PDA

View Full Version : Password reset issue

Blackthorn
29-11-2017, 07:41
For some reason my password seems to have changed on the main site, or at least, it’s not what I thought it was. It’s not a problem most of the time as my password is remembered and so I don’t actually have to enter it to log on. Anyway, with a new PC I thought it was time that I got it reset.

When I enter an invalid password I get a message with a link in it to a reset page. Entering my e-mail address there results in me being sent an e-mail with another link in it. Clicking on that should result in a second e-mail with my new password. When I click on that link I go to a web page where it confirms that I will receive a second e-mail, but I never do. I’ve tried a couple of times now, and get the first one but not the second. And no, it’s not in my junk folder.

Any ideas what can be done to fix this?

bcfczuluarmy
30-11-2017, 21:31
My passwords have had an issue for years and the password for the forum is actually the password for main site even though I've never changed it. Have you tried alternative password to log in to main site?

Blackthorn
01-12-2017, 14:31
Yes, tried a few different passwords. Don’t want to try too many in case it locks me out and I can’t even use those diminishing number of devices where I stay logged in. It’s odd as I’m sure I’ve never changed it. I’m not sure if those devices where I don’t need to log in actually keep me logged in (so a password is not required) or whether they remember the password. Doesn’t really make any sense if it’s the latter.

Don’t know if it was related to a change of email address, but I don’t know why it should be since you sign in with a username, not an email address. But ever since I’ve changed it, the number of notifications I get seems very sporadic. None about Al’s recent updates to Bristol pubs for example.

I’ll use the Contact Us option if nobody here has any suggestions.

sheffield hatter
02-12-2017, 22:51
Don’t know if it was related to a change of email address, but I don’t know why it should be since you sign in with a username, not an email address. But ever since I’ve changed it, the number of notifications I get seems very sporadic. None about Al’s recent updates to Bristol pubs for example.

I’ll use the Contact Us option if nobody here has any suggestions.

I sign on to the main site with my email address, but with my user name on the forum.

rpadam
03-12-2017, 08:23
I sign on to the main site with my email address, but with my user name on the forum.
And you can use the same password for both, but if you update one it won't automatically update the other,

Blackthorn
04-12-2017, 18:39

Well, I never you could do that! But I've tried and still no good. Perhaps if my password was working it would have.

And you can use the same password for both, but if you update one it won't automatically update the other,

Yes, I was using the same password on both. Still works on the forum but not the main site.

I've used the Contact Us option now, so hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

Blackthorn
15-12-2017, 12:50
This is getting very frustrating. It seems that the “Contact Us” option doesn’t work any better than the password reset option. It said that I would hear something within five working days which would have been Monday and it’s now Friday. Realistically I’m not going to be doing many more reviews until this is sorted. It’s not practical to do them all at work or on my phone which is the only options I have.

Is this something that Dave needs to look at? Can anyone give him a nudge?

sheffield hatter
15-12-2017, 21:43
Is this something that Dave needs to look at? Can anyone give him a nudge?

I've sent him a personal message. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Blackthorn
15-12-2017, 23:18

Many thanks

Blackthorn
30-12-2017, 17:09

Hi Will. Any news on this? I'm starting to get a backlog of reviews to post.

sheffield hatter
31-12-2017, 20:29
Hi Will. Any news on this? I'm starting to get a backlog of reviews to post.

Sorry, I didn't get a response from Dave to my personal message. This is not unusual. I don't have any other means of contacting him.

rpadam
31-12-2017, 21:52
Any news on this? I'm starting to get a backlog of reviews to post.
I must be missing something, but I notice that you continue to be able to post new photographs under the 'Blackthorn _' username so doesn't that mean you are logged into the main site?

sheffield hatter
31-12-2017, 22:26
I must be missing something, but I notice that you continue to be able to post new photographs under the 'Blackthorn _' username so doesn't that mean you are logged into the main site?

See posts #3 and #7 in this thread.

Blackthorn
31-12-2017, 23:59

Yes, I post photos from my phone where I stay logged in without needing to enter a password. Not really practical to type up long reviews on my phone though.

Blackthorn
01-01-2018, 16:52
Well, it looks as though I have finally got a workaround for this problem. I've tried everything I could think of - obviously using what I thought was my password, requesting a password reset on countless occasions, posting here, using the Contact Us option, using e-mail address to sign in instead of user ID, using an old e-mail address as I changed it a few months ago, using the sign-in with Facebook button (got a Facebook authentication error), PM'ing Dave, SH PM'ing Dave, exporting cookies from an old PC where I stayed logged in and re-importing here and probably some other stuff as well that I've forgotten.

Eventually dug out another old PC where I was also logged in without entering a password. Couldn't find a way to export cookies from Microsoft Edge, but took the Edge option to open the page in IE and exported from there. That creates a txt file (the only option) which I can't import in to Edge on my new PC as it will only process html files. Again, took the option from Edge to open page in IE and imported my txt cookies file from there. So, it now seems as long as I use IE on my new PC I'm sorted.

I have to say the complete lack of help from the admin's on this site is very disappointing. I'm still not really sorted, I don't know what my password is and I'm bound to run in to this problem again at some point. I came over here from BITE as I was so fed up with the lack of any admin/approvals there, but it seems like this site has gone the same way. Perhaps I ought to just stick to Trip Advisor where I already review hotels and restaurants.

Mobyduck
01-01-2018, 18:42
Well, it looks as though I have finally got a workaround for this problem. I've tried everything I could think of - obviously using what I thought was my password, requesting a password reset on countless occasions, posting here, using the Contact Us option, using e-mail address to sign in instead of user ID, using an old e-mail address as I changed it a few months ago, using the sign-in with Facebook button (got a Facebook authentication error), PM'ing Dave, SH PM'ing Dave, exporting cookies from an old PC where I stayed logged in and re-importing here and probably some other stuff as well that I've forgotten.

Eventually dug out another old PC where I was also logged in without entering a password. Couldn't find a way to export cookies from Microsoft Edge, but took the Edge option to open the page in IE and exported from there. That creates a txt file (the only option) which I can't import in to Edge on my new PC as it will only process html files. Again, took the option from Edge to open page in IE and imported my txt cookies file from there. So, it now seems as long as I use IE on my new PC I'm sorted.

I have to say the complete lack of help from the admin's on this site is very disappointing. I'm still not really sorted, I don't know what my password is and I'm bound to run in to this problem again at some point. I came over here from BITE as I was so fed up with the lack of any admin/approvals there, but it seems like this site has gone the same way. Perhaps I ought to just stick to Trip Advisor where I already review hotels and restaurants.

I have to say I am a little surprised by the lack of response/action to your requests.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2018, 19:49
I have to say the complete lack of help from the admin's on this site is very disappointing.

I'm disappointed as well, but unfortunately I and the other people with (very limited) admin roles were not in a position to help due to the (very limited) nature of the access we have. As mentioned before, the only way I and the other Seven Dwarfs have of contacting Snow White is by a personal message on the forum. This is clearly not a satisfactory situation.

I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating time and I'm glad that you've managed some sort of a work around.

Blackthorn
01-01-2018, 21:32
I'm disappointed as well, but unfortunately I and the other people with (very limited) admin roles were not in a position to help due to the (very limited) nature of the access we have. As mentioned before, the only way I and the other Seven Dwarfs have of contacting Snow White is by a personal message on the forum. This is clearly not a satisfactory situation.

I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating time and I'm glad that you've managed some sort of a work around.

Hi Will

Please don’t think this was directed at you. I appreciate you only have limited admin capabilities and I am grateful for the help that you gave me in trying to get this sorted.

Quinno
03-01-2018, 21:29
I have summoned Dave by my magical powers and he should have PM'd you, Blackthorn.

sheffield hatter
03-01-2018, 22:39
I have summoned Dave by my magical powers

Bloody favouritism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFcIXHtHX4), you mean.

Blackthorn
04-01-2018, 10:28
I have summoned Dave by my magical powers and he should have PM'd you, Blackthorn.

Your magic powers are amazing Quinno, thanks very much. I have indeed received a PM from Dave and will try his suggestion tonight when I get home.

Thanks again.

Quinno
05-01-2018, 20:22
Your magic powers are amazing Quinno, thanks very much. I have indeed received a PM from Dave and will try his suggestion tonight when I get home.

Thanks again.

Did it work?

Blackthorn
06-01-2018, 16:49
Did it work?

Yes, although in a slightly roundabout way. But I’ve got my password now which is the main thing. It seems that most, if not all, of the problems were caused by Microsoft supriously rejecting e-mails to it’s services (live, hotmail, etc) rather than any issues here.

As a first fix Dave changed the confirmation panel that you get after clicking on the link in the first email so that it displays your password and you thus don’t need the second email which was the one that I never received. After he did this though I wasn’t even getting the first email! So he then put the link that would have been in the first email in a PM to me. Clicked on that, password displayed, sorted.

Still not receiving hardly any emails from here, but if that’s a Microsoft issue then understandably not much Dave can do. I’ve got an old gmail email address somewhere, I’ll try updating my profile with that at some point.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. Very pleased to have it sorted at last.

Mobyduck
07-01-2018, 17:02
Yes, although in a slightly roundabout way. But I’ve got my password now which is the main thing. It seems that most, if not all, of the problems were caused by Microsoft supriously rejecting e-mails to it’s services (live, hotmail, etc) rather than any issues here.

As a first fix Dave changed the confirmation panel that you get after clicking on the link in the first email so that it displays your password and you thus don’t need the second email which was the one that I never received. After he did this though I wasn’t even getting the first email! So he then put the link that would have been in the first email in a PM to me. Clicked on that, password displayed, sorted.

Still not receiving hardly any emails from here, but if that’s a Microsoft issue then understandably not much Dave can do. I’ve got an old gmail email address somewhere, I’ll try updating my profile with that at some point.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. Very pleased to have it sorted at last.

Don't understand much of the technical stuff there, but all's well that ends well. :)