PDA

View Full Version : New pub built on site of old one.

Aqualung
15-07-2017, 21:58
This situation is due to happen in October when the Halfway House JDW in Bletchley is due to open. It's being built on the site of the demolished Bletchley Arms and presumably will have the same address. Should this be added as a new pub or the Bletchley Arms amended? I can see Pros an Cons on both sides. My instinct is to add a new pub but does anyone disagree?

Mobyduck
16-07-2017, 06:44
No I agree, if its a complete new build then its a new pub and should be added as such.

rpadam
16-07-2017, 07:24
No I agree, if its a complete new build then its a new pub and should be added as such.
My instinct would be the same, but there are examples of both approaches on the site.

NickDavies
16-07-2017, 10:59
Hmm. What happens if a pub is burnt down, rebuilt and reopened under the same name?

rpadam
16-07-2017, 11:37
Hmm. What happens if a pub is burnt down, rebuilt and reopened under the same name?
Depends, I suppose, whether you are: a) restoring a burnt-out shell; b) building a complete replica; c) or building something new on the same spot.

Certainly would keep the existing entry in case a), not sure whether case b) has actually happened (although I suspect it has somewhere) but I would suggest new entry - even if the name was kept - in the last case?

Tricky, though...

sheffield hatter
16-07-2017, 14:26
My instinct is to add a new pub but does anyone disagree?

Completely agree.

Farway
17-07-2017, 12:29
Completely agree.

Also agree, but perhaps in the notes of both pubs somewhere add a brief note about the circumstances?

Pangolin
20-07-2017, 08:52
A case in point is the Blue Ball (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/8760/)at Sidford, Devon, where a photo album in the bar shows that the site was completely cleared after a major fire in 2006, however it was rebuilt with the frontage at least resembling the original, albeit rather larger behind. Not much doubt that it is still the Blue Ball. I would contrast that with the regrettably all-too-common situation where a large traditional pub is replaced with a modern mixed development, which happens to include a licensed premise.