PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 4th February 2018)

ROBCamra
05-02-2018, 12:04
Real Ale Ray: Vocation Heart & Soul
Wittenden: Goacher's 1066 Old Ale
Mobyduck: Titanic Cappuccino Stout
Aqualung: Thornbridge Crackendale
Bucking Fastard: Tring India Stout
aleandhearty: Burning Sky Aurora
Thuck Phat: Salopian Golden Thread
Komakino: Fisher's Red Ale
ROBCamra: Wiper And True Doves And Ravens

Real Ale Ray
05-02-2018, 17:37
Vocation - Heart & Soul

Wittenden
05-02-2018, 19:17
Kent:better week.
Larkin's-Traditional 3.4%abv.Probably the best Trad I've had in ages.
Goacher's -Special House Beer 3.8%abv.Full of earthy Tovil goodness.
Goacher's-1066 Old Ale 6.7%abv. My first meeting with this legendary Old Ale.Unctuous,raisins and tart plums:Granny's dark old sherry.
Kent-Prohibition 4.8%abv. Pale, though for some reason I think of this as a dark 'un.Keenly floral.
Whitstable-Oyster Stout 4.5%abv.Black roasty stout.Probably first out of the day.Fulfilling.
Old Dairy-Blue Top 4.8% abv.Oatstraw:spicy,biscuity.Good pint of Blue.

My BOTW-Goacher's 1066 Old Ale

Mobyduck
05-02-2018, 21:34
Animal Hop Cat
Oakham Citra
Surrey Hills Ranmore
Purity Pure Gold
TT Landlord
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Springhead Outlawed
Titanic Cappuccino Stout

Without a doubt its the stout, BOTW Titanic Cappuccino Stout closely followed by the Springhead Outlawed, both enjoyed in the excellent Alfred Freehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/).

Aqualung
05-02-2018, 21:44
Not many great beers in this list :-

Springhead Exodus 3.7%
Marston's Pedigree 4.5%
Fuller's Damson Porter 4.6%
Burton Bridge Burton Ale 4.8%
Froth Blowers Riverside Stout 4.8%
Nene Valley Hop Stash Simcoe 5.0%
Greene King Abbot 5.0%
Stancill Black Gold 5.0%
Millstone True Grit 5.0%
Anarchy Urban Assault 5.0%
Holden's Special 5.1%
Thornbridge Crackendale 5.2%

The easy winner is the Thornbridge Crackendale as tried for £3.20 in the Wolverhampton Great Western. It's a pale hoppy ale (what else?) and very drinkable.
Burton Bridge seem to have made a good job of recreating the old Ind Coope Burton Ale, maybe GK should think about that!
The Millstone True Grit was as good as ever.

BOTW Thornbridge Crackendale

Bucking Fastard
06-02-2018, 11:20
A poor week by any standard.

Adnam's -- Broadside
Fuller's -- London Pride
Tring -- India Stout *,BOTW from The Old Cross Tavern. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55450/)Tring continue to impress me,this was a fine 6% stout,with hints of sweetness ,coffee and chocolate but not difficult to down and a good example of the style.

Next week back in Banbury and surrounding villages so should be a longer list.

trainman
06-02-2018, 11:24
The Millstone True Grit was as good as ever.

[/B]
I loved this in Ye Olde Vic quite some time ago, but have not seen many Millstone beers around anywhere.

aleandhearty
06-02-2018, 11:35
Average sort of week. A couple of beers to quicken the pulse, but over all fairly ho-hum.

Great Heck - Voodoo Mild.
Fernandes - Hophead Pixie.
Fernandes - Jackdaw Mild.
Waen - Lemon Drizzle.
Hilltop - Bitter.
Rat - White Rat.
Rat - Mother Rat.
Empire - Moonrakers MILD.*
Tigertops - Union Pacific.
Burning Sky - Aurora.*
Coniston - Special Oatmeal Stout.
North Riding - Citra Pale.
Dark Star - APA.
Stod Fold - Dry January.

Not much in it between Aurora and the Moonrakers, but I'll give it to the former as I've not nominated it before.

aleandhearty
06-02-2018, 12:10
...but have not seen many Millstone beers around anywhere.

Rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods, even though I live only twenty five miles away, as the crow flies, from the brewery. Last time I had a Millstone beer (Tiger Rut) was 2014 and that was in Sowerby Bridge. I mention that to highlight the fact that their distribution radius seems very tight to the brewery. (OK, Jim. I plead guilty. It does sound like Real Ale Twat-ishness :) I believe the landlord's name was Colin...)

Bucking Fastard
06-02-2018, 15:32
I loved this in Ye Olde Vic quite some time ago, but have not seen many Millstone beers around anywhere.

There always seems to be a Millstone beer on the the Station Buffet,Stalybridge on the rare occasions I'm in there,if that's any help.

trainman
06-02-2018, 17:33
There always seems to be a Millstone beer on the the Station Buffet,Stalybridge on the rare occasions I'm in there,if that's any help.
Still unticked by me, despite being on my list for a long time before racket and clacket visited and left the route rather less enticing, esp on a Saturday. I'll get there one day...

Thuck Phat
07-02-2018, 09:56
BOTW Salopian Golden Thread

Komakino
07-02-2018, 22:23
Fisher's Red Ale

Aqualung
08-02-2018, 22:01
It was on in the Great Western (where else?). I hadn't seen it there for probably a few years.

ROBCamra
18-02-2018, 12:03
It was on in the Great Western (where else?). I hadn't seen it there for probably a few years.

I can get Millstone beers for The Baum whenever I want. They're a floor stocked brewery at Brewers Wholesale. :cheers:

ROBCamra
18-02-2018, 12:06
Wiper And True Doves And Ravens. A 3.8% amber ale, unusual for this brewery who tend to do pale ales and stouts/porters.

Tried in The Baum. :cheers:

trainman
18-02-2018, 14:22
I can get Millstone beers for The Baum whenever I want. They're a floor stocked brewery at Brewers Wholesale. :cheers:
Well, you're ok then! Jack...