PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2018 crawl

Cider Drinker
24-03-2018, 09:53
So where are we off to in the summer?

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 10:34
So where are we off to in the summer?

Well done for raising this so quickly as it seems to take ages for decisions to be made. I believe it's the turn of the Midlands to have this inflicted upon them. I'm going to make two suggestions from left field, Loughborough and Newcastle Under Lyme, A bus goes from Stoke Rail Station to Newcastle but is the only one required.
The SVR is another left field suggestion already aired. I've never been on the line and would love to give it a go but for me there would be just too much waking to include pubs in Kidderminster, Bridgnorth and Bewdley. However, I've not been to either of the pubs at each of the line and for me "two pubs is a crawl". I would have thought that Bridgnorth is worthy of a full day.

Oggwyn Trench
24-03-2018, 11:52
Bridgnorth is well worth a day out but is a right pain in the backside to get to , the nearest main stations are Telford about 12 miles away and Wolverhampton about 14 miles away , the buses stop running around 5/530 ish to Telford/Wolvo , its better to do Bridgnorth as an overnighter .

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 12:13
Bridgnorth is well worth a day out but is a right pain in the backside to get to , the nearest main stations are Telford about 12 miles away and Wolverhampton about 14 miles away , the buses stop running around 5/530 ish to Telford/Wolvo , its better to do Bridgnorth as an overnighter .
It's about 45 minutes from Wolverhampton bus station and the bus connects with the London train but you're probably right for people travelling from elsewhere.

oldboots
24-03-2018, 15:40
Lichfield is good but not sure how it’s fixed for public transport. My last visit was a coach trip. There’s also Stamford ditto transport. Burton of course ticks all boxes but has anyone not been?

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 17:02
Lichfield is good but not sure how it’s fixed for public transport. My last visit was a coach trip. There’s also Stamford ditto transport. Burton of course ticks all boxes but has anyone not been?
Lichfield City station is pretty central and has a new micropub around the corner.. The fact that it's only London Midland services apart from New Street may be a minus point. It's OK from London as you can get a cheap LM advance ticket on the 08:46 to Crewe.

Delboy20
24-03-2018, 17:16
New street to Lichfield takes about half an hour and is £6.40 return. Trains are regular - about every 10 - 20 minutes.
I know because they go through Aston !

rpadam
24-03-2018, 20:05
New street to Lichfield takes about half an hour and is £6.40 return. Trains are regular - about every 10 - 20 minutes.
I know because they go through Aston !
Lichfield Trent Valley is on the West Coast Main Line, and with a short hop on the Cross-City Line to Lichfield City that should open up more opportunities.

Cider Drinker
26-03-2018, 14:04
We are happy to go anywhere but can only do 15th or 16th June or 13th or 14th July as a last resort 6th July.

Bucking Fastard
26-03-2018, 18:24
We are happy to go anywhere but can only do 15th or 16th June or 13th or 14th July as a last resort 6th July.

It maybe better to focus on the date at this stage,I could do June 15th or 16th but none of those dates in July

oldboots
26-03-2018, 19:21
It maybe better to focus on the date at this stage,I could do June 15th or 16th but none of those dates in July

Pretty much how I'm fixed as well with the 15/16 June, July is fully booked for me and in August I only have 10th/11th free.

sheffield hatter
27-03-2018, 09:15

Pretty much how I'm fixed as well with the 15/16 June, July is fully booked for me and in August I only have 10th/11th free.

We've usually done July in the past, but as discussion has started early, June is certainly doable. However, train tickets for 15th/16th will already be on sale, so agreeing the destination pretty damned quick would also be good.

sheffield hatter
27-03-2018, 09:21
I'm going to make two suggestions from left field, Loughborough and Newcastle Under Lyme.

Slight preference on a superficial level for Loughborough - easier to get to, and more pubs with reviews on this site!

sheffield hatter
27-03-2018, 09:24
Lichfield City station is pretty central and has a new micropub around the corner.. The fact that it's only London Midland services apart from New Street may be a minus point. It's OK from London as you can get a cheap LM advance ticket on the 08:46 to Crewe.

I think this info is now slightly out of date. Didn't London Midland lose the franchise last year? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40886873

sheffield hatter
27-03-2018, 09:26

Yes, this is a trip I'd really like to do, but trying to get everyone to go from all over the country when it's so difficult to get to will take about two years to organise!

Aqualung
27-03-2018, 13:23
I think this info is now slightly out of date. Didn't London Midland lose the franchise last year? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40886873
You're absolutely right and if I thought Abellio were going to make any better a job of it I might bother to use the correct names. Their performance on the lines out of Liverpool Street is dismal and when they were forced to hand over stock to TFL when Overground took over the Chingford and Cheshunt lines they handed over all the dross that was only fit for scrapping. A fine example of their competence is the fact they planned to take over the Wales franchise from Arriva in partnership with er, Carillion.

Aqualung
27-03-2018, 13:26
Slight preference on a superficial level for Loughborough - easier to get to, and more pubs with reviews on this site!

A minus point may be that there aren't enough pubs for some people!

Aqualung
27-03-2018, 13:27
We've usually done July in the past, but as discussion has started early, June is certainly doable. However, train tickets for 15th/16th will already be on sale, so agreeing the destination pretty damned quick would also be good.

That makes July favourite in my book.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2018, 17:02

A minus point may be that there aren't enough pubs for some people!

More than Newcastle-u-Lyme or Lichfield, on a rough count. I last did Lichfield (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/lichfield/staffordshire/) in 2013 - eight pubs in just over two hours with my Luton mates before attending what I hope will turn out to be our last ever game at Tamworth (we held on for a 4-3 win after going 4-1 up with half an hour to play - I did wonder if the team had done their own pre-match pub crawl too). Too many Marstons pubs, though mostly very nice pubs. Now two micros and a "we're not really a micro", so a bit of variety and competition. Could be interesting. (Trains from Tamworth to Lichfield are frequent and it's a quick journey; Tamworth is fairly easy to get to from all parts of the country because of the lines crossing over. Hint: it can be cheaper to buy a ticket to Tamworth and then a separate day return from Tam to Lich City.)

Loughborough has over 40 pubs in the centre (Lichfield only 49 in the entire postal district). Downside: lots of student pubs.

I've only ever been to one pub in Newcastle-u-Lyme, so wouldn't mind seeing what else there is. Anyone want to make a case for it? Or Stamford?

Is Lincoln in the Midlands? And how about Norwich - fantastic city for pubs but almost as far east as Moscow.

How about a poll? (With closing date, say the end of next week so that people can get their train tickets sorted before they become too pricey.)

sheffield hatter
28-03-2018, 17:05
That makes July favourite in my book.

We have done June before - so why not Friday, 15th? Or does anyone want to make a case for Saturday 16th? Or anyone strongly prefer July over June, and that's just tough for those who can't make July? (Just playing devil's advocate here, you understand.)

Mobyduck
28-03-2018, 17:43
More than Newcastle-u-Lyme or Lichfield, on a rough count. I last did Lichfield (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/lichfield/staffordshire/) in 2013 - eight pubs in just over two hours with my Luton mates before attending what I hope will turn out to be our last ever game at Tamworth (we held on for a 4-3 win after going 4-1 up with half an hour to play - I did wonder if the team had done their own pre-match pub crawl too). Too many Marstons pubs, though mostly very nice pubs. Now two micros and a "we're not really a micro", so a bit of variety and competition. Could be interesting. (Trains from Tamworth to Lichfield are frequent and it's a quick journey; Tamworth is fairly easy to get to from all parts of the country because of the lines crossing over. Hint: it can be cheaper to buy a ticket to Tamworth and then a separate day return from Tam to Lich City.)

Loughborough has over 40 pubs in the centre (Lichfield only 49 in the entire postal district). Downside: lots of student pubs.

I've only ever been to one pub in Newcastle-u-Lyme, so wouldn't mind seeing what else there is. Anyone want to make a case for it? Or Stamford?

Is Lincoln in the Midlands? And how about Norwich - fantastic city for pubs but almost as far east as Moscow.

How about a poll? (With closing date, say the end of next week so that people can get their train tickets sorted before they become too pricey.)

A poll would be good if someone can put one up.

Mobyduck
28-03-2018, 17:46
We have done June before - so why not Friday, 15th? Or does anyone want to make a case for Saturday 16th? Or anyone strongly prefer July over June, and that's just tough for those who can't make July? (Just playing devil's advocate here, you understand.)

July maybe trickier than June for me , and Saturday easier and a fair bit cheaper, so preferable, but can be flexible on that one.

ROBCamra
28-03-2018, 18:55
Can't make June, will be in Ciutadella. July is fine.

AlanH
28-03-2018, 19:35

Lichfield sounds good to me. Easy to get to from Brum, Crewe and other points on the West Coast main line. Lichfield is in the real Midlands.

As Bridgnorth to Kidderminster is a bit slow and messy, How about Kidderminster and Stourbridge.

Aqualung
28-03-2018, 20:16

Newcastle has 2 GBG listed micropubs, the Lymestone Vaults (also GBG), a good Joules pub with a couple of decent guests, a Titanic pub with a GBG listed Free House on the way back to town, a biker's GBG listed Free House that doesn't open until 17:00 on Fridays and a Weal Ales outlet called Wellers. The Spoons is average and there may well be more to add to that list.

I can't make a case for Stamford at all, having visited the JDW I doubt that I would go back.

Aqualung
28-03-2018, 20:44

They're in East Anglia of course!
I've been to Norwich a few times while doing the JDWs and only managed one "proper" pub which I didn't like. It strikes me that to get around places involves a hell of a lot of walking. I don't think either are very good for travelling to.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2018, 21:53

They're in East Anglia of course!

"Strictly speaking, East Anglia is made up of just three counties – Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, which were settled in the fifth century by Angles from today’s Schleswig-Holstein – but it has come to be loosely applied to parts of Essex too." (Rough Guides) Other authorities agree, so you're on your own in placing Lincoln in East Anglia! I hope you were joking...

I've been to Norwich a few times while doing the JDWs and only managed one "proper" pub which I didn't like. It strikes me that to get around places involves a hell of a lot of walking. I don't think either are very good for travelling to.

Lincoln is not so hard to get to as it used to be, as there are trains from London, Nottingham, Sheffield and Doncaster. And it has loads of excellent pubs. Though I'd have to concede that [a hell of a lot of] walking is necessary to get from one pub to another. Some of it is even uphill. (Consequently, as luck would have it, some is [slightly] downhill.)

Aqualung
28-03-2018, 23:42
"Strictly speaking, East Anglia is made up of just three counties – Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, which were settled in the fifth century by Angles from today’s Schleswig-Holstein – but it has come to be loosely applied to parts of Essex too." (Rough Guides) Other authorities agree, so you're on your own in placing Lincoln in East Anglia! I hope you were joking...

I was trying to avoid having to say whether Lincoln is in the Midlands or North but I'll go with the Midlands. I don't recall there being any direct trains from London but it's not difficult to get to.

Tris39
29-03-2018, 00:41

Lincoln is not so hard to get to as it used to be, as there are trains from London, Nottingham, Sheffield and Doncaster. And it has loads of excellent pubs. Though I'd have to concede that [a hell of a lot of] walking is necessary to get from one pub to another. Some of it is even uphill. (Consequently, as luck would have it, some is [slightly] downhill.)

Lincoln sounds good.

Tris39
29-03-2018, 00:42
If people thought there were a lot of pubs in Brighton, just look at how many have closed and this list doesn't include Hove!

http://closedpubs.co.uk/sussex/brighton.html

oldboots
29-03-2018, 09:32
Newcastle has 2 GBG listed micropubs, the Lymestone Vaults (also GBG), a good Joules pub with a couple of decent guests, a Titanic pub with a GBG listed Free House on the way back to town, a biker's GBG listed Free House that doesn't open until 17:00 on Fridays and a Weal Ales outlet called Wellers. The Spoons is average and there may well be more to add to that list.

I can't make a case for Stamford at all, having visited the JDW I doubt that I would go back.

The five GBG2018 pubs are, Bridge Street Ale House, Freebird, Hop Inn, Hopwater Cellar, Lymestone vaults. I used to drive through the place and wasn't impressed but I've never drunk there so couldn't possibly comment. Inconveniently it doesn't have a railway station so it's a bus from Stoke.

Stamford is good, four GBG2018 pubs plus a couple of other decent ones, it's compact and has rail connections (via Peterborough I believe so ECML).

I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill. Rail links are still a little bit convoluted, especially from Leeds, it's usually a change at Peterborough from London. While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).

I'd go to Kidderminster any time but Stourbridge was mostly shut when I went there and there's the rattler from Stourbridge Junction to "enjoy", but I could be persuaded.

How do we set up a poll?

Contenders so far (with GBG pubs)

Bridgnorth (6)
Kidderminster (7)
Lichfield (4)
Lincoln (9)
Loughborough (6)
Newark (5)
Newcastle UL (5)
Norwich (26)
Stamford (4)
Stourbridge (5)

sheffield hatter
29-03-2018, 09:51
I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill. Rail links are still a little bit convoluted, especially from Leeds, it's usually a change at Peterborough from London. While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).

I have seen trains for Lincoln when at St Pancras, but on checking it turns out they are in the evenings (presumably for commuters?). There are some trains from St P, changing at Nottingham, but the fastest route from London is change at Peterborough, as you suggest.

From the north, there are some trains from Doncaster to Lincoln, for example depart Leeds 9:45, change at Doncaster 10:16/10:24, arrive at Lincoln 11:16.

Newark is good. I went there a few years back and had a good day out, and I believe it has got better since then. Didn't we have Newark on a poll a couple of years ago?

AlanH
29-03-2018, 09:53
"

Lincoln is not so hard to get to as it used to be, as there are trains from London, Nottingham, Sheffield and Doncaster.

Easier to get to Moscow from Wales! Another "Beast from the East".

oldboots
29-03-2018, 10:17
From the north, there are some trains from Doncaster to Lincoln, for example depart Leeds 9:45, change at Doncaster 10:16/10:24, arrive at Lincoln 11:16.

Donny's a pain in the ar*e from home and pricey especially if I go via York (3 trains as well as the bus), the best/cheapest route is usually Leeds - Sheffield - Lincoln, just a bit slow.

Aqualung
29-03-2018, 11:22
I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill.

I hope a certain person from Nottingham doesn't see that! That hill and distances are a deal breaker for me plus the fact that I'd rather not go to a Bateman's pub after they so brazenly watered down XXXB some years ago.

While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).

I thoroughly enjoyed a day in Newark and seem to recall the trek from the station is the only one.

I'd go to Kidderminster any time but Stourbridge was mostly shut when I went there and there's the rattler from Stourbridge Junction to "enjoy", but I could be persuaded.

I'm not sure anything would be shut in Stourbridge on a Friday or Saturday. The Batham's one and the Duke William are killer pubs but are there enough others? I haven't been to the micropub. The boneshaker makes the idea of a combined visit with Kidderminster a bit impractical.

How do we set up a poll?

Pass!

hondo
29-03-2018, 12:08
Creating a new poll
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=vote&titleandtext=1&match=all

AlanH
29-03-2018, 12:11
The boneshaker makes the idea of a combined visit with Kidderminster a bit impractical.

The "Boneshaker" only takes 5 minutes and runs every 10 minutes. It doesn't travel fast enough to shake any bones in its 3/4 mile journey. :p

Kidderminster to Stourbridge Junction takes just 12 minutes.

sheffield hatter
29-03-2018, 12:16
...plus the fact that I'd rather not go to a Bateman's pub after they so brazenly watered down XXXB some years ago.

I understand that there's a new young head brewer there now who is restoring XXXB to its former glory.

oldboots
29-03-2018, 12:21
Creating a new poll
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=vote&titleandtext=1&match=all

I'm obliged, however I don't get taken to the poll creation page. Anyone else care to try?

Bucking Fastard
29-03-2018, 12:24
I'm obliged, however I don't get taken to the poll creation page. Anyone else care to try?

I noticed that there are only a maximum of 10 options for a poll.Happy to post a poll for the date but this will only carry the 10 Fridays and Saturday from Friday June 15th until Saturday 14th July.

hondo
29-03-2018, 12:32

Creating a new poll

When you post a new thread, you may have the option to also create a poll.

This function allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.

An example poll might be:

What is your favorite color?

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Sky-blue pink with yellow spots
To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.

When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.

You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it only stays open for voting for a week.

Voting in and viewing a poll
To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the [Vote!] button. You may view the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.

Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully

oldboots
29-03-2018, 12:45
Sorry, what I meant wasn't happening was:-

Creating a new poll

When you post a new thread, you may have the option to also create a poll.

This function allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.

An example poll might be:

What is your favorite color?

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Sky-blue pink with yellow spots
To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.

When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.

You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it only stays open for voting for a week.

Voting in and viewing a poll
To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the [Vote!] button. You may view the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.

Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully

AlanH
29-03-2018, 12:50
As a quick convenient solution to a Midlands crawl, why not do Birmingham (again!). Lots on new members since the last one and no doubt some changes in the pubs.

Easy to get there and back from all directions. (Except maybe Lincoln :evilgrin:)

Oggwyn Trench
29-03-2018, 19:14
I am sure someone mentioned doing Birmingham in 2020 as the 10th anniversary of the first PuG crawl , seems a good idea to me .

If we start now we might actually get it set up in time :evilgrin:

Bucking Fastard
09-04-2018, 22:43
The polls have closed ,the result is Newcastle -under-Lyme on Friday 15th June.

Looking forward to it.:drinkup:

Aqualung
10-04-2018, 19:11

I'm defo going on this one having got the rail tickets and booked two nights at the Wolverhampton Premier Inn which is a hands and knees crawl away from the Great Western or even quicker with a slalom walk (ricochets included).

Pubsignman
11-04-2018, 01:08

Ah, shame - that's the only weekend I can't do. It's an interesting choice of location and I'll look forward to hearing how you all get on.:cheers:

sheffield hatter
11-04-2018, 10:55

The five GBG2018 pubs are, Bridge Street Ale House, Freebird, Hop Inn, Hopwater Cellar, Lymestone vaults. I used to drive through the place and wasn't impressed but I've never drunk there so couldn't possibly comment. Inconveniently it doesn't have a railway station so it's a bus from Stoke.

I've had a trawl through PuG and WhatPub and come up with 22 possibles. (No doubt I have missed some, but can rely on one of you to point out my errors.)

I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a few on the way in from Stoke on the bus, and similarly, I think it makes sense to finish on that side of town: there are some in Hartshill that are quite close to a bus stop.

On the way in:
Greyhound (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52891/) (Titanic/Project William)
Hopinn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52898/) (GBG 2018)
Victoria (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52894/) ("old school corner pub")
Museum (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52897/) (former GBG entry)

Town centre:
Arnold Machin ('Spoons) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52865/)
Jolly Potter (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52866/) (local guest ales)
Hogarths (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81010/) (recently acquired by Amber)
Old Bulls Head (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52900/) (Joules - oldest pub in town)
Thirsty Giraffe (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86305/) (micro)
Ten Green Bottles (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83796/) (bottles & craft - some of it may be real ale)
Hopwater Cellar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83797/) (GBG 2018; Bottles, one HP, two key keg)
Old Brown Jug (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52869/) (Marstons - used to be one of only two GBG pubs in this town)
Bridge Street Alehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82377/) (GBG 2018. Micro)
Lymestone Vaults (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/79320/) (GBG 2018)
Wellers (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84707/) (Weal Ales tap)

Just outside:
N
Freebird (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/46785/) (NB Opens at 5pm. GBG 2018)
SW
Sneyd Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52879/)/Waggon & Horses (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52912/) (opposite each other)
SE
Castle Mona (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73208/) ("a gem of a corner pub")

On the way back:
Artisan Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85408/)
Old House At Home (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32470/)
Sanctuary Ale House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84805/) (micro)

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2018, 13:09
I've had a trawl through PuG and WhatPub and come up with 22 possibles. (No doubt I have missed some, but can rely on one of you to point out my errors.)

I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a few on the way in from Stoke on the bus, and similarly, I think it makes sense to finish on that side of town: there are some in Hartshill that are quite close to a bus stop.

On the way in:
Hopinn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52898/) (GBG 2018)

Town centre:
Jolly Potter (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52866/) (local guest ales)
Hogarths (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81010/) (recently acquired by Amber)
Old Bulls Head (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52900/) (Joules - oldest pub in town)
Ten Green Bottles (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83796/) (bottles & craft - some of it may be real ale)
Hopwater Cellar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83797/) (GBG 2018; Bottles, one HP, two key keg)
Old Brown Jug (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52869/) (Marstons - used to be one of only two GBG pubs in this town)
Bridge Street Alehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82377/) (GBG 2018. Micro)

Just outside:
N
SW
Sneyd Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52879/)/Waggon & Horses (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52912/) (opposite each other)
SE
Castle Mona (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73208/) ("a gem of a corner pub")

On the way back:
Artisan Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85408/)
Old House At Home (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32470/)
Sanctuary Ale House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84805/) (micro)

Good work Will,looks like we are on for the full Alan Winfield !

I wonder if it may be better to plan to do the town centre first.I noticed that quite a few pubs at the periphery to the town centre open a bit late on a Friday according to What Pub,if that source can be trusted.

Greyhound 2pm
Hop Inn 4pm
Castle Mona 4pm
Sneyd Arms 3pm
Free Bird 5pm.

I like the idea of drifting down through Hartshill on the way back to tick off the Artisan Tap,Old House at Home and Sanctuary Ale House.

sheffield hatter
11-04-2018, 23:00
I wonder if it may be better to plan to do the town centre first.I noticed that quite a few pubs at the periphery to the town centre open a bit late on a Friday according to What Pub,if that source can be trusted.

Greyhound 2pm
Hop Inn 4pm
Castle Mona 4pm
Sneyd Arms 3pm
Free Bird 5pm.

I've got Greyhound 12 noon - source: https://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/our-pubs/the-greyhound/; Hopinn 12 noon - source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/1hopinn/about; I agree with the times for Sneyd, Freebird and Castle Mona, but they're all later on the crawl, according to my initial thoughts.

...looks like we are on for the full Alan Winfield !

Obviously these are only suggestions at this stage, and if you think I'm going for a full Winfield, you must be joking.

Aqualung
14-04-2018, 23:31
I was really chuffed that what I thought was a left field suggestion for a visit was taken up and that my other suggestion of Loughborough made a strong showing. I'm more than happy to let others sort out the itinerary as I'll be doing a Lite version based on the micropubs and town centre but hopefully including Freebird to the North. These are my recollections from a few years ago and other thoughts.
The Titanic Greyhound and Hopinn are out on a bit of a limb to the East but both well worth going to. I seem to recall that the JDW is slightly to the East as well rather than being in the thick of it.
According to What Pub the 10 green bottles opens at 10:30 which if it's a bottle shop style micropub would make sense,
I'm fairly confident that the 11:00 time stated for the Lymestone Vaults would be right as it's very much a town centre pub.
Don't be put off by the Joules ownership of the Old Bulls Head as it's probably the best Joules pub I've been to. It had a couple of Boss guest ales on when I visited.
The Thirsty Giraffe appears to be a micropub that prefers to be thought of as a bar!
Would it be worth approaching Freebird for an early opening?

rpadam
15-04-2018, 09:07
Just to note that the Stoke-on-Trent PlusBus ticket (£3.00) zone covers Newcastle-under-Lyme and a wide area beyond.

Aqualung
15-04-2018, 10:32
and the bus for Newcastle goes from the stop diagonally opposite the station (you need to cross the road or you'll end up in Hanley). The main station exit is on the platform with trains coming from the North.

sheffield hatter
15-04-2018, 11:52
and the bus for Newcastle goes from the stop diagonally opposite the station (you need to cross the road or you'll end up in Hanley). The main station exit is on the platform with trains coming from the North.

The 25 bus to Newcastle goes from outside the station, as you say. My suggestion, for those who want to do some of the pubs in the east (Greyhound, Hopinn, Victoria and Museum), would be to get the 11 bus which goes through Hartshill and stops just across the road from the Greyhound. The nearest stop to the station for the 11 bus is on Church St near the minster (stop Q); for those who want to try this route but don't want to walk from the station to the minster (half a mile), the buses 25 & Yellow 9 will provide a link (there are others that merely reduce the walking - these stop on the same street, or even at the same stop). Caveat: I've never done this - I'm just working from Google maps and online timetables.

sheffield hatter
15-04-2018, 12:26
I'm more than happy to let others sort out the itinerary as I'll be doing a Lite version based on the micropubs and town centre but hopefully including Freebird to the North. These are my recollections from a few years ago and other thoughts. The Titanic Greyhound and Hopinn are out on a bit of a limb to the East but both well worth going to.

