PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 10th December 2017)

ROBCamra
11-12-2017, 06:43
Thuck Phat: Wiper and True Porter Plum Pudding
Bucking Fastard: Burning Sky Aurora
oldboots: Brew York Tonkoko
Aqualung: Fixed Wheel Single Speed Mosaic
Wittenden: Arbor Simcoe
aleandhearty: Titanic Plum Porter Grand Reserve
Mobyduck: Exmoor Gold
ROBCamra: XT Animal Lion London Porter

Thuck Phat
11-12-2017, 10:21
Wiper and True - Porter Plum Pudding (bottle)

Found in my beer advent calendar - never mind Bah Humbug! this is the bomb - a deep, fruity, rich, 6.8% porter perfect for the chilly weather.

Bucking Fastard
11-12-2017, 15:18
Dahn sarf.

Purity -- Longhorn* (unfiltered keg)
Shepherd Neame -- Late Red
BrewDog -- Punk IPA (bottle)
Burning Sky --Aurora * (>3PT)

BOTW goes to Burning Sky Aurora consumed both before and after the footie.It was in perfect condition in the top bar of The George (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35541/)

Next week annual pub crawl around Hertford should boost consumption.

oldboots
11-12-2017, 15:30
A very short list but all very good except the Keg one which didn't work, BOTW Brew York - Tonkoko
which shouldn't work but does.

Acorn - Kashmir
Brass Castle - Bad Kitty
Milk Street - Devil's Backbone
Roosters - Simcoe
Brew York - Tonkoko
Weird Beard - Night of the Ryeclops (Keg)

Aqualung
11-12-2017, 15:53
Not a bad list this week including a return to the legendary Kinver Constitutional Club :-

Holden's Black Country Bitter 3.8%
Batham's Best 4.3%
Marston's Pedigree 4.5%
Ludlow Black Knight 4.5%
Fixed Wheel Single Speed Mosaic 4.5%
Tiny Rebel Cwtch 4.5%
Kinver Noble 4.5%
Sadler's Hop Bomb 4.6%
Tiny Rebel Random Name Generator Pale Black IPA 4.8%
Mumbles Kiwi Christmas 4.8%
Pardoes Netherton Pale Ale 4.8%
Hobsons Postmans Plum Porter 5.0%
Green Duck Heaven Sent 5.0%
Holden's Special 5.1%
Brecon Dyfwn’s Yew 5.2%
Tiny Rebel Stay Puft 5.2%
Pardoes Bumble Hole Bitter 5.2%
Spey Valley Sailor Terry 6.1%
Batham's XXX 6.3%
Sarah Hughes Snowflake 8.0%

I understand some people have difficulty understanding what a Black IPA is, so heaven only knows what they would make of Tiny Rebel's Pale Black IPA.
I'm going for a lower ABV one the Fixed Wheel Single Speed Mosaic tried not in the West Midlands but the Tiny Rebel Bar in Newport South Wales for £3.30.

BOTW Fixed Wheel Single Speed Mosaic

Wittenden
11-12-2017, 17:09
Kent 'n' Surrey

Goacher's: Fine Light Ale 3.7% abv-Mellow.
Ilkley:Tribus Lupulus 4.4%abv-Slightly hazy pale ale. Melons.
Wild Beer Co:Cottage Industry 4.5%-Another hazy pale ale. Bit lacking in character for the abv.
Titanic :Plum Porter Grand Reserve 6.5%abv-Someone'd been heavy handed with the noyaux.I couldn't finish this one,though it was selling very well . I won't list this as BABOTY,due to the glee with which others were consuming this, but I found it disgusting (not off.)
Howling Hops:Riding Ale 3%abv-London Murky pale ale. Excellent tropical fruit flavours for the abv. Served from stillage .In the beer festival tent.
Arbor Ales:Simcoe single hop.4%abv-Clear as a bell pale ale from stillage in the festival tent.Bubble gum fruit. Beer of the evening and Of The Week.

All the above, with the exception of the Goacher's taken at Surrey Oaks (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35618/) which is as good as it ever was.

aleandhearty
11-12-2017, 18:38
Excellent week for me, the best I've had in ages, topped off with a gentle wander round Skipton, on Saturday afternoon.

North Riding - West Coast IPA.*
Titanic - Plum Porter Grand Reserve.*
Blue Bee - Amarillo Pale.
Chin Chin - Soul Saver.
Rat - Desert Rat.
Acorn - Alliance IPA.
Ainsty - Crafty Chocolatier.
Fernandes - Double Chinned IPA.*
Abbeydale - Destiny.
Fernandes - Chocolate Cherry Stout.
Fernandes - Simcoe.
Turning Point - Avalon.*
First Chop - Vanilla Stout.
Ashover - Zoo.*
Wishbone - Tiller Pin.*
Durham - Smokin' Gun.*
Wensleydale - Sound Bar Pale Ale.
Settle - Ernie's Milk Stout.*
Northern Whisper - Oppenchops.
Lees - MPA.
Prospect - Big Adventure.

I'm afraid it's another nomination for the Grand Reserve! Having waited ages to try it, I wasn't disappointed. (Mind you, it was run very close by the Zoo and West Coast IPA). I suspect having it served in the Northern style helped its cause no end. Yes, I know how much you love sparklers, David. :)

Mobyduck
11-12-2017, 18:39
Only two pubs and three different beers (although lots of them) in the past week.

Purity pure Gold
Long Man APA
Exmoor Gold, this is beer of the week taken in good condition at The Phoenix (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59675/), not my local but nearest pub, It did though take an extraordinarily long time to walk home Friday night. :nishelypished:

rpadam
11-12-2017, 19:55
The Phoenix (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59675/)
Could do with some nice new pictures, next time you're there in daylight...

Mobyduck
11-12-2017, 21:20
Could do with some nice new pictures, next time you're there in daylight...

Yes, its a little murky to say the least.

Wittenden
12-12-2017, 07:42
Excellent week for me, the best I've had in ages, topped off with a gentle wander round Skipton, on Saturday afternoon.

Titanic - Plum Porter Grand Reserve.*
I suspect having it served in the Northern style helped its cause no end. Yes, I know how much you love sparklers, David. :)

Yes, might have deadened the flavour! Looking back, I think they must have changed the barrell , and not properly pulled through. I did see the guvnor take one or two samples as he rushed past.However, he should have alerted the barmaids.

ROBCamra
14-12-2017, 16:05
Tiny Rebel Random Name Generator Pale Black IPA 4.8%

I tried it in the well respected The Knott (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54247/) in Manchester.

It just didn't work for me. I thought it was crap. I think they may be overthinking it. :evilgrin:

Aqualung
14-12-2017, 23:20
I tried it in the well respected The Knott (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54247/) in Manchester.

It just didn't work for me. I thought it was crap. I think they may be overthinking it. :evilgrin:

I wouldn't go as far as calling it crap (it's not John Smith's Smooth) but it did have a heavy taste of a New World Hop that I don't really like. If I could remember it I would tell you which one! The two others I tried from them were much better.

ROBCamra
20-12-2017, 13:29
XT Animal Lion London Porter. A lovely, smooth 4.6% porter. Tried in The Baum of course. :cheers: