PDA

View Full Version : Wellington and stations towards Wolverhampton

sheffield hatter
23-06-2017, 23:57
Thoroughly enjoyed our Midlands pub crawl today. A small but select crew, including new recruit Alan H, and expertly organised by Oggwyn Trench (thanks Oggy). Here's a photo taken in the Pheasant in Wellington fairly early in the proceedings. More may follow.

(L to R front row : Alan H, Trainman, Sheffield Hatter, Mrs Ale; back row: Real Ale Ray, Bucking Fastard, Quinno, Oggwyn Trench, Dave M)

Mobyduck
24-06-2017, 07:17
A motley crew if ever I saw one, glad you had a good day, gutted I couldn't make it.

trainman
24-06-2017, 11:26
Yes, another fine PuG day out and great to catch up with those who could make it.
Sorry I bailed at Codsall, worried about my connection so chose the more frequent option from Wolverhampton. Slight faux pas as I left the Great Western and asked the way back to New Street, oops.
Back to Brum next Sat on a £4ew ticket, considering other possibilities out of town.

Only managed two photos, one of them for our resident apple-head, in absentia...

sheffield hatter
24-06-2017, 12:25
L to R: Real Ale Ray, Oggwyn Trench and Alan H outside the Pheasant, Wellington; Trainman and Alan H in White Hart, Shifnal; Trainman; Real Ale Ray and Quinno also in White Hart; Oggwyn Trench in White Hart; Dave M with well-disguised can of real ale in Platform Ale House, Albrighton; Alan H, Real Ale Ray, Dave M and Mrs Ale in the Crown (Joules), Codsall.

Quinno
24-06-2017, 12:31
Hope you all had a good last section of the crawl. I had a fairly rough journey home and am under the weather today - think I must have got a bug. Good news is that my phone isn't completely screwed and is being repaired this afternoon.

Cheers Oggy for organising it, there were some excellent pubs I may never have been to otherwise!

See you all next time.

Oggwyn Trench
24-06-2017, 12:46
A good days drinking , glad to see Quinno made it home safe , hope you feel better soon mate .

Glad everyone enjoyed it , nice to catch up after being out of the loop for a while .

Bit fragile this morning , not helped by being dragged Cloths shopping by the Wife .

Cider Drinker
24-06-2017, 21:51
Oh what! Dave said there was no cider at all. The little fibber. Sorry I missed it. X

Bucking Fastard
25-06-2017, 16:59
I would also like to thank Oggy for organising a memorable day in the field,so many great pubs,fine ale and good company.And we didnt miss any trains either,although some were tight!

Real Ale Ray
27-06-2017, 14:47
Bit late with this, but many thanks to Oggy for organising the crawl on Friday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, some fab beers sampled, great pubs, and as always, great company. Brill to have Alan on board too.

Made it to Ashby de la Zouch and Melbourne on Saturday for some more superb ales

:cheers:

Aqualung
05-07-2017, 23:24
I've read with interest the reviews of this crawl. With regard to the Codsall Station and the locals, thinking back the bar area could be a bit of a clique but I've always parked myself in the rear conservatory. They usually have Holden's Mild on. Re BF's barking dog in the Platform Ale House, the last time I was there it was overrun with kids following their sports event. I would have preferred the barking dog (no I don't mean the Spoons!!!) any day.
I've got a visit to the Crown Joules earmarked. Now I'm running out of Spoons I can realistically get to on a day out I will defo revisit Shifnal and Oakengates this winter.
With Oakengates, which is the best of the three? My favourite on the day I went there was the Station but like Real Ale Ray I gave them a blanket 9.

Oggwyn Trench
06-07-2017, 08:00
I know i am slightly biased but the Station is the best pub in Oakengates , the variety and quality of beers are superb , the Fighting Cocks suffers from being a managed house with a high turnover of managers , they got through 5 last year , they are on their 2nd since Hop and Stagger took over a few months ago soon to be on their 3rd . The Crown could be much better , but to many weeks just has to many boring beers on Goffs , Tring , etc .

Another strange trait is locals from the Station will wander up the Fighting Cocks for a pint or two , and locals from the Fighting Cocks will wander down to the Station for a pint or two , very rare that any cross the road to the Crown.

Local CAMRA bigwigs prefer the Crown and dislike the Station which comfirms my theory they have not got a clue .

Local CAMRA pub of the year is the White Hart in Shifnal and Town pub of the Year the Cock Hotel in Wellington , the reviews on here suggest we have different ideas .

AlanH
06-07-2017, 14:44
I know i am slightly biased but the Station is the best pub in Oakengates , the variety and quality of beers are superb , the Fighting Cocks suffers from being a managed house with a high turnover of managers , they got through 5 last year , they are on their 2nd since Hop and Stagger took over a few months ago soon to be on their 3rd . The Crown could be much better , but to many weeks just has too many boring beers on Goffs , Tring , etc .

Having visited Oakengates a few times recently at different times of the day, I agree the Station is the best for both atmosphere and beer. The Crown was very quiet on a Saturday lunch and full with a young crowd in the evening. The Station had a more regular trade both lunch and evening. On our Friday, the Crown had a much smaller beer range, the Fighting Cocks was surprisingly quiet but the station was full of life. Oh, and they have Bathams. Not Oggwyn's cup of tea but a long term favourite of mine. Worth travelling from Wales for. The pies are great too!
They are all still good pubs and I would not mind any of them just down the road to add to the Bridge End at Ruabon.

Aqualung
06-07-2017, 23:59
I would not mind any of them just down the road to add to the Bridge End at Ruabon.

That's one of the two pubs I thought should be on that Wales list I posted the other day. The other one was the Neuadd Arms in Llanwrtyd Wells.
As an occasional visitor to Oakengates I would ALWAYS visit all three! I'd leave the Station until last in case I got "stuck".

Oggwyn Trench
18-07-2017, 19:21
Just announced today , Wellington Station is to have a major refurb which will include a Micro Brewery , hopefully they will have a Brewery Tap on the Station.:pray:

Real Ale Ray
18-07-2017, 20:23
Just announced today , Wellington Station is to have a major refurb which will include a Micro Brewery , hopefully they will have a Brewery Tap on the Station.:pray:

Good excuse for a return visit!

oldboots
19-07-2017, 10:15

Don't suppose it'll be done by September when I'm there?

Oggwyn Trench
19-07-2017, 19:50
Don't suppose it'll be done by September when I'm there?

No chance , if it was the Town Centre they would spend/waste millions on it getting it done .

Aqualung
19-07-2017, 23:37
Good excuse for a return visit!

Who needs an excuse?

AlanH
28-07-2017, 14:58
Who needs an excuse?

Me! I am full of excuses, so that means plenty of visits.:drinkup: :cheers: