PDA

View Full Version : The World cup chit chat thread

Conrad
01-06-2010, 13:50
Figure we are likely to be chatting a bit about this now, so a 3rd thread can't hurt :)

Starting this with the proviso that I barely watch anything but Bristol City matches, but can anyone explain to me why Walcott has been left out of the squad (and while you are at it feel free to explain why he was included in the last World Cup squad).

hopwas
01-06-2010, 13:53
can anyone explain to me why Walcott has been left out of the squad (and while you are at it feel free to explain why he was included in the last World Cup squad).

Ermmm.. we had different managers I guess.

Gann
01-06-2010, 13:56
I don't think it's been officially anounced yet but if Capello does leave Walcott out it's because he has an eye to history...

When England won in 1966 there wasn't a single Ars* player in the squad.
When England got to the semis in 1990 there wasn't a single Ars* player in the squad.

Now to me, that's a pattern...

RogerB
01-06-2010, 13:57
Figure we are likely to be chatting a bit about this now, so a 3rd thread can't hurt :)

can anyone explain to me why Walcott has been left out of the squad.

As we like to sing at him down the Lane, "you're just a sh1t Aaron Lennon..."

Conrad
01-06-2010, 13:59
:D

I really should have paid attention to the fact that you all support other London clubs shouldn't I.

RogerB
01-06-2010, 14:07
To be fair, even a lot of Ars*nal fans are less than praiseworthy about him. He is one of those annoying players that certainly has the skill and ability but doesn't show it consistently enough. Despite the statistics in his favour, Huddlestone is another who doesn't do enough on a consistent basis to land a seat on the plane so I expect him to be one of the others down Thomas Cook tomorrow booking a couple of weeks in Skegness.

Conrad
01-06-2010, 14:13
Again, haven't seen enough of any of them to really know, but he strikes me as the sort of player who can turn a match when it isn't all going your way, very nice to have on the bench. From the little I have seen preferred him to Lennon and Wright-Phillips.

Now off to hide in the PuG bomb shelter.

Pubsignman
01-06-2010, 15:40
He is one of those annoying players that certainly has the skill and ability but doesn't show it consistently enough.

That's a pretty acurate description of any winger with a bit of pace, or certainly the ones I've been subjected to at Dean Court over the years.

I thought Walcott might get the nod as his versatility means he can be moved up front if required.

As for no Arsenal players in Italia '90, wasn't David Seaman the third choice keeper?

Gann
01-06-2010, 15:46
As for no Arsenal players in Italia '90, wasn't David Seaman the third choice keeper?

Ah yes, Factually you are correct, although he didn't get a kick..

To be completely accurate it should be there were no Arsenal outfield players in the Italia 90 squad..

But, as we say in marketing, why let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Conrad
01-06-2010, 16:26
Well the full squad is out then:

ENGLAND'S 2010 WORLD CUP SQUAD:
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney
Reading that I am not feeling inspired to be honest

hopwas
01-06-2010, 16:30
Not happy with Emile Heskey being included. I wanted Zamora but he is injured. If he was fit then I would happly swap Heskey with Zamora

Conrad
01-06-2010, 16:39
Well I would have been going for Nicky Maynard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsfGkrqDQk) ahead of Heskey. Or at a push Bent, I am guessing it is for the experience.

hopwas
01-06-2010, 16:42
Well I would have been going for Nicky Maynard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsfGkrqDQk) ahead of Heskey.

Naturally coming from Bristol City fan... :rolleyes:

Conrad
01-06-2010, 16:43
That has nothing to do with it :whistle:

hopwas
01-06-2010, 16:53
That has nothing to do with it :whistle:

:rolleyes:

Really? :whistle:

Evil Gazebo
01-06-2010, 16:58
It isn't just because I'm a Sunderland supporter that I feel sympathy for Darren Bent. Wasn't he top English scorer in Premiership in 2005/06 season while at Charlton? Then last season he finishes just behind Drogba and Rooney with 24 goals, playing for a team who finished in the bottom half. Bent must wonder just what he has to do to get picked. Probably play for a "big" club.

trainman
01-06-2010, 17:11
I don't understand why Carrick is in. He's not been trialled that much, has he(?), and every time the ball came to him vs Mexico he passed it to the opposition or out of play.
I think SWP can count himself very fortunate, he's been marginalised at City (esp since Adam Johnson's arrival) but, moreover, he is far from the player he used to be before being ruined by Chelsea (in performance and attitude).
Glen Johnson must be a weak link. Forget his recent friendly goal - I'm more concerned about the number of times he is completely AWOL with opposition attacking acres of space down his flank while he's still coming back from their half.
Heskey? No-one has understood that persistence for a long time - can only think that Rooney puts in a word each time and the stats, as mentioned, are surprising.
King? Used to have a lot of time for him, and he keeps being wheeled on to perform well for spurs, but why oh why are we taking someone to the WORLD CUP!!! who cannot even train? And who looked overweight and slow vs mex? And especially when I don't believe Ferdinand is fit. He is also too error prone anyway these days, for me.

Right, if that doesn't win it for us, I don't know what will...

Conrad
01-06-2010, 17:19
And to think I only wasn't inspired when I posted it, now heading towards pretending I am American.

Oggwyn Trench
01-06-2010, 18:08
Saw a lot of Joe Hart when he was at Shrewsbury , good shot stopper but can be dodgy on long range efforts

Strongers
01-06-2010, 23:38
I want to know where our world cup song is.. a rehash of three lions, do me a favour... I want Vindaloo, chicken doner and onion gravy with a little self preservation - you were only supposed to blow the bloody net off!

'I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge
Cry God for Harry, England and St George!'

English by the grace of god and all that palaver.

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 23:41
I think we should have sent West Auckland FC again (google it if unsure what the hell i am babbling about) - at least we may like half of our own players then

RogerB
01-06-2010, 23:51
A few surprises for me. I thought Baines would get the nod simply because he has the recent experience. Warnock is untried so it is a weak area and a gamble whichever way it goes. I feel sorry for Dawson (Spurs player of the year) - thought he would get a chance in the last 2 games and even edge out King but it wasn't to be. King is versatile (has played everywhere across the back 4 for Spurs as well as midfield) but I can't see him getting a game unless Ferdinand/Terry are either injured or suspended. Thought Bent would get in over Defoe as well since Defoe has had a poor end to the season. I really like Adam Johnson but the competition has probably come too soon - one to watch next season and he should be given a decent shout once the WC is over. I'm not too convinced we have a squad capable of going all the way unless the draw is kind. We can beat any good team on the day but we will need to do it 2 or maybe 3 times and I don't think we have the strength in depth to pull it off.

gillhalfpint
01-06-2010, 23:51
I had a beer brewed for West Auckland FC but cannot remember what it was called. Had when back up north visiting son.

Millay
03-06-2010, 21:31
The England squad numbers have been announced tonight and it looks like numbers 1-11 are a pretty good indication of what Capello’s preferred starting line up would be. I imagine they’ve given Gareth Barry No.14 just in case he doesn’t make it.

1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

Soup Dragon
03-06-2010, 23:02
West Auckland did it without substitutes - bah!

RogerB
04-06-2010, 13:03
The England squad numbers have been announced tonight and it looks like numbers 1-11 are a pretty good indication of what Capello’s preferred starting line up would be.

Well No 5 is already crocked! Currently in hospital having a knee scan after a training incident on Day 1!

Grailhunter
04-06-2010, 13:18
Well No 5 is already crocked! Currently in hospital having a knee scan after a training incident on Day 1!

Apparently you're allowed to call up a replacement before your first game with FIFA permission. Time to send for Dawson then. In my humble opinion I think he's a better player than Ferdinand anyway.

Millay
04-06-2010, 13:54
Apparently you're allowed to call up a replacement before your first game with FIFA permission. Time to send for Dawson then. In my humble opinion I think he's a better player than Ferdinand anyway.
Might need two, I heard a whisper that Lennon was having a problem with his groin (could have understood if it was Cole or JT). Probably just a rumour though.

The Ferdinand issue looks to be a bit more serious though if Capello is already talking about a replacement. I wonder who the armband would go to, it should really be JT but suspect it will go to professional Scouser Stevie G.

Evil Gazebo
04-06-2010, 15:05
Didier Drogba has broken his arm in the warm-up game against Japan today. That's the Ivory Coast's chances gone from slim to zero, then.

Conrad
04-06-2010, 15:43
I see Ferdinand now confirmed as out. Fairly indifferent to that from what I have seen of his recent form.

Also I am missing your old Avatar EG, I did like your actual Evil Gazebo :)

Evil Gazebo
04-06-2010, 15:52
Fear not, Conrad, it will make its reappearance when Paraguay are knocked out - which will probably be when Holland beat them in the 2nd round...

RogerB
04-06-2010, 15:58
And probably Dawson to replace him - that's 5 Spurs in the squad :) and none of them are Jenas or Huddlestone :):). I'm gonna get some mileage out of this :):):)

Millay
04-06-2010, 16:25
I see Ferdinand now confirmed as out.
I knew it was a mistake to take Heskey, apparently it was he that crocked Rio.

Conrad
04-06-2010, 16:31
Isn't there the counter argument that he has already done his part for the squad? ;)

hopwas
04-06-2010, 17:06

He has done a favour for us English... :whistle:

Dawson would be much better replacement..

trainman
04-06-2010, 19:16
Does that (captaincy) now make Stevie G an automatic starter? If Barry is fit, does he also start with Gerrard moving back to the left to accommodate the SG-FL conundrum? An unconsidered option I heard suggested was Gerrard to partner Rooney - any thoughts? They could both play each other in but Rooney would have to play up front whereas he also likes to drop off & make runs himself.

Either way, if Gerrard succumbs to any malaise, who would be next for the armband? Barry to lift the cup? Come on!

Millay
06-06-2010, 08:02
If Barry is fit, does he also start with Gerrard moving back to the left to accommodate the SG-FL conundrum? An unconsidered option I heard suggested was Gerrard to partner Rooney - any thoughts?
If Barry is fit and playing the holding role then that gives Gerrard and Lampard the freedom to go forward. If not, and if Capello plays 4-4-2, then I’d imagine Gerrard playing the more defensive role of the two. As you say the alternative is to play a 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard sitting just behind Rooney as he’s done with Torres. I can see this formation being used in some of the games, although I think Capello will generally start with Rooney and Crouch up front.

Another concern must be the willingness of Johnson and Cole to get forward leaving Terry and King/Carragher exposed at the back. Not the quickest CB pairing in the World Cup I’d suggest.

This, posted on the BBC site, suggests Monday’s warm-up game might provide a few clues.

England play a warm-up game against local side Platinum Stars at the Moruleng Stadium near Sun City on Monday.
And despite losing Ferdinand, Capello has pledged to play all of his first XI for the opener against the States in that friendly.
"I have to play all the players that will play against the USA for 45 minutes or 60 minutes," said Capello. "I don't know if it is a major risk. I touch wood."

RogerB
07-06-2010, 15:31
If anyone's bored at work, the England v Platinum Stars match is live on the BBC Sport web page. No commentary, just a permanent drone of vuvuzelas!

Conrad
07-06-2010, 15:50
If anyone's bored at work, the England v Platinum Stars match is live on the BBC Sport web page. No commentary, just a permanent drone of vuvuzelas!
As I get there just in time for the half time warm ups.

RogerB
07-06-2010, 15:52
You haven't missed much. All the action was in the first 5 mins (Defoe's goal and their missed penalty). Unfortunately there weren't any pictures at the time! Once the picture came up it was very pedestrian.

Conrad
07-06-2010, 16:18
I quite like the new bits on the beeb though, you can click at the bottom and see the missed penalty and goal.

Evil Gazebo
07-06-2010, 16:32
It's on Sky Sports News, too. Rooney only appeared at half-time, and has already managed to get booked for dissent, and generally charged about as if this is the final itself, rather than a pointless kickabout.

Soup Dragon
07-06-2010, 16:53
those bloody horns, the real matches are going to be a nightmare

good old heskey missed again

trainman
07-06-2010, 17:47
Rooney only appeared at half-time, and has already managed to get booked for dissent, and generally charged about

Yep, yet another reminder, to those fools who claim otherwise, that our Wayne has NOT become the fully mature player they claim. Didn't see all the coverage but rash tackles were mentioned; the last thing England need is Rooney losing the plot when the action proper begins.

those bloody horns, the real matches are going to be a nightmare

Agreed they seem annoying, but haven't we had other tournaments where air-horns are being sounded constantly?
Hopefully they'll seem less invasive when there's some commentary or a noisy pub to lessen the impact...

Evil Gazebo
07-06-2010, 19:49
Gareth Barry will miss USA game, according to Sky Sports News.

Soup Dragon
07-06-2010, 21:46

He should leave a message on our thread - where will you be watching the England v USA game!

The trouble with the horns EG is that there were only 12,000 in that stadium tonight - imagine what it will be like with 40,000!

hopwas
07-06-2010, 21:55
He should leave a message on our thread - where will you be watching the England v USA game!

The trouble with the horns EG is that there were only 12,000 in that stadium tonight - imagine what it will be like with 40,000!

Even worse 94,000 at Soccer City...

Soup Dragon
07-06-2010, 22:05
well get them blowing - i have just done my 1000th review and only 896 of them were closed pubs!

hopwas
07-06-2010, 22:15
i have just done my 1000th review and only 896 of them were closed pubs!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Congratulations on your 1000th review.

Not too long to go before you become our 3rd PuG forumer with 1,000+ posts after Conrad and me.

Maldenman
07-06-2010, 22:41
I hate air horns at football and thankfully they are banned articles at my club (Altrincham). If we could also find a reason or way to ban drums too the football watching experience would improve. Decent atmosphere can be created without these implements.

trainman
07-06-2010, 23:10
Decent atmosphere can be created without these implements.
True, but I was not far from the England orchestra in Toulouse in '98, and they were almost solely responsible for keeping the spirits up in the capitulation to Romania - at least they play largely in tune, but the team didn't manage a great escape.

Millay
08-06-2010, 06:21
Apparently he'll be going to watch his brother play in goal for the Ivory Coast

Conrad
08-06-2010, 15:59
And Google are having a little fun if you search for World Cup (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=world+cup). Scroll to the bottom of the screen and spot the difference.

hopwas
08-06-2010, 16:12
And Google are having a little fun if you search for World Cup (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=world+cup). Scroll to the bottom of the screen and spot the difference.

Nice touch by Google!

Also I liked their Pacman version couple of weeks ago.. where you can play Pacman on their serach page..

Evil Gazebo
08-06-2010, 16:25
This is my kind of fantasy football game (http://www.twatball.co.uk/?item=rules)

Conrad
09-06-2010, 18:15
I follow a rather nice photo blog, today's theme is the World Cup though (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/preparing_for_the_world_cup.html).

hopwas
09-06-2010, 18:34
I follow a rather nice photo blog, today's theme is the World Cup though (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/preparing_for_the_world_cup.html).

Beautiful pics! Loved number 27.

Crossste
10-06-2010, 11:43
Just to add more interest to the World Cup, as if the actual games and the prediction tourny (i was to late for the sweep) are not enough does anybody on here have bet on it. Not on whose going to win, who will be top scorer or just the England matches but on every game. I usually do to give the lesser games a bit more interest.

The bet i do on every game is h/t team A f/t team B and then reverse them. In my case being the last of the big spenders i do a pound on each. So £2 per match. Given that you can get odds of usually 25-1 plus, depending which bookie, i usually have a free WC/EC only doing my dosh on the final if there is owt left in the kitty.

Obviously if it is a draw at h/t the bet is down but at least you get 45 minuets.

trainman
10-06-2010, 12:08
i usually have a free WC/EC

Gotta say I'm surprised that those bets get you level by the end of the tournament as the number of HT draws and (I imagine) rarity of teams overcoming a HT deficit to win, and then the fact that in each match half your stake (the hedge, if you like) automatically has to go down, all contribute to potential misery. BUT, I fully understand the added frisson which a flutter can bring so, I'd advise opening an online account with betfair - their odds are always better and, in the case of 'longshots', usually considerably more so.

Sampling the opening 2 matches, Ladbrokes have HT/FT Win-Lose & Lose-Win all at 25/1, whereas betfair show 33/1 & 33/1 (game1) and 29/1 & 37/1 (game2) - even with a 5% deduction on winning bets, the odds are much better.

Good luck!

Crossste
10-06-2010, 14:01
Hi TM i will give betfair a try.

Perhaps i should have been a bit more precise in my post. Some of the matches in the group stages i only do one way i.e. i would do Australia h/t Germany f/t but not reverse this one as the chances of Germany throwing away a lead to a draw or loss is most unlikely.

I seem to think in 2006 i had £7 to fritter in the final but iirc the odds seemed more generous. Casting my mind back to 2002 i am sure you could get odds around 40s and a bit more in certain matches. I seem to think 3 matches in your favour put you in a break even or slight win position. I could be wrong.

Millay
10-06-2010, 21:20
I'd advise opening an online account with betfair - their odds are always better and, in the case of 'longshots', usually considerably more so.
I'd agree that longer shot odds are invariably better with Betfair.

Bet365 have also got a decent offer on with a 100% bonus on first deposit. You can get up to £200 bonus assuming you intend doing a fair bit of betting. I’ve gone into a syndicate with a few mates and opened an account.

Millay
10-06-2010, 21:39
I’ve done a few bets so far, mainly forecasts on the group finishing positions and some bets on the early games (hoping for a 1-1 in the France Uruguay game).

Also done some silly bets on top scorer for some of the minnows. I reckon for those teams that are only going to play three games and probably won’t score many goals there’s some value in backing defenders to be top scorer. So I’ve had a little punt on the likes of Bougherra for Algeria at 66/1, Izzaguire of Honduras at 70/1 and Chipperfield of the USA at 40/1. Also has a cheeky 50p on the Nigeria keeper being their top scorer at 200/1 when I found that he takes penalties for his club team. Just need all their forwards to break down and for them to be awarded three penalties and I could be in the money :pray:

trainman
11-06-2010, 11:30
I suppose there'll be various offers, so shop around according to your proposed bet, especially if it's a wedge. Example just in from totesport

Correct Score Moneyback on every World Cup game
We’ll refund losing Correct Score bets if the match ends at the nominated score:**

South Africa v Mexico – Correct Score refunds if Mexico win 2-0
Uruguay v France - Correct Score refunds if France win 2-1
South Korea v Greece - Correct Score refunds if Greece win 1-0
Argentina v Nigeria - Correct Score refunds if Argentina win 2-1
England v USA - Correct Score refunds if England win 2-1

Don't lose out to an injury-time goal
We'll pay out on the Correct Score and Last Goalscorer as the clock strikes 90 minutes plus at the end of injury time, if different, on all World Cup games.***

Crossste
11-06-2010, 12:56
Just done my reverse h/t f/t times for tonight SA h/t Meheeco f/t 33/1 reversed 35/1. Uruguay h/t France f/t 25/1 reversed 40/1.

