PDA

View Full Version : The Pub Curmudgeon - Putting the message across

Blog Tracker
06-10-2017, 14:16
Visit The Pub Curmudgeon site (http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2017/10/putting-message-across.html)

Following the launch of Drinkers’ Voice (http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/speaking-up-for-drinkers.html) last month, I’ve been having a few thoughts about the best way to put the message across, and the following points occurred to me.
1. Choose your battleground
There’s certainly an overwhelming body of evidence that moderate drinking produces better health outcomes than total abstention, and this needs shouting from the rooftops. There’s no case for telling moderate or light drinkers to give up entirely for the sake of their health. But the exact mechanism isn’t fully understood, and may have as much to do with psychological as physical factors. It doesn’t mean we should be telling unwilling people to force down a couple of glasses a week for the sake of their health.
Therefore caution is needed over presenting alcohol as a “healthy substance”. It’s fine to say that moderate drinking isn’t incompatible with a generally healthy lifestyle, but going too far to suggest it’s a necessary component of one. And what about all the people, including me and probably you, who knowingly drink a bit more than the minimum point on the J-curve of risk? They deserve representation too. If you fight the public health lobby specifically on the health issue, you are on shaky ground.
Far better to take the line that:

Any health risks are often greatly exaggerated, especially those of exceeding the recommended guidelines even by quite a substantial margin
Intelligent, informed adults are entitled to make their own decisions as to what risks they run in pursuit of enjoymentThere are plenty of other activities that are generally accepted, but are known to carry enhanced risk, such as rugby, horse-riding, mountaineering and (whisper it softly) promiscuous unprotected sex. So long as people’s eyes are open, then why shouldn’t they?

At its core, the defence of people’s right to drink alcohol is one of individual liberty, not one of health.
2. Don’t make needless enemies
Defending drinkers’ rights is a different issue from that of defending smokers. Drinkers’ Voice isn’t an anti-smoking ban campaign. But it can’t be denied that the anti-tobacco campaign is widely seen as a template for that against alcohol, and in the eyes of the public health lobby the tobacco and alcohol industries are lumped together as “toxic trades”.
So special pleading that “alcohol is different from tobacco” isn’t really going to get you anywhere, and is going alienate many people who you really need to get on side. In principle, I have considerable sympathy for the argument that cannabis should be legalised. But campaigners do themselves no favours in enlisting my support by constantly banging on about how it’s actually safer than alcohol.
3. Stand together or hang separately
There have also been the inevitable rumblings of discontent against this within CAMRA. Surely CAMRA’s role should be fighting the big brewers, pubcos and supermarkets rather than lining up alongside them? In the 1970s, when the current anti-alcohol campaign was hardly even a cloud as big as a man’s hand, that was maybe a reasonable attitude to take, but today, when the danger is all too clear, it’s a fatal division. As Churchill is supposed to have said “an appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last”. The public health lobby are completely uninterested in drawing a distinction between pub and home drinking, or between craft beer and alcopops. Either drinkers stand together, or they hang separately.
I’ve written before about how some elements within CAMRA seemed willing to be useful idiots (http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/useful-idiot.html) for the anti-drink lobby. Maybe, going forward, whether or not people are happy to go along with a wider campaign on the issue will be a key indicator of how serious they really are about wanting to defend what they hold dear, or whether they prefer playing divisive games.

More... (http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2017/10/putting-message-across.html)