As per my previous post, I suggest this is best done by starting there, on the way in from Stoke. Doing the town centre first means either catching a bus back or walking to these. And they all open at noon on Fridays, so why not start there?

I seem to recall that the JDW is slightly to the East as well rather than being in the thick of it.

Yes, not far from the roundabout at the end of King St. But still part of the town centre.

According to What Pub the 10 green bottles opens at 10:30 which if it's a bottle shop style micropub would make sense.

...but at 12 noon according to their own Facebook page. (I can't get their website to open.)

I'm fairly confident that the 11:00 time stated for the Lymestone Vaults would be right as it's very much a town centre pub.

I've seen it described as a "wine bar-type pub". This, the 'Spoons and Hogarths appear to be the only ones to open before noon on a Friday.

Don't be put off by the Joules ownership of the Old Bulls Head as it's probably the best Joules pub I've been to. It had a couple of Boss guest ales on when I visited.

It looks like it's worth a visit, as the oldest pub in town - dating back to the 14th century, though how much of that is still extant is another matter. And it's not in the inventory of historic pub interiors.

The Thirsty Giraffe appears to be a micropub that prefers to be thought of as a bar!

Certainly seems to be an emphasis on spirits on their Facebook page. Real ales, too, though.

Would it be worth approaching Freebird for an early opening?

How good is it? Is it a must visit? With nine pubs plus 'Spoon and Hogarths in the town centre, do we need the extra five minute walk there (from the nearest, which is Hopwater Cellar)? For those that want to, five o'clock would still do, I think.

As for asking about early opening, I'm not sure we could interest them - it's different if a pub is in an area with some passing trade anyway - the promise of selling 20 drinks in half an hour can tip the balance between opening or not. But being out on a limb like they are, not so tempting for them. And we'd have to commit to being there at a particular time - have you tried herding cats? (Perhaps I'm biased against it because I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd.)

Aqualung
15-04-2018, 18:11
Re 12:00 start, I'm going to be there long before 12:00 so will start at the Lymestone Vaults but checking 10 green bottles if there is time. I hope the Hopinn does open at 12:00! I'm wary of Hogarths as unless it's independent it IS a chain of pubs concentrating on gin.

Re Freebird. You're right about asking if it will open early, if I'm in any fir state to do so I'll try and get down there but I suspect I may be Chasing Rainbows with that idea. I haven't been there.

Does anyone know Weal's beers which Wellers is a showcase for? I don't believe I've ever tried one but the name rings a bell.

gillhalfpint
16-04-2018, 15:43
Enjoyed Weal Ales Centwealial in the Post office Vaults in Birmingham on Saturday. Had a couple of other of their beers too.

Aqualung
16-04-2018, 16:15
Enjoyed Weal Ales Centwealial in the Post office Vaults in Birmingham on Saturday. Had a couple of other of their beers too.
Thanks! sounds like Wellers should be worth more than just the one pint. It looks like I'll have to find a Saturday to visit Newcastle just to visit Freebird!

AlanH
18-04-2018, 11:53
The nearest stop to the station for the 11 bus is on Church St near the minster (stop Q);

There is a nearer stop for the No.11 on City Road as you turn right under the railway (the 25 bus also stops here), but if you carry on to the next stop Q on Church Street, you can sink a swift half of Titanic in the White Star (open at 11).

sheffield hatter
19-04-2018, 12:43

On the way in:
Hopinn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52898/) (GBG 2018) NB Opens 4pm
Cask Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86330/) (newish micro)

Town centre:
Jolly Potter (local guest ales)
Mellards (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86307/)(new bar with two real ales and some kegs)

Just outside:
N
NE
Holy Inadequate (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52833/) (reachable by bus)
SW
SE
Boat & Horses (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52856/) (on the way to Castle Mona)

On the way back:
Artisan Tap
Old House At Home
Sanctuary Ale House (micro)

I went for a recce in Newcastle this week. My aim was to get a feel for the place and also to see if there was anything I might have missed from my trawl through PuG and WhatPub. The only surprise was a newish micro, the Cask Bar opposite the Museum, which was on the latter but which I have now added to the former. I also eliminated a few pubs from my initial list: I didn't think much of any of the pubs in Hartshill, and I was also unimpressed with the Waggon and Horses, though anyone visiting the Sneyd Arms could also pop in there if they feel like it. And I've scratched the Jolly Potter after having a pretty poor drink there.

Having had a very nice beer in Mellards, I have added that to my original list. Also, a couple of people recommended the Holy Inadequate, which some of our members have reviewed. It's outside Newcastle, but easily reached by bus so could be incorporated in the crawl. I've also confirmed that the Hopinn does not open until 4pm. I've tabulated my research on the accompanying spreadsheet, including some buses and their timings. Whether it's possible to put this all together into a crawl route is another matter - maybe individuals will have to devise their own preferences and routes according to their stamina and the arrival/departure times of their trains.

trainman
19-04-2018, 13:04
Blimey! A pre-crawl quality-control crawl!

sheffield hatter
19-04-2018, 13:19
Blimey! A pre-crawl quality-control crawl!

I only did it so you don't have to, Jim.

ROBCamra
19-04-2018, 14:20
As it happens I can do Friday the 15th now as we don't actually fly until Sunday the 17th.

Booked into the N-U-L Travelodge for £36 per night.

Ms CAMRA may even join us. :eek:

Aqualung
20-04-2018, 10:00
Whether it's possible to put this all together into a crawl route is another matter - maybe individuals will have to devise their own preferences and routes according to their stamina and the arrival/departure times of their trains.

That's an excellent job done!
I think we've already discounted Freebird and I wonder what bearing the late opening of Hopinn will have.
I'll still be going for a Lite version as I only drink pints and would like to stop for a few in Wellers.
I'm not at all surprised about the extra micropub as I spoke to someone who was from Stoke a while ago and he said "there's loads of micropubs in Newcastle". That didn't ring true with just the two I knew about.
It seems to me the major decision that needs to be made is whether to start in the town centre at 11:00 or in the Greyhound area at 12:00. I'm not fussy as I'll be around early anyway.

sheffield hatter
20-04-2018, 18:07
I think we've already discounted Freebird and I wonder what bearing the late opening of Hopinn will have.

It seems a shame about the Freebird, as it's one of the GBG 2018 entries. It's only a few minutes from the Bridge St and Hopwater at the northern edge of the town centre, so would be easily doable. It's just that 5pm opening time...

The landlady of the Hopinn did say that she might be amenable to opening early, but I got the impression she would prefer something not too much too early - say 3pm rather than 1pm. She asked me to phone nearer the time to negotiate, so we need to develop a clear idea of when we might arrive and how many of us there would be.

It seems to me the major decision that needs to be made is whether to start in the town centre at 11:00 or in the Greyhound area at 12:00. I'm not fussy as I'll be around early anyway.

My initial thought was to start at the Greyhound, but perhaps finishing there might be better. The No.11 bus passes close by, or if anyone still wants to do the Sanctuary after my damning review, the No.25 stops not far from that one.

I thought that a finishing stretch of
Boat & Horses (wild card)
Castle Mona
Cask Bar
Museum (wild card)
Greyhound
...might be quite good.

I really fancy doing the Holy Inadequate, and this can be fitted into the schedule by taking a bus out there, a bus back to the Hopinn (plus Victoria (wild card)?). Arriving at the Hopinn at 3pm would mean a bus from the town centre around 1:55 if doing the Holy, or 2:55 if not. So not doing the Holy gives more time in the town centre.

Given a choice of around 10 pubs in town (plus 'Spoons), and a maximum of five mins walking between neighbouring pubs, it's certainly doable, depending on arrival times of trains and buses.

Aqualung
20-04-2018, 21:59
It seems a shame about the Freebird, as it's one of the GBG 2018 entries. It's only a few minutes from the Bridge St and Hopwater at the northern edge of the town centre, so would be easily doable. It's just that 5pm opening time...

The landlady of the Hopinn did say that she might be amenable to opening early, but I got the impression she would prefer something not too much too early - say 3pm rather than 1pm. She asked me to phone nearer the time to negotiate, so we need to develop a clear idea of when we might arrive and how many of us there would be.

My initial thought was to start at the Greyhound, but perhaps finishing there might be better. The No.11 bus passes close by, or if anyone still wants to do the Sanctuary after my damning review, the No.25 stops not far from that one.

