PDA

View Full Version : New server

Dave M
23-07-2017, 23:05
So this evening I've switched PG over to a new server. A job I've been putting off for the last 18 months but needed to be done.

As almost every aspect of the server has changed since the last move I've had to make lots of tiny modifications to get the site to work.

Lots of tiny modifications almost certainly equals lots of tiny new bugs that I couldn't have imagined so if anyone notices things that aren't working now that previously did then please let me know and I'll look into them.

As I'm already seeing new photos, reviews and map corrections going through I think I'm going to call it a night, get some sleep and start fixing issues in the morning.

Komakino
24-07-2017, 14:39
Hello Dave. Thanks for all your hard work as always! On thing I have noticed is that the site won't let me 'submit' a web link on a pub's page - if I hit the 'submit' button, nothing happens. Anything to do with the update, or something wrong my end? Cheers.

Dave M
24-07-2017, 15:56
I've fiddled about the the web link code a lot as there were a few bugs, so not surprised to hear of a problem there.

I'll look into it and get back to you.

Dave M
24-07-2017, 17:07
I found a bug in there, give it a try and it might work now. If not let me know and I'll go digging further.

AlanH
24-07-2017, 17:31
I have already seen improvements! Two of the three Welsh counties that could not be "clicked out of" now can be. Dyfed and my county, Clwyd, now OK. :notworthy: That just leaves Gwent as the only county you cannot escape from.

Komakino
24-07-2017, 17:31
We good. Cheers Dave!

rpadam
24-07-2017, 18:51
Hello Dave. Thanks for all your hard work as always! On thing I have noticed is that the site won't let me 'submit' a web link on a pub's page - if I hit the 'submit' button, nothing happens. Anything to do with the update, or something wrong my end? Cheers.
A dwarf can now approve web links again too, after last night's glitch.

bcfczuluarmy
24-07-2017, 19:30
My phone has again regained the drag and drop upload option that has seemingly been hit and miss recently. Is server swap related to certificate errors I've encountered recently on varying devices.

Dave M
24-07-2017, 20:16
My phone has again regained the drag and drop upload option that has seemingly been hit and miss recently. Is server swap related to certificate errors I've encountered recently on varying devices.
Ah yes, I was wondering if that was now working for you.

For various reasons I've been wanting to get the site running on https (getting the green padlock icon in the top left of the browser) for about 18 months. I tried doing it on the old server but it started causing all sorts of problems. So yes the server upgrade was partly about making it easier for me to get secure certificates for the site.

rpadam
24-07-2017, 21:38
Ah yes, I was wondering if that was now working for you.

For various reasons I've been wanting to get the site running on https (getting the green padlock icon in the top left of the browser) for about 18 months. I tried doing it on the old server but it started causing all sorts of problems. So yes the server upgrade was partly about making it easier for me to get secure certificates for the site.
A few more random things noted:
1) The dotted line around the 'Upload' zone no longer turns into a solid box as you 'drag & drop' files into it (but it still works).
2) Getting certificate errors on my mobile but not on the PC.
3) For the first time ever, it appears that I can add a pub on my PC (where previously I could get no further than the postcode check) rather than having to resort to my 'phone.
4) The mobile site seems out of date (with new pubs added by various people over the last few weeks not showing up).

Dave M
24-07-2017, 22:17
A few more random things noted:
1) The dotted line around the 'Upload' zone no longer turns into a solid box as you 'drag & drop' files into it (but it still works).
2) Getting certificate errors on my mobile but not on the PC.
3) For the first time ever, it appears that I can add a pub on my PC (where previously I could get no further than the postcode check) rather than having to resort to my 'phone.
4) The mobile site seems out of date (with new pubs added by various people over the last few weeks not showing up).

1) Upload is a 3rd party thing that I upgraded so maybe that is just the way it behaves now.
2) I think your mobile must be caching something.
3) I've not a clue why it didn't work before and even less clue why it would start working now. Perhaps your pc didn't like to submit pub information over an insecure connection.
4) Do you mean pubs aren't showing up if you search for them? Are they there if you browse to them?

rpadam
24-07-2017, 22:29
4) Do you mean pubs aren't showing up if you search for them? Are they there if you browse to them?
On the mobile version, the list of 'Nearby Pubs' appears incomplete (with a couple of newish additions missing when I tried it this evening).

However, if you click on one of the visible ones, this takes you to the 'desktop version' where the missing ones are listed as expected.

Dave M
25-07-2017, 08:39
On the mobile version, the list of 'Nearby Pubs' appears incomplete (with a couple of newish additions missing when I tried it this evening).

Excellent, that gave me enough of a clue as to where the problem was. You're quite right that you were seeing data that was a few weeks out of date. That was my test data as I was setting up the server and I'd got the process for updating it wrong.

Glad this one was spotted so quickly, would've been really confused by it in a couple of months.

sheffield hatter
25-07-2017, 09:58
Good news: I can now go straight to the map page without deleting the 's' in 'https'. Yippee!

Bad news: Still can't get street view. I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome or Firefox. On my laptop - also Windows 7 - I have no map problems so this may be a glitch on my PC (I can use street view on Google maps accessed from outside Pubs Galore on my PC).

More bad news: I've had to reduce the size of the display in order to get the boxes on the summary page to not overlap. This happens on my PC with both Chrome and Firefox, but not on my laptop, which has a wider screen. The photo seems to be shifted to the left and overlaps the edge of the box with the pub details in.

And finally: I still can't use drop and drag (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?25613-Problem-uploading-photos) when uploading photos. In Chrome it causes the browser to become "unresponsive" (although the photos do upload eventually) and in Firefox it doesn't work at all.

And another thing: When adding photos (by the old method) the progress bar has a red "abort" button next to it as usual, but it doesn't turn green to read "complete" (or whatever it used to say) - it just disappears.

AlanH
25-07-2017, 10:05
I have already seen improvements! Two of the three Welsh counties that could not be "clicked out of" now can be. Dyfed and my county, Clwyd, now OK. :notworthy: That just leaves Gwent as the only county you cannot escape from.

With Gwent now working we have 100% "mobility". Thanks Dave.

Dave M
25-07-2017, 12:16
Bad news: Still can't get street view. I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome or Firefox. On my laptop - also Windows 7 - I have no map problems so this may be a glitch on my PC (I can use street view on Google maps accessed from outside Pubs Galore on my PC).
I can't even think of anything I could try that might solve that. It does sound like some kind of settings on your PC. Out of interest does the dual view map/streetview thing on the map correction page work on your PC?

More bad news: I've had to reduce the size of the display in order to get the boxes on the summary page to not overlap. This happens on my PC with both Chrome and Firefox, but not on my laptop, which has a wider screen. The photo seems to be shifted to the left and overlaps the edge of the box with the pub details in.

And finally: I still can't use drop and drag (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?25613-Problem-uploading-photos) when uploading photos. In Chrome it causes the browser to become "unresponsive" (although the photos do upload eventually) and in Firefox it doesn't work at all.

And another thing: When adding photos (by the old method) the progress bar has a red "abort" button next to it as usual, but it doesn't turn green to read "complete" (or whatever it used to say) - it just disappears.

I'd noticed the overlapping boxes thing on my laptop with a smaller screen. Think I've fixed that now, was caused by some changes in the uploader code. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have installed the latest version of that uploader, seems to have a few quirks.

As to the drag & drop thing, I'm curious as to whether it works on your laptop? Is it possible your PC is just being a pain in general. Although I have to admit I've not tested the drag & drop aspect of the uploader.

Dave M
25-07-2017, 12:17
With Gwent now working we have 100% "mobility". Thanks Dave.

I forgot you'd mentioned Gwent as well, the note I wrote on my phone only said Dyfed & Clwyd. I thought I'd sneak those in with the server move just to see how long you'd take to notice :)

sheffield hatter
25-07-2017, 14:01
Still can't get street view. I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome or Firefox. On my laptop - also Windows 7 - I have no map problems so this may be a glitch on my PC (I can use street view on Google maps accessed from outside Pubs Galore on my PC).

I can't even think of anything I could try that might solve that. It does sound like some kind of settings on your PC. Out of interest does the dual view map/streetview thing on the map correction page work on your PC?

Yes it does, that's strange isn't it. Or does it give you a clue to help fix it (please)?

I'd noticed the overlapping boxes thing on my laptop with a smaller screen. Think I've fixed that now, was caused by some changes in the uploader code.

That's fixed. Thanks.

As to the drag & drop thing, I'm curious as to whether it works on your laptop? Is it possible your PC is just being a pain in general. Although I have to admit I've not tested the drag & drop aspect of the uploader.

I've just tried it - I don't usually have photos on my lap top. Got exactly the same as on my PC, using Firefox (I don't have Chrome on my lap top). When I drag the file across to the drop zone it acquires a little red circle with a diagonal red slash, which I interpret to mean "you daft sod, don't you know that's not allowed?".

"A pain in general"? How very dare you sir. My PC is extremely upset by your remark. ;)

bcfczuluarmy
25-07-2017, 16:31
The dual Streetview thing now moves when I move my phone around on correct map point mode. Is this new as well, it's very virtual reality.

Quinno
25-07-2017, 19:05
Thanks for putting a gap between approve and refer buttons on the dwarf photo function - I've accidentally referred a few by mistake before as they were so close together!

rpadam
25-07-2017, 22:47
Thanks for putting a gap between approve and refer buttons on the dwarf photo function - I've accidentally referred a few by mistake before as they were so close together!
As it's holiday season, moi aussie!

rpadam
25-07-2017, 22:55
Excellent, that gave me enough of a clue as to where the problem was. You're quite right that you were seeing data that was a few weeks out of date. That was my test data as I was setting up the server and I'd got the process for updating it wrong.

Glad this one was spotted so quickly, would've been really confused by it in a couple of months.
Great to see the various enhancements (some more obvious than others) and the very prompt response to feedback via the forum - keep up the good work!

ROBCamra
26-07-2017, 11:02
When trying to add this Facebook link https://en-gb.facebook.com/Magpiefalkirk/ to this pub https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62428/

I get the following message

Your attempt to view this page has failed due to a fault on our data base.

You can either go back and try again, or revisit our site at a later time when the problem will have been resolved

Update

The same occurs on this place https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85460/

Is it just Facebook links?

Mobyduck
26-07-2017, 21:08
Now when I try to access PUG main site on my mobile I get a "your connection is not private" message with a "back to safety button , I then have to go advanced and get a further message "the server could not prove it is www,pubsgalore.co.uk its security certificate is not trusted by your devices operating system" there is a link below that says Proceed to www.pubsgalore.co.uk(unsafe). All a bit of a pain, I do not get the same grief when accessing the Forum on my mobile and go straight through?

Dave M
26-07-2017, 22:21
Yes it does, that's strange isn't it. Or does it give you a clue to help fix it (please)?

It does give me a clue. I had forgotten that the main map page is still Google Maps version 2 but when I rewrote the map correction page I upgraded to version 3. I have tried to do the main one in version 3 but it had beaten me so far.

I've just tried it - I don't usually have photos on my lap top. Got exactly the same as on my PC, using Firefox (I don't have Chrome on my lap top). When I drag the file across to the drop zone it acquires a little red circle with a diagonal red slash, which I interpret to mean "you daft sod, don't you know that's not allowed?".

"A pain in general"? How very dare you sir. My PC is extremely upset by your remark. ;)

So does it work ok if you press the upload button and choose file(s)? If it is just drag and drop failing I think it must be a security feature of some sort. My apologies to your PC, it is only trying to keep you safe.

rpadam
26-07-2017, 22:24
Now when I try to access PUG main site on my mobile I get a "your connection is not private" message with a "back to safety button , I then have to go advanced and get a further message "the server could not prove it is www,pubsgalore.co.uk its security certificate is not trusted by your devices operating system" there is a link below that says Proceed to www.pubsgalore.co.uk(unsafe). All a bit of a pain, I do not get the same grief when accessing the Forum on my mobile and go straight through?
Dave, I think this is the same issue I reported in point 2 of post #10?

Dave M
26-07-2017, 22:24
When trying to add this Facebook link https://en-gb.facebook.com/Magpiefalkirk/ to this pub https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62428/

I get the following message

Your attempt to view this page has failed due to a fault on our data base.

You can either go back and try again, or revisit our site at a later time when the problem will have been resolved

Update

The same occurs on this place https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85460/

Is it just Facebook links?

That is a good one. When you submit a Facebook link I send a request to Facebook for more details about it. In my testing I only used links with www.facebook.com - when my script sends a request about en-gb.facebook.com it doesn't understand it. I've made some corrections to detect if it is anything other than www and I think it works now.

rpadam
26-07-2017, 22:25
That is a good one. When you submit a Facebook link I send a request to Facebook for more details about it. In my testing I only used links with www.facebook.com - when my script sends a request about en-gb.facebook.com it doesn't understand it. I've made some corrections to detect if it is anything other than www and I think it works now.
I always had to change 'https' to 'http' to manually add Facebook links, so might that be something to do with it?

Dave M
26-07-2017, 22:27

Dave, I think this is the same issue I reported in point 2 of post #10?

It does look like an issue. I know the certificate I'm using can cause some problems. Like I know it doesn't work for people using IE6, but no-one should be. If it is causing issues for lots of mobiles though that is something I need to sort out.

Out of interest do you know what operating system/broswers you have on your phones?

rpadam
26-07-2017, 22:49
It does look like an issue. I know the certificate I'm using can cause some problems. Like I know it doesn't work for people using IE6, but no-one should be. If it is causing issues for lots of mobiles though that is something I need to sort out.

Out of interest do you know what operating system/broswers you have on your phones?
I usually use the default browser with Android 4.4.2.

Dave M
26-07-2017, 23:36
If you could try again it might now be working.

I believed that I was going to be causing that problem on around the oldest 2% of android devices but it looks like it was actually affecting more like 30% :muppet:

Dave M
26-07-2017, 23:37
I always had to change 'https' to 'http' to manually add Facebook links, so might that be something to do with it?

Any links with https didn't work. Me and Conrad made a crazy assumption that it wouldn't be common for sites to use https!

Mobyduck
27-07-2017, 06:26
If you could try again it might now be working.

I believed that I was going to be causing that problem on around the oldest 2% of android devices but it looks like it was actually affecting more like 30% :muppet:

Yes, mine now works, thanks Dave.

rpadam
27-07-2017, 06:37
Any links with https didn't work. Me and Conrad made a crazy assumption that it wouldn't be common for sites to use https!
The newer links to Jamies outlets (e.g. http://www.jamies.london/bars/tudor-street/) never seem to work - something to do with the .london extension?

ROBCamra
27-07-2017, 07:13

Looks like that one's OK now Dave. :cheers:

sheffield hatter
27-07-2017, 12:41
So does it work ok if you press the upload button and choose file(s)? If it is just drag and drop failing I think it must be a security feature of some sort.

Yes, I've gone back to clicking the file, which works fine. I just feel a bit left out, not being able to drag and drop like all the cool kids.

Aqualung
06-08-2017, 09:23
Has the approval of the addition of web links been scrapped? I've just changed the What Pub link for the Commercial Hotel JDW in Accrington and was surprised to see it go straight through.

UPDATE
I've just added the JDW site link and it needs verification.

rpadam
06-08-2017, 16:45
Has the approval of the addition of web links been scrapped? I've just changed the What Pub link for the Commercial Hotel JDW in Accrington and was surprised to see it go straight through.

UPDATE
I've just added the JDW site link and it needs verification.
CAMRA WhatPub, Facebook and Twitter links now seem to be automated, with pub and pubco links still needing approval as before.

Aqualung
06-08-2017, 17:08
CAMRA WhatPub, Facebook and Twitter links now seem to be automated, with pub and pubco links still needing approval as before.

In the meantime I'd sort of come to that conclusion given that those three links have a fixed format so you can't add a subversive link only an incorrect one. Thanks for the clarification. I might add more than I have in the past now that it doesn't require approval.

Dave M
06-08-2017, 17:25
Just a little more info on the special links:-

Facebook and Twitter ones should add fairly reliably, but there will be cases where they go slightly wrong. Also in both cases a Facebook page or Twitter feed can only be associated with one pub. So if there is a chain that has a central account it wouldn't be possible to add that to each pub within that chain.

The WhatPub links may be a bit unreliable. I think there will be cases where you submit one and they vanish into thin air. I do need to do more work on it when I get the chance.

Aqualung
06-08-2017, 17:48
The WhatPub links may be a bit unreliable. I think there will be cases where you submit one and they vanish into thin air. I do need to do more work on it when I get the chance.

I thought there was some sort of script that added What Pub links to new pubs. I only had to correct the Accrington one because it was linked to the closed What Pub entry from before JDW took it on.

oldboots
10-08-2017, 09:00
Well done Dave, you got rid of the superfluous entries on the awaiting approval page, good work.

Any idea why copying and pasting pub links into forum posts just shows up as the link rather than the pub name as before?

Dave M
10-08-2017, 10:20
Well done Dave, you got rid of the superfluous entries on the awaiting approval page, good work.

Any idea why copying and pasting pub links into forum posts just shows up as the link rather than the pub name as before?

Still a lot more of the referred stuff for me to get through, I just prioritised the stuff that was stuck in the admin panels.

I forgot that I was going to need to revisit the pub links in the forum thing. Was dreading how difficult it might be, however it may have actually been easy. Let's find out.

Nomu (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81262/)

Dave M
10-08-2017, 10:21
Was dreading how difficult it might be, however it may have actually been easy. Let's find out.
Yes it was! Thanks for reminding me to do this.

AlanH
15-08-2017, 16:43

The loss of street view now seems to have spread to the "correct map point" view. This will add to the difficulty in checking if it is on the correct building.

rpadam
16-08-2017, 22:08
The loss of street view now seems to have spread to the "correct map point" view. This will add to the difficulty in checking if it is on the correct building.
Works OK on my Windows 10 / Internet Explorer PC (and using the native browser on my Android 'phone).

AlanH
17-08-2017, 17:14
Works OK on my Windows 10 / Internet Explorer PC (and using the native browser on my Android 'phone).

Still not working on my windows 7 / internet explorer laptop (or my ZX Spectrum). Seems like time for an update!

Oggwyn Trench
17-08-2017, 18:46
Still not working on my windows 7 / internet explorer laptop (or my ZX Spectrum). Seems like time for an update!

People still use Internet Explorer:eek::D

Working on my windows 10 Laptop and my weird collection of browsers :cool:

oldboots
17-08-2017, 19:24
People still use Internet Explorer:eek::D

Working on my windows 10 Laptop and my weird collection of browsers :cool:

People still use Microsoft products :eek::D

Mobyduck
17-08-2017, 19:58
Windows 10 on Chrome works fine.

