PDA

View Full Version : New pub visits 2018

Delboy20
01-01-2018, 07:46
Here we go again.

Good luck to all with their targets / challenges. I will stick to same as usual - 200 new pubs.

Bucking Fastard
01-01-2018, 09:09
I will be pleased to get to 150,but if I push myself and got to 180,that would mean hitting a 1800 review total.

For 2018 I have extended my boat licence to include the Environment Agency waterways which means new pub visits all the way on the Upper Thames from Oxford to Lechlade and then lots more unvisited and/or unreviewed pubs on the Nene,Fens and on the Great Ouse down to Bedford.Throw in a few PuG crawls,and 150 seems quite plausible.Not only ticking off pubs but also some extremities of the inland waterway network.:cheers:

Aqualung
01-01-2018, 16:43
For 2018 I have extended my boat licence to include the Environment Agency waterways:

Being a total landlubber I don't really get this so would you like to elaborate?

Aqualung
01-01-2018, 16:57
I don't really bother too much with this thread but I'm using it to note that I started the year on 1802 reviews. Not all pubs I review on here are new but most are so at least I'll have some sort of figure. Having visited most JDWs I'm expecting to be in the Slow Lane this year but would like to reach 2000 reviews. Now that Southern Railway have reinstated advance tickets I'd like to get to the Harvey's pubs I've not yet been to and the Black Country Ales ones. Another target will be micropubs which finally now seem to be expanding as quickly as I thought they might. I'll take the dodgy opening hours on the chin!

Bucking Fastard
02-01-2018, 08:23
Being a total landlubber I don't really get this so would you like to elaborate?

I have a licence for the Canal & River Trust waterways,which cover around 2,000 miles of the inland waterway network.However CRT are not the only navigation authority ,and the Environment Agency manage several river navigations totalling 650 miles (such as The Thames,Medway,Nene,Great Ouse) and you have to puchase a seperate navigation certificate from them for these rivers.EA short term visitor permits are good for visits of a few days,but I have paid for a "Gold Licence" which covers both CRT and EA waterways for the whole of 2018 and intend to get my monies worth !

There are a miriad of other navigation authorities in the UK some charging fees (River Wey ,National Trust),(Basingstoke Canal,Surrey & Hampshire County Councils),(River Cam Conservators in Cambridge)(Broads Authority) while other navigation authorities dont charge anything for leisure craft (Tidal Thames below Teddington,PLA) ,(Tidal Trent below Gainsborough ,AB Ports ),(Middle Level Commissioners),(Witham Navigable Drains ).

There are plans for CRT to absorb the EA navigations ,this should happen in this parliament but the question of what existing licences will cover once the waterways have been combined has yet to be consulted upon.

This is a rather dry subject,hope I've cast some light on it.

Aqualung
02-01-2018, 16:51
I have a licence for the Canal & River Trust waterways,which cover around 2,000 miles of the inland waterway network.However CRT are not the only navigation authority ,and the Environment Agency manage several river navigations totalling 650 miles (such as The Thames,Medway,Nene,Great Ouse) and you have to puchase a seperate navigation certificate from them for these rivers.EA short term visitor permits are good for visits of a few days,but I have paid for a "Gold Licence" which covers both CRT and EA waterways for the whole of 2018 and intend to get my monies worth !

There are a miriad of other navigation authorities in the UK some charging fees (River Wey ,National Trust),(Basingstoke Canal,Surrey & Hampshire County Councils),(River Cam Conservators in Cambridge)(Broads Authority) while other navigation authorities dont charge anything for leisure craft (Tidal Thames below Teddington,PLA) ,(Tidal Trent below Gainsborough ,AB Ports ),(Middle Level Commissioners),(Witham Navigable Drains ).

There are plans for CRT to absorb the EA navigations ,this should happen in this parliament but the question of what existing licences will cover once the waterways have been combined has yet to be consulted upon.

This is a rather dry subject,hope I've cast some light on it.

Thanks for that lengthy explanation, I think I get the general idea.

trainman
02-01-2018, 17:16
This is a rather dry subject,
British Waterways? A dry subject..?

Delboy20
02-01-2018, 19:27
I don't really bother too much with this thread but I'm using it to note that I started the year on 1802 reviews. Not all pubs I review on here are new but most are so at least I'll have some sort of figure. Having visited most JDWs I'm expecting to be in the Slow Lane this year but would like to reach 2000 reviews. Now that Southern Railway have reinstated advance tickets I'd like to get to the Harvey's pubs I've not yet been to and the Black Country Ales ones. Another target will be micropubs which finally now seem to be expanding as quickly as I thought they might. I'll take the dodgy opening hours on the chin!

How many of the Black Country ales pubs have you done? I really like them as a chain and they seem to be growing all the time. Not sure if you are aware but they have put out a real ale trail. You can pick up a collector card and the aim is to visit 30 of their pubs by the end of March and get your card stamped. Quite an undertaking for a rugby shirt but you may be up for it!

Delboy20
02-01-2018, 19:29
Decent start with 7 new pubs around Stetchford and Acocks Green.

Aqualung
02-01-2018, 20:02
How many of the Black Country ales pubs have you done? I really like them as a chain and they seem to be growing all the time. Not sure if you are aware but they have put out a real ale trail. You can pick up a collector card and the aim is to visit 30 of their pubs by the end of March and get your card stamped. Quite an undertaking for a rugby shirt but you may be up for it!
Only 10 so far, I saw their ale trail poster in Stafford, but I've got most of my rail tickets booked up until the end of March so won't attempt it. The only one I wasn't so keen on was the Leicester King's Head. When I went to the Leicester Salmon it was a Banks's pub! The Lych Gate in Wolverhampton always seems to have an interesting selection and is handy for that Slaters bar.

Mobyduck
07-01-2018, 18:36
Picked up my first six of the year around the periphery of Winchester city centre, a lot of walking involved.

Delboy20
11-01-2018, 19:43
Decent start with 7 new pubs around Stetchford and Acocks Green.

A few new ones in Brum and Halesowen takes me to 11.

ROBCamra
15-01-2018, 14:23
Collected my first new pubs of the year after a trip to Huddersfield yesterday.

Now on a pitiful 4. :(

ROBCamra
23-01-2018, 14:25
6 more in Edgeley on Friday puts me into double figures. Now on 10.:cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
24-01-2018, 17:38
As usual a quiet January so far but did 13 in Taunton last Saturday. Don't think this year will be a very high total as I've ran out of nearby places to do.

Delboy20
24-01-2018, 19:49
A few new ones in Brum and Halesowen takes me to 11.

Did 3 in Brownhills to reach 14.

Mobyduck
31-01-2018, 17:23
One month down and scraped together 13 new visits.

ETA
31-01-2018, 19:25
One month down, 22 in the bag.

Wittenden
31-01-2018, 19:56
50% attrition rate: 1 new pub from 2 visits.

Aqualung
31-01-2018, 21:48
My total reviews have risen to 1820 making 18 new reviews for January. The days are slowly getting longer and the head banging Winter ales are dying out so I hope to considerably increase that total in the coming months. Even if that doesn't happen I'm still on target to break the 2000 barrier this year.

Bucking Fastard
01-02-2018, 17:01
One month down and 10 new pub visits. I'm on very familiar boating territory ,so quite an effort to seek out new pub visits at present.

ROBCamra
06-02-2018, 14:32
Moved up a gear or two this weekend with 16 new pubs

8 in Stacksteads & Bacup, 1 in Hebden Bridge and 7 in Macclesfield.

Now on 26. :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
07-02-2018, 21:08
After a trip to do new Swindon Pub and reopened pub in Oxon borders and a few more in Oxfordshire up to 26 now. Have 2 days leave prior to end of March to take so planning a 4 day trip away around end of Feb early March that may net 50+ new pubs. Just got to work out where I may want to go...

Suggestions.

Mobyduck
11-02-2018, 20:02
Seven new in various bits of sarf London today push me on to 21.

Aqualung
11-02-2018, 21:00
Seven new in various bits of sarf London today push me on to 21.
I see the Castle in Tooting (one of the original Young's 135 from back in the day) had only Sambrooks. I wonder if with the transfer of Wells to Marston the beer supply agreement is null and void. I always thought that Wandle and Junction were copies of Ordinary and Special.

Mobyduck
11-02-2018, 21:11
I see the Castle in Tooting (one of the original Young's 135 from back in the day) had only Sambrooks. I wonder if with the transfer of Wells to Marston the beer supply agreement is null and void. I always thought that Wandle and Junction were copies of Ordinary and Special.

There were some pumps clipped with youngs but with upturned glasses on the handles, so run out.

ROBCamra
16-02-2018, 15:31
And up into third gear.

A half term trip involving Fleetwood/Liverpool/New Brighton/Southport netted me 19 new pubs.

Now on 45! :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
18-02-2018, 20:58
After an afternoon trip to Stratford Upon Avon yesterday and a couple in Worcester on way through now on 37. Could've been more but cold days and early starts don't inspire me to get up and make a day of it on a weekend.

Trip to Taunton area tonight got another 4 so 41 now.

Another 8 today takes me to 49.

Mobyduck
25-02-2018, 09:08
A few in Oxford yesterday moves me on to 26.

Delboy20
25-02-2018, 09:44
Did 3 in Brownhills to reach 14.

A couple in Halesowen and a trip to Pelsall gets me to 21. A bit behind but a few good days out to come in March should get me back on track!

oldboots
25-02-2018, 09:51
Almost the end of February and I've just moved up to 2.

ROBCamra
25-02-2018, 14:35
8 new pubs in Rawtenstall & Waterfoot bring me up to 53. :cheers:

Aqualung
25-02-2018, 22:24
My review total now stands at 1848 which means I've reviewed 46 new pubs this year. I've got a stay in North Wales booked for most of next week travelling on Tuesday and returning Saturday but the weather forecast is causing concern. If I can get there I'll be dodging the Beast from the East but getting back may be a problem. No new pubs to visit but there will be some new reviews if the pubs are open.

ETA
28-02-2018, 20:23
44 so far this year.

Tris39
28-02-2018, 21:43
Managed 6 new ones yesterday.

Bucking Fastard
01-03-2018, 09:07
Two months down ,and now up to 27.

Taking advantage of my old gits railcard to tick off North London pubs some Saturdays.Slow progress boating in very familiar pub territory but there are a few new ones that have opened in Oxford and maybe worth a visit.

ROBCamra
10-03-2018, 13:21
7 new pubs in Stalybridge take me up to 60. :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
18-03-2018, 16:28
After 3 days away doing all of Yeovil and more of Taunton now on 89 would've been more but as my car covered in snow this morning thought at 10.30 with first pub I wanted to do in country lanes opening at 12.00 rather than stay away another day to do ~15 more going home may be the best option, don't think it was as snow had stopped by time I got home but hey ho.