Diego O-O-O-O, he came from Uruguay to make the Frenchies cry, Diego O-O-O-O. Tonight is payback time for all the time i paid to watch him miss a cows buttocks with a banjo.

Evil Gazebo
11-06-2010, 14:49
My bets so far:

South Africa - Mexico to finish 1-1; no goalscorer in the Uruguay - France game; a double on both matches to finish in a draw

Robin van Persie to be top goalscorer (e/w)

Holland to win World Cup

Paraguay to win Group F

Crossste
11-06-2010, 15:21
15 mins into the first game and i have had to hit the mute button. the noise from the vuvuzelas is a PITA.

Evil Gazebo
11-06-2010, 17:08
My bets so far:

South Africa - Mexico to finish 1-1...

YESSSS!!! That's me off to a profitable start. Now if we can just have a nice stalemate tonight I will cop for the double as well.

Evil Gazebo
11-06-2010, 17:16
15 mins into the first game and i have had to hit the mute button. the noise from the vuvuzelas is a PITA.

I have to agree. Before the game I was hoping all the stories of the noise made by the vuvuzelas were exaggerated, but they are horrible. Not only the noise itself, which made the SA Mexico game sound like it was being played while a herd of elephants were being stung to death by a swarm of angry bees somewhere in the stadium, but they drown out any other crowd noise. So where normally when, say, a team burst forward out of defence, you get that loud roar of anticipation, all you hear is that bloody drone. I just hope it's only going to be like that for the South Africa games.

Strongers
11-06-2010, 17:28
I have to agree. Before the game I was hoping all the stories of the noise made by the vuvuzelas were exaggerated, but they are horrible. Not only the noise itself, which made the SA Mexico game sound like it was being played while a herd of elephants were being stung to death by a swarm of angry bees somewhere in the stadium, but they drown out any other crowd noise. So where normally when, say, a team burst forward out of defence, you get that loud roar of anticipation, all you hear is that bloody drone. I just hope it's only going to be like that for the South Africa games.

They irritated me too... I can't see any other fans adopting them though.. well I hope not!

I had 2 : 1 to Mexico and thought I was going to be in the money when they equalized.

Dave M
11-06-2010, 17:29
I just hope it's only going to be like that for the South Africa games.
Thing is that the majority of the crowd is likely to be South Africans at most games and I'm sure they'll feel obliged to make some noise.

Looking forward to hearing thousands of English fans no doubt trying to play the Great Escape theme using them. Hopefully they'll give up on that fairly quickly!

hopwas
11-06-2010, 17:35
I enjoyed watching S.A Vs Mexico. Great strike by South Africa and nearly ripped goal net apart! Poor defending by South Africa which lead to Mexico's goal. S.A should have won the game if it wasn't for post in dying minutes..

Already looking forward to France Vs Uruguay match. I'll go for Uruguay win because France is in bit disarray and low confidence.

Dave M
11-06-2010, 17:37
France is in bit disarray and low confidence.

I'm sure when it matters France will be able to handle it :whistle:

hopwas
11-06-2010, 17:41
I'm sure when it matters France will be able to handle it :whistle:

Their infamous disaster in 2002 where they were defending champions..

Lost to Sengal
Drew with Uruguay
Lost to Denmark

Out of world cup in first stage.

They did recover well in 2006 and just missed out the glory in final. Shame about Zindane's headbutt...

This year, they got in World Cup with helping "hand" of Henry..

Evil Gazebo
11-06-2010, 18:41
I enjoyed watching S.A Vs Mexico. Great strike by South Africa and nearly ripped goal net apart! Poor defending by South Africa which lead to Mexico's goal. S.A should have won the game if it wasn't for post in dying minutes..

Already looking forward to France Vs Uruguay match. I'll go for Uruguay win because France is in bit disarray and low confidence.

Yeah, I found it very enjoyable for an opening match, after a slow start, despite the background noise. Both teams were keen to attack, but looked dodgy at the back. Mexico in particular seemed to have a tactic of sending their full-backs bombing up the pitch at every opportunity without anyone to cover. In fact, for large periods of the game, they didn't appear to have a left-back at all, as far as I could tell, such was the space Steven Pienaar was in whenever he got the ball on the right.

Ah well, only 63 games to go.

Andy Ven
11-06-2010, 18:58
I heard on the radio this morning that Argos shifted loads of TVs for the 2006 World Cup so they stockpiled them in anticipation of more of the same this time around but it hasn't materialised. Does this mean that bargains are to be had?

trainman
12-06-2010, 11:43
fyi, if anyone is getting involved tonight, I just got this notification from Victor Chandler...

Open exclusively to UK and Ireland residents we have a great offer on ALL England's matches throughout the 2010 World Cup. If Wayne Rooney scores the last goal of the match, we'll refund ALL losing bets on that match as a FREE BET!*

Evil Gazebo
12-06-2010, 11:49
My bets so far:

South Africa - Mexico to finish 1-1; no goalscorer in the Uruguay - France game; a double on both matches to finish in a draw

Woo-hoo

hopwas
12-06-2010, 12:08
Last night, France Vs Uruguay was really poor game and I think there was only 2 shots for Uruguay in entire game. Already we have our first sending off and I thought it was correct decision by Japanese ref.

Now for our old enemies.. Argentina Vs Nigeria.. should be cracker

Crossste
12-06-2010, 12:10
Well done EG.

While i am here i thought the refs/linesmen were excellent last night. The one that the linesman got for the offside when the keeper was in front of the "goalscorer" was a good spot. One i know they should get right but in the hype of the first match he did well.

They will always be linesmen to me.

arwkrite
12-06-2010, 14:24
In a packed local pub I think only myself and two others showed enough interest to watch all the France v Uruguay match.I had a feeling it was going to be a match with no goals. But what the heck do I know.
Tonight..knowing Englands slow start to all tournaments I think it my be be boring, or one of those where England get surprised that the opposition had the effrontery to score before they did.This is then followed by a mad panic and much chewing of finger nails.I am just hoping the weather holds up for the barbecue and enough beer is provided.

aleandhearty
12-06-2010, 17:00
Well, my team's off to a flying start, losing 2-0 to S.Korea. :D Hopefully, Holland will do a little better on Monday.

arwkrite
13-06-2010, 09:32
Not being a died in the wool England fan blinded by nationalistic fervour I found last nights efforts much as expected.. in other words not brilliant. At least we did not loose is the kindest thing I can say.The style of play was very similar which is only to be expected since the majority of the US players are signed to English clubs. I think England will do as normal and do the least possible to get through the early rounds underestimating the opposition as they go.

How many HD TVs were sold on the basis of seeing the World Cup that much better ? Only for ITV HD Channel to suffer a transmission loss and for viewers to miss the first England goal of this years World Cup.
The language was enough to hear at our private party. I dread to think what it was like in a dedicated, packed to the gunnels sports bar in deepest chav territory.:eek:

oldboots
13-06-2010, 09:35
Dear Deidrie,
I was in a pub yesterday lunchtime, the TV was off, in the small tap room the assorted punters were two middle aged couples having lunch, myself and another older man and an elderly couple. The landlady entered the room turned on the TV and turned down the sound with the words "sorry ladies, but it has to be" then bustled off. No-one had actually asked her to turn it on and personally I thought her comment rather sexist. The diners finished their meals and left while the four of us continued our conversation. Eventually someone else wandering in, sat at the bar and had a passing interest in the SKO v GK(?) or someone game, even though I don't think either town is in Yorkshire. By the way the other bar, the one without a TV, was full.

I have no idea why the telly was on, can you help? :confused:

Conrad
13-06-2010, 09:41
What, "it has to be" is not reason enough?

Or are you just after the gentleman's reason? (with added expletives?)

hopwas
13-06-2010, 10:13
Ouch, my head!

Anyway, it was some sort of mixed feelings in The Fox last night.. Ecstatic to disappointment in 37 mins. When Gerrard scored beauty, The Fox erupted (even 3 women has no interest in football, decided to join us in celebration) and few back-patting from regulars and strangers. I remember I got up with my eyes still fixed on TV, American hits rather lame kick straight to Green and somehow Green failed to held easy ball.. you know the rest. The Fox falls in silent, disgusted what they saw and barman behind the bar was effing. 2nd half was quite eventual, Green pulled a blinder save to make up his howler earlier. Heskey should have scored when he had clear run and my beers kept flowing. By the time full time was nearly up, I was on 7th pint and full time did eventually came. There was something like funeral atmosphere in the room and few decided they had enough, went home early.

By 12pm I decided go to home and I was quite drunk by that time. Thank God I only live around he corner from The Fox...

It will be all over again on 18th when we play Algeria... It is must win game.

arwkrite
13-06-2010, 12:50
Walking slowly up the hill, above Bromyard, back to Arwkrite Towers the noise coming from town was phenomenal. Anyone would think England had won. Dancing , Singing, Shouting, car horns honking. It must have been the drink.:cheers:

Conrad
13-06-2010, 16:36
Just realised I have been sat on a bit of humour that trainman sent me to post up, so credit to trainman for this one, and sorry for leaving it a day or two:o.

Clearly relates to a historic Zidane moment
----------------------
As seen by the Germans :
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=301&d=1276442681

As seen by the French :
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=299&d=1276442666

As seen by the Italians :
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=297&d=1276442649

As seen by the Americans :
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=298&d=1276442658

As reported by the press :
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=300&d=1276442672

Conrad
15-06-2010, 08:35
And our match really doesn't look any better in Lego form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXo2nm2ODF0

trainman
15-06-2010, 12:25
Incoming for poor Rob Green...

Why is Robert Green like ITV HD? They both switch off at the crucial moment.
At least that's one British spillage the Americans won't be moaning about...
The England lads had a get-together after the game and bought Robert Green a drink to commiserate. He spilled it.
Steven Gerrard said: "The whole team is behind Rob Green." With hindsight, that's a good place to stand.
My computer's got the Robert Green virus. It can't save anything.
Just bought a Robert Green condom. Extra slippery and you're guaranteed not to catch anything.
Rob Green has injured himself. Apparently, he put his head in his hands and immediately kneed himself in the face.
Before he got into football, Robert Green was a bus driver. But he got fired because he couldn't make any stops.
All these Rob Green jokes are getting out of hand. In fact they're crossing the line...

Strongers
15-06-2010, 14:28
[QUOTE=Conrad;14808]And our match really doesn't look any better in Lego form:QUOTE]

Excellent - some people do have a little too much time on their hands though!

ROBCamra
15-06-2010, 15:45
Rob Greens spill was the most disasterous since the BP one. The difference is that the BP one is far more likely to get another cap.

The top scorer in the competition is awarded the Balon d'Or. If he's Korean will he be given the Labra d'Or ?

Evil Gazebo
16-06-2010, 09:21
Brazil v North Korea = best game so far.

It was the first game where I was genuinely impressed by both teams. North Korea were extremely well-organised and swarmed players back as soon as they lost the ball, blocking and pressing Brazil all over the pitch without committing many fouls and picking up bookings. They reminded me a bit of the Greece 2004 vintage. Meanwhile Brazil never panicked or lost patience even as a couple of their big-name players had off days. They kept to their game plan, and raised the tempo in the second half, knowing the goals would come as the Koreans tired. The North Korea goal was right up there as one of the very best moments so far - in the pub where I watched it everyone went crazy.

BTW, North Korea are the first team to score a goal and lose.

ROBCamra
16-06-2010, 09:25
More good news. ITV have sacked that "master of the bleeding obvious" Robbie Earle for selling his world cup tickets to a Dutch drinks company..

Now the only monotonous drones left are Alan Shearer and those bloody horns.

trainman
16-06-2010, 09:36
even as a couple of their big-name players had off days.

In the case of Kaka, you're not kidding! To think that Gary Cook was trying to force thru a deal where City would buy him for £100m, then pay him half a million a week!!! He was just CACK.

More good news. ITV have sacked Robbie Earle for selling his world cup tickets to a Dutch drinks company..

He claims he didn't profit in any way from those tickets. Really? He must've just lost 'em on the bus...

And, fingers crossed for Crossste - we need one of those HT/FT reverses to come up soon to save him from ongoing despair...

Evil Gazebo
16-06-2010, 10:00
He was just CACK.

And his manager is DUNG-a. But yeah, Kaka surely can't play as bad as that again, can he?

Evil Gazebo
16-06-2010, 11:05
As there is such a football drought going on at the moment, I thought you might like to know that the Carling Cup 1st Round draw (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,13866_6208845,00.html) has just been made. Is Rotherham in the south, or is Peterborough in the north? Next season's league fixtures out tomorrow.

Crossste
16-06-2010, 11:55
And, fingers crossed for Crossste - we need one of those HT/FT reverses to come up soon to save him from ongoing despair...

Absolutly. I have only had a bit of a sniff in a couple of games. Should have listened to you. Long way to go yet though. Unfortunately its one of those bets that having started you cant stop.

Bit of a bonus from Paddy Power i was given £5 credit to use in the games section. Just won £4.61 in ten 50p stake games of bingo and then got the hell out of there before addiction took over. Thank God that Paddy Power advise you to bet responsibly.

Conrad
16-06-2010, 16:54
I think we need to moan some more, well done Switzerland.

Pubsignman
16-06-2010, 19:32
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/artdaley/yuyuyuyu.gif

trainman
16-06-2010, 22:54
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/artdaley/yuyuyuyu.gif

Well, as prediction-board leader, I suppose we'll have to allow you to blow your own trumpet, for now...

Pubsignman
17-06-2010, 00:06
Well, as prediction-board leader, I suppose we'll have to allow you to blow your own trumpet, for now...

I think I'll be packing the vuvuzela away tomorrow...I've just seen that I'm the only person in our league who hasn't gone for an Argentina win. Watch me plummet!

Millay
18-06-2010, 20:58
This is painful, 70 mins gone and still 0-0, surely we must be able to beat Algeria :(

Millay
18-06-2010, 21:27
Well that was two hours of my life that I wouldn't want to live again. Pretty poor show from the England boys. Slovenia is now a must win game but I'm not holding out much hope.

ROBCamra
19-06-2010, 09:38
Well that was two hours of my life that I wouldn't want to live again. Pretty poor show from the England boys. Slovenia is now a must win game but I'm not holding out much hope.

I can't remember the last time I was so bored in a pub.

Win the World Cup? My ar5e.You have to have a decent shot at goal to do that!

It doesn't help if you play invisible men like Lampard & Lennon. Who says Lampard and Gerrard can't play together?

Well most people in the pub last night, so why can't Capello see it?

What has Joe Cole done to upset him, he was a star in the warm up friendlies and now can't get a game.

Oh it's just so :o:o:o

Millay
19-06-2010, 09:56
It hasn’t been a good World Cup on the betting front with all these surprise results but at least I got my money back on last night’s game. I did a couple of scorecasts with Rooney to score first and England to win 2-0 and 3-0. Thankfully Bet365 offer you your money back on these type of bets if the game finishes 0-0. I think Lampard, Heskey etc. must have had the same bet :D

You're right about Joe Cole ROBCamra, he must fancy his chances of getting on the pitch next Wednesday after watching the last two games. Cole to be first goalscorer and a 1-1 draw could be the bet.

trainman
19-06-2010, 11:15
We re-routed to a packed Knights Templar (Chancery lane), as not all could make it to Leyton in time but, if I can dredge up a few quid, hopefully the William IV will be the Wed venue where I watch the launch of the turnaround. Well, it can only get better... can't it?
I've just been watching my recording of the game to verify whether it was as poor as I vaguely recall. It was.
Struggling today after my first visit to t'pub for longer than I care to remember. I think I did it justice.

Evil Gazebo
23-06-2010, 11:37
FIFA have funny little animations of all the goals on their site here (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/goalradar/match=300111115/index.html). You can choose from all the matches, and change the view by clicking on the star shaped thing at the bottom.

Strongers
23-06-2010, 11:59
Squeeky bum time... I'm off to the Flask in Hampstead in an hour or so - COME ON ENGLAND - screw your loaf!!!

Maldenman
23-06-2010, 13:18
Well oddly enough a few of us here at work have managed to book a few ,"ahem", site visits for this afternoon. Whether that turns out to be worthwhile however is another issue.

arwkrite
23-06-2010, 14:01
Well , heres wishing England the very best of luck . Hopefully in the form of some goals.Where ever you watch it have a great time....regards....I am off to the pub now..Arwkrite.

Millay
23-06-2010, 16:42
Stuck at work but have been listening to the cheers and groans from the ‘hospitality suite’ on another floor. Not long to hold out now

Millay
23-06-2010, 16:50
Hurrrahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Millay
23-06-2010, 16:57
I think that late USA goal means we finish second in the group and play our next game on Sunday afternoon. The opponents will be decided tonight.

Soup Dragon
23-06-2010, 17:05
Bossed the game, but some poor finishing and some dodgy moments at the back....just like the USA game. Sorry chaps, but I don't take too much comfort from that. I think it is hard luck on Slovenia going out in the last minute - i hear their entire population is actually in their squad.

Delboy20
23-06-2010, 17:48
Thank god for that !!

Due to being out of work I made the decision to watch the group games at home and go to the boozer for the knock-out rounds.

I was beginning to regret that decision but I can now look forward to Sunday afternoon.

I thiought Milner was excellent and that should squeeze his price tag up a little !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Gann
23-06-2010, 18:12
Well, the first time I haven't predicted an England win on the SportGuru competition and it obviously worked..

I hope the lads in SA appreciate me taking a hit on my pubgalore pool performance for them.

And by my calculation its likely to be Germany up next and potentially the Argies in the quarters.

So it's a technique I can see myself sticking to.....:p

Conrad
23-06-2010, 18:40
Gann: :D

Nishely pished having just watched that one at the pub, a fair performance I thought, but hate watching any team holding the ball in the corner to waste time, particularly tinged when USA go on to win the group.

Evil Gazebo
23-06-2010, 18:57
After that performance, it is clear that far from being the shambles they were described as after the first two matches, England now has the greatest football team ever to play the game. FIFA now need to do the decent thing, and award England the trophy immediately, rather than force other, inferior nations to suffer the inevitable humiliation they face if forced to "compete" against our invincible heroes.

This is what I gather from the media coverage.