If the Hopinn are prepared to open early than that's a double incentive for me to get to the Greyhound area along with the Cask Bar. It mrans that starting in the centre makes more sense but I really think that Freebird is best left for a Saturday visit or for anyone staying in town.

I really fancy doing the Holy Inadequate, and this can be fitted into the schedule by taking a bus out there, a bus back to the Hopinn (plus Victoria (wild card)?). Arriving at the Hopinn at 3pm would mean a bus from the town centre around 1:55 if doing the Holy, or 2:55 if not. So not doing the Holy gives more time in the town centre.

Given a choice of around 10 pubs in town (plus 'Spoons), and a maximum of five mins walking between neighbouring pubs, it's certainly doable, depending on arrival times of trains and buses.

Personally I've no interest in out of town extras as I'll be going Lite anyway. Obviously that doesn't mean I'm against others having a go!
I'm beginning to detect the semblance of a route. On the only occasion I've been to Newcastle I went to the JDW, what was a Hop Back pub up to the North, The Lymestone Vaults, The Old Bulls Head, the Cupinn and the Greyhound.
One small point, I'd rather do the furthest micro in Bridge Street then walk back rather than the other way round.

I've no interest in visiting the Spoons although it's not a bad one. I'll be having breakfast in the Wolverhampton one. In the likely event that I return to Newcastle on a Saturday I will go there early.

Gann
23-04-2018, 15:41
As it happens I can do Friday the 15th now as we don't actually fly until Sunday the 17th.

I can do the Friday as well and as luck would have it Virgin trains, who were clearly missing me since the last time I used them for Stockport, sent me a personal discount voucher that I have now utilised to arrive in Stoke at 10.48AM on the 9.20AM out of Euston. As Mrs Gann is busy on the Saturday and doesn't want to make a weekend of it (somehow I don't think the retail delights of Newcastle Under Lyme were viewed in the same league as Brighton) I will be training it back down on the 20.52PM... And also all Plusbus upped.

I havent done Newcastle Under Lyme or Stoke for getting on for 30 years , since the days when I used to have to work a couple of times a month out of my then company's "Northern" Office in Nantwich. And even then our visits were fleeting as I used to go with a guy who lived in Stafford and couldn't be trusted to not refer to the locals as "mudchuckers" after a couple of pints.

So any itinerary will be considered as virginal for me and I have no burning ambition to go off piste to far flung parts to capture a particular tick , and would rather stick around with the masses and enjoy the ride, especially as safety in numbers means I've got more chance of making it back to the station for the return..

Bucking Fastard
24-04-2018, 18:29
I can do the Friday as well and as luck would have it Virgin trains, who were clearly missing me since the last time I used them for Stockport, sent me a personal discount voucher that I have now utilised to arrive in Stoke at 10.48AM on the 9.20AM out of Euston. As Mrs Gann is busy on the Saturday and doesn't want to make a weekend of it (somehow I don't think the retail delights of Newcastle Under Lyme were viewed in the same league as Brighton) I will be training it back down on the 20.52PM... And also all Plusbus upped.

I havent done Newcastle Under Lyme or Stoke for getting on for 30 years , since the days when I used to have to work a couple of times a month out of my then company's "Northern" Office in Nantwich. And even then our visits were fleeting as I used to go with a guy who lived in Stafford and couldn't be trusted to not refer to the locals as "mudchuckers" after a couple of pints.

So any itinerary will be considered as virginal for me and I have no burning ambition to go off piste to far flung parts to capture a particular tick , and would rather stick around with the masses and enjoy the ride, especially as safety in numbers means I've got more chance of making it back to the station for the return..

I am on the same trains as Gann,arriving at SoT at 10.48am and departing on the 20.52pm. I will therefore be able to join the early doors drinkers at whichever pub may be open at that time.Like Gann I would like to stick to the main crawl route around town,which if well defined will allow those that want to go off piste a reasonable chance to know where to rejoin the throng.Will's pre crawl research has been very useful and has added to the options available in NuL,thanks.

Aqualung
29-04-2018, 00:27
Can we agree to leave it to Will to devise a route that includes all wild cards and optional extensions? I'll assume a lack of response means a YES!

gillhalfpint
29-04-2018, 09:54

Having bumped into you in Sheffield yesterday --- as you do --- I feel a bit sad that we can't consider going on this one if pubs are so close as it could be doable for Ray. We will be in Norway. Already found a few breweries!!

Gill

sheffield hatter
29-04-2018, 21:30
I feel a bit sad that we can't consider going on this one if pubs are so close as it could be doable for Ray. We will be in Norway.

What a shame! I hope you have a lovely time in Norway, by way of a consolation prize.

rpadam
29-04-2018, 21:36
We will be in Norway. Already found a few breweries!!
Interesting country, and spectacular scenery, but take plenty of cash as beer is really expensive...

sheffield hatter
21-05-2018, 22:16
Can we agree to leave it to Will to devise a route that includes all wild cards and optional extensions? I'll assume a lack of response means a YES!

May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave earlier?

Whether it's possible to put this all together into a crawl route is another matter - maybe individuals will have to devise their own preferences and routes according to their stamina and the arrival/departure times of their trains.

I now feel like I've been neglecting my homework and have had to rush to catch up. In fact, as I can recall from when this happened with real homework, I've ended up by not really answering the question. That is, I've (fairly subtly, I think) left it to you all to devise your own routes!

Anyway, please see the attached documents. See you all in Newcastle!

Aqualung
23-05-2018, 11:55
Excellent work!
I'll just clarify something which may not be obvious if you fail to take in the Transport & Walking notes. Outliers 1-3 are arguably part of Newcastle but don't really fit in with the main scheme, largely due to late opening. Outlier 4 the Holy Inadequate is in another part of Stoke called Etruria which I'd heard of but had to look on the map to see where it was. The outskirts ones (I call them the Greyhound group) contain two I visited in 2016 (Greyhound & Hopinn) when I walked to them in the rain and back to the bus station. I was less of a physical wreck then but still a wreck. I seem to recall it being uphill from the centre but not desperate.

Given there are four (?) micropubs it's probably a very good idea not to have a fixed and timed route as generally these venues aren't suited to a large influx of punters all at the same time.

sheffield hatter
23-05-2018, 14:14
Excellent work!
I'll just clarify something which may not be obvious if you fail to take in the Transport & Walking notes. Outliers 1-3 are arguably part of Newcastle but don't really fit in with the main scheme, largely due to late opening. Outlier 4 the Holy Inadequate is in another part of Stoke called Etruria which I'd heard of but had to look on the map to see where it was. The outskirts ones (I call them the Greyhound group) contain two I visited in 2016 (Greyhound & Hopinn) when I walked to them in the rain and back to the bus station. I was less of a physical wreck then but still a wreck. I seem to recall it being uphill from the centre but not desperate.

Given there are four (?) micropubs it's probably a very good idea not to have a fixed and timed route as generally these venues aren't suited to a large influx of punters all at the same time.

Thanks for your useful input.

The Holy Inadequate (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52833/) was recommended to me by two people in two different Newcastle pubs when they heard that I was doing a reconnaissance for a pub crawl. It also comes highly recommended by some of our members. And although you are quite right that it is not in Newcastle, it is only a seven minute bus ride (see Google maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Bus+Station+(Stand+6)/53.0203842,-2.2003151/@53.0150496,-2.2202944,15z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a6809c0f1c353:0xf2330 eda0220615c!2m2!1d-2.224786!2d53.010563!1m0!3e3)). I know you have already said you weren't interested in "out of town extras" yourself, but I would encourage others to join me on this addition to the main route. (I'll be quite happy to do it on my own, though.)

Your thought about some of the smaller pubs is a good one, though, and it was at the back of my mind while recommending the not-at-all-rigorously-scheduled route around the town centre, so thanks for reinforcing that point.

Aqualung
23-05-2018, 17:50
The Holy Inadequate (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52833/) was recommended to me by two people in two different Newcastle pubs when they heard that I was doing a reconnaissance for a pub crawl.

It sounds to me like it's worth a cheap weekday trip up on the slow 08:46 Crewe service to give it an "intensive investigation", Although it appears to be nearer Stoke Rail Station your direct 4 bus to it ends up at the main Stoke bus station at Hanley so you have to go via there or just walk it. I must have seen it in the GBG but discarded it as it's the only one in the area.

Bucking Fastard
23-05-2018, 18:07
It sounds to me like it's worth a cheap weekday trip up on the slow 08:46 Crewe service to give it an "intensive investigation", Although it appears to be nearer Stoke Rail Station your direct 4 bus to it ends up at the main Stoke bus station at Hanley so you have to go via there or just walk it. I must have seen it in the GBG but discarded it as it's the only one in the area.

I often walk down the towpath from Etruria to Stoke station when boating,a very pleasant 20 minutes passing by all the locks of the Stoke flight.

Gann
31-05-2018, 13:43
Excellent work Will...

And far be it for me to add or complicate the great work, but whilst familarising myself with the plan of action and options available the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House kept popping up for pubs on the bus route back to Stoke.
They seem to be getting encouraging reviews in other areas but obviously didn't float your boat when you visited.
Due to their proximity to the Greyhound I'm wondering if they could make sense as wild cards further down the Hartshill Road for those with late trains ?

sheffield hatter
31-05-2018, 23:15
... whilst familarising myself with the plan of action and options available the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House kept popping up for pubs on the bus route back to Stoke.
They seem to be getting encouraging reviews in other areas but obviously didn't float your boat when you visited.
Due to their proximity to the Greyhound I'm wondering if they could make sense as wild cards further down the Hartshill Road for those with late trains ?

That was what I thought at first, but my reconnaissance visit in April caused me to drop that part of the plan. Especially when the Etruria option was suggested to me. :)

It seems to me a better idea after the Greyhound (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52891/) would be to get a bus to within spitting distance of the station and have a last half or two at the White Star (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64903/) (average rating 9) or the Glebe (average rating 7.5).

But by all means go ahead and do the Artisan (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85408/) (average rating 5) and the Sanctuary (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84805/) (average rating 4). I'll just say this now, to save me saying it afterwards: "Told you so!" :evilgrin:

ETA
01-06-2018, 07:38
Having bumped into you in Sheffield yesterday --- as you do --- I feel a bit sad that we can't consider going on this one if pubs are so close as it could be doable for Ray. We will be in Norway. Already found a few breweries!!

Gill

When we lived in Stavanger we found https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190511-d5426959-r177999612-Cardinal-Stavanger_Stavanger_Municipality_Rogaland_Western_ Norway.html was a pretty good local. Lots of beer choice and really quite civilised compared to the other city centre bars.

Soup Dragon
01-06-2018, 11:14
So, to check, it is Newcastle UL on Friday 15 June? I may be able to get to this:D

Gann
01-06-2018, 12:18
So, to check, it is Newcastle UL on Friday 15 June? I may be able to get to this:D

Yes SD, you are correct. Would be great to have you out again..

Gann
01-06-2018, 12:23
But by all means go ahead and do the Artisan (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85408/) (average rating 5) and the Sanctuary (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84805/) (average rating 4). I'll just say this now, to save me saying it afterwards: "Told you so!" :evilgrin:

I would like to point out that these scores are based on one review. But at least its a trusted reviewer... :).
And the idea of having a beer in a last pub from where you could crawl to the train station entrance does make a lot of sense.....

sheffield hatter
01-06-2018, 14:19
I would like to point out that these scores are based on one review. But at least its a trusted reviewer... :).

Yes, I should have put "tongue in cheek" quote marks around those "averages"! (Thanks for "trusted", BTW.)

And the idea of having a beer in a last pub from where you could crawl to the train station entrance does make a lot of sense.....

At the end of the day, everyone can suit themselves at the end of the day...

Mobyduck
01-06-2018, 19:45
Yes, I should have put "tongue in cheek" quote marks around those "averages"! (Thanks for "trusted", BTW.)

At the end of the day, everyone can suit themselves at the end of the day...

At the end of the day I shall be missing this one, got the travel costs down to around 70 quid or so, but still a bit rich for a day on the p***, sorry I meant a day of cultural education.
Gutted :(

sheffield hatter
01-06-2018, 22:09
At the end of the day I shall be missing this one, got the travel costs down to around 70 quid or so, but still a bit rich for a day on the p***, sorry I meant a day of cultural education.
Gutted :(

Sorry to hear that, Mick.

Have you thought of moving to another part of the country?

Mobyduck
02-06-2018, 07:14
Sorry to hear that, Mick.

Have you thought of moving to another part of the country?

I think of winning the lottery, but realms of fantasy spring to mind. :rolleyes:
I'm sure you will all have a good day.

Bucking Fastard
04-06-2018, 11:54
With the crawl date fast approaching and reading back through this thread it seems the following have expressed an interest in joining in;

Dave M
Cider Drinker
Aqualung
sheffield hatter
Bucking Fastard
rpadam
AlanH
ROB Camra
Ms CAMRA
Gann
Soup Dragon
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
trainman

Are there any other runners and riders ? Have plans changed for those on the provisional list above ?

trainman
04-06-2018, 12:33
I have tickets, booked on the slower train (cheapskate) arriving 11:02.
Mind you, I had paid for tickets to Brighton and didn't make it...

Gann
04-06-2018, 14:57
With the crawl date fast approaching and reading back through this thread it seems the following have expressed an interest in joining in;
Dave M
Cider Drinker
Aqualung
sheffield hatter
Bucking Fastard
rpadam
AlanH
ROB Camra
Ms CAMRA
Gann
Soup Dragon
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale

Are there any other runners and riders ? Have plans changed for those on the provisional list above ?

Real time Facebook update has Spotty Dave M and Cider Drinker now in Corfu and waiting for a flight this evening back to Blighty...

ROBCamra
04-06-2018, 15:18

Dave M
Cider Drinker
Aqualung
sheffield hatter
Bucking Fastard
rpadam
AlanH
ROB Camra
Ms CAMRA
Gann
Soup Dragon
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale

Did oldboots not say he was OK for 15th June?

I'm sure he'll tell us if he is/isn't.

oldboots
04-06-2018, 15:29
Did oldboots not say he was OK for 15th June?

I was before but something has come up on the Saturday that I don't need a hangover for :mad: So no Friday drinking for me :mad::mad:

Aqualung
09-06-2018, 23:30
I have tickets, booked on the slower train (cheapskate) arriving 11:02.
Mind you, I had paid for tickets to Brighton and didn't make it...

That 08:46 to Crewe is an incredibly cheap and useful train, I've used it so many times for weekday trips out for the day and will continue to do so. I've noticed that in the winter at least that the 09:07 to Lime Street has been virtually empty and have got cheap advance tickets but they seem to keep changing things. I wonder why Virgin WC have suddenly been painting their trains in white? Shurely not a rebranding / marketing exercise to divert attention form the ECML issue.
if it is it's just too pathetic for words. In my experience Virgin WC are one of the few companies actually doing a reasonable job.

Aqualung
10-06-2018, 00:01
I'm definitely there and my current plan is to kick off with a VERY swift one in Mellards then down to the Lymestone Vaults, Joules pub and Wellers. After that it's the micropubby central four then up to the "Greyhound" area (either via a long hobble or by bus) and the micropub there and the Greyhound. Whether I make it to the Hopinn is in the lap of the gods and I was surprised to see that I had visited the Victoria but reading my review it all came flooding back, "What the copying and pasting from Trip Advisor?" I heard someone cry!.

I'm on the 19:44 back to Wolverhampton.

Soup Dragon
10-06-2018, 11:23
I'm definitely there and my current plan is to kick off with a VERY swift one in Mellards then down to the Lymestone Vaults, Joules pub and Wellers. After that it's the micropubby central four then up to the "Greyhound" area (either via a long hobble or by bus) and the micropub there and the Greyhound. Whether I make it to the Hopinn is in the lap of the gods and I was surprised to see that I had visited the Victoria but reading my review it all came flooding back, "What the copying and pasting from Trip Advisor?" I heard someone cry!.

I'm on the 19:44 back to Wolverhampton.

Hi Aqualung, what train are you catching up from Wolvo?

Aqualung
10-06-2018, 12:33
Hi Aqualung, what train are you catching up from Wolvo?

Hi, I've got an advance ticket on the 09:49 coach F seat 41A. I'm intending to go to the Spoons for breakfast first.

sheffield hatter
11-06-2018, 19:03

Dave M
Cider Drinker
Aqualung
sheffield hatter
Bucking Fastard
rpadam
AlanH
ROB Camra
Ms CAMRA
Gann
Soup Dragon
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
trainman

Hope they're back from Chicken Pox Quarantine (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27795-Poor-Dave&p=93430#post93430).

Dave M
12-06-2018, 11:15
Hope they're back from Chicken Pox Quarantine (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27795-Poor-Dave&p=93430#post93430).

Still planning to be there as long as I'm feeling up to it.

sheffield hatter
12-06-2018, 11:39

Well, that's a lot more hopeful than "No, I'm still in Greece"!

Hope you can make it.

Soup Dragon
12-06-2018, 11:47

As am I, be good to see you after these many years!

Dave M
12-06-2018, 12:11
Well, that's a lot more hopeful than "No, I'm still in Greece"!

Hope you can make it.

I'm pretty confident I'll be there.

As am I, be good to see you after these many years!

Yes it has been a while. Which was the last crawl you made it to? I'm struggling to remember.

Soup Dragon
12-06-2018, 12:48
I'm pretty confident I'll be there.

Yes it has been a while. Which was the last crawl you made it to? I'm struggling to remember.

Reading or Nottingham? it was a world ago

trainman
12-06-2018, 12:50
Well, I've just wasted 30 mins finally browsing the pubs... in Ashton-under-Lyne. D'oh!
Then picked up Will's list and wondered why none sounded familiar.

AlanH
12-06-2018, 12:56
https://www.beerdaybritain.co.uk/

Nice day to nip out for a pint or two! :drinkup::drinkup: :evilgrin:

sheffield hatter
12-06-2018, 13:39
Well, I've just wasted 30 mins finally browsing the pubs... in Ashton-under-Lyne. D'oh!
Then picked up Will's list and wondered why none sounded familiar.

More importantly, what train tickets have you bought?

sheffield hatter
12-06-2018, 13:56
...be good to see you after these many years!

Which was the last crawl you made it to? I'm struggling to remember.

Reading or Nottingham? it was a world ago

I've checked my notes for Worcester in March 2014 and Leeds in November 2013 - no sign of you there! So your last must have been Reading, which was July 2013 - five years ago. Sightings have become so rare that some people are even beginning to doubt whether there really is such a creature as a Soup Dragon. :)

trainman
12-06-2018, 17:01
More importantly, what train tickets have you bought?

Stoke. Evidently my 'under' confusions are only intermittent...

AlanH
12-06-2018, 23:49
Stoke. Evidently my 'under' confusions are only intermittent...

Would that be for Stoke-on-Tyne or Stoke-on-the-Wold?

rpadam
12-06-2018, 23:55
https://www.beerdaybritain.co.uk/

Crikey, does that mean I actually have to drink the stuff?

Real Ale Ray
13-06-2018, 15:05
What time are we meeting at on Friday?

sheffield hatter
13-06-2018, 16:30
What time are we meeting at on Friday?

Have you read the documents attached to my post #73 here (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27429-Summer-2018-crawl/page8)?

This is just a snippet, but it contains the essential information which I think you are after:

All town centre pubs should be open by 12 noon (though the Old Brown Jug was not when visited in April – though this may be low on most people's lists anyway).

The suggestion is that people make their own way
around the town centre rather than trying
to stick to some sort of timetable.

Rather than, as we usually do, meeting up at the start and going round as a group, this will result in potentially random meetings at different pubs at different times. (A later meeting place for the whole group is suggested below.)

So, very approximately, the running order might look something like this:

11:00 Arnold Machin (Wetherspoons)
11:30 Hogarths
12:00 Lymestone Vaults
12:20 Wellers
12:40 Old Bulls Head
13:00 Thirsty Giraffe/Ten Green Bottles (double header)
13:30 Hopwater Cellar/Bridge Street Alehouse (double header)
14:00 Old Brown Jug (wild card)
14:30 Mellards

Suggested meeting point at 14:30

Mellards is handy for the bus station, has a pleasant atmosphere and an outdoors area which may be a suitable place for group photos. It is suggested as a meeting place because there needs to be a decision made (or a number of decisions) as to which (if any) of the outliers people want to do.

Hope that helps. You might also want to read Aqualung's post at #74 and my response at #75.

Gann
13-06-2018, 17:46
Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, and unless Nev has a more cunning plan, I was intending to follow the above suggested route to Mellers starting from Hogarths..

trainman
13-06-2018, 19:44
Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, ..
Please don't tell me I have to start doing research - I thought the bus was ~10mins..?

sheffield hatter
13-06-2018, 19:54
Please don't tell me I have to start doing research - I thought the bus was ~10mins..?

OK, the 25 bus from opposite Stoke station goes every 20 mins (1107, 1127, etc) and takes about 23 minutes to get to Newcastle bus station (it goes to the hospital and around the estates).

Or you can walk to your right out of the station approach, right at the end, under the railway then over the river, left at the council buildings and right to pass the minster. At the end is Church St, look for Stop Q on the right, opposite side. When I did this in April my train got in at 1133 and I caught the 11 bus at 1142, so it's not far. The 11 bus goes at 20 minute intervals (1102, 1122, 1142 etc) and takes only nine minutes to get to Newcastle.

Dave M
13-06-2018, 20:50
I've taken a copy of the spreadsheet that Will produced (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27429-Summer-2018-crawl&p=93251&viewfull=1#post93251) with the 22 potential targets and created a map (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcrawl/newcastle-under-lyme.php) of them which some may find helpful.

Bear in mind the numbering is based one the order they are listed on the spreadsheet, not the order one might attempt to do them.

sheffield hatter
13-06-2018, 22:12
I've taken a copy of the spreadsheet that Will produced (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27429-Summer-2018-crawl&p=93251&viewfull=1#post93251) with the 22 potential targets and created a map (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcrawl/newcastle-under-lyme.php) of them which some may find helpful.

Bear in mind the numbering is based on the order they are listed on the spreadsheet, not the order one might attempt to do them.

That's fantastic!

Now if you could just combine that with the times of all the buses between and around Stoke on Trent, Newcastle under Lyme and - only if you have time - Etruria as well, that would be great! :notworthy:

Oh, just remembered: Ashton under Lyne as well, just in case.

(Sorry, can't find a "just kidding, pay no attention" emoji.)

trainman
13-06-2018, 23:00
OK, the 25 bus from opposite Stoke station goes every 20 mins (1107, 1127, etc) and takes about 23 minutes to get to Newcastle bus station (it goes to the hospital and around the estates).

Or you can walk to your right out of the station approach, right at the end, under the railway then over the river, left at the council buildings and right to pass the minster. At the end is Church St, look for Stop Q on the right, opposite side. When I did this in April my train got in at 1133 and I caught the 11 bus at 1142, so it's not far. The 11 bus goes at 20 minute intervals (1102, 1122, 1142 etc) and takes only nine minutes to get to Newcastle.
Nice, thanks. Above and beyond, as always Will...

trainman
13-06-2018, 23:01

Also above and beyond, thanks Dave!

AlanH
14-06-2018, 02:43

FREE RESEARCH:
They are!
The 10.47 No. 25 gets to N-u-L at 11.10
The 11.07 No 25 gets to N-U-L at 11.30

If thirsty, 9 min walk to stop Q
The 11.00 No. 1 gets to N-u-L at 11.09
The 11.02 No.11 gets to N-u-L at 11.11
The 11.20 No.1A gets to N-u-L at 11.29
The 11.22 No 11 gets to N-u-L at 11.31

The 10.48 train gets to Ashton-u-Lyne at 12.34 :evilgrin:the

Bucking Fastard
14-06-2018, 15:51
Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, and unless Nev has a more cunning plan, I was intending to follow the above suggested route to Mellers starting from Hogarths..

I was planning to walk over the A500 & canal and get a quick bus to NuL from stop Q,and then do just as you say by following the running order above ,starting at whichever pub is listed at the time of arrival and carrying on until the 2.30pm rendevous in Mellards.With potentially 10 town centre pubs to tick before the rendevous,that should keep me busy:bemerry:

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

trainman
14-06-2018, 18:52
I may take the slightly shorter walk to the Signal Radio stop, slightly NW of station from where the 164 runs hourly (at 20 past), 8 mins.
Stop Q looks good on the return though, if leaving time to tick the White Star and Glebe.

Soup Dragon
15-06-2018, 23:56
Really good to see you all after a few years away (even Ray).

sheffield hatter
16-06-2018, 11:06
Really good to see you all after a few years away (even Ray).

