PDA

View Full Version : Pub of the Month (June)

Conrad
02-06-2010, 15:56
As suggested by RogerB (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2539-Pub-of-the-Month) we will give pub of the month a try. A good place to just chat about interesting pubs you have spotted this month, and maybe at the end of the month suggest which most impressed you. (Links to reviews may be required ;))

hopwas
02-06-2010, 16:50
As suggested by RogerB (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2539-Pub-of-the-Month) we will give pub of the month a try. A good place to just chat about interesting pubs you have spotted this month, and maybe at the end of the month suggest which most impressed you. (Links to reviews may be required ;))

Can I suggest Silk Kite... :whistle:

Strongers
06-06-2010, 15:18
Can I suggest Silk Kite... :whistle:

Only if I can suggest the Duke of Hamilton!

Grailhunter
11-06-2010, 13:02
Well I'm off for a few days in Blackpool on sunday so maybe I'll come across a pub that I will want to nominate for this. Actually thinking about it that's about as likely as North Korea winning the world cup !

Conrad
11-06-2010, 13:05
Glad to see you are so confident! I wouldn't have been so optimistic about Blackpool myself, but when you put it like that.

:whistle:

Alesonly
11-06-2010, 20:06
Well I'm off for a few days in Blackpool on sunday so maybe I'll come across a pub that I will want to nominate for this. Actually thinking about it that's about as likely as North Korea winning the world cup !

Er Yes I agree you may have a Job the only Pub in Blackpool thats in this Years Good Beer Guide is The Auctioneer and thats a Wetherspoons. There was another one a few years ago as well called the Pump & Truncheon but the last time I went there was a few years back and I did not find any outstanding Pubs then.

ROBCamra
12-06-2010, 08:40

Well I visited 57 Thomas Street in Manchester last night. It's the latest bar in the Marble Brewery stable.

Being in the Northern Quarter it's very quirky of course AND it doesn't sell wine or spirits etc just beer. I liked it.

Review to follow.

And here it is.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69847/

Arthurish
19-06-2010, 07:12
I'd like to nominate The Manor Arms in Clapham
Very friendly banter between staff & customers and a good range of real ales.

Arthurish

Alesonly
20-06-2010, 23:09
Ye Olde Mitre At Barnet is My Pub of the month. I went there few months back and there was some very good Ales on and All were in fine condition. What I liked about the Pub it has gone back too how I remember it in its good years. Gone are the TVs and Noisy Gaming Machines and back is good Ale and a traditional Pub with open fire in winter.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14399/

Conrad
21-06-2010, 12:55
I like the idea of this thread but feel like it is missing something. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve it, I am wondering about a vote but guessing we don't know each others pubs?

aleandhearty
21-06-2010, 13:39
I like the idea of this thread but feel like it is missing something. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve it, I am wondering about a vote but guessing we don't know each others pubs?

I think it will come to life this week Conrad, with it being the last week in the month. I've been saving up my nomination, in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely. Therefore, I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/

Maybe the thread might work better as a weekly format? Just a thought.

Grailhunter
21-06-2010, 13:50
I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/

I've been to the Grove a couple of times in the past and have to agree it is a cracking pub and very friendly. In fact i have a friend who lives in north Leeds and considers the Grove his local even though he lives about four miles away.

By the way, as expected and predicted by others I found nowhere in Blackpool worthy of nomination for this award. It really is a dull place pub wise. The Pump and truncheon was a shadow of its former self of a few years back. Only two ales on, no food available and no atmosphere. They were even showing some quiz show on TV instead of the world cup. The best pub I found in Blackpool was the Waterloo hotel, it having a lovely interior, lots of space, history, snooker table and full size bowling green in the garden. Trouble is it had no ale so what could have been a great pub just became an ordinary pub to visit for a coke and a look round.

Conrad
21-06-2010, 13:58
I think it will come to life this week Conrad, with it being the last week in the month. I've been saving up my nomination, in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely. Therefore, I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/

Maybe the thread might work better as a weekly format? Just a thought.
I think the thing is it all feels a little aimless to me. When someone mentions a good beer we may have had it before, or can tend to visualise it if you know beers (so clearly I can't). I find a pub is a little harder to visualise, may just be me though.

aleandhearty
21-06-2010, 14:21
I think the thing is it all feels a little aimless to me. When someone mentions a good beer we may have had it before, or can tend to visualise it if you know beers (so clearly I can't). I find a pub is a little harder to visualise, may just be me though.

I've just gone back to Roger's original thread and can see his argument for a monthly nomination, but maybe there has to be a trade-off there for the idea to work. I think we're all agreed we don't want re-hashed reviews and an in depth analysis of the beer list.

I look at it as being a one sentence shout-out for somewhere that's meant something to me in the last few days, for whatever reason. Thinking out loud, maybe it just tells us something about fellow contributors as much as the pub? I suspect it might need a couple of months to find its feet.

ROBCamra
21-06-2010, 14:36
The best pub I found in Blackpool was the Waterloo hotel, it having a lovely interior, lots of space, history, snooker table and full size bowling green in the garden. Trouble is it had no ale so what could have been a great pub just became an ordinary pub to visit for a coke and a look round.

The Waterloo used to run the No. 1 Crown Green bowling competition in the country.

I have bowled in the Waterloo bowling championship on several occasions. The later rounds used to be shown on TV.

Sadly my greatest achievement was the 2nd Round. :o

Back in the past the Waterloo was a Greenhall Whitley pub and used to serve their Bitter & Mild, but that was quite a few years ago.

