PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year

Lady Grey
01-01-2018, 01:26
I would just like to wish everyone good health and happiness in 2018.

Delboy20
01-01-2018, 07:43
Same here - hope its a good one!

Bucking Fastard
01-01-2018, 08:05
I would just like to wish everyone good health and happiness in 2018.

Thirded.....hope to see as many as possible down in Brighton. :bemerry:

Mobyduck
01-01-2018, 08:18
Yes Happy New Year .
I expect to be in Brighton.

Real Ale Ray
01-01-2018, 14:01
Happy New Beer to you all ! looking forward to our next meet up in Brighton.

Aqualung
01-01-2018, 16:16
Many happy Spoons visits in the coming year.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2018, 16:33
Many happy Spoons visits in the coming year.

Happy New Year to everyone, but I'm boycotting 'Spoons after being asked to pay for my beer before they pour it one too many times.

Aqualung
01-01-2018, 17:00
Happy New Year to everyone, but I'm boycotting 'Spoons after being asked to pay for my beer before they pour it one too many times.

It is very annoying and I can't believe it's justified. The same goes for them displaying clips where the beer isn't on.

Wittenden
01-01-2018, 18:14
Happy New Year-let's hope for some really cracking beer-even thunderingly good beer this year.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2018, 20:07
It is very annoying and I can't believe it's justified. The same goes for them displaying clips where the beer isn't on.

A friend of mine spoke to the manager at his local 'Spoons (where he spends both his and my Camra vouchers and normally gets VIP treatment and special offers) after this happened to him - two new members of staff didn't recognise him and thought he was just some tramp off the street. This manager said they'd been told to do it to anyone who seemed a risk of scarpering with the beer without paying. My friend expressed surprise at the thought of anyone actually running off with a pint in his hand, but apparently it has happened.

The first time it happened to me was in Leominster (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74589/). The second was in Penrith (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82115/). The third and last was in London (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53662/). I spoke to the manager and told him I believed that his staff had been told to identify any scruffy single strangers ordering just a beer and demand money first. He laughed at me, which is not an appropriate way to deal with someone with paranoid delusions, but we'll let that pass. I told him that I was certain it was company policy and that this, the third time it had happened, would be my last ever visit to a 'Spoons. He merely shrugged and walked away.

Aqualung my friend, don't you start away uneasy. You poor old sod, you see it's only me. I presume that you don't personally resemble the sleeve of the famous Jethro Tull album, or you'd have fallen victim to this policy yourself before now.

Aqualung
01-01-2018, 21:30
Aqualung my friend, don't you start away uneasy. You poor old sod, you see it's only me. I presume that you don't personally resemble the sleeve of the famous Jethro Tull album, or you'd have fallen victim to this policy yourself before now.

My appearance is probably much worse than that, I'm glad you didn't quote the opening line! It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained. The quickest I've ever downed a pint is around 4 seconds and that was a long time ago. Surely if they ring the beer up before serving it and then ask for the money I don't see how they can do a runner. I was in the Stourbridge outlet once and the barman gave me the pint when he was suddenly called upstairs. It took him ages to return and I could easily have left. I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.

sheffield hatter
02-01-2018, 10:29
It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive!

I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.

I agree a lot of the staff are useless, hence why I don't think they're doing this of their own initiative. And the manager of The Sheaf Island (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71052/) confirmed to my mate that it is company policy.

AlanH
02-01-2018, 11:10
My appearance is probably much worse than that, I'm glad you didn't quote the opening line! It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained. The quickest I've ever downed a pint is around 4 seconds and that was a long time ago. Surely if they ring the beer up before serving it and then ask for the money I don't see how they can do a runner. I was in the Stourbridge outlet once and the barman gave me the pint when he was suddenly called upstairs. It took him ages to return and I could easily have left. I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.

It is hardly worth doing a "runner" for £1.99! If I intended doing one (which I don't, I am far too slow anyway!), I would do it in one of those craft bars that charge £14 per pint.

Back to the thread: Wishing everyone a Hoppy New Beer.

Dave M
03-01-2018, 21:45
Happy new year to you all.

Sorry about being largely absent from the site for a while. After the server move last August/September I had to embark on a project that is taking me rather longer than I hoped to get done. My best guess as to the next time I can devote serious time to the site is probably March/April.

I can't work out any consistency when it comes to the Spoons policy on that. I've been asked to pay first a number of times.

The funniest incident was going to the bar in Cardiff with my brother in law where we were ordering separately. I ordered first, was served and then paid. He ordered with me stood still talking to him and was asked to pay first. Made no sense at all.

sheffield hatter
03-01-2018, 22:42
I ordered first, was served and then paid. He ordered with me stood still talking to him and was asked to pay first. Made no sense at all.

Probably bloody favouritism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFcIXHtHX4) again. "What I wouldn't give to be spat at in the face." (W. Shakespeare)