PDA

View Full Version : Info On Uttoxeter Races And Pubs ???

sirtom
20-02-2008, 01:17
Hi, new to this so pls be patient.. im just tryin to get some info on uttox races and local pubs,, we are going on a stag do, sat may 3rd, around 30 of us ranging from 20yr old to 60+..
we did this around 1999, but cant remem much really,,
how far apart is the course and town centre ? many pubs ? much happening ?
i do remem the lads saying it was quiet and pubs closed in the afternoon but thought id look for an update..
Please post anything relevant thanks..(sirtom789@hotmail.com)

Conrad
20-02-2008, 19:15
Hi sirtom,

I am afraid I don't know Uttoxeter at all but in terms of the area you can search our site on Uttoxeter Racecourse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=uttoxeter+racecourse) or Uttoxeter (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=uttoxeter) and follow the Google map links, they look fairly close together but it is hard to tell where the course is. Hopefully someone will come in and tell you more about the pubs there, sadly it doesn't look like a place that any of our regulars have been to though.

Conrad

johnny b
24-02-2008, 16:03
About 2 miles from course to town, its got a few pubs but no night club, its a quiet town.

John

www.boatsandcanals.co.uk

sassysaz
08-08-2009, 22:52
Hello everyone, im new on here but i really need some help.
My nan used 2 run the Black Swan in Utoxeter among many other pubs.
If anybody has access to any backdated photos or files from archives on Elizabeth "Betty" Pope and Thomas Pope, please let me know xxx

Galore Admin
10-08-2009, 15:26
Hi sassysaz,

Not sure if you have already found it, but we have a couple of fairly recent pictures of the Black Swan Uttoxeter (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/34686/). I am guessing you are after something older though. Hopefully one of the members will come through for you, it is worth leaving a review on the pub asking the question as well, some of the members have got some results from that.

Good luck,

Conrad

Soup Dragon
06-09-2009, 22:39
Hello everyone, im new on here but i really need some help.
My nan used 2 run the Black Swan in Utoxeter among many other pubs.
If anybody has access to any backdated photos or files from archives on Elizabeth "Betty" Pope and Thomas Pope, please let me know xxx

There are lots of potential places for you to look for information on the pubs and publicans, as well as photographic material.

Archival material (i am not sure of what period you are talking) would be housed at the Staffordshire Record Office, or with the Magistrate Courts, but the best place to contact would be the record office and see what they have that is open to the public. Also try the William Salt Library next door - they are the local history side of the Staffs Archive service (for Trade Directories, if relevant)

Photos - well, start with the pub itself (may have a few pics on the walls, lot of pubs do - not that i go in many:D) and the brewery that owns it. Try the local newspaper either for an appeal, or they may have their own archive. The Library in Uttoxeter may know of any special collections of photos, or sale catalogues that may have a picture within it. The Council's collections are held by the Museum Service, based at Shugborough, if i remember rightly, so try them. The staffs University also has a film archive, so drop them an email as well, just in case.

That is a very brief overview of where i would start, hope it helps.:)