Conrad
23-06-2010, 19:12
Now I know I am drunk, but that sounds like excellent logic to me.

And I am sure there is no connection in that.

Anyway better go and sober up with some water and stop posting on here.

Dave M
23-06-2010, 19:20
Anyway better go and sober up with some water and stop posting on here.

Given how drunk I feel and how much of a lightweight you are that sounds like an excellent idea! ;)

Millay
23-06-2010, 21:45
Bring on the Germans (and start practising those penalties)

hopwas
23-06-2010, 22:32
Just got back from pub after 9 hour drinking.. I must say it has been quite nervous but gladly we got over the line.. JUST!

Now it only get worse.... we are facing our old fiends, Germany.

I agree with Millay, we NEED to practise our penalties...

Millay
24-06-2010, 06:49
Fabio Capello says he has listened to the players and will break with tradition and name his starting XI a lot earlier for the Germany game, possibly even before the National Anthems start. He says this will leave enough time for,

Green to find the right goalkeeping gloves

Rooney to phone Sir Alex to ask him what he’s doing wrong

Johnson & James to get their hair done

Heskey to put down that bloody pie

Carragher to put in an extra oxygen order for half-time

And Joe Cole to lay out his towel on the bench before the Germans get there

trainman
24-06-2010, 07:16
we are facing our old fiends, Germany.

Fiends indeed.

Out early yesterday to warm up with a game of comedy darts at William IV, http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25128/ ,
imagine my horror when, with the pub busied up & the teams coming out, I decide to flick off the dart spotlight and POW!, down goes the plasma, down goes the big drop-down screen (shit picture), & up goes my fear that I am highly likely to be lynched. We missed the anthems but God bless the Polish barmaid who managed to re-boot everything just before kick-off. Phew!

Evil Gazebo
24-06-2010, 08:31
Interesting (to me at least) now that half the groups are concluded, that one semi-finalist will come from Uruguay/South Korea/USA/Ghana, and one from Germany/England/Argentina/Mexico.

Gann
24-06-2010, 10:38
Fiends indeed.

down goes the plasma, down goes the big drop-down screen (shit picture), & up goes my fear that I am highly likely to be lynched. !

Ha ha, Well done Trainman, You could have been the EDF Energy of East London...

My heart goes out to those poor sods in Twickenham running from pub to pub to try and find one with elecky...... :D

Conrad
24-06-2010, 21:31
Don't know about Germany, but glad we're not playing Japan. Beautiful 3rd goal.

Strongers
24-06-2010, 23:10
I'm worried that we will beat Germany because I'll end up being the only person in the pub cheering for Argentina if we play them in the quarters - I'm determined to win Roger's sweep!

Pubsignman
25-06-2010, 00:13
I'm going to be on a plane for the entire duration of the England vs Germany game. Gutted!

trainman
25-06-2010, 08:40
I'll end up being the only person in the pub cheering for Argentina

During qualification for '98 World Cup, and on the night England lost at home to Italy, a pal declared that we had no chance of topping the group and offered 40/1 to prove the fact. I said, fine, I'll have £100 on that; well, we were all ver ver drunk. As Richard suddenly realised this might cost him £4000, the odds were bartered down to 20/1, the bet written up & stuck high up on the back-bar. And there it stayed for months until, in the final game, England visited Rome needing just a draw to qualify top. Poor Richard, a solitary, despairing figure among the wildly celebrating masses as the full-time whistle blew on the famous 0-0 draw.
And, fair play to him, 40 crisp £50 notes had been left for me in the pub safe earlier in the day.

Feeling a bit guilty (tho bet is bet and he did pretty well for himself) I attempted to win back his money for him with a scorecast on his team (Leeds) which would have recouped his losses - I was just gonna slip him the ticket if it won and it was looking good, with the correct 1st scorer and correct score (3-0) moving into injury time. Nope, Leeds conceded in 91st minute to blow it. Funnily enough he ended up buying a place in .... South Africa!

trainman
25-06-2010, 09:10
Looking forward to tonight's group games - presuming Switzerland bt Honduras, then Spain have a very tricky must-win game against Chile to avoid joining Italy & France on an early plane home. I know Chile have qualified, but presumably they'll still want to take at least a point & finish top.

Evil Gazebo
25-06-2010, 13:51
Chile haven't qualified yet; if they lose to Spain, and Switzerland beat Honduras by more than a goal, they're out.

Millay
26-06-2010, 08:06
Also done some silly bets on top scorer for some of the minnows. I reckon for those teams that are only going to play three games and probably won’t score many goals there’s some value in backing defenders to be top scorer.

I’ve still got three of these silly bets running, although I don’t think Bocanegra (USA), Cech (Slovakia) or Tanaka (Japan) are going to win me any money as they haven’t scored at all yet. I did however get a result with North Korea’s Ji Yun-Nam, whose last minute goal against Brazil was their only one of the tournament making him their top scorer. £1 at 28/1 was a nice little return and will pay for a few beers.

I’ve also had a bit of success by predicting the finishing positions in a couple of the groups and on the total goals in a group so it’s not been a bad World Cup for me so far from a gambling perspective. Favourite bet was Brazil to beat Ivory Coast 3-1 with Fabiano scoring the first goal, that returned 27/1. Worst bets were on France and Italy to win their groups and all the money wasted backing England in the first two games.

trainman
26-06-2010, 11:14
Chile haven't qualified yet; if they lose to Spain, and Switzerland beat Honduras by more than a goal, they're out.

Yep, realised later on that I got that wrong. Nothing new there...

I did however get a result with North Korea’s Ji Yun-Nam, whose last minute goal against Brazil was their only one of the tournament making him their top scorer. at 28/1

Truly inspired Millay!

trainman
26-06-2010, 19:27
Where you all headed for THE match tmw?

I'm probably at Crosse Keys (unusually open on a Sunday) or Penderel's Oak preceded, respectively, by Market Porter or Harp.

Maldenman
26-06-2010, 22:56
Hmm, as I'm on call from work, I'll hopefully be at home watching. That's unless some idiot ruins my afternoon again as happened today. Old women and automatic cars do not mix. Well I suppose it wasn't my front room the car ended up in.

It has been suggested by some jokers at work that if we go out on penalties again I may as well drive myself to a central location and await the phone calls, as something is bound to kick off.

Strongers
26-06-2010, 23:12
I'm off to the Flask in Hampstead again. Free roast spuds at the start of the game and a couple of reserved tables for the 'boys'. Also, the manageress is German so there should be some great banter as we step up to the plate and wow the footballing world with some cutting football. :pray:

Evil Gazebo
27-06-2010, 12:30
May as well not bother watching. It's all over. Paul the octopus has chosen. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm)

Soup Dragon
27-06-2010, 13:42
Maybe, just maybe, he was hungry and not thinking about the game?

Alesonly
27-06-2010, 15:40
Looks like England are going too Finnish the first half 2-1 down unless they get there finger out in the second half its bad news after that bad decision by the ref not too allow that 2nd Goal .

Soup Dragon
27-06-2010, 17:26
May as well not bother watching. It's all over. Paul the octopus has chosen. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm)

Clearly he knows more about footy than fabio.

Strongers
28-06-2010, 11:20
An afternoon of disappointment followed by an evening of wallowing in self pity before the stark realisation that England were sh*t and the Germans deservedly won the match. OK, a dodgy decision on the goal that was not given, but we would have lost anyway as we were running around like headless chickens. Maybe it is for the best as a 4 – 1 defeat is our largest in World Cup history and I think the Argentineans would have pounded us this Friday by more than that.

On a more positive note, it was nice to see David James getting a chance to relive his days at Portsmouth!

RB
28-06-2010, 11:59
Well lets stick to cricket.....................

Conrad
28-06-2010, 12:33
It would be nice to blame it on the ghost goal, but England were so poor at the back. Ah well sit back and watch the fallout, it is an entertainment of sorts.

And now to support Scotland in the Tennis.

RogerB
28-06-2010, 12:45
Managed to watch all 3 England games in the Scottish wilderness. One of the local village pubs in Portknockie in Scotland gave us a lovely welcome when we turned up to watch the USA match. The whole pub decked in Stars and Stripes inside and out, several A.B.E. (Anyone But England) t-shirts present, Cheeseburger flavoured crisps and popcorn + Born In The USA played on the jukebox 3 times at half time. I was hoping to keep a low profile but Gerrards goal after 4 minutes gave the game away and made us the centre of much reasonably good natured abuse for the night!

We watched the Algeria game in the other village pub which was a bit less hostile. There were only 2 other people in the pub so we did at least match them numerically. The Slovenia game was in our second week at Banchory near Aberdeen and fortunately there were a few more English people around to cheer the goal!

Strongers
28-06-2010, 15:51
There was a reporter in the Flask from the Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/28/v-fullstory/1704073/english-fans-resigned-to-germanys.html)before and during the game. Yes I did blow the vuvuzuela (not as easy as it looks) before my brother had a good old moan at her!

oldboots
28-06-2010, 20:17
And now to support Scotland in the Tennis.

He's British until he gets kicked out then he'll be Scottish again.

Conrad
29-06-2010, 10:31
He's British until he gets kicked out then he'll be Scottish again.
I didn't want to taint him with any English, you never know he might win then :)

Also enjoyed this (click for caption):
Stolen from this reg article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/beer_ad/).

trainman
30-06-2010, 12:00
For comparison…

Emile Heskey (Eng), 59 caps, 7goals

Rene Higuita (Columbia), 68 caps, 6goals

Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay), 74 caps, 8 goals

Not too dissimilar, until you realise…

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

That the latter two are goalkeepers!!

RogerB
01-07-2010, 08:39
Are you saying we should play Emile Heskey in goal? :whistle:

Conrad
01-07-2010, 11:28
One I got from Trainman:

I quiet liked the one they showed on the TV after the match with the curvy goal line, can't find it anywhere now though.

runningdog
01-07-2010, 20:42
Funny thing, that 'goal'. Has anyone else noticed that every time you see a new graphic the ball gets ever closer to the back of the net..........:drinkup::drinkup:

trainman
01-07-2010, 23:30
Funny thing, that 'goal'. Has anyone else noticed that every time you see a new graphic the ball gets ever closer to the back of the net..........:drinkup::drinkup:
Nope. Just the same valid goal, the same distance over the line as when I dashed round the Crosse Keys in celebration, only to return to my seat in despair at officiating blindness!

runningdog
02-07-2010, 09:23
Nope. Just the same valid goal, the same distance over the line as when I dashed round the Crosse Keys in celebration, only to return to my seat in despair at officiating blindness!

Oh, no arguments there, it was in, but the ref sez ,no goal, so a goal it will never be. The best argument for goalline technolgy is that, almost certainly, neither ref nor linesman would have been able to see it. Match referees, as in rugby or cricket, would also have been able to make the right decision.
Any road up, we simply weren't good enough on the day. Somethin a bit deeper than blaming the ref or Blatter needs to be done. Central contracts might help, but how we get anythin like that past the Premier League I have no idea..........:sick:....I need a drink:drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
02-07-2010, 12:20
The phantom goal is definitely just one of those things, it doesn't really happen that often.

I would be happy to have goal line technology that allows the referee to hear a buzz, but it wouldn't of solved Tevez's offside goal, I don't fancy the idea of pausing the game to allow for a 5th official to have a quick look at the match video. And there is the old thing about the games played in the Premiership are played with the same technology as a Sunday league match, which I think is good.

Crossste
02-07-2010, 17:00
At last a half time/ full time reversal. I thought it was going to go all the way through without one. 45-1 as well. Only £70 down now.:pray:

Millay
03-07-2010, 07:22
At last a half time/ full time reversal. I thought it was going to go all the way through without one. 45-1 as well. Only £70 down now.:pray:
45/1 was a good price, and well done for having the bottle to keep this going. I remember when 28/1 both ways was the norm or you'd get 33/1 one way and 25/1 the other. What I'm now seeing is prices around the 20/1 - 25/1 mark, stingy old bookies.

trainman
03-07-2010, 08:48

45/1 was a good price

Yes, I was thinking you must have been suffering Crossste, so well done for getting one in at last. Agree with Millay, surprisingly good price on the reversal for that game.

Crossste
03-07-2010, 18:05
I think Holland h/t Brazil f/t was about 25/1 so it was the best way round for me.

Tonight's odds are Paraguay h/t Spain f/t 25/1 the reversal being 50/1 but i cant see that happening.

At the start of the World Cup Paddy Powers odds were about the best so i just stuck with them rather than checking odds elsewhere for every match.