PDA

View Full Version : Off Licences

Aqualung
31-01-2018, 21:25
I've noticed that two off licences have been added to the site in the last year Cotteridge Wines (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85190/) and the Northern Beer Temple (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85294/). I know of Cotteridge Wines as it has a connection with Brodies. and it is definitely an off licence. The Northern Beer Temple has been marked as a micropub but looking at What Pub it clearly isn't as there are no drinks served for consumption on the premises. Is the site now including off licences as well as all the chain restaurants, cocktail bars and night clubs etc etc? If it is I'll add the two convenience stores at the top of my road along with all the major supermarket branches. Actually I won't be doing that as I've got better things to do, but it does emphasise the point.

NickDavies
31-01-2018, 22:20
Well there's a couple of old boys like to sit outside our local Tescos enjoying a tin or nine of Electric Soup if the weather's nice. Does that count?

rpadam
31-01-2018, 22:36
I've noticed that two off licences have been added to the site in the last year Cotteridge Wines (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85190/) and the Northern Beer Temple (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85294/). I know of Cotteridge Wines as it has a connection with Brodies. and it is definitely an off licence. The Northern Beer Temple has been marked as a micropub but looking at What Pub it clearly isn't as there are no drinks served for consumption on the premises. Is the site now including off licences as well as all the chain restaurants, cocktail bars and night clubs etc etc? If it is I'll add the two convenience stores at the top of my road along with all the major supermarket branches. Actually I won't be doing that as I've got better things to do, but it does emphasise the point.
Don't know about the Northern Beer Temple, but Cotteridge Wines has a tap room for on-sales (despite what What?ub says) and this is why I added it to the site.

Aqualung
31-01-2018, 22:44
Don't know about the Northern Beer Temple, but Cotteridge Wines has a tap room for on-sales (despite what What?ub says) and this is why I added it to the site.

That's fine then!

ROBCamra
01-02-2018, 06:52
Comments on Facebook suggest that Northern Beer Temple has a tasting room at the rear.

WhatPub could well be wrong again!

london calling
01-02-2018, 20:37
They are now called Bottle Shops rather than Offies.

london calling
01-02-2018, 20:43
Offies oops sorry bottle shops are popping up all over London but not all have a licence to drink on premises.There is one in Kingston called 5000 Beers (they only have about a 100 who can only sell you 100mm tasters 4 for £4.50 but have heard that they are now selling larger measures if you buy a plate of cheese.I have not added it to this site.

Aqualung
01-02-2018, 21:27
They are now called Bottle Shops rather than Offies.

Is that another American import? Ggggrrrrrrrr!!!!

NickDavies
01-02-2018, 21:42
Is that another American import? Ggggrrrrrrrr!!!!

More likely Australian. Tends to be "liquor store" in the US.

bcfczuluarmy
01-02-2018, 21:47
Cotteridge Wines didn't have a tap room when I used to buy beer underage from there years ago.

rpadam
01-02-2018, 21:53
Cotteridge Wines didn't have a tap room when I used to buy beer underage from there years ago.
But it does now...

Aqualung
01-02-2018, 21:54
Offies oops sorry bottle shops are popping up all over London but not all have a licence to drink on premises.There is one in Kingston called 5000 Beers (they only have about a 100 who can only sell you 100mm tasters 4 for £4.50 but have heard that they are now selling larger measures if you buy a plate of cheese.I have not added it to this site.

I can think of three of these places in my manor.
400ml is only just over 2/3 of a pint which makes it a rip off in my book unless they are way ahead of the Park Bench Duty limit. This is something that needs to be discussed for the site and my opinion is that an off licence that doesn't allow on sale consumption of all their products remains an off licence and should not be eligible for the site. Many micropubs do varying stocks of bottles but I don't recall going to any where some can't be consumed on the premises. Having to buy a plate of cheese makes it a restaurant or café.
When I last went to the Rising Sun in Berkhampsted the landlord had the right hump about the Red Squirrel taps because he reckoned they were only paying shop rates rather than pub rates as they claimed to be just "tasting rooms".

Aqualung
01-02-2018, 22:06

Those Antipodeans have some nerve, they come over here, work in our pubs, even open a rubbish chain called Walkabout, thrash us at Test Cricket & Rugby and then expect us to call our off licences bottle shops!!! Quite frankly it makes my blood boil.

london calling
02-02-2018, 21:02
Those Antipodeans have some nerve, they come over here, work in our pubs, even open a rubbish chain called Walkabout, thrash us at Test Cricket & Rugby and then expect us to call our off licences bottle shops!!! Quite frankly it makes my blood boil.
Nice one.

london calling
02-02-2018, 21:09
I can think of three of these places in my manor.
400ml is only just over 2/3 of a pint which makes it a rip off in my book unless they are way ahead of the Park Bench Duty limit. This is something that needs to be discussed for the site and my opinion is that an off licence that doesn't allow on sale consumption of all their products remains an off licence and should not be eligible for the site. Many micropubs do varying stocks of bottles but I don't recall going to any where some can't be consumed on the premises. Having to buy a plate of cheese makes it a restaurant or café.
When I last went to the Rising Sun in Berkhampsted the landlord had the right hump about the Red Squirrel taps because he reckoned they were only paying shop rates rather than pub rates as they claimed to be just "tasting rooms".
This Taprooms for brewers is getting so popular in London that they are taking millions of pounds a year that would have gone to pubs.I think there will be a backlash against them like there is in America where the bars are stopping selling beers from local brewers as they are competing with the brewers Taproom.

Aqualung
02-02-2018, 22:33
This Taprooms for brewers is getting so popular in London that they are taking millions of pounds a year that would have gone to pubs.I think there will be a backlash against them like there is in America where the bars are stopping selling beers from local brewers as they are competing with the brewers Taproom.
Going out of Mr Angry mode, I've only once seen a Wild Card beer in a local pub where it was virtually undrinkable and a total rip off. I came across what you're saying when I went to the Bald Buzzard in Leighton Buzzard and the owner told me that they don't bother with Leighton Buzzard beers any more since they opened a tap room. Surely most of them are only open at weekends?

Farway
03-02-2018, 13:15

I first heard of "bottle shops" in South Africa, this would be mid 1960s

Seems south of equator / colonial term then

london calling
03-02-2018, 20:31
Going out of Mr Angry mode, I've only once seen a Wild Card beer in a local pub where it was virtually undrinkable and a total rip off. I came across what you're saying when I went to the Bald Buzzard in Leighton Buzzard and the owner told me that they don't bother with Leighton Buzzard beers any more since they opened a tap room. Surely most of them are only open at weekends?
They are a bit like Micropubs with erratic hrs but Brick brewery open 6 days a week-Mondo 5 days -London beer lab 5 days .Might depend on which borough you are in.

london calling
03-02-2018, 20:37
I have always thought it was a British term.In America they are allowed to sell draught beer to take away but the container is called a growler. That name has not really caught on in Britain as much as the shops try.Bottle Shops refer to taking draught beer away in a bottle rather than buying a bottle from the Offie.I could possibly be taking utter bollocks but that my theory and i am sticking to it.

bcfczuluarmy
03-02-2018, 21:48
It's an Outdoor in Brum.

Aqualung
03-02-2018, 21:51
I have always thought it was a British term.In America they are allowed to sell draught beer to take away but the container is called a growler. That name has not really caught on in Britain as much as the shops try.Bottle Shops refer to taking draught beer away in a bottle rather than buying a bottle from the Offie.I could possibly be taking utter bollocks but that my theory and i am sticking to it.

The term Growler is in use over here but not extensively. There is a Tap and Growler micropub in the Eastwood area of Nottingham.

london calling
03-02-2018, 22:59
It's an Outdoor in Brum.

Its a carry oot in Scotland.

oldboots
04-02-2018, 07:50
The term Growler is in use over here but not extensively. There is a Tap and Growler micropub in the Eastwood area of Nottingham.

This pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55786/) used to do them when it first opened and made a big thing of it but it seems to have gone the way of all flesh. Brass Castle brewery tap offer "Crowlers" which is a tin the draught beer of your choice escapade, see here (https://brasscastle.co.uk/boxes-crowler-beers/).

trainman
04-02-2018, 09:33
There was an extraordinary beer-canning machine here Cardigan Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42639/) where you can buy a 2-pint carry out which they pull into a lidless can then seal a ring-pull lid onto it on a large machine on one corner of the bar. We had to buy two to get the second on video! (I don't have it, sorry). We opened one can on the train home and, tbh, it didn't seem anything like 2 pints to me.

london calling
04-02-2018, 19:33
The one in Kingston I mentioned is called not 5000 Beers but 7000 Jars still only about 100 beers and no jars .