ROBCamra
19-03-2018, 14:07
A new opening in Rochdale, 1 in Manchester and 2 in Harrogate move me up to 64. :cheers:

Delboy20
20-03-2018, 19:29
A couple in Halesowen and a trip to Pelsall gets me to 21. A bit behind but a few good days out to come in March should get me back on track!

Been a good month so far with Sunderland and York. Add in a day round Solihull and I am now on to 47.
Off to Blackpool Easter weekend so I might add a couple there!

chramies
21-03-2018, 10:50
21 this year so far and a Visited Pubs List standing at 1,540. However that list goes right back as far as I have records, and most of these I haven't reviewed - used to review on bite as Beeronaut and then Rainlight - must start reviewing here.

Mobyduck
21-03-2018, 17:08
21 this year so far and a Visited Pubs List standing at 1,540. However that list goes right back as far as I have records, and most of these I haven't reviewed - used to review on bite as Beeronaut and then Rainlight - must start reviewing here.

Go for it, I take it you have given up on BITE like most on here?

chramies
21-03-2018, 17:56
Go for it, I take it you have given up on BITE like most on here?

I think so, rather be in on a site that is properly moderated and being updated - BITE what with not being able to log in at all for a while and before that all the spam, didn't make it a site I wanted to use much more.

Bucking Fastard
22-03-2018, 15:00

Welcome to Pubsgalore,look forward to seeing your reviews in the future.

Komakino
22-03-2018, 17:35
I think so, rather be in on a site that is properly moderated and being updated - BITE what with not being able to log in at all for a while and before that all the spam, didn't make it a site I wanted to use much more.

The main reasons I defected, as well as the fact there was no moderation of idiots like ArsenalFan36...

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 09:38
The main reasons I defected, as well as the fact there was no moderation of idiots like ArsenalFan36...

I liked ArsenalFan36, does that make me an idiot? (No don't answer that!!).

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 10:46
My March total (and probably the year's one) is in tatters. I went to North Wales at the very end of February and have four reviews to write up from Machynlleth but nothing else. On March 1st I went to the JDW in Pwllheli to find Big Bog Quagmire with a St Davids Day discount which with a 50p voucher made it £1.56 a pint until a staff member realised I was getting a double discount so moved onto the Black Dragon Cider.
When I returned to Llanbedr station which is in a very exposed location on a small stretch of marshland an Easterly gale was blowing the strength of which I've only seen the likes of around the summit of Snowdon. The next day after several and on-going power cuts it transpired that nothing was running due to fallen trees. In the upper part of Llanbedr a man had a cardiac arrest but an ambulance couldn't get through to save him because of five fallen trees.
I spent the entire Friday in the Ty Mawr where the Butty Bach was in good form although not a favourite and also enjoyed an early Great Orme Snowdon Lager.
On Saturday there were no trains running and found myself going down with a bout of cellulitis (it's a nasty virus in the blood) in my right leg which I could do nothing about and it meant the Butty Bach the day before was and still is my last alcoholic drink.
I got back to London on the Sunday via the only train and Crewe to find that oral antibiotics were not enough so had a two week spell in hospital receiving administered into my veins. I'm out now and on oral antibiotics but at the moment don't feel like a drink at all.

So, once I add the 4 Mach reviews my total for the year is 50. I may get to some new London pubs over Easter, it depends how I feel. I certainly won't be missing out on Devon next month, Northern Ireland or the two new Norfolk JDWs which will see the UK complete for me.

Mobyduck
24-03-2018, 10:57
7 new in Brighton yesterday brings me to 38 to date.

Mobyduck
24-03-2018, 10:59
On Saturday there were no trains running and found myself going down with a bout of cellulitis (it's a nasty virus in the blood) in my right leg which I could do nothing about and it meant the Butty Bach the day before was and still is my last alcoholic drink.
I got back to London on the Sunday via the only train and Crewe to find that oral antibiotics were not enough so had a two week spell in hospital receiving administered into my veins. I'm out now and on oral antibiotics but at the moment don't feel like a drink at all.

Doesn't sound nice, glad your on the mend.

Aqualung
24-03-2018, 11:07
Doesn't sound nice, glad your on the mend.

Thanks, it sums the seriousness of it up that I still don't feel like a drink, despite the availability of Elvis Juice or Proper Black.
I was supposed to be in Liverpool today.

Delboy20
24-03-2018, 16:20
Thanks, it sums the seriousness of it up that I still don't feel like a drink, despite the availability of Elvis Juice or Proper Black.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - take your time and get well.
Sometimes - very rarely I admit - the pub comes second!

Bucking Fastard
25-03-2018, 16:05

Best wishes for a swift recovery and hopefully your plans to complete your 'spoons mission won't be compromised

bcfczuluarmy
25-03-2018, 18:12
Now on 100 which is better than I thought I would be.

Also echo best wishes to Aqualung.

Aqualung
25-03-2018, 19:33
Also echo best wishes to Aqualung.

Thanks to everyone. The girlfriend of the bloke who runs the pub side of the Ty Mawr may have hit the nail on the head when on the Saturday she asked "Do you think you may have been overdoing it slightly?".
Given that on the Friday I was due to visit the 3 Robinson's places in Beddgelert, a much more sober day than hurling back pint after pint of Butty Bach. she may well have been right.

london calling
25-03-2018, 20:53
Hope you are feeling better.Shame you missed the Spoons fest. cheers john

Aqualung
25-03-2018, 21:34
Hope you are feeling better.Shame you missed the Spoons fest. cheers john

Thanks, I'm slowly getting there.
I'm not really bothered about the Spoons fests any more. They've gone from up to 50 beers to a pathetic 25 this time with 5 ciders which presumably means no cider festival this July. The Oakham Atila would have been interesting though.

Wittenden
26-03-2018, 08:08
Thanks, I'm slowly getting there.
I'm not really bothered about the Spoons fests any more. They've gone from up to 50 beers to a pathetic 25 this time with 5 ciders which presumably means no cider festival this July. The Oakham Atila would have been interesting though.

Yes,get well soon.

ROBCamra
26-03-2018, 18:37
2 new ones in Leeds last night drift me up to 66.:cheers:

Spinko
30-03-2018, 06:15
Hoping to take in newish micro 'Northern Type' in Eccles this afternoon, and one-day old Tap and Vine in Penwortham (Preston) tomorrow...

Bucking Fastard
01-04-2018, 15:10
The first quarter of the year finished with a round total of 50.Brighton helped a lot,but there's been much infilling around north London and Oxford.

April may see a trip on the Upper Thames to Lechlade if river levels subside from the strong stream red warnings,with lots of potential new pub visits.

Real Ale Ray
01-04-2018, 17:57
My March total (and probably the year's one) is in tatters. I went to North Wales at the very end of February and have four reviews to write up from Machynlleth but nothing else. On March 1st I went to the JDW in Pwllheli to find Big Bog Quagmire with a St Davids Day discount which with a 50p voucher made it £1.56 a pint until a staff member realised I was getting a double discount so moved onto the Black Dragon Cider.
When I returned to Llanbedr station which is in a very exposed location on a small stretch of marshland an Easterly gale was blowing the strength of which I've only seen the likes of around the summit of Snowdon. The next day after several and on-going power cuts it transpired that nothing was running due to fallen trees. In the upper part of Llanbedr a man had a cardiac arrest but an ambulance couldn't get through to save him because of five fallen trees.
I spent the entire Friday in the Ty Mawr where the Butty Bach was in good form although not a favourite and also enjoyed an early Great Orme Snowdon Lager.

So, once I add the 4 Mach reviews my total for the year is 50. I may get to some new London pubs over Easter, it depends how I feel. I certainly won't be missing out on Devon next month, Northern Ireland or the two new Norfolk JDWs which will see the UK complete for me.

Only just reading this now Aqualung, hope you're well on the mend at this stage. Enjoy the Peerless when you eventually get up north...

bcfczuluarmy
01-04-2018, 20:17
After a detour up the stratford upon Avon canal now on 110.

ETA
04-04-2018, 15:42

I'm doing the Somerset Ale Trail just now, so that may knock my pace back a bit as I repeat pubs. OK, so it would be cheaper just to go and buy a T-shirt and have it printed myself, but where's the fun in that?

Delboy20
04-04-2018, 21:13
Been a good month so far with Sunderland and York. Add in a day round Solihull and I am now on to 47.
Off to Blackpool Easter weekend so I might add a couple there!

Picked up half a dozen in Blackpool and a couple in West Brom - now on 55.

Aqualung
04-04-2018, 22:14

I'm doing the Somerset Ale Trail just now, so that may knock my pace back a bit as I repeat pubs. OK, so it would be cheaper just to go and buy a T-shirt and have it printed myself, but where's the fun in that?

This has always been my sort of thing, the "prize" at the end of it being completely irrelevant with the exception of collecting three K&B passports which gave you three annual freebies at the brewery. What do you have to do to complete it?
I've got an engraved pint glass in the name of Sir Herbert Gusset (shurely a collectors item?) for going round 25 Charles Wells pubs in the 1990s many of which were is inner London and very ill advised purchases.

ETA
06-04-2018, 16:14
What do you have to do to complete it?

I started a new thread http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27506-Somerset-Ale-Trail-2018 - sorry it's taken a while. 20 pubs gets a polo shirt, 30 a polo shirt and a £10 book token, £40 as before plus prize draw entry and a meal.

Aqualung
06-04-2018, 17:23
I started a new thread http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27506-Somerset-Ale-Trail-2018 - sorry it's taken a while. 20 pubs gets a polo shirt, 30 a polo shirt and a £10 book token, £40 as before plus prize draw entry and a meal.

I always wondered, is a polo shirt one with a big hole in it?

ETA
06-04-2018, 18:54
I always wondered, is a polo shirt one with a big hole in it?

No, they just cost a mint.

bcfczuluarmy
08-04-2018, 22:09
119 now after a some jaunts out this week around Somerset doing so new openings and last bits of areas covered but not completed.

bcfczuluarmy
22-04-2018, 16:08
Up to 140 now after doing 3 in Gloucester and then on to Worcester yesterday.

Wild Rover
27-04-2018, 17:22
Up to 140 now after doing 3 in Gloucester and then on to Worcester yesterday.

Just over 90 now but with 4 days in London next week and a 12 day round Britain cruise in June i should be back on an even keel.

ETA
01-05-2018, 17:18
Now on 87.

Two more Somerset Ale Trail pubs and I claim my polo shirt.

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2018, 10:09
The first quarter of the year finished with a round total of 50.Brighton helped a lot,but there's been much infilling around north London and Oxford.

April may see a trip on the Upper Thames to Lechlade if river levels subside from the strong stream red warnings,with lots of potential new pub visits.

Crept up to 55 after navigating the Upper Thames.May looking quiet but a whole host of virgin pubs in NuL will boost the total in June.

Aqualung
05-05-2018, 09:46
66 new reviews for me this year. "Proper" pubs in Southern England and other places continue to disappoint, usually because of the ridiculous prices. The idea of going around pubs in Inner London is never going to happen.

Mobyduck
06-05-2018, 09:05
After a day in Northampton yesterday, I now have 55 new visits.

ROBCamra
25-05-2018, 14:31
After a very bleak couple of weeks for new pubs I got a new one in Sowerby Bridge last Friday and one in Liverpool on Monday.

Those two limp me up to 68. :cheers:

Mobyduck
25-05-2018, 18:35
Pushed on to 65, beginning to get a review backlog though, must try harder.

ETA
31-05-2018, 14:54

Delboy20
02-06-2018, 21:24
A day out in Lichfield and a night out in London has got me up to 96. Happy with that almost half way through the year!

ROBCamra
03-06-2018, 07:10
Another 2 on the northern outskirts of Rochdale take me up to 70. :cheers:

Mobyduck
03-06-2018, 08:09
3 new brewery taps yesterday plus a couple of pubs mid- week puts me also on 70.

Mobyduck
03-06-2018, 10:36
3 new brewery taps yesterday plus a couple of pubs mid- week puts me also on 70.

Oop's forgot one, 71.

Bucking Fastard
03-06-2018, 16:37
Crept up to 55 after navigating the Upper Thames.May looking quiet but a whole host of virgin pubs in NuL will boost the total in June.

May has been a quiet month ,so total year to date now 58.....NuL crawl will inject some momentum in June.

Aqualung
03-06-2018, 18:03
66 new reviews for me this year. "Proper" pubs in Southern England and other places continue to disappoint, usually because of the ridiculous prices. The idea of going around pubs in Inner London is never going to happen.

Now up to 86 reviews. Sadly the 5 Eire JDWs next week won't count but as much dross as possible that I can pick up in Holyhead will.

Brainypool
04-06-2018, 00:23
I count 40 new pubs so far this year. Slow and steady but usually do a lot more once the summer gets going.

bcfczuluarmy
11-06-2018, 20:24
157 now and with revisits up to 266 pubs this year.

Mobyduck
14-06-2018, 20:59
Up to 81 after a visit to Poole.

Mobyduck
24-06-2018, 09:55
A random visit or three puts me on 84.

ROBCamra
27-06-2018, 13:18
The two nights and a long PuG day in Newcastle Under Lyme netted me 18 new pubs. Now on 88. :cheers:

Delboy20
27-06-2018, 20:53
A day out in Lichfield and a night out in London has got me up to 96. Happy with that almost half way through the year!

A couple in Kenilworth and a day out in Leamington has put me on 115.
Got a week in Whitby next month so expecting quite a few more ….

Bucking Fastard
01-07-2018, 10:18
May has been a quiet month ,so total year to date now 58.....NuL crawl will inject some momentum in June.

NuL certainly did inject some momentum and for the first half of 2018 I'm now up to 83. July and August boating on the Nene,Great Ouse and Middle Levels should net a lot of new pub visits so I'm ticking along nicely.

gillhalfpint
23-07-2018, 06:36
We are on 65 new ones for 2018, mainly due to the excellent monthly coach trip we get out on to various parts of the country. July was River Avon pubs, and August was to be Salisbury, but has been changed to Newark area, and all pubs listed are new to us. Looking forward to a few days in York next week, with a day trip out to Sheffield, but too many favourite pubs will be visited. Are there any new must visit places in York does anyone know?

Brainypool
23-07-2018, 09:14
couple of decent crawls recently and I'm up to 70 for the year

hondo
23-07-2018, 10:54
We are on 65 new ones for 2018, mainly due to the excellent monthly coach trip we get out on to various parts of the country. July was River Avon pubs, and August was to be Salisbury, but has been changed to Newark area, and all pubs listed are new to us. Looking forward to a few days in York next week, with a day trip out to Sheffield, but too many favourite pubs will be visited. Are there any new must visit places in York does anyone know?
perhaps the new House of the Trembling Madness (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86524/)

oldboots
23-07-2018, 12:02
Are there any new must visit places in York does anyone know?

That depends on when you last visited,

Brew York (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84010/) isn't that new but it's different and most people like it,

I haven't visited these new openings and there are no reviews on here yet,

Piccadilly Tap / Cuckoo (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86537/)
Bistro Guy (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86546/)

Newark is a good drinking town and it's flat and fairly compact.

Mobyduck
23-07-2018, 16:23
Two fat ladies. 88.

ETA
23-07-2018, 19:30
Two fat ladies. 88.

So you've body-shamed them and assumed their gender?

What, were you born in the 20th Century or something?

Mobyduck
23-07-2018, 22:18
So you've body-shamed them and assumed their gender?

What, were you born in the 20th Century or something?

I could be talking about some rotund females or possibly some young podgy scottish chaps, either way you're spot on with the century of my birth, otherwise I would have been guilty of underage reviewing.:eek:

ROBCamra
30-07-2018, 18:02
After a peaceful couple of weeks I've managed to visit 8 new pubs in and around Manchester and one along the Rochdale canal.

Now on 96. :cheers:

Soup Dragon
30-07-2018, 20:57
either way you're spot on with the century of my birth, otherwise I would have been guilty of underage reviewing.:eek:

Not in the Cannock area, mate!

