PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 20th August 2017)

ROBCamra
09-08-2017, 14:23
hondo: Tempest The Pale Armadillo
Spinko: Kelham Island- Pale Rider
ETA: Jennings Hop Commotion
Komakino: Turpin Golden Citrus
Bucking Fastard: South Hams Stumble Bee
Mobyduck: Gun Milk Stout
london calling: Pig and Porter Simcoe
Aqualung: Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Wittenden: Pig and Porter Whispering Bob
aleandhearty: Saltaire Galaxy
Real Ale Ray: Mobberley Brewhouse Hedge Hopper
sheffield hatter: Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout
Thuck Phat: Woodfordes Electric IPA
ROBCamra: Lord Chambray Blue Lagoon

hondo
19-08-2017, 17:10
Tempest brewing co - the pale armadillo keg

Spinko
20-08-2017, 05:20
Kelham Island- Pale Rider. In the Poulton Elk.

ETA
20-08-2017, 12:44
Jennings's Hop Commotion in the Fleur de Lis, Stoke-Sub-Hamden (TA14)

Komakino
20-08-2017, 14:25
A beer I'd never had before, by a brewery I'd never heard of, in a pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57948/) that has recently re-opened, which was light, slightly hoppy with fruity notes on the way down, my BOTW (and it's been a while):

Turpin Golden Citrus (4.2%)

Bucking Fastard
20-08-2017, 17:13
Dorset and North London.

Mc Mullens -- Rivertown Brewing Zeppelin
Dartmoor -- Jail Ale
South Hams -- Stumble Bee
Magic Rock -- Inhaler
Timothy Taylor -- Landlord
Purity -- UBU
East London Brewing -- Jamboree

Not the greatest week with some normally reliable brews in poor condition ,so BOTW goes to South Hams Stumble Bee,a refreshing light golden quaffer in The Chetnole Inn. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64023/)

Next week visits to Borough,Southampton Arms and footie should throw up a host of contenders.

Mobyduck
20-08-2017, 19:42
Purity Pure Gold
Hopback GFB
Harvistoun Bitter and Twisted
Marstons 61 Deep
Fullers Beachcomber
Salopian Shropshire Gold
Burning Sky Plateau
Gun Pale Ale
Gun Milk Stout

The Hands down Winner is Gun Milk Stout enjoyed in the Antelope (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53206/) earlier this evening.

london calling
20-08-2017, 20:06
Stayed local ,drank pints and only drank known entities. Was rewarded with some crackers
marcopaulo-ipa
marcopaulo-genius stout
five points -xpa
siren-yu lu
Bristol beer factory -milk stout
drank something in the Express tavern that was very good but cant remember what
BOTW was
pig and porter -simcoe 4.2 (haven't had a bad beer from this brewery yet)

london calling
20-08-2017, 20:11
Dorset and North London.

Mc Mullens -- Rivertown Brewing Zeppelin
Dartmoor -- Jail Ale
South Hams -- Stumble Bee
Magic Rock -- Inhaler
Timothy Taylor -- Landlord
Purity -- UBU
East London Brewing -- Jamboree

Not the greatest week with some normally reliable brews in poor condition ,so BOTW goes to South Hams Stumble Bee,a refreshing light golden quaffer in The Chetnole Inn. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64023/)

Next week visits to Borough,Southampton Arms and footie should throw up a host of contenders.

Not impressed with the beer in the Southampton.Always sees a bit lifeless.Be interested in your thoughts after your visit.I know you like the pub.The re-opened Dartmouth Arms is a 5 min walk away if you get time. You may need cheering up after the Palace match cheers john

Aqualung
20-08-2017, 20:51
This week saw a rampage around Scottish JDWs and one proper pub.

Strathaven Clydesdale IPA 3.8%
Strathaven Duchess Anne 3.9%
Broughton Clipper IPA 4.2%
Redcastle Nobleman 4.2%
Orkney Dark Island 4.5%
Kelburn Dark Moor 4.5%
Kelburn Jaguar 4.5%
Inveralmond Lia Fail 4.7%
Stewart Edinburgh Gold 4.8%
Atlas (Orkney) Nimbus 5.0%
Green King Abbot 5.0%
Burton Bridge Battle Brew 5.0%
Tring Colley's Dog 5.2%
Calt Bleddyn (BABOTW) 5.2%
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA 5.9%
Oakham Green Devil (Bottle) 6.0%

I didn't find a single Scottish beer that impressed, they were all pedestrian.
The best by a mile was the Jaipur (£2.75) at the Sir John Moore JDW outside Glasgow Central Station. It was better here than anywhere else I've tried it.
The runner up was the old school Burton Bridge Battle Brew.

BOTW Thornbridge Jaipur IPA

Wittenden
20-08-2017, 21:05
Kent
An aged Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter was eclipsed by Pig and Porter Whispering Bob IPA 6.5% Murky from a can, and by Time and Tide All in Jim APA 5.4%, also from a murky can.
As a point of information, do either of these count as real ale?
My BOTW-Pig and Porter Whispering Bob.

Aqualung
20-08-2017, 21:29
Kent
An aged Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter was eclipsed by Pig and Porter Whispering Bob IPA 6.5% Murky from a can, and by Time and Tide All in Jim APA 5.4%, also from a murky can.

That depends on who you ask! If you enjoyed them does it really matter? They obviously weren't anything like Whitbread Tankard or Double Diamond.

Bucking Fastard
20-08-2017, 21:40
Not impressed with the beer in the Southampton.Always sees a bit lifeless.Be interested in your thoughts after your visit.I know you like the pub.The re-opened Dartmouth Arms is a 5 min walk away if you get time. You may need cheering up after the Palace match cheers john

Thanks for the steer about The Dartmouth Arms,it seem churlish not to pop in on Friday given it's so close.I've had a few mixed sessions in The Southampton Arms in the past ,so glad there's an alternative close by if there is a problem.Drowning my sorrows often takes place around Borough Market ,so the Rake's till may well get a boost !

london calling
21-08-2017, 19:37
Kent
My BOTW-Pig and Porter Whispering Bob.

Had about 10 cask beers from Pig and Porter and they are never murky so possibly can conditioned.Only had one from Time and Tide same one as you but it was keg version.Quite a few brewers are doing can conditioned (real ale) in tins but the problem is you cant see when to stop pouring so you don't get the yeast in your beer or see when it has settled clear like a bottled beer.Not a problem for me as I pour it all in.Waste not want not. cheers

aleandhearty
22-08-2017, 11:51
Slim pickings, this week.

Jolly Boys - Collier Porter.
Jolly Boys - Blonde.
Fernandes - Hazelnut & Coffee Porter.
Saltaire - Galaxy.*
Fixed Wheel - Through & Off.
Riverhead - Liquorice Latte Stout.*

Very close between the Galaxy and the Latte Stout, but the Saltaire just shades it on sheer drinkability.

Wittenden
22-08-2017, 13:02
Had about 10 cask beers from Pig and Porter and they are never murky so possibly can conditioned.Only had one from Time and Tide same one as you but it was keg version.Quite a few brewers are doing can conditioned (real ale) in tins but the problem is you cant see when to stop pouring so you don't get the yeast in your beer or see when it has settled clear like a bottled beer.Not a problem for me as I pour it all in.Waste not want not. cheers

I'm not fussed by a bit of yeast!

Real Ale Ray
22-08-2017, 18:51
Mobberley Brewhouse - Hedge Hopper

sheffield hatter
22-08-2017, 20:26
Some cycling in the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales last week was lubricated by these beers:

Black Sheep Bitter
Theakstons Old Peculier (both cask and bottled)
Grey Hawk Pippin (formerly Copper Dragon Golden Pippin, I believe)
Cropton Yorkshire Moors (both cask and bottled)
Camerons Strongarm (not in very good condition, unfortunately)
Wychwood Hoppleganger (the first beer I've come across from the Marstons stable of which I've actually decided to buy a second pint)
Yorkshire Dales Leyburn Shawl (insipid lagerish drink)
Wensleydale Moorcock Show 100th Anniversary Ale (looked and tasted like Black Sheep Bitter)
T Taylor Boltmaker
Thwaites Nutty Black
Dark Horse Craven Bitter
Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout
T Taylor Dark Mild
Rudgate Ruby Mild
Heavy Industry Forza
Guinness Antwerpen (bottle from Tesco)
Revolutions Switch #3
Weetwood Eastgate

There are three, no make that four, I tell a lie: five that stand out: Thwaites Nutty Black 3.3% in superb condition at the Lister Arms in Malham (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54441/); Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout 4.9% at Early Doors micropub in Skipton (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83890/); Rudgate Ruby Mild 4.4% reliably drinkable at the Leeds Brewery Tap; Theakstons Old Peculier 5.6% (at the Lion on Blakey Ridge (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43590/), among others: when cycling, refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach); and Guinness Antwerpen 8%. The last named was reduced to only £1.68 for 330ml at my local Tesco. Yummy!

BOTW Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout 4.9% Smooth, sophisticated, full of flavour yet gluggably understated - if I hadn't had a train to catch I'd still be there drinking it now.

Thuck Phat
26-08-2017, 07:28
Late entry after a ramble in Norfolk:

Norfolk Brewhouse Amber Ale
Woodfordes Wherry
Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge*
Woodfordes Electric IPA*
Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale
Adnams Ghost Ship
Brancaster Oystercatcher*

BOTW Woodfordes Electric IPA thoroughly enjoyed at the Albatross (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78171/) on a warm afternoon.
I'm not sure that it fully deserves the IPA moniker but it's a very drinkable, gently hoppy and refreshing 4.5% number which was perfect for the occasion.

ROBCamra
03-09-2017, 14:08
There's a brewery on Gozo called Lord Chambray that has recently started kegging their beer.

I had a few of theirs over our 2 weeks but the best was Blue Lagoon.

It's definitely a copy of Blue Moon, but it went down very nicely in the 38 degree heat in 67 Kapital in Valletta.:cheers: