PDA

View Full Version : Beermats ??

Delboy20
31-05-2010, 17:52
Hi all,

Just noticed the subject of beermats has been mentioned on another thread and it got me thinking.

As we are all a bit obsessed with pubs am I right in assuming that we have all, at some time, been beermat collectors in the past - ( or tegestologist's if you prefer ! ).

I must admit to still finding them hard to resist. Although I wouldn't say I am a collector now I do sometimes pick the odd one up. A bit sad I suppose but I do it without thinking. Not all the time, just now and then. I find them next morning on the mantlepiece with a pile of shrapnel.

Is it just me ??

Cheers,

Del.

Alesonly
31-05-2010, 18:02
Ive never actually collected them but did pick up & keep some unusual ones at Beer Festivals over the years Like Double Diamond Cask & Whitbread Porter Cask and several others.

Andy Ven
31-05-2010, 18:05
I had a decent collection until I was about 14 and then I gave them away.

I will pick up the odd one now and again, especially if they are part of a set that make up a bigger picture, but they have to be clean ones

oldboots
31-05-2010, 18:18
Is it just me ??

Cheers,

Del.

No not just you, I suffered from it until my mid-twenties then I gave the lot to the 13 year old lad next door. I do occasionally pick up the odd interesting one but I use them as beer mats at home not as an adjunct to my Obsessive Complusive Disorder :D. The other distressing condition I had was bottles..... anyone want to buy a load of old beer bottles (full ones)?

Oggwyn Trench
31-05-2010, 20:16
When me Dad died a few years back , i had the job of clearing out his old shed , the walls were covered in beermats up to 4 deep , every beer he tried he got a beermat for (if available)
I used to collect Malt Whisky bottles , allgone now to the great bottle bank in the sky

Strongers
31-05-2010, 22:37
No, I'm not that sad - I did however collect plastic beer barrel caps from the pub my old dear used to work in!:whistle:

RogerB
01-06-2010, 08:06
I have enough rubbish cluttering up my house but apart from half a dozen or so that specifically took my fancy, I have never hoarded beermats.

Conrad
01-06-2010, 11:08
My dad used to make me collect beermats when I was about 11/12, I remain convinced that it was just an excuse for him to visit pubs himself though as I don't remember ever expressing an interest at that age.

As to pubs I don't seem to ever notice them consistently these days, I always assumed they only had them if one of their suppliers happened to give them a job load.

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 11:17
Don't the reps hand them out? I suppose whether they do or not these days depends on their marketing and advertising budget

Maldenman
01-06-2010, 11:21
I collected them up to being about 19, and had literally hundreds of them on my bedroom wall. I moved away to go to poly and when I came home at the end of the first term they had all gone and my old room had been decorated in some bland guest room style.

I currently have around 30 beer festival glasses cluttering up the kitchen cupboards.

Conrad
01-06-2010, 11:45
Don't the reps hand them out? I suppose whether they do or not these days depends on their marketing and advertising budget
Certainly what I assumed, and like you say for whatever reason they don't see them as worthwhile, pity as I thought they were great for branding. Also were really handy for mopping up beer after the umpteenth time I have hit the table whilst wildly gesticulating.

Gann
01-06-2010, 12:28
I collected them up to being about 19, and had literally hundreds of them on my bedroom wall. I moved away to go to poly and when I came home at the end of the first term they had all gone and my old room had been decorated in some bland guest room style.

OMG (to use my Daughters favourite expression ), you mean I was not alone..

I had two walls and half the ceiling covered whilst in my early teens. I was particularily proud of my collection of Ind Coope Burton Ale (if my memory does not fail me) large double size beer mats that came in numbered sets of 12 (or may have been 24) each with a different beer related story on the back. i believe they did three sets in total and it took a serious amount of visits to my local to get the whole set(s). These covered most of the ceiling.

And as my Poly was driveable it wasn't until I stayed away for the final year that my collection disappeared..

I think my mum worked on the premiss that it wasn't healthy for a 21 year old , and more pertinently she had no chance of grand children if I continued to look like a saddo to any prospective conquest I brought home..

Conrad
01-06-2010, 14:42
Switching over to this thread from the what else should be in a pub thread (this one has the more appropriate title).

We clearly got Andy Ven's creative juices going (hope you don't mind me posting it up).

I still think that it is a little too soon for us to do this sort of direct marketing, but certainly good fun to speculate.

Personalising them a little may be fun, may have to be a ball point pen job though, something about review this pub by going to pubsgalore and typing in xyzgobbledigook.

trainman
01-06-2010, 15:36
Well, I don't want to sound contentious, but can anyone else now see the representation of a ghost with 4 fingers in its mouth in the PG logo? A hidden optical illusion?

Conrad
01-06-2010, 15:41
You can't say our logo isn't a good source of debate (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?575-PG-logo).

It's all good advertising I hear.

trainman
01-06-2010, 15:50
You can't say our logo isn't a good source of debate (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?575-PG-logo).

I'm soooo behind the times!

Conrad
01-06-2010, 15:56
I do wonder if I should revive that old thread, but I still like Youngie's interpretation as a lions head. :)

trainman
01-06-2010, 16:15
I still like Youngie's interpretation as a lions head. :)

Very appropriate for the forthcoming jamboree, but the print & distribution timeline might be a bit tight...

Conrad
01-06-2010, 16:21
Yeah just over 3 weeks before it is all over now.

:whistle:

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 17:05
Switching over to this thread from the what else should be in a pub thread (this one has the more appropriate title).

We clearly got Andy Ven's creative juices going (hope you don't mind me posting it up).

I still think that it is a little too soon for us to do this sort of direct marketing, but certainly good fun to speculate.

Personalising them a little may be fun, may have to be a ball point pen job though, something about review this pub by going to pubsgalore and typing in xyzgobbledigook.

Yes, you can see by comparing my artwork to my reviews that I can only be classed as one type of artist!

You could add a space on the beermat for this pub has been reviewed on Pubs Galore by........... (like a calling card)

I thought the logo looks like a ghoul puking, maybe after a few too many :sick:

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 17:20

It's all good advertising I hear.

I'm inspired..........

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 19:23
I have no beermats really, the odd one or two - i have some nice MILD pump clips though - a nice metal Highgate Dark with the old logo on - given to me by the brewery when i took their records

oldboots
02-06-2010, 08:05
Inspired by this thread, when I was out and about last night I thought I'd do a quick beermat survey, as you do. I visited 7 pubs in Liverpool 3 and five of the seven had beermats either laid on the tables or in a pile on the table. In pub 1 the beermats came from Merseyside Police and advertised a drop in centre for victims of anti gay violence. Pub 2 they came from Carlsberg, Guinness in pub3. Pub 4 had a mixture of some from a blended whisky company, a games company and the local CAMRA branch. The final pub had a mix from smaller British and European breweries, this pub is a standing beer festival which majors on UK micros and Belgian/German specialities. I didn't take any mats home and none were injured in carrying out this survey.
The two without mats were a trendy Greene King place and a part pub/part restaurant catering mainly for suits. The others were a back street local, a very basic back street local, a down at heel bar, a real ale pub and the beer festival pub.

hopwas
02-06-2010, 10:48
I loved Carling's beermat with quirky facts on other side. I spent hours browsing all beermats.

Why they don't make it anymore? :(

Farway
02-06-2010, 14:01
Never collected them, but I used to collect beer bottle labels, and matchbox tops

And bus tickets {London Transport}, the ones a Clippie used to give out, not the roll ones, the cardboardy sort, if the number added up to 21 it was even better, sad sod or what?

Andy Ven
02-06-2010, 18:07
I used to collect beer bottle labels, and matchbox tops And bus tickets {London Transport}

I once read a letter in a teenage magazine problem page where someone was concerned that they had taken an interest in the occult. The agony aunt replied that they were just an intelligent person with not enough to occupy their curiosity and not to worry. They could just as easily have got into doing x, y or z or collecting bus tickets.

There must be some pyschologists explanation for why people collect things, but it can't be too far removed from OCD. These days, for some, the habit manifests itself in taking photographs of pubs and trying to get lists of pubs up to date and into some kind of order :eek:

aleandhearty
02-06-2010, 19:41
if the number added up to 21 it was even better

Phew! Not just me then.

Farway
04-06-2010, 15:14
Now, well down memory lane, did anyone used to collect matchboxes, Swan Vesta's, and if the coloured strip inside the push out tray [that had the matches in, was a certain colour it was rumoured SV would pay prize money to the finder?

I think the magic colour was purple but as I was only about 11 it is all a distant haze now

Soup Dragon
04-06-2010, 15:19
I think the magic colour was purple ...... it is all a distant haze now

Wow, Farway, what were you smoking then?;)

Farway
04-06-2010, 15:21
Wow, Farway, what were you smoking then?;)

Dogends from the gutter mainly, crumbled into acorn pipes :o