Aqualung
30-07-2018, 21:11
My tally of reviews added for the year is now 159. I'm expecting a slow down from now on but should still easily get through the 200 mark.

Mobyduck
30-07-2018, 22:54
Not in the Cannock area, mate!

:drinkup:

Bucking Fastard
01-08-2018, 08:33
NuL certainly did inject some momentum and for the first half of 2018 I'm now up to 83. July and August boating on the Nene,Great Ouse and Middle Levels should net a lot of new pub visits so I'm ticking along nicely.

Another month has drifted by and I'm now on 107 so far this year.

Delboy20
01-08-2018, 17:41
A couple in Kenilworth and a day out in Leamington has put me on 115.
Got a week in Whitby next month so expecting quite a few more ….

Now up to 152 mainly thanks to Whitby.

ETA
01-08-2018, 21:00

oldboots
02-08-2018, 07:14
A rather pathetic 79.

Wild Rover
05-08-2018, 20:05
After 29 visits last week on the Kent coast now up to 237 and with 2 more 5 days breaks before the end of August should be well ahead of my 365 target for the year.

Mobyduck
05-08-2018, 20:35
94, should crack the century before Christmas.:rolleyes:

ROBCamra
15-08-2018, 10:32
7 around Mills Hill station and 3 more in Sheffield moves me above the ton at 106. :cheers:

Still very low for part way through August though. :(

Delboy20
15-08-2018, 21:36
Now up to 152 mainly thanks to Whitby.

Now up to 156 after ticking off a few stragglers in Brum.

ETA
31-08-2018, 22:27

Mobyduck
31-08-2018, 22:48
94, should crack the century before Christmas.:rolleyes:

Only joking,a Worcester foray at the back end of September and the PUG Manchester trip in October will enhance things somewhat, currently 97.

ROBCamra
01-09-2018, 13:11
A trip to Saltaire netted me 10 more, Now on 116. :cheers:

Spinko
01-09-2018, 17:26
Finally hit the Northern Monk Refectory. Excellent.

Bucking Fastard
02-09-2018, 08:54
Another month has drifted by and I'm now on 107 so far this year.

August saw the year to date total rise to 123,mainly as a result of a few trips to North London.

September will see a few more ticked off in the Fens,real progress may have to wait until the Manchester crawl in October.

Wild Rover
09-09-2018, 21:07
Now on 270 and ahead of my 365 target. Should get a good haul in the next couple of weeks with Hereford on Wednesday and 4 days in Wales the following week.

Delboy20
21-09-2018, 19:38
Now up to 156 after ticking off a few stragglers in Brum.

A few round Gornal and a trip to Cannock has put me up to 173.

Mobyduck
29-09-2018, 08:27
Now on 108 thanks to a mid week visit to Gloucester, only expect to pick up one or two today in London, but the forthcoming Manchester trip will boost things further.

Brainypool
29-09-2018, 19:31
A mini crawl in Wigan and Preston today takes me to 129

ETA
29-09-2018, 23:21

bcfczuluarmy
30-09-2018, 14:48
202 New pubs and 207 revisits.

Mobyduck
30-09-2018, 16:32
Now on 108 thanks to a mid week visit to Gloucester, only expect to pick up one or two today in London, but the forthcoming Manchester trip will boost things further.

It was one so now on 109.

Aqualung
30-09-2018, 17:16
225 for me.

Wittenden
30-09-2018, 18:29
Ten from 57 visits.To Michaelmas 2017:20 from 76. In my defense, we did go away twice in the early part of last year. No such luck this time.

Tris39
30-09-2018, 19:02
Just 56 this year, 37 if you don't count the Brighton crawl; doubt I'll make it to any new venues in what's left of the year as it's getting harder for me to explore pastures new due to the ridiculous cost of London Transport.:(

Aqualung
30-09-2018, 20:00
Just 56 this year, 37 if you don't count the Brighton crawl; doubt I'll make it to any new venues in what's left of the year as it's getting harder for me to explore pastures new due to the ridiculous cost of London Transport.:(

... and the ridiculous beer prices don't bother you?

Bucking Fastard
01-10-2018, 11:08
August saw the year to date total rise to 123,mainly as a result of a few trips to North London.

September will see a few more ticked off in the Fens,real progress may have to wait until the Manchester crawl in October.

Now up to 145 with quite a few in Fenland,plus a crawl around Waltham Abbey.October is all about the Manchester crawl and a slow drift up the Nene back to the canal system.

Mobyduck
15-10-2018, 10:36
Manchester has elevated me to 134.

oldboots
15-10-2018, 15:07
Manchester followed by a couple of days in Newcastle brings me up to 111, sadly pub 100 was Flok where the beer was warm pish.

ROBCamra
16-10-2018, 14:42
A big fat zero for me on the Manchester crawl.

However a trip to Shrewsbury added 4 new ones despite it being very familiar territory.

Now on 120. :cheers:

Delboy20
18-10-2018, 17:54
A few round Gornal and a trip to Cannock has put me up to 173.

Now on 187 after Millwall.

Mobyduck
19-10-2018, 05:39
I did manage 4 new ones last Tuesday before everything came to a shuddering halt a few hours later, the highlight being Ye Olde Mitre Inne (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14399/) , this takes me to 138. I was aiming to crack 200, this will not now happen. :(

Mobyduck
20-10-2018, 10:52
I did manage 4 new ones last Tuesday before everything came to a shuddering halt a few hours later, the highlight being Ye Olde Mitre Inne (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14399/) , this takes me to 138. I was aiming to crack 200, this will not now happen. :(

Forgot one ,it was 5 so now on 139.

gillhalfpint
23-10-2018, 17:29
I am on our highest total for a year currently on 120.