Delboy20
18-08-2017, 19:48
Not really sure where to post this but this will do.
There are still 2 pubs in my awaiting approval from 2014!
They are on the site so can they be removed from my page? I don't need to go over old ground as to why they weren't approved at the time - look here if you are interested ! http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?19874-Pending-approvals&highlight=pubs+not+approved
Cheers,
Del.

bcfczuluarmy
20-08-2017, 23:32
Has the new server thing added about What Pub dubious pubs where CAMRA membership or a GBG in tow may be required as when I entered The Hungerford Club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80115/) without any of the above it wasn't present on the web page.

Aqualung
21-08-2017, 00:07
Has the new server thing added about What Pub dubious pubs where CAMRA membership or a GBG in tow may be required as when I entered The Hungerford Club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80115/) without any of the above it wasn't present on the web page.

It's a club and I can see the warning under the details that says "This is a members only club and therefore may not allow entry, check reviews for more details".
The problem as I see it is that there are several clubs on this site where they don't have that warning. If a club allows people in regardless then they are almost certainly ignoring the rules of their licence.

bcfczuluarmy
21-08-2017, 21:46
My point being when I went there it wasn't showing this detail it was the review from memory that highlighted a problem could occur. After all I was a famous tennis player when I went in and I'm not a bitter drinker with a CAMRA card nor do I own a GBG.

Aqualung
21-08-2017, 22:03
My point being when I went there it wasn't showing this detail it was the review from memory that highlighted a problem could occur. After all I was a famous tennis player when I went in and I'm not a bitter drinker with a CAMRA card nor do I own a GBG.

Fair enough, I still think that all clubs should have that warning even if they apparently allow in all and sundry.

bcfczuluarmy
21-08-2017, 22:17
I agree the point was the warning from PG wasn't there it was the review that gave me warning.

Wickwar Social Club isn't on here I found it in my old man's GBG rocked up and walked in without no need to go bearing gifts or wave the fake laminate card my dad made me based on Wallsal's experimental new Camara card that might get me into places that allow CAMRA members, similar to the RAFA Club in Bristol where I went with my dad who had his CAMRA card and nobody cared about seeing it here either which was also GBG listed based on the relevant paperwork none of which was challenged.

The point is a new line has appeared on the pub/bar stating that it may be CAMRA related which from memory wasn't present prior to new server.

Dave maybe able to reiterate if it's been present for a while and the low number of places that fall into this category have alluded me.

sheffield hatter
22-08-2017, 10:31
The problem as I see it is that there are several clubs on this site where they don't have that warning. If a club allows people in regardless then they are almost certainly ignoring the rules of their licence.

I don't know what causes this warning panel to generate. I added a comment in the review box on this club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54372/) yesterday. It should have that generic panel, it seems to me, but I don't know what it needs to produce it.

oldboots
22-08-2017, 17:38
It's a club and I can see the warning under the details that says "This is a members only club and therefore may not allow entry, check reviews for more details".

It all depends on the type of license they have, a "club" license only allows in members and guests under certain conditions, but many clubs now have a premises license either for the whole place or for a single bar or function room. The only ways to know are to check with the club or check the local council's register of licenses (IF it's findable on-line and IF it's up to date).

Aqualung
22-08-2017, 22:16
I don't know what causes this warning panel to generate. I added a comment in the review box on this club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54372/) yesterday. It should have that generic panel, it seems to me, but I don't know what it needs to produce it.

I suspect that the addition of this was an intervention by Dave when he had to approve additions. Now that the so called dwarves approve new entries it's probably not possible to add it. I'd rather not get involved in the old argument about whether clubs should appear as they already on here along with all the chain restaurants, night clubs, off licences etc etc .....

Aqualung
22-08-2017, 22:25
It all depends on the type of license they have, a "club" license only allows in members and guests under certain conditions, but many clubs now have a premises license either for the whole place or for a single bar or function room. The only ways to know are to check with the club or check the local council's register of licenses (IF it's findable on-line and IF it's up to date).

Thanks for that clarification but I'm still confused! I'm not an expert on clubs and have only been to less than 10. I'm planning to revisit the Kinver Constitutional Club in December which has a very strict signing in policy but is well worth the effort.