PDA

View Full Version : Dark Star Brewery

hondo
20-02-2018, 11:32
"has today been taken over by "

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16034811.Sussex_craft_brewer_is_bought_up_by_natio nal_chain/

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/02/20/Fuller-s-announces-Dark-Star-take-over

trainman
20-02-2018, 11:37
Sounds disastrous but, if they leave the brewing alone, the addition of Dark Star to Fullers outlets would be most welcome.

Wittenden
20-02-2018, 14:44
I've always rated Fuller, Smith and Turner,apart from the closure of Gale's, but I don't know the underlying history of that. At least, they didn't sell to a multinational mega keggery.

Mobyduck
20-02-2018, 16:29
Can't say I'm happy about this.

Mobyduck
20-02-2018, 16:36
I think Hophead has suffered quality wise in the last couple of years possibly due to increasing production, now with Fullers involved production could double, I can only see quality suffering further.

NickDavies
20-02-2018, 17:19
Sounds disastrous but, if they leave the brewing alone, the addition of Dark Star to Fullers outlets would be most welcome.

It will come at a price. You can be sure Fullers will want to make their money back.

london calling
20-02-2018, 20:16
That's good news.Might get a pint of London Pride in the Evening Star to kick start our pub crawl.

PaulOfHorsham
20-02-2018, 21:24
The pubs have a different ownership structure, which will be unaffected by the brewery takeover.

A few years ago, there were consistency problems with Hophead, but the current head brewer made it his priority to deal with that. I'm not aware that this has not been fixed?

I think that it's Hophead itself that Fullers are most keen to get their hands on (it's been suggested elsewhere that they've been able to see just how much of the stuff The Harp gets through).

Dark Star are promising us even more small batch brews this year; I'm sure you can expect to see these at The Harp and some of the other favoured Fullers pubs. I hope that won't restrict these specials in the current free trade and Dark Star pubs.

Aqualung
20-02-2018, 21:42
I can only look upon it as a total bloody disaster.

rpadam
20-02-2018, 22:46
I can only look upon it as a total bloody disaster.
Would you really be happier with AB InBev, Molson Coors, Heineken, Carlsberg, etc?

Aqualung
21-02-2018, 07:03
Would you really be happier with AB InBev, Molson Coors, Heineken, Carlsberg, etc?

No, but I would prefer they remained independent.

Mobyduck
21-02-2018, 19:32
No, but I would prefer they remained independent.

I'm with you Aqua.

Mobyduck
21-02-2018, 19:41
A few years ago, there were consistency problems with Hophead, but the current head brewer made it his priority to deal with that. I'm not aware that this has not been fixed?

I think that it's Hophead itself that Fullers are most keen to get their hands on (it's been suggested elsewhere that they've been able to see just how much of the stuff The Harp gets through).

Dark Star are promising us even more small batch brews this year; I'm sure you can expect to see these at The Harp and some of the other favoured Fullers pubs. I hope that won't restrict these specials in the current free trade and Dark Star pubs.
We can only hope.

Quinno
21-02-2018, 21:02
I guess we'll see how much of the Dark Star range and specials are being regularly brewed in 2023 - my guess is that there will be fewer.

oldboots
22-02-2018, 10:19
I guess we'll see how much of the Dark Star range and specials are being regularly brewed in 2023 - my guess is that there will be fewer.

You wont lose that bet, we know exactly what will happen as we have the example of Gales, so that's just a dumbed down version of Hophead being brewed in Chiswick and the brewery, in leafy Sussex of course, sold for housing. You might see the odd special badged as Dark Star.

No mysteries, no surprises.

london calling
22-02-2018, 19:19
It was not a hostile takeover the Dark Star owners wanted to cash in and Fullers are a perfect fit.Fullers will not dumb down or change any beers as they know they will sell well in Fullers pubs.Fullers know they need a bigger range of beers in their pubs and now they will less rely on guest beers.

Aqualung
22-02-2018, 22:24
It was not a hostile takeover the Dark Star owners wanted to cash in and Fullers are a perfect fit.Fullers will not dumb down or change any beers as they know they will sell well in Fullers pubs.Fullers know they need a bigger range of beers in their pubs and now they will less rely on guest beers.

Neither was Gales, King and Barnes or Ridleys. the only difference here is that the brewery owner rather than the shareholders are lining their pockets. I don't trust Fullers any more than GK or Marston let alone the Global Abominations. Dumbing down Fullers beers is a silly concept as people that drink their beers are already dumb to pay the prices they charge in their pubs but mysteriously not in supermarkets where they are priced the same as all the other stuff.

hondo
04-09-2018, 09:25
"Sussex brewery Dark Star has confirmed that some of its"
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/08/31/Dark-Star-shifts-some-Hophead-production-to-Fuller-s-Brewery

Aqualung
04-09-2018, 21:32
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/08/31/Dark-Star-shifts-some-Hophead-production-to-Fuller-s-Brewery

I went to the Partridge on Saturday and Dark Star no longer run it. An updated review will appear soon. I don't trust Fullers and I can see Dark Star being flushed down the toilet.

Quinno
04-09-2018, 21:53

Hophead might not be across the whole Fullers estate yet (so says the article) but it was certainly in https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22408/ last night and I'll lay a fair bet I was drinking the Chiswick batch. That said, it was still a very good brew.

london calling
05-09-2018, 18:57
I went to the Partridge on Saturday and Dark Star no longer run it. An updated review will appear soon. I don't trust Fullers and I can see Dark Star being flushed down the toilet.

Its not owned by Fullers but they do now own the Dark Star name and the original directors said they will keep the pubs but I imagine they have had to set up a new company as they cant trade under the Dark Star name.

london calling
05-09-2018, 19:02
Its been on in the 7 or 8 Fullers pubs I have been in recently.Two pumps with it on at the Harp on Monday.I had a pint in the Express Brentford recently and it was a bit dull then two superb bottles on Saturday night bought from Fullers brewery.It has imo always been a variable beer.Sometimes great other times only ok.

Aqualung
05-09-2018, 20:01
Its not owned by Fullers but they do now own the Dark Star name and the original directors said they will keep the pubs but I imagine they have had to set up a new company as they cant trade under the Dark Star name.

I don't think Fuller4s own it either. I suspect it's gone back to the pubco who own it. There was no change to the Horsham Anchor Tap which I assume they own or lease from a company that's not a pubco.