Helped a lot by the monthly CAMRA coach trips which we enjoy. November will be Milton Keynes area and December Northamptonshire. The chosen pubs on these are nearly always new one for us.

Gill

Wild Rover
30-10-2018, 17:51
After a long hard slog around Manchester and the surrounding areas today have now reached 313 and quite a few ahead of schedule.

Brainypool
31-10-2018, 07:15
153 new pub visits after a week in the south west

ETA
31-10-2018, 21:22

Aqualung
31-10-2018, 21:51
It's 255 new reviews for me now and I don't envisage making the 300. I was delighted to see a new micropub added to Brosfstairs today which gives me a perfect excuse to go back there to just visit the micropubs without having to worry about all the other dross.

Bucking Fastard
01-11-2018, 08:49
Now up to 145 with quite a few in Fenland,plus a crawl around Waltham Abbey.October is all about the Manchester crawl and a slow drift up the Nene back to the canal system.

October was a bumper month,and so with two months of the year left I'm now on 176.

I'd be surprised to make much more progress this year,a few "fill ins" in North London and some new micros near canals but unlikley to make 200 for the year.

ROBCamra
27-11-2018, 13:29
Some more familiar territory in Manchester, Newcastle & Scarborough still added 12 and then a trip to the nether reaches of Oldham added 5 more.

Now on 137. :cheers:

Mobyduck
27-11-2018, 18:46
Now on 146 but only expecting dribs and drabs till the new year.

Brainypool
02-12-2018, 06:18
184 now

Bucking Fastard
03-12-2018, 08:28
October was a bumper month,and so with two months of the year left I'm now on 176.

I'd be surprised to make much more progress this year,a few "fill ins" in North London and some new micros near canals but unlikley to make 200 for the year.

November nudged the total year to date up to 185.December is generally a bad month for new pubs ,so just short of 200 seems likely for 2018.

ROBCamra
03-12-2018, 13:42
Added the Hare On The Hill (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87140/) on Thursday, so now on 138. :cheers:

Pangolin
03-12-2018, 15:53
Squeezed in a few more at the end of last week, which leaves me nearly all of December to get the last 5 of my 400 target :bemerry:

oldboots
03-12-2018, 16:35
A trip to Worcester brings me up to 128, that's probably it for this year.

I was wrong, a sneaky trip to Meanwood brings me up to 134

Aqualung
03-12-2018, 16:36
274 reviews added for the year. The next couple of weeks consist of the Quest For Batham's XXX, Holden's Old Ale and Sarah Hughes Snowflake so I will fall short of 300 as there will be few new pubs.

ETA
03-12-2018, 21:24

Wild Rover
14-12-2018, 21:54
Now on 330 and behind on my 365 target for the year with Northern Rail playing a large part in my demise.

Quinno
15-12-2018, 20:49
186 reviews done - think I have another 20 or so in the locker to try and get done in the next few weeks, so should break 200.

Need to get back on a 250-300 target for next year, been a bit slack!

Delboy20
16-12-2018, 10:30
Now on 187 after Millwall.

Trips to Stratford and Brownhills have nudged me over the 200. Now on 202 and happy with that. I don't expect to do any more new ones but I might manage a couple!

ROBCamra
17-12-2018, 15:18
Another 7 around Stockport and 1 in Manchester on Friday brings me up to 146.

That will be it unless something surprising happens between now and the end of the year. :cheers:

Mobyduck
17-12-2018, 16:00
Scraped another four together this month so far to give me a round 150, nothing further planned this year.

Quinno
31-12-2018, 11:04
213 all-in for 2018.

Hopefully a slightly higher figure for next year...

Wittenden
31-12-2018, 14:03
A grand total of 14,from 82 visits to 40 pubs.Could do better, but I draw the line at visiting cr&p pubs for the sake of it!

Pubsignman
31-12-2018, 17:38
Currently in my 199th new pub of the year, The City Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59965/). Can I make it to 200 before midnight though?

Mobyduck
31-12-2018, 17:46
Currently in my 199th new pub of the year, The City Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59965/). Can I make it to 200 before midnight though?

Where there's a will there's a way.;)
If it is your last , which I very much doubt,It's a cracker.

Mobyduck
31-12-2018, 17:49
Now done and dusted on 152, not near my heights of +300 a couple of years ago, but a lot less dross.

Aqualung
31-12-2018, 18:38
I ended up adding 281 reviews in 2018. Sadly the 5 Eire JDWs and the bar opposite Connolly Station counted for nothing. I don't believe I got to a single new Harvey's pub and only got to a few new Black Country Ales pubs but did get to the new Batham's outlet and the two new Holden's ones. I'm on top of JDWs but that may change with three or more opening in Ireland next year.

bcfczuluarmy
31-12-2018, 20:29
272 new pubs and 266 revisits, pretty lazy.

rpadam
31-12-2018, 22:08
Targets hit and missed in 2018:
1) Upload all reviews and photographs before the end of the year - hit (just, with 1:05 to spare).
2) Reach 50% of all open Central London pubs reviewed - miss (just, currently 49.9% - only two more would have done it!).
3) Reach 33⅓% of all open Kent pubs reviewed - miss (currently 32.8%, so one for next year).
4) Reach 25% of all open West Midlands pubs reviewed - hit (currently 25.3%).

Bucking Fastard
01-01-2019, 10:02
I finished 2018 with a total of 196 new pub visits,helped by a late flurry post Christmas.

Boating in the Fens was a source of a lot of new pubs in 2018,as were the excellent PuG crawls and the opening of new micro pubs .

ETA
01-01-2019, 16:43
248, 5 down on last year.

gillhalfpint
01-01-2019, 16:55
I finished on 168 which is the first time in 5 years I have managed over 100 so well pleased.

Happy New Year to all, and hoping to carry on the good work in 2019. January trip is Stockport and around, and all the pubs in Marple, Romiley and Stockport are new ones for us, so a good start.

Gill

sheffield hatter
01-01-2019, 18:25
New pubs visited: 259

Total pub visits: 753
Number of pubs visited: 456
Number visited once only: 380

Pubs in double figures: 10 (of which nine in Sheffield)
Odd one out: Scarbrough Hotel, Leeds
Visits to these 10 pubs: 202

Sheffield Tap 39
Wellington 36
Shakespeares 20
Gardeners Rest 19
Blake Hotel 17
Fat Cat 16
Kelham Island Tavern 16
Dog & Partridge 14
Ecclesall Ale Club 13
Scarbrough Hotel 12

Total of Sheffield pubs visited: 55
Total Sheffield pub visits: 245

Non-pub days: 145 (of which non-drinking days: 30)
Average number of visits per pub day: 3.4

First duplicate pub name encountered: Black Horse (Luton 30 January, Whitby 11 March)
Number of repeated pub names: 24
Most common: Red Lion (Stone, Crowle, Sandiacre, York and Luton)

Busiest month: July (82)
Quietest: August (40)

Number of hours wasted on this: countless

bcfczuluarmy
01-01-2019, 18:46
Have we now invented counting multiple revisits/year of the same pub? I'll need a new column on the spreadsheet, if not more to work out those stats you've given above.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2019, 18:57
Have we now invented counting multiple revisits/year of the same pub? I'll need a new column on the spreadsheet, if not more to work out those stats you've given above.

I was just interested to know how many actual visits to pubs I would make in the year, by comparison with the number of first visits to pubs I've never been to before. Turns out to be about one in three pub visits are to new pubs. As to whether anyone else should join in with this activity, I refer you to the last line of my previous post.

bcfczuluarmy
01-01-2019, 19:15
LOL I was intrigued as I thought my documentation was fairly detailed you've clearly got a better spreadsheet.... Appreciate your sentiment regarding last line but I'm the sad idiot that would go out of their way to work it out.

Without counting abroad pubs/bars/beer selling places I've drank in on holiday over the year I got to 678 for the year in UK. With no obvious way to filter names The Royal Oak and The Anchor will be more than 10 visits pubs ~40+ each evenly I suspect.

Jan 29
Feb 43
Mar 84
Apr 79
May 52
Jun 65
Jul 43
Aug 62
Sep 56
Oct 39
Nov 29
Dec 97

sheffield hatter
01-01-2019, 20:57
... you've clearly got a better spreadsheet....

Not at all. Just a database and a COUNTIF formula. When I got to a duplicate name I simply added a 2 to it: so the Black Horse, Whitby would become Black Horse2. (Another way would be to change the COUNTIF formula so that it looks at the location as well as the pub name, but I was trying to keep it simple, at the expense of being a little bit too hands on.)

rpadam
01-01-2019, 20:59
Not at all. Just a database and a COUNTIF formula. When I got to a duplicate name I simply added a 2 to it: so the Black Horse, Whitby would become Black Horse2. (Another way would be to change the COUNTIF formula so that it looks at the location as well as the pub name, but I was trying to keep it simple, at the expense of being a little bit too hands on.)
#spreadsheetsgalore ?

Aqualung
01-01-2019, 21:08
Can I bring this thread back down to earth by saying that I don't use spreadsheets which is why I can only use reviews posted on this site for any stats and I also DON'T have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one.
I wanted to make an online payment into my nephew's bank account last week and found that I couldn't as I need a card reader, so much for "convenient" online banking. If this stupid card reader device is Wi-Fi then I'm stuffed as my Deskstop PC is linked directly to the phone. As Blur said in the 1990s "Modern Life Is Rubbish". I look forward to the day when a huge Solar event knocks out all the satellite communications!

bcfczuluarmy
01-01-2019, 21:16
We should have an agreed format for spreadsheets... While I'm aware of COUNTIF mine isn't set up to work that way I don't think and my counts are on a separate tab with previous dates on another tab in another column of all pubs visited. 2019 New Years Resolution make mega stat spreadsheet.

Card reader isn't wifi just need card and pin number and the reader the bank should've sent you.

Aqualung
01-01-2019, 21:54
Card reader isn't wifi just need card and pin number and the reader the bank should've sent you.

Thanks for that reassurance and I've had to order this stupid card reader from the bank but surely it must need to be connected by USB or something?

rpadam
01-01-2019, 21:58
Thanks for that reassurance and I've had to order this stupid card reader from the bank but surely it must need to be connected by USB or something?
Nope.

bcfczuluarmy
02-01-2019, 00:30
It's algorithm based so follow the buttons on reader and it'll all be ok.

Pubsignman
02-01-2019, 09:55

Made it to 203 in the end, which was 47 short of my target thanks to a very slow second half of the year. Still have about 60-70 of these to write-up as well. Must try harder in 2019.