PDA

View Full Version : Pub reviews: the philosopher's approach

sheffield hatter
09-10-2017, 08:59
This (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6815/) from Ethelred the Unsteady, loosely attached to the Blue Bell in Bolsover. Although more thoughtful and considered than some of his reviews - this one is a revision of the previous effort on the pub - there's still no impression that he's actually visited this particular pub. Is he even having a sly dig at previous reviewers for listing the beers available at the times of their visits? I think he is.

The bulk of the review is speculation about the possible contents of the jukebox back in the 1970s and a reminiscence of "pink-faced, well-scrubbed young coal miners", "the coal-tar miasma from the nearby Coalite works" and "a long-haired man, of bear-like build, [who] would service vehicles, especially sports cars. He didn't bother with jacks, but simply lifted them onto blocks."

To Ethelred, "the beers and the pubs of Merrie England [are] far above some tick-list of products and facilities." ("Merrie England". Good grief.) And he may well be right, but this is a pub guide, and the box in which he has written his contribution is headed "Ethelred The Unsteady left this review about The Blue Bell". To what extent is this a review, and is it actually "about" the Blue Bell? I would say it is not.

Discuss?

NickDavies
09-10-2017, 09:02
Groundhog day?

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?25774-Ethelred-the-Unsteady-s-reviews

Aqualung
09-10-2017, 09:49
I knew I'd seen this before but really couldn't be bothered to trawl through it all to see what has changed. I would avoid the pub on the strength of this load of waffle and the predictable choice of beers from Marstons which he seems to think is completely irrelevant. I've been to Bolsover this year to visit the JDW and felt no need to visit any other pubs.
I hope I never encounter Ethelred in a pub or at least if I do I'll be tired enough to be rapidly sent into a vary deep sleep.

sheffield hatter
09-10-2017, 09:50
Groundhog day?

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?25774-Ethelred-the-Unsteady-s-reviews

Indeed. And it seems he must have read the comments, because (for example) he has now "remembered" the contents of the jukebox so that it wasn't just songs by Lynyrd Skynyrd that were being played back then. :)

NickDavies
09-10-2017, 10:50
I knew I'd seen this before but really couldn't be bothered to trawl through it all to see what has changed. I would avoid the pub on the strength of this load of waffle and the predictable choice of beers from Marstons which he seems to think is completely irrelevant. I've been to Bolsover this year to visit the JDW and felt no need to visit any other pubs.
I hope I never encounter Ethelred in a pub or at least if I do I'll be tired enough to be rapidly sent into a vary deep sleep.

He's probably more interesting than Bite's wondrous Arsenalfan

Aqualung
09-10-2017, 13:51
He's probably more interesting than Bite's wondrous Arsenalfan

That might depend on whether Arsenalfan's posts were a subtle satirical critique of pub reviews from an intellectual giant or a complete load of old cobblers from a half witted buffoon.

Mobyduck
09-10-2017, 16:52
This (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6815/) from Ethelred the Unsteady, loosely attached to the Blue Bell in Bolsover. Although more thoughtful and considered than some of his reviews - this one is a revision of the previous effort on the pub - there's still no impression that he's actually visited this particular pub. Is he even having a sly dig at previous reviewers for listing the beers available at the times of their visits? I think he is.

The bulk of the review is speculation about the possible contents of the jukebox back in the 1970s and a reminiscence of "pink-faced, well-scrubbed young coal miners", "the coal-tar miasma from the nearby Coalite works" and "a long-haired man, of bear-like build, [who] would service vehicles, especially sports cars. He didn't bother with jacks, but simply lifted them onto blocks."

To Ethelred, "the beers and the pubs of Merrie England [are] far above some tick-list of products and facilities." ("Merrie England". Good grief.) And he may well be right, but this is a pub guide, and the box in which he has written his contribution is headed "Ethelred The Unsteady left this review about The Blue Bell". To what extent is this a review, and is it actually "about" the Blue Bell? I would say it is not.

Discuss?

Well I would, but it seem's to have been removed.

sheffield hatter
09-10-2017, 18:19
Well I would, but it seem's to have been removed.

Not me, guv. Must have been one of the other Seven Dwarfs or Snow White.

Mobyduck
09-10-2017, 22:46
Not me, guv. Must have been one of the other Seven Dwarfs or Snow White.

Ah, never trust a dwarf or a virgin. :D

Quinno
09-10-2017, 23:24
That might depend on whether Arsenalfan's posts were a subtle satirical critique of pub reviews from an intellectual giant or a complete load of old cobblers from a half witted buffoon.

The joy of when idiocy meets high satire - impossible to know which is truly which.

Wonder if Carly's recovered yet?

ETA
10-10-2017, 18:10
Ah, never trust a dwarf or a virgin. :D

Sounds like a good slogan for the next Scottish referendum.

Aqualung
11-10-2017, 22:33
As if by magic the review has appeared again. I don't know if it's the same as it was as I'm sick to death of reading it!

Mobyduck
12-10-2017, 05:52
As if by magic the review has appeared again. I don't know if it's the same as it was as I'm sick to death of reading it!

Hmm, a good story, there is a semblance of a review there if you can be bothered pick the bones out of it, personally it doesn't offend me, a little humor doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't get out of control.

sheffield hatter
12-10-2017, 08:36

Hmm, a good story, there is a semblance of a review there if you can be bothered pick the bones out of it, personally it doesn't offend me, a little humor doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't get out of control.

It's been extended and amended (the last three paragraphs are new). It looks to me like Dave has had a word with him, but that's just a guess. He's certainly made a point of making it seem like he's actually visited the pub, and this time he's even named the beers and described the meals. It's good to see that the criticism has been heeded.

Mobyduck
21-10-2017, 13:15
Mr The Unsteady obviously reads these pages . https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31733/ " There's nothing wrong with a little humour so long as it doesn't get out of control" . :)