Conrad
21-06-2010, 14:45
I definitely think as a thread it would work better as a chatty thread rather than a everyone must name a pub of the month and mark it down in the first post. So you could chat about more than one pub of the month or agree on why various pubs have gone above and beyond.

trainman
21-06-2010, 21:13
Certainly the benefit I'd take from potm nominations/discussions would be the potential to add top pubs to my unvisited mission list, and if that means getting the heads-up on more than one great pub per month from trusted contributors, then so be it.
If you manage to find any trusted contributors, please give me the heads-up on them too!

aleandhearty
22-06-2010, 10:06
I've been to the Grove a couple of times in the past and have to agree it is a cracking pub and very friendly.

If you're ever in the area, let me know. That part of Leeds is becoming a mini real ale crawl in itself. What with The Grove, Midnight Bell, Cross Keys and the newly opened Hop, there's probably about thirty pumps to go at.

ETA
22-06-2010, 16:41
.., in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely...

Same here, but as I'm off on me travels abroad again on Friday, I can't see anything beating The Tap and Splie in Stafford (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34581/) for all-round performance, even though there are better beers, better food and more interesting people in other local pubs - but not necessarily all three together. Excellent beer (though not the best in Stafford), magnificent reception form the locals, great food, all while managing to be just an ordinary, old-fashioned working pub with no pretensions. I make a point of popping in every time I'm in Stafford and I've never been disappointed. Thus, this is my nomination.

hondo
25-06-2010, 09:23
http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ excellent pub and new website :drinkup:

trainman
25-06-2010, 09:47
http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ excellent pub and new website :drinkup:

Yes, I note they have now increased, again, to 10 handpumps offering some very good beers.
Are they using the big plasma for WC games, or maintaining an abstinence from football?

hondo
25-06-2010, 10:24
Yes, I note they have now increased, again, to 10 handpumps offering some very good beers.
Are they using the big plasma for WC games, or maintaining an abstinence from football?

dont know :confused:

trainman
25-06-2010, 10:41
dont know :confused:

In a very impressive response time, I just heard back from Martin saying they decided to remain football-free to maintain the happy departure from the ugly history of the place as the Tram. Understandable.

RogerB
28-06-2010, 12:12
Now back from my travels. Not the best region in the country for pubs or ales but Aberdeen has a few worth visiting which I will write up in due course. The clear favourite for me was the Marine Hotel in Stonehaven. Good ambience, 6 excellent local ales and overlooking a very picturesque harbour. Definately my Pub of the Month.

oldboots
29-06-2010, 18:43
Like RogerB I've also chosen a pub from my recent travels, and there were plenty of excellent pubs to choose from, (Welly/Old Joint Stock in Brum, Anchor/White Swan in Digbeth/ half the pubs in Bridgnorth/ Plough in Worcester etc,etc) BUT the stand out one for me is the Beacon Hotel in Sedgeley, brewery tap of the Sarah Hughes brewery. Excellent beer, proper pub furniture and decor, almost idiot free, not forgetting that weird and wonderful serving arrangement.

Bucking Fastard
30-06-2010, 11:48
Having spent a lot of time boating around Yorkshire in June,rarely have I been in as many pubs in a month and many outstanding ones to boot.Those that top the list are the usual suspects on Kelham Island,The One Eyed Rat in Ripon and Tetley Dave's gaff ,The Shoulder of Mutton in Castleford.But for sheer ale excellence my PoTM for June has to be www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/ The Grove ,Huddersfield.Real ale heaven,I am hard pressed to think of a better boozer.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
07-07-2010, 15:44
Moved this thread to beer of the week forum to archive.

Pubsignman
07-07-2010, 17:11
I forgot about this thread...

My pub of the month goes to Woodies in New Malden. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36021/

A real treasure trove of sporting memorabilia and some fine beer to boot. It was a real headache trying to get there and I very nearly gave up at one point, but it was well worth persevering and I may well find myself making the trek back sooner rather than later.

Other close contenders:

Trafalgar - South Wimbledon.
Ye Old Mitre - Chancery Lane
Old Fountain - Old Street
Southampton Ams - Kentish Town

RogerB
07-07-2010, 17:58
Woodies and the Trafalgar are both high on my must do list, in fact there's quite a few around that bit of the world I need to get to. All the more frustrating since I used to live in the area although that was nearly 30 years ago and I doubt they were as enticing then as they are now.

Pubsignman
07-07-2010, 18:18
Woodies and the Trafalgar are both high on my must do list, in fact there's quite a few around that bit of the world I need to get to. All the more frustrating since I used to live in the area although that was nearly 30 years ago and I doubt they were as enticing then as they are now.

If you make it down to the Trafalgar you should try to check out the nearby Sultan, which is London's only Hop Back pub. I had a very good midweek crawl between those two and the Prince of Wales recently.

Woodies is a bit isolated, but you can get the pub crawl effect by changing tables after each drink, thereby giving yourself a whole new batch of programmes, tickets etc.. to browse through!

RogerB
08-07-2010, 10:59
If you make it down to the Trafalgar you should try to check out the nearby Sultan, which is London's only Hop Back pub. I had a very good midweek crawl between those two and the Prince of Wales recently.

Woodies is a bit isolated, but you can get the pub crawl effect by changing tables after each drink, thereby giving yourself a whole new batch of programmes, tickets etc.. to browse through!

As it happens I have just booked tickets for a gig at the Watershed on Wimbledon Broadway next week so I will hopefully get to the Traf, the Sultan and a couple of others beforehand!

runningdog
09-07-2010, 08:36
Somehow or other I've missed this thread till now. As a nomination thread it just doesn't work for me as nowadays I'm a 'go to the pub a lot' man rather than going to a lot of pubs. Three last week and the same three the week before that, and for all I can remember, the week before that too.:(
Still, it's nice to read comments on pubs by others.....:drinkup::drinkup: