PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Year 2017

Wittenden
07-01-2018, 20:06
Before 2017 fades into just a particularly unpleasant memory,I thought I'd throw in a few of the year's highlights. Mainly from Kent and East Sussex,with a couple from 'out of the sheers'.

Kent-Session PA
Dark Star-Green Hopped IPA (2016)
Goacher's- Crown Imperial Stout
Half Moon -F'hops sake
Stotfold -Dark

Mobyduck
07-01-2018, 21:11
Favourite beer from 2017 was 1557.

Aqualung
07-01-2018, 23:42
I'll go for Kelham Island Mind Control but I'd rather list breweries tried this year that continue to impress. Top of the tree must be Salopian with loads of pale or golden hoppy ales of various strengths. Then there's Kelham Island, Thornbridge, Oakham, Redwillow, Kent, Peerless, Blue Monkey, Tiny Rebel, Allendale (their Thunderstruck would be second choice to Mind Control), Fixed Wheel, Kinver, Arbor, Bristol Beer Factory, Dark Star, Franklins plus others I've probably forgotten about. Of the old regional brewers I would rate (in this order) Adnams. Holden's, Batham's, Sarah Hughes, Titanic, Castle Rock, Harveys, St Austell for their bottled Proper beers, Everards, Palmers who I rediscovered this year and found them much improved and Holts if they removed the TV screens from their pubs. I know some of these aren't strictly old regionals but I regard them as Old School so it's easier to include them here.

Bucking Fastard
08-01-2018, 18:02
This is where CAMRA Beer Scoring comes in useful to jog the well soaked grey matter.:o

BOTY goes to Marble Dobber revived at a higher ABV ,sublime.

Special mention to the following giving a top 5 for 2017

Burning Sky -- Aurora
Titanic --Plum Porter
Blue Monkey -- Ape Ale
Ilkley -- Crossroads IPA

The hunt goes on in 2018......

aleandhearty
16-01-2018, 13:18
Have to agree with BF, it's hard to recall some of the really good beers tasted throughout the year. However, my top five are:

Abbeydale - Voyager IPA (the Mosaic, Centennial and Citra version).
James & Kirkman - Empress of India.
Salopian - Oracle.
Brown Cow - Captain Oates Dark Mild.
Great Heck - Amish Mash.

If pushed to pick just one, I'd go for the Empress. A 6% IPA, aged in 40yr old whisky casks. As I wrote back in June 'a big beer with a lovely layer of complexity from the whisky notes'.

My top five breweries:

North Riding.
Fernandes.
Ilkley.
Saltaire.
Exit 33.

One to watch - Bad Seed.

Wittenden
16-01-2018, 14:21
Have to agree with BF, it's hard to recall some of the really good beers tasted throughout the year. However, my top five are:

One to watch - Bad Seed.

Tried and enjoyed their Summer Ale back in 2016.Also,I've got a soft spot for Brown Cow.