Yes, great to see you too - especially after what you've been through.

Others in attendance:

Dave M and Cider Drinker - sporting a beard and purple nails respectively
ROBCamra & Ms Camra - good to meet you at last
Aqualung - well done for suggesting Newcastle
Trainman - good to see you again after you had to miss Brighton
Alan H - that was a nasty gash you got tripping over that kerb; hope you're ok
Real Ale Ray and Mrs - ticking those micropubs off your list
Gann - thanks for listening
Bucking Fastard - glad you could make it
RPAdam - thanks for joining me off piste at the Holy Inadequate
...and me - I'm not the messiah

Some photos of participants (Aqualung somehow missing from these shots):

Aqualung
16-06-2018, 22:56
Despite suffering from Sarah Hughes blues from the day before, I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with the gang in NUL which I was told in no uncertain terms is not part of Stoke!
I had to leave the Lymestone Vaults as I was finding it impossible to keep a straight face with people looking but not approaching me in case I turned out to be Big Effing Dave from Viz. In the end it was BF's interrogation that elicited the confession in the next pub Wellers.
I wished I had achieved more than just a cursory conversation with just about everyone apart from Soup Dragon, Real Ale Ray and Mrs Ale. I was astonished how young Soup Dragon is and how tall BF is. Real Ale Ray was no surprise at all, a real scouser (Liverpool is my favourite English city). I never got the chance to tell the story of how I used to get called a Scouse Git by an old Irish Arsenal supporter back in the 1980s.
Mrs Ale epitomised everything good about Ireland.

Despite Soup Dragon repeatedly saying "I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own", it turned out that it was a backlog of reviews plus the Holyhead dross that made him give up. Holyhead could have broken me only I knew there were pints of Moonraker to be had after the ordeal was over.

When the WCML Virgin advance tickets sort themselves out I will defo have a weekday visit to try the Holy Inadequate and I'd also like to go there again on a Saturday to give Freebird a try plus revisits.

Gann
17-06-2018, 09:44
Yes great day was had. Not sure who first suggested NUL (Aqualung?) but congrats to whoever it was. In the words of that long forgotten TV add strap line , I never knew there was so much in it.

And once again big congrats to Will for the plan. I know you don’t want the mantle but you will always be the messiah to us who don’t want to think on the day. But you will be pleased to know that a group of us did show initiative to visit the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House and had much better visits than your inaugural ones.

And I hope Nev managed to wake up at Hereford North. It was tempting to leave you in deep sleep at Euston but had to repay the complement from the Stockport trip.

All in all a great day and can’t wait for the next one..

Aqualung
17-06-2018, 10:02
Going off topic, who spotted the licence application by Titanic brewery on the door of the old First Class Lounge at Stoke station?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/titanic-brewery-set-open-craft-1169939

sheffield hatter
17-06-2018, 10:49
And I hope Nev managed to wake up at Hereford North.

... a bit of a shock to him if he did, assuming he was heading for Hertford.

trainman
17-06-2018, 12:23
A fine day with, as Will predicted, a criss-crossing of groups around the pubs and, as Ian predicted, tm ending up very 'nicely,' as Wakefield Andy would say. Well, it's kind of what we're there for!
Sorry Nev and Gann, wasn't avoiding you on train just flopped in a seat and kipped - I, too, had to be woken at Euston - must have had some cheese in my ears Ray. Nev, I'm conscious I owe you for taxi...
Hope everyone got home ok and didn't succumb to the 'monkeydust' which I heard is rife and problematic in the area. Maybe could have done with some yesterday which was very low key, letting the London team down.
Those who missed the Holy Inadequate need to try to make the short journey out if ever in the area again - my potd.

Cheers all, j

Bucking Fastard
17-06-2018, 15:42
... a bit of a shock to him if he did, assuming he was heading for Hertford.

Folk do mix up Hertford and Hereford,but thankfully I weaved home succesfully after the timely wake up call at Euston.Great to meet up again with the usual suspects ,pleased to finally catch up with Aqualung and welcome back Soupy !19 pubs on the day is as close as I will get to the full Winfield,and many thanks Will for the research ,suggestions and pub information.Amazed and delighted that a cab fare works out much cheaper than the local buses,although hats off to Gann for walking back to Stoke station from Hartshill,sensibly avoiding more beers in the White Star and Glebe.;)

See you all oop north later in the year.

Tris39
17-06-2018, 15:44
Ouch.

Took my eye off the ball and thought this crawl was next month. I expect it must have been fun as always!

aleandhearty
18-06-2018, 15:27
...tm ending up very 'nicely,' as Wakefield Andy would say.

Pretty much a given! Always an indicator of how successful the day has been. :)

Gann
18-06-2018, 16:51
Some photos of participants (Aqualung somehow missing from these shots):

Here's one with the missing gentleman, taken in Wellers...

sheffield hatter
18-06-2018, 23:34

And a couple of others, from the Greyhound:

Real Ale Ray
21-06-2018, 19:09
Just to say we really enjoyed last Friday, a great meet up, as always!

Great to see Soupy again, and newbies Aqualung and Maria. We bailed out just before the Sanctuary as we nabbed a taxi back to Stafford station, where we met Aqualung - hope I didn't bore you too much on the train - as I was talking in tongues and Mrs Ale was snoozing...looking forward to the next one :cheers:

Quinno
22-06-2018, 11:43
Ahhh I'm gutted to have missed out, but unfortunately things have been hectic here for various reasons. Hopefully I'm coming out the other side now, so should catch you on the Northern crawl :)

Real Ale Ray
24-06-2018, 14:20
Taken in Cask

bcfczuluarmy
24-06-2018, 19:47
Aqualung is doing a poor job of hiding...

Mobyduck
24-06-2018, 21:43
Aqualung is doing a poor job of hiding...

Too late , sussed him, not sure whats going on with Rays barnet? :D

Real Ale Ray
25-06-2018, 19:30
Too late , sussed him, not sure whats going on with Rays barnet? :D

That's my new toupee I glued on specially for the meet up and it's Bill Bailey hiding behind his notes...

Aqualung
25-06-2018, 21:41
That's my new toupee I glued on specially for the meet up and it's Bill Bailey hiding behind his notes...

If that's a syrup then I'm Bill Bailey!

Mobyduck
25-06-2018, 22:32
If that's a syrup then I'm Bill Bailey!

:D

ROBCamra
27-06-2018, 15:48
Despite suffering from Sarah Hughes blues from the day before, I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with the gang in NUL which I was told in no uncertain terms is not part of Stoke!
I had to leave the Lymestone Vaults as I was finding it impossible to keep a straight face with people looking but not approaching me in case I turned out to be Big Effing Dave from Viz. In the end it was BF's interrogation that elicited the confession in the next pub Wellers.
I wished I had achieved more than just a cursory conversation with just about everyone apart from Soup Dragon, Real Ale Ray and Mrs Ale. I was astonished how young Soup Dragon is and how tall BF is. Real Ale Ray was no surprise at all, a real scouser (Liverpool is my favourite English city). I never got the chance to tell the story of how I used to get called a Scouse Git by an old Irish Arsenal supporter back in the 1980s.
Mrs Ale epitomised everything good about Ireland.

Despite Soup Dragon repeatedly saying "I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own", it turned out that it was a backlog of reviews plus the Holyhead dross that made him give up. Holyhead could have broken me only I knew there were pints of Moonraker to be had after the ordeal was over.

When the WCML Virgin advance tickets sort themselves out I will defo have a weekday visit to try the Holy Inadequate and I'd also like to go there again on a Saturday to give Freebird a try plus revisits.

A bit late on parade having been in Ciutadella since the Sunday after the crawl.

Good to meet everyone again and very pleased with the choice of venue. We may well go back and visit again.

Good to see Aqualung for the first time.

Sorry I didn't look like you were expecting Aqua ;)

Tris39
27-06-2018, 17:26

Jealous of those prices! Like here, but ten years ago. The £5.00-a-pint minimum is fast approaching...:confused:

AlanH
28-06-2018, 15:21
19 pubs on the day is as close as I will get to the full Winfield

It will be very hard to achieve a "true" Full Winfield as they contain at least 5 or 6 Flat Roofed Estate Pubs selling Jack Smugs smooth crap!

There is only one Alan Winfield. Cheers! Al. :cheers: :notworthy: :notworthy: