the Smithfield on Friday.

A gentle stroll along Deansgate is not towards Piccadilly.

Aqualung
22-07-2018, 09:33
Manchester isn't cheap anywhere really.

Even the Holts pubs? The only central one I've been to is the Old Monkey.

A pint of Fyne Jarl was £3.20 in the Smithfield on Friday.

That's OK.

A name I remember a lot from the past is the Lass O Gowrie. I've never been to it but is it now out of favour or just doesn't fit in with the route?

ROBCamra
22-07-2018, 09:57
A name I remember a lot from the past is the Lass O Gowrie. I've never been to it but is it now out of favour or just doesn't fit in with the route?

It's now owned by Greene King.:sick:

Aqualung
22-07-2018, 11:05

Say no more squire!!

Soup Dragon
22-07-2018, 11:28

Yes, was there the other day... it does have guest beers though and no GK shi*e PA/Abbot:)

Bucking Fastard
23-07-2018, 14:57
Watching this space with interest as we haven't been to Manchester since Winter Ales fest moved.

Couldn't walk round with you all, but when we know pub route and rough timings, we could plot a route Ray could cope with and take some of them in. Would be great to meet up with you all again. Will be at Sheffield fest on Thurs 11th and on a coach trip exploring pubs in the Kidderminster area on Sat 13th so could slot Manchester in!! Trains now available with some very cheap ones between Stoke and Manchester.

Good news that you and Ray may be able to join the Manchester crawl at selected pubs.ROBCamra has sketched out a rough route and I'm sure that timings will get included at some point ,although you could always estimate 30 mins per pub on his list if that's any help.

sheffield hatter
23-07-2018, 23:27
Good news that you and Ray may be able to join the Manchester crawl at selected pubs. ROBCamra has sketched out a rough route and I'm sure that timings will get included at some point ,although you could always estimate 30 mins per pub on his list if that's any help.

Yes, delighted that Gill and Ray may be able to join in. However, I would hesitate before assuming a 30 minute turn around per pub. ROBCamra's initial list runs to a Full Winfield, by my count, and 24 x 30 mins = 12 hours by anyone's reckoning. So with a 12 noon start, we would be leaving the last pub at midnight. (This is assuming that walking time is included in the 30 minutes.) This is a little later than the normal finish time for a PuG crawl...

I would suggest we await a more detailed itinerary!

oldboots
24-07-2018, 18:00
...ROBCamra's initial list runs to a Full Winfield, by my count, and 24 x 30 mins = 12 hours by anyone's reckoning... I would suggest we await a more detailed itinerary!

The itinerary might depend on who's coming, for those who haven't been to Manchester the list ought to include Marble Arch, Crown & Kettle, Peveril of the Peak, Briton's Protection.

Using those as fixed points that gives a crawl starting near Victoria Station (Pilcrow/Angel) and ending near Deansgate/Oxford Road stations (Rain Bar/Knott/Gasworks); it could take a route through the Northern Quarter (Castle/Soup Kitchen/Flok/Pie & Ale probably via Fringe then on to City Arms and Beermoth). The Smithfield opening at 2pm could make that pub a non-runner.

Alternatively the Deansgate group could be substituted for the Northern Quarter going via Rising Sun, Brink, Gaslamp, Dockyard, Cask and Knott before ending again at The Briton's Protection and Peveril of the Peak.

Aqualung
24-07-2018, 21:17
I've got my rail tickets sorted with a total cost of around £25.00 over the three days excluding my Tram journey to Bury. I'm not expecting to get to the Victoria area or the "Northern Quarter". I hope to get to a few venues at the end of the crawl but if Bury goes well it won't be many!

sheffield hatter
25-07-2018, 18:04

...a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

... the list ought to include Marble Arch, Crown & Kettle, Peveril of the Peak, Briton's Protection.

...that gives a crawl starting near Victoria Station (Pilcrow/Angel) and ending near Deansgate/Oxford Road stations (Rain Bar/Knott/Gasworks) ... through the Northern Quarter (Castle/Soup Kitchen/Flok/Pie & Ale probably via Fringe then on to City Arms and Beermoth). The Smithfield opening at 2pm could make that pub a non-runner.

Alternatively the Deansgate group could be substituted for the Northern Quarter going via Rising Sun, Brink, Gaslamp, Dockyard, Cask and Knott before ending again at The Briton's Protection and Peveril of the Peak.

It looks like you two need to put your heads together and come up with a route, with "must visits" and "wild cards", so that people can pick and choose. Otherwise we'll have everyone attempting a Winfield (and that is bound to end badly). :p

Oh, and approximate timings would be good. :evilgrin:

Thanks.

oldboots
25-07-2018, 22:02
It looks like you two need to put your heads together and come up with a route, with "must visits" and "wild cards", so that people can pick and chose. Otherwise we'll have everyone attempting a Winfield (and that is bound to end badly). :p

Oh, and approximate timings would be good. :evilgrin:

Thanks.

My post was just a starting point to get the list down to a more manageable size, the obvious cut being made between

a. the "Northern Quarter" (13 pubs) or
b. the "Deansgate Crawl" (12 pubs)

for old Manchester Hands dropping the Angel and Marble Arch frees up some time and personally the Deansgate route involves a lot of new to me pubs. However for Manchester virgins Marble Arch is a must do, as indeed are the other three suggested fixed points. It's just a bit of a hike to the MA and back.

Here's two lists for Mr Camra's critique (as he's the expert and I wouldn't presume to second guess him). Both routes are just over an hours walking in total if you go via the Angel and Marble Arch, if I get time I'll get the Google times for each, however it looks to be a 7 1/2 - 8 hour day.

N4
1. The Pilcrow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84543/) meeting point
2. The Angel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25731/)
3. The Marble Arch (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26061/)
4. Bar Fringe (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61476/)
5. Crown & Kettle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55849/)
6. Castle Hotel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25799/)
7. Soup Kitchen (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74961/)
8. Flok (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85600/)
9. Pie & Ale (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80346/)
10.Cafe Beermoth (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83591/)
11. The City Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59965/)
12. Peveril of the Peak (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54094/)
13. The Briton's Protection (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59999/)

Deansgate

1-3 as above
4. Rising Sun (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26201/)
5. The Brink (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84036/)
6. The Gaslamp (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73019/)
7. The Dockyard (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83292/)
8. Cask (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60000/)
9. The Knott (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54247/)
10 & 11 as 13 then 12 above
12. Gasworks (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84676/)

sheffield hatter
25-07-2018, 23:40
My post was just a starting point to get the list down to a more manageable size, the obvious cut being made between

a. the "Northern Quarter" (13 pubs) or
b. the "Deansgate Crawl" (12 pubs)

for old Manchester Hands dropping the Angel and Marble Arch frees up some time and personally the Deansgate route involves a lot of new to me pubs. However for Manchester virgins Marble Arch is a must do, as indeed are the other three suggested fixed points. It's just a bit of a hike to the MA and back.[/URL]

Thanks for doing the research.

I do see your point about the Marble Arch - it's a bit of a walk but has to be done by those who've not done it before - for the pub architecture and heritage, if not for the beer. (Speaking personally - and you can all get ready to hurl rotten tomatoes at me - I have yet to find a Marble Arch beer that I like, so will probably give this one a swerve.)

I can see why you've suggested an either/or approach (Northern Quarter or Deansgate), but I'm concerned that this might split the group.

Also, having done Britons Protection, City Arms and Peveril of the Peak, I think it should be pointed out that the beer offering will not be as spectacular as the pub architecture and interiors - in my opinion.

We await the views of our Manchester correspondent!

ROBCamra
26-07-2018, 16:29
We await the views of our Manchester correspondent!

This was always going to be a problem. I only included the Deansgate/Castlefield area as there were people who wanted to go to Chorlton.

Manchester has more than enough to go at on its own IMO.

Admittedly the Brit and the Pev are great historic pubs but their beer is distinctly average.

We've taken some friends of ours to all the pubs listed plus 3 in Salford in the last 12 months. It took THREE visits!

After a visit on Friday I'd swerve Pie & Ale.

It's under new management and was charging £4.40 for a pint of 3% Bad Seed beer.

My suggested route would be something like Pilcrow, Angel, Marble, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Flok, Soup Kitchen, Beermoth, City Arms, Rising Sun, Gaslamp, Brink.

Wildcards of Smithfield, Castle, The Brit & Pev after City Arms for those who want to.

Has the idea of going to Chorlton been shelved?

AlanH
26-07-2018, 18:08
My suggested route would be something like Pilcrow, Angel, Marble, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Flok, Soup Kitchen, Beermoth, City Arms, Rising Sun, Gaslamp, Brink.

Wildcards of Smithfield, Castle, The Brit & Pev after City Arms for those who want to.

This looks a better route. I was also feeling that the "Deansgate crawl" was looking very isolated from the NQ part. The Brink and the Gaslamp are too good to miss.
Another useful wildcard I have visited twice recently is the GBG listed Terrace (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78841/) . Not too far from the Pilcrow and opens at 10am for the early non spooners.
For the breakfast spooners, The Seven Stars (Lloyds No.1 Bar) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59979/) is nearest to Shudehill tram stop but has the lowest score. The Waterhouse (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55842/) might be better and handy to hop on a tram from St Peters Square to Shudehill.

Aqualung
26-07-2018, 21:06
Has the idea of going to Chorlton been shelved?

I got the impression it was only ever an option if it was going to be a tram based crawl.
Last time I was in the centre of Manchester was doing the last few JDWs and it was a Friday afternoon. The JDWs were packed to the extent that they were uncomfortable. Is this likely to be the case for the other city centre pubs?

Aqualung
26-07-2018, 21:15
For the breakfast spooners, The Seven Stars is nearest to Shude Hill tram stop but has the lowest score. The Waterhouse might be better and handy to hop on a tram from St Peters Square to Shude Hill.

That would be due to the Seven Stars being a Lloyds. It probably doesn't matter for breakfast unless you're after a guest ale. It's not a disastrous Lloyds so you might get lucky with an interesting early guest.

AlanH
27-07-2018, 03:04
The Lower Turks Head / Scuttlers (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72076/) and the Hare & Hounds Hotel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25976/) on Shudehill, adjacent to the tram stop are also interesting wildcards, more for the pubs than the beer, as they both claim to open at 11 o'clock. Especially the Turks Head for me as I have not been there for 25+ years prior to its long closure.
The Hare & Hounds is a GBG Heritage pub (and it sells Joseph Holts! I can't visit Manchester without a drink of Joeys!).

Just too many pubs and too many choices to make. :drinkup::nishelypished:

Wittenden
27-07-2018, 08:51
(and it sells Joseph Holts! I can't visit Manchester without a drink of Joeys!).

Ah,Holts! Made strong men weep, and the highpoint of my sole visit to Manchester in the 1970s. Never come across it since:is it as memorable now?

AlanH
28-07-2018, 01:44
Ah,Holts! Made strong men weep, and the highpoint of my sole visit to Manchester in the 1970s. Never come across it since:is it as memorable now?

I don't drink it much now as I live in Wales (except when the The Ponsonby Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52009/) in Llangollen get it on as a guest). I sometimes think it is not as bitter as it used to be but still enjoyable. I usually have a few when back in Manchester, especially as it is on the bar at FC United.

sheffield hatter
01-08-2018, 08:51
Friday, 12th October

Just in case anyone's missed it in this very long thread, the date of this year's Autumn Crawl is Friday, 12th October. (Perhaps someone who knows how could change the title of the thread, preferably deleting the mock accent while they're at it.)

ROBCamra
01-08-2018, 16:34
Just in case anyone's missed it in this very long thread, the date of this year's Autumn Crawl is Friday, 12th October. (Perhaps someone who knows how could change the title of the thread, preferably deleting the mock accent while they're at it.)

:cheers:

sheffield hatter
02-08-2018, 11:17
:cheers:

Thanks

Mobyduck
12-08-2018, 20:22
Just booked my hotel for two nights, Thursday 11th and Friday 12th, so will have a bit of extra time to explore further pubs.:drinkup:

Aqualung
12-08-2018, 22:19
Has a final route been decided on yet? I'm staying in Stockport for two nights and getting the cheap slow 08:46 train to Stoke on the Thursday.
I'm still planning a start in Bury and have found there are Holts outlets on the Tram journey back. I've discovered that the Holts pub I used to visit years ago was this (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25868/) one so I'll try and get to that. I haven't finalised plans yet but I'll try and make one or two pubs in the (probably) shambolic late stages, preferably near a tram stop!

Bucking Fastard
13-08-2018, 12:09
Has a final route been decided on yet? . I haven't finalised plans yet but I'll try and make one or two pubs in the (probably) shambolic late stages, preferably near a tram stop!

This seems to be the plan,12 core pubs and 4 wild cards should keep us busy.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

I guess St Peters Square is the nearest tram stop to the latter stages.

Aqualung
13-08-2018, 12:42
This seems to be the plan,12 core pubs and 4 wild cards should keep us busy.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

I guess St Peters Square is the nearest tram stop to the latter stages.

Thanks for clarifying that and I had suspected St Peters Square would be the key tram stop.

AlanH
14-09-2018, 15:36

Of the suggested 16 pubs, 4 have been added to the 2019 GBG.

Angel
Gas Lamp
Crown & Kettle
Peveril of the Peak

and 3 dropped from GBG

Britons Protection
Castle
Rising Sun.

Mobyduck
14-09-2018, 20:30
Of the suggested 16 pubs, 4 have been added to the 2019 GBG.

Angel
Gas Lamp
Crown & Kettle
Peveril of the Peak

and 3 dropped from GBG

Britons Protection
Castle
Rising Sun.

GBG, swings and Roundabouts?

Bucking Fastard
05-10-2018, 10:23
Just wondered who is turning up next Friday in Manchester ?

Reading back through this long thread it seems the following expressed some interest in coming along.Are there others who are going to pitch up ?

ROBCamra
Ms CAMRA
sheffield hatter
Dave M
Cider Drinker
oldboots
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
AlanH
Mobyduck
Aqualung (towards end of crawl)
Gillhalfpint and Ray (possible depending on timings)

I'm sure I must have missed a few out.

Dave M
05-10-2018, 11:11
Tammy & I should be arriving into Manchester somewhere between 11 & 12

AlanH
05-10-2018, 13:06
As Spreadsheet Hatter hasn't organised us yet, here are some possible timings based on 30 mins in the Pilcrow and 20mins in the others with Google walking times betweem pubs, following RobCamra's suggested route with the Pev and the Brit added at the end.

Hopefully the Real version will arrive later! :notworthy:

'spoons
Seven Stars 8-11.00 (1 min from Shudehill tram stop)
3 mins
Pilcrow 12.00
6 mins
Angel 12.40
3 mins
Marble Arch 13.05
6 mins
Fringe 13.30
2 mins
Crown & Kettle 13.50
4 mins
Flok 14.15
2 mins
Soup Kitchen 14.35
8 mins
Beermoth 15.05
4mins
City Arms 15.30
6 mins
Rising Sun 15.55
4 mins
Gas Lamp 16.20
17 seconds!
Brink 16.40
12 mins
Britons Protect. 17.10
2 mins
Peveril of Peak 17.30

Oxford Road Station 5 mins.
Peters Square tram stop 7 mins

As the the Marble Arch visitors will be about 30 mins behind the non-Marblers, perhaps there should be another mid-point meet up. The Beermoth maybe as it is quite central.

trainman
05-10-2018, 15:35
I won't be up but hope y'all have a tippy-top day. If the Angel is a target for most, I really can't see why anyone going there would swerve the nearby Marble Arch if they haven't yet ticked it... or if they have...
Good luck PGers! tm

ROBCamra
05-10-2018, 15:53
As Spreadsheet Hatter hasn't organised us yet, here are some possible timings based on 30 mins in the Pilcrow and 20mins in the others with Google walking times betweem pubs, following RobCamra's suggested route with the Pev and the Brit added at the end.

'spoons
3 mins
Pilcrow 12.00
6 mins
Angel 12.40
3 mins
Marble Arch 13.05
6 mins
Fringe 13.30
2 mins
Crown & Kettle 13.50
4 mins
Flok 14.15
2 mins
Soup Kitchen 14.35
8 mins
Beermoth 15.05
4mins
City Arms 15.30
6 mins
Rising Sun 15.55
4 mins
Gas Lamp 16.20
17 seconds!
Brink 16.40
12 mins
Britons Protect. 17.10
2 mins
Peveril of Peak 17.30

As the the Marble Arch visitors will be about 30 mins behind the non-Marblers, perhaps there should be another mid-point meet up. The Beermoth maybe as it is quite central.

Do we need a "Real version" ? That looks fine to me Alan. :cheers:

Photo opportunities are limited.

The square near the Pilcrow or the Angel beer garden fit the bill though.

oldboots
05-10-2018, 16:34
I should be arriving at Victoria around 11:05 and head for the Seven Stars or Pilcrow depending on Northern Fail. I'll almost certainly swerve the Angel and Marble Arch and meet up later probably at Flok if not before.

rpadam
05-10-2018, 19:50

Reading back through this long thread it seems the following expressed some interest in coming along.Are there others who are going to pitch up ?

ROBCamra
sheffield hatter
Dave M
Cider Drinker
oldboots
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
AlanH
Mobyduck

Sorry, can't make this one as somebody very inconveniently rearranged a whole-day work event to the 12th...

Mobyduck
05-10-2018, 21:05
I'm going to be in town from Thursday lunchtime till mid-afternoon Saturday.

AlanH
06-10-2018, 12:42

'spoons
3 mins
Pilcrow 12.00
6 mins
Angel 12.40
3 mins
Marble Arch 13.05
6 mins
Fringe 13.30
2 mins
Crown & Kettle 13.50
4 mins
Flok 14.15
2 mins
Soup Kitchen 14.35
8 mins
Beermoth 15.05
4mins
City Arms 15.30
6 mins
Rising Sun 15.55
4 mins
Gas Lamp 16.20
17 seconds!
Brink 16.40
12 mins
Britons Protect. 17.10
2 mins
Peveril of Peak 17.30

The Smithfield (wildcard open 2PM) is a 3 min backtrack after Crown & Kettle, then the Castle (wildcard) before the Flok.
Handy for slowing down the non-Marblers!

Dave M
06-10-2018, 13:49
As Spreadsheet Hatter hasn't organised us yet, here are some possible timings based on 30 mins in the Pilcrow and 20mins in the others
20 minutes per pub seems like it might be beyond my drinking pace!

Is anyone limited by needing to leave particularly early? I was thinking of getting a train back at about 8ish, which would allow a slightly slower pace.

ROBCamra
06-10-2018, 14:14

ROBCamra
sheffield hatter
Dave M
Cider Drinker
oldboots
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
AlanH
Mobyduck

Ms CAMRA will also be joining us again!:eek:

AlanH
06-10-2018, 19:20
20 minutes per pub seems like it might be beyond my drinking pace!

Is anyone limited by needing to leave particularly early? I was thinking of getting a train back at about 8ish, which would allow a slightly slower pace.

I was referring to thread 98 where Sheff Hatter said 30 mins/pub would end at midnight, but that was with a Full Winfield.

Maybe a compromise with 25 mins/pub would add just over an hour (or an hour & a half with the wild cards.).
The 2nd half of the crawl usually ends up with people doing their own crawl, falling over kerb stones and leaving at different times.

Revised to 25mins/pub (Works out approx 30 mins including walking times)

'spoons
Seven Stars 9-11.57 (1 min from Shudehill tram stop)
3 mins
Hare & Hounds 11.00 (extra wild card for pre nooners non-spooners) Grade II heritage & Holt's Bitter.
3 mins
Pilcrow 12.00
6 mins
Angel 12.45
3 mins
Marble Arch 13.15
6 mins
Fringe 13.45 (followed by wildcard Smithfield Market Tavern, open 14.00)
2 mins
Crown & Kettle 14.10 (followed by wildcard Castle Hotel)
4 mins
Flok 14.40
2 mins
Soup Kitchen 15.05
8 mins
Beermoth 15.40
4mins
City Arms 16.10
6 mins
Rising Sun 16.40
4 mins
Gas Lamp 17.10
17 seconds!
Brink 17.35
12 mins
Britons Protect. 18.10
2 mins
Peveril of Peak 18.35

+ 2 wild cards 19.25

As Will says, This is just a guide to be followed or totally ignored as you wish! :drinkup: :cheers: :bemerry: :nishelypished: :sick:

Aqualung
06-10-2018, 23:08

ROBCamra
sheffield hatter
Dave M
Cider Drinker
oldboots
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
AlanH
Mobyduck

I've discovered that there is a whole raft of pubs (mostly Holts) in between Bury and the centre of Manchester that could keep be going all day along with the Bury options. My plan is to go to the Bury ones (around 5 or 6 I think), come down to Victoria and visit the Holt's brewery tap then head for St Peter's Square for late afternoon and include the Ape & Apple (Holts) by which time I'll probably be past caring how much I'm being ripped off! I'm staying in Stockport so I assume I won't have to get to Piccadilly too early.

Aqualung
06-10-2018, 23:10
I won't be up but hope y'all have a tippy-top day. If the Angel is a target for most, I really can't see why anyone going there would swerve the nearby Marble Arch if they haven't yet ticked it... or if they have...

Have you seen the prices they charge?

Aqualung
06-10-2018, 23:15
As Will says, This is just a guide to be followed or totally ignored as you wish! :drinkup: :cheers: :bemerry: :nishelypished: :sick:

Not being all that familiar with Madchester your list is very useful to me.

Bucking Fastard
06-10-2018, 23:45
Not being all that familiar with Madchester your list is very useful to me.

And me too,thanks. I need to be back to Piccadilly by 20.15pm

sheffield hatter
07-10-2018, 10:19
Gas Lamp 17.10
17 seconds!
Brink 17.35

Perhaps we should have a race!

As Will says, This is just a guide to be followed or totally ignored as you wish!

Couldn't agree more.

ROBCamra
09-10-2018, 19:48
For those with a CAMRA card the Fringe and Gaslamp on the crawl both do CAMRA discount.

For anyone going off-piste near Flok then Pie & Ale also do a discount, but boy will you need it. Not for the faint pocketed these days.

When meeting at the Pilcrow which is in Sadler's Yard those coming from Victoria should note that there are roadworks on Hanover Street,
but pedestrians can still get through.

Those coming from the Seven Stars should go along Federation Street and then left. :cheers:

Mobyduck
09-10-2018, 19:51
For those with a CAMRA card the Fringe and Gaslamp on the crawl both do CAMRA discount.

For anyone going off-piste near Flok then Pie & Ale also do a discount, but boy will you need it. Not for the faint pocketed these days.

The trick is to remember this at the time :drinkup:

london calling
09-10-2018, 20:50
Tandleman,s blog was in the Angel on Saturday night.top quality real ale,pubby atmosphere and £3.40 a pint but not in the GBG.Madchester right enough.

AlanH
10-10-2018, 02:28
Tandleman,s blog was in the Angel on Saturday night.top quality real ale,pubby atmosphere and £3.40 a pint but not in the GBG.Madchester right enough.

It is in the 2019 guide. :cheers: :notworthy:

Aqualung
10-10-2018, 15:47
Have people seen the weather forecast for Friday? Courtesy of a storm called Callum it's looking abysmal in the North West for the whole day.

ROBCamra
10-10-2018, 18:33
Have people seen the weather forecast for Friday? Courtesy of a storm called Callum it's looking abysmal in the North West for the whole day.

Can't have you lot coming up to Manchester without making sure we've got some traditional weather booked.:evilgrin:

Aqualung
10-10-2018, 20:52
Can't have you lot coming up to Manchester without making sure we've got some traditional weather booked.:evilgrin:

I'm used to what the wettest parts of North Wales throws at you so I'm not that bothered. However, it does look like there will be heavy rain all day. The high winds look like they will hit Scotland so hopefully trains won't be disrupted.

AlanH
11-10-2018, 01:04

Storm in a beer glass.
If it's Callum Jordan, it will come to a full stop.

Bucking Fastard
11-10-2018, 17:43
Looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow for a solid days drinking :drinkup:

I believe Gann is on the same train as me,which arrives at Piccadilly at 11.05,so I would expect a cheeky visit to either the Seven Stars or Hare & Hounds before the official start at noon in The Pilcrow.

Just hope Virgin Trains behave :pray:

Mobyduck
11-10-2018, 17:51
Looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow for a solid days drinking :drinkup:

I believe Gann is on the same train as me,which arrives at Piccadilly at 11.05,so I would expect a cheeky visit to either the Seven Stars or Hare & Hounds before the official start at noon in The Pilcrow.

Just hope Virgin Trains behave :pray:

Warming up already, sat in the Marble Arch with a pint of pale, and there's me thinking the south east was expensive.

Real Ale Ray
11-10-2018, 18:17
Warming up already, sat in the Marble Arch with a pint of pale, and there's me thinking the south east was expensive.

We're warming up too, in a great little micro The Grove, Stockport, 3 more micros to visit if we can get out of this one, it's very good

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow

Mobyduck
11-10-2018, 18:18
Likewise.

ROBCamra
11-10-2018, 18:35
We're warming up too, in a great little micro The Grove, Stockport, 3 more micros to visit if we can get out of this one, it's very good

Hope you've got your CAMRA card Ray. !0% off Monday to Thursday. :cheers:

rpadam
11-10-2018, 22:45
Sorry I can't make it, but hoping all the Manchester pilgrims have a good day (whatever the weather may deliver...).

Pangolin
12-10-2018, 00:15
No promises but I am going to try and make an appearance

Dave M
12-10-2018, 11:03
That would be great, I'm going to be in my PG t-shirt if you are trying to spot us

AlanH
12-10-2018, 11:15
Had a nice brekkie in 7 Stars (on table 28 _ Don't start that again!!)
. Now having my Holt's fix in the Hare & Hounds.
Came an hour early to avoid train cancellations in Wales

Mobyduck
12-10-2018, 11:17
Alan ,I'm next door in lower turks head. Full pint.

Pangolin
12-10-2018, 18:56
A most enjoyable day and great to meet so many of you. Look forward to the next one.

Mobyduck
12-10-2018, 18:59
A most enjoyable day and great to meet so many of you. Look forward to the next one.

Nice to meet you. Till next time.

Bucking Fastard
13-10-2018, 11:55
That was an amazing pub crawl,and also very good to meet Pangolin in person ,one of the first members of PuG and now a prolific contributor.Great to see everybody else too,wonderful company all day.

Many thanks to ROBCamra and Ms CAMRA for skillfully herding the crawlers around so many interesting and varied venues.Great mix of impressive traditional pubs together with some more modern bars and virtually every ale I sampled was terrific.ROBCamra also managed to point out lots of interesting features ,quirks and history that I would certainly have missed on any other crawl visit to these pubs.:notworthy:

Looking forward already to the next outing ,which I guess will be either in The South or The Midlands * sometime next March.

*Can we avoid the usual geographic definition debate ?:evilgrin:

Real Ale Ray
13-10-2018, 15:11
Yes great day out yesterday, very enjoyable trip around some interesting pubs. Thanks to Rob & Mrs Camra for the tour. We're in Fred's Alehouse, Levenshulme now, and there's a mini beer fest on, so will probably stay for quite some time!

Mobyduck
13-10-2018, 15:56
Yes brilliant trip, just on train back now, had to revisit the firefly because I had no recollection whatsoever, took in the Gas Lamp while in the area, nice place.

sheffield hatter
13-10-2018, 20:50
...either in The South or The Midlands * sometime next March.

Probably not.

#geographygalore

Aqualung
13-10-2018, 23:25

What's the problem? It's so simple, the Midlands is the bit in between the North and the South.
It was nice to meet the main group in the City Arms which actually calmed down a bit after the group left but I was horrified to see the hordes of people drinking outside. If they all piled in after it started raining when I was in the Ape and Apple then it would have got completely mental. Despite being a cellar bar I made it to the Gas Lamp but it seemed I was there too late. The Brink was one cellar too far so I got a bus back to Piccadilly Station.
It was a lucky escape with the weather as Callum decided to wreak havoc over Wales rather than NW England.

I believe it's the Beautiful South next.

Mobyduck
14-10-2018, 08:39
A few unprofessional pics.

Aqualung
14-10-2018, 12:22

The second picture nicely sums up the weather on the day.
I forgot to mention but I noticed that the Titanic outlet on Stoke Station is now open. It's on the up (Southbound) platform so will come in very handy for Stoke visits where just about everywhere is a bus ride or a fair walk away. It's called BOD.

sheffield hatter
14-10-2018, 18:17

Unprofessional, maybe, in the sense that nobody's paying you for them. But very good quality, Mick. The detail of the cuff of my jacket in the first one is astonishing.

Mobyduck
14-10-2018, 19:28
Unprofessional, maybe, in the sense that nobody's paying you for them. But very good quality, Mick. The detail of the cuff of my jacket in the first one is astonishing.

A little bit more detail here.

oldboots
14-10-2018, 21:35
If you want unprofessional photos try this pair from the Rising Sun and one service that we might all need :D

1684 1685 1686

sheffield hatter
14-10-2018, 21:48
...try this pair from the Rising Sun

1684 1685

I think that was the City Arms.

sheffield hatter
14-10-2018, 21:49
A little bit more detail here.

Ah, yes. It turns out is was Alan H's jacket. Looks like he's trying to sneak my pen or possibly even my beer.

AlanH
15-10-2018, 00:04
Ah, yes. It turns out is was Alan H's jacket. Looks like he's trying to sneak my pen or possibly even my beer.

Much more likely the beer! :drinkup:

AlanH
15-10-2018, 10:05
Just checking our timetable against how GOOGLE tracked me! (Google tracking in brackets)
We did far better than I expected. Adding 30 minutes after the Smithfield (wildcard) we were almost spot on all day. :drinkup: :notworthy:
Google failed to split the Hare & Hounds/Turks Head, also Gas Lamp/Brink, and we were Very naughty going to the Pev before the Britons!! :eek::eek:
:-
'spoons
Seven Stars 9-11.57 ---(10.19 - 11.03)
3 mins
Hare & Hounds/
Turks Head 11.00 --- (11.05 - 11.57)
3 mins
Pilcrow 12.00 --- (11.59 - 12.35)
6 mins
Angel 12.45 --- (12.40 - 13.06)
3 mins
Marble Arch 13.15 --- (13.06 - 13.32)
6 mins
Fringe 13.45 --- (13.38 -14.06)
Smithfield Market Tavern, open 14.00) --- (14.09 - 14.37)
2 mins
Crown & Kettle 14.10 --- (14.39 -15.07)
4 mins
Flok 14.40 --- (15.15 - 15.54)
2 mins
Soup Kitchen 15.05 --- (15.56 - 15.58)
8 mins
Beermoth 15.40 --- (16.07 - 16.38)
4mins
City Arms 16.10 --- (16.40 - 17.18)
6 mins
Rising Sun 16.40 --- (17.23 - 17.42)
4 mins
Gas Lamp 17.10 --- (17.54 - ??.??)
17 seconds!
Brink 17.35 --- (??.?? - 18.30)
12 mins
Peveril of the Peak 18.10 --- (18.42 - 19.16)
2 mins
Britons Protection 18.35 --- (19.21 - 20.06) :cheers:

Oxford Road Station --- (20.08 - 20.52)

Ruabon Station --- (22.57)

:manutdfc:

AlanH
15-10-2018, 14:49
What's the problem? It's so simple, the Midlands is the bit in between the North and the South.

I believe it's the Beautiful South next.

Like throwing a dart at treble twenty. The bit in the middle is easy to stray out of.

oldboots
15-10-2018, 16:08
I think that was the City Arms.

I think you might be right.

Cider Drinker
16-10-2018, 15:57

oldboots
16-10-2018, 17:46

I get the message "invalid attachment specified" , is it on crutches or in a wheelchair?

trainman
16-10-2018, 18:23
I get the message "invalid attachment specified" , is it on crutches or in a wheelchair?

Me too, plus 'if you followed a valid link please notify the administrator'

AlanH
17-10-2018, 01:41

It seems to have been changed. At first there were two links and they both printed out fine.

This one seems to work

AlanH
18-10-2018, 16:36

Your mention of the cuff detail must have made it a collectors piece. It has since completely vanished from my jacket! :confused::mad:
I am now looking out for it on ebay!!

Cider Drinker
20-10-2018, 12:15
Sorry I have not been getting on well with uploading the pics. I'll have another go.

Cider Drinker
20-10-2018, 12:18

These are great Mick, I hope you are recovering well. X

Mobyduck
20-10-2018, 19:23
These are great Mick, I hope you are recovering well. X

Thank you Tammy, I am doing OK, but my ribs are killing me, I did manage a very slow pint today though.

Mobyduck
04-11-2018, 21:26
A few more random photos.

Pangolin
05-11-2018, 18:02
Check out the the last two pics at Soup Kitchen (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/74961/) !

Mobyduck
05-11-2018, 18:04
Check out the the last two pics at Soup Kitchen (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/74961/) !

Ha,ha, spotted that when I added mine.:D

Soup Dragon
24-11-2018, 10:55
Sorry I could not make this, life changed at the last minute (again). I am now back at University, but with a pt job looming the workload is immense (and still have 40 pubs to write up), so wont be around for a while again

Aqualung
25-11-2018, 01:11
Sorry I could not make this, life changed at the last minute (again). I am now back at University, but with a pt job looming the workload is immense (and still have 40 pubs to write up), so wont be around for a while again

Sorry to hear that. Is the pt job a zero hours contract in a JDW?