PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Prediction Game

Millay
31-05-2010, 14:09
Following on from Roger’s sweepstake idea I thought some of you might want to take part in a game to predict the results of the World Cup games. There’s a website I’ve used before called SportGuru that runs competitions for sports predictions. I entered the World T20 Cricket competition and came 23rd, albeit there were only about 1,200 players.

They’ve set a game up for the World Cup and it’s a bit different to the usual Fantasy Games where you pick an actual team and get points for goals, clean sheets etc. In this one you just have to predict the result of each game, e.g. England 3 USA 1.

You get a point for correctly predicting the winner of each game, or a draw, and if you get this right you can earn further points for getting the score right or the winning margin. For instance, in the example above if England were to win 2-0 you get an extra 0.5 point for getting the goal difference right. If they were to win 3-2 you get 0.25 of a point for getting the number of England goals right. There are also bonus points available for the best predictions in our private league.

This all seems a bit complicated, and actually it is, but there’s no need to worry about that, all you have to do is to log on to the site and predict the result of each game. You don‘t need to be around a PC for every game as you can enter your picks in advance, say once a week.

I’ve set up a private league on the site called Pubs Galore Forum. All you need to do is to go to this web page and register (http://www.sportguru.co.uk/worldcup/) (you don’t get loads of spam) then click on the Join a Pool link and you‘ll see a box asking you for a code. Enter the code ‘bilebrow’ and you’ll be in, and can see which other PuG members are playing. Let me know when you have as I probably need to accept you into the league.

Dave M
31-05-2010, 14:25
Thanks for setting that up, I've just joined.

Could be quite fun to see how badly lacking my knowledge of international football is!! :muppet:

Strongers
31-05-2010, 14:47
I'm in... Will pick the scores nearer the time so that my brain can be properly mashed by all of the statistics out of the Sun and opinions of friends!

Conrad
31-05-2010, 15:24
Thanks for that, signed up now, will make my predictions later, preferably when suitably drunk.

hopwas
31-05-2010, 15:26
Thanks for that, signed up now, will make my predictions later, preferably when suitably drunk.

Have you signed up Roger's world cup sweepstakes? It is free you know

Conrad
31-05-2010, 15:34
He is out of numbers.

hopwas
31-05-2010, 15:43
He is out of numbers.

Oh bad luck.. I was looking foward to you join sweepstakes.

Never mind eh?

Conrad
31-05-2010, 15:53
Spares me the embarrassment of having to look up on a map where the country I have drawn is :D

Millay
31-05-2010, 16:08
Strongers, Conrad and Dave have been accepted into the league so we are currently four. All are welcome, plenty of time to go.

RogerB
31-05-2010, 16:33
My temproray internet connection is drifting in and out of consciousness so I'll have a longer look at it when I am at work tomorrow but I'm sure I'll be part of it!

Delboy20
31-05-2010, 16:58
Ok I have registered - then there were 5 !

Good luck to all and may the best man win !!

Millay
31-05-2010, 17:20
Ok I have registered - then there were 5 !

Good luck to all and may the best man win !!
Great, just approved your entry Delboy

Gann
31-05-2010, 19:48
I'm in as well...

I missed the sweepstake thread, but that may be a good thing for you all, as I pulled Italy out of the work one four years ago, and that was for serious real cash......:)

Millay
31-05-2010, 19:58
I'm in as well...

Welcome Gann, just approved your entry, now we are six

Strongers
31-05-2010, 23:08
My misses has shown an interest and would like to join, I'm about to sign her up.

gillhalfpint
01-06-2010, 00:25
I have just gone through registration. Hope I get internet connection ok in Belgium and Holland. PC not wifi and dongle costs a bomb abroad so will have to resort to Palm Handheld gizzmo thingy or a small ubisurfer notepad rubbish that is wifi eventually.

hondo
01-06-2010, 06:44
just signed up

Evil Gazebo
01-06-2010, 07:33
I've just joined. Cheers for this Millay, should be fun.

gillhalfpint
01-06-2010, 08:44
I have made round 1 predictions, but it won't accept round 2 and round 3. Keeps coming up to make at least 1 pic, and I have.

trainman
01-06-2010, 08:46
When I populated the scores for round1 the site systemically removed the 'will pick later' check-box, but for round2 I had to untick those boxes manually to have the scores accepted.

RogerB
01-06-2010, 09:31
I have signed up under my umbrella name of Dodgeworld!

gillhalfpint
01-06-2010, 09:55
Thanks, I have them all in now. Just worried that last 16 starts before we get back, so may not get first couple of predictions on.

I have given my predictions to football crazy Hartlepool supporter son up north, just for a laugh. Hoping he gives me his then it will be game on!!

Crossste
01-06-2010, 12:05
Nice one Millay, i just signed up and expect to come last

hondo
01-06-2010, 13:35
1st round of fixtures done come on Les Éléphants

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 19:20
will sign up asap - sorry i missed the sweepstake - a lot on at the moment, cant even get much reviewing done!

Conrad
01-06-2010, 19:35
You should go and moan in the sweepstake thread, you may convince one of the dual number hogs to give one up ;), or me and Dave are happy to pass ours on, I can have fun laughing at the rest of you.

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 19:40
ok, Sonny jim, i will!

Millay
02-06-2010, 06:19
Great response, everyone accepted and we have a league of 14 so far.

trainman
02-06-2010, 06:53
This should be most enjoyable Millay, thanks for setting it up.

It seems to view others' predictions you don't go to an individual profile, but to the 'results' tab above the list of group members - makes sense as you can then view all predictions for each game in one place.

Watched World Cup 'shocks' (shockers?) last night and the nerves finally started to tingle - getting close!

By the way, that argie break away that they nearly scored from in '98 after they disallowed Sol's goal coz their keeper barged into Alan Shearer; well although Anderton, of all people, made a great interception in the box their striker was miles offside - in the box with defenders a yard outside when the ball is played - play with the freeze-frame here (3:20 onwards)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv8mdGoQLqE&NR=1

Grailhunter
02-06-2010, 13:53
I have also signed up and done a first batch of predictions.
Should be good fun. Looking forward to coming last as is my usual luck with these things.
Still, it's the taking part that counts.

Soup Dragon
02-06-2010, 23:02
I have signed up as soup dragon, just did 1 prediction to see how it worked, will do the rest asap

Millay
03-06-2010, 05:04
Great, Soup Dragon and Grailhunter's applications both accepted, up to 16.

Evil Gazebo
03-06-2010, 12:21
My first round of fixtures done. Now my anticipation of the World Cup is heightened even more!

I like the way you can't see what others have predicted until you have entered your own.

Conrad
03-06-2010, 14:30
I like the way you can't see what others have predicted until you have entered your own.
There goes my master plan then!

trainman
03-06-2010, 16:07
Does anyone know Lucy?

Millay
03-06-2010, 20:05
Does anyone know Lucy?
Lucy is Strongers' other half (see post no.15), that age-old trick of managing to get two teams entered ;)

Millay
03-06-2010, 20:13
Just worried that last 16 starts before we get back, so may not get first couple of predictions on.

All may not be lost Gill, there is a system whereby the site will allocate a default pick if you miss one. I think you get 5 default picks in total and the pick allocated to you will be a win for the team that is highest in the world rankings.

RogerB
04-06-2010, 09:05
I am going to struggle to get the remaining predictions in as well as we will be beyond Hadrians Wall where electricity hasn't been invented yet. Hopefully I can rub a few sticks together to generate some kind of power to wire up the laptop.

... and what has Crosste got against Australians!:confused:

Crossste
04-06-2010, 11:07
... and what has Crosste got against Australians!:confused:

Eh???????????????

RogerB
04-06-2010, 11:09
Eh???????????????

He's got them down for a 5-0 defeat to Germany!

Crossste
04-06-2010, 11:20
He's got them down for a 5-0 defeat to Germany!

It,s my banker.

Never a bad day when the Aussie,s get beat.

Conrad
04-06-2010, 11:22
Well if they will play Luke Wilkshire as a defender (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43976/squadlist.html). Was an ok player, but wouldn't put him in defence (or against Germany for that matter).

RogerB
04-06-2010, 11:44
It,s my banker.

Never a bad day when the Aussie,s get beat.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. 0-0 would be nice!

hopwas
04-06-2010, 12:08
Germany's first game in 2002 World Cup was 8-0 drubbing of Saudi Arabia. I would agree with crossste with this case.

RogerB
04-06-2010, 12:18
Germany's first game in 2002 World Cup was 8-0 drubbing of Saudi Arabia. I would agree with crossste with this case.

5-0 to Germany is currently 50-1 at William Hills if you really fancy it!

hopwas
04-06-2010, 12:34
5-0 to Germany is currently 50-1 at William Hills if you really fancy it!

Mmmmm... I fancy a flutter on it. I would win £510 with £10 bet.

RogerB
04-06-2010, 12:37
Mmmmm... I fancy a flutter on it. I would win £510 with £10 bet.

Or you could just lose £10.

trainman
09-06-2010, 08:26
I see we have just delboy & Conrad playing their hand close to their chest in delaying selection of the first tranche of games - evidently waiting for news of further training injuries which could sway the balance...

A few others have not yet populated what the site refers to as 'round2' - don't forget that is just terminology for the later of the first tranche games. Understandable to wait for the 2nd wave of games (#s 17-32) to assess (hahaha) first match performances but, if you aint gonna be around (Roger), you may want to complete scores to a certain date.

Who knows newcomer tonytequila?

RogerB
09-06-2010, 09:07
if you aint gonna be around (Roger), you may want to complete scores to a certain date.

I've done all the group matches as I probably won't get a chance to do them later on. Will be back for the second phase when hopefully I will have a bit more reasoning behind my judgement!

Millay
09-06-2010, 13:41
Who knows newcomer tonytequila?

I was going to ask the same thing. His profile says he’s an American working in the oil & gas industry in Lagos. He’s played SportGuru games before so may have somehow stumbled upon our pool and decided to join. I’m not inclined to accept him into the fold unless he is actual a PG Forum user.

So Tonytequila, if you’re out there declare yourself and I’ll happily approve your application.

Millay
10-06-2010, 20:12
So Tonytequila, if you’re out there declare yourself and I’ll happily approve your application.
Haven't heard anything so I've rejected the application.

That leaves 16 of us and looks like just Delboy20 who is holding back on his predictions. Get in quick though Delboy the first game is 3pm tomorrow.

Strongers
10-06-2010, 21:24
Lucy is Strongers' other half (see post no.15), that age-old trick of managing to get two teams entered ;)

:eek: Argentina 1 - 3 Nigeria... I think not!:p

Millay
10-06-2010, 21:27
:eek: Argentina 1 - 3 Nigeria... I think not!:p
You'd better hope you beat Lucy now :p

Delboy20
10-06-2010, 21:44
OK OK I have done them.

Had a busy week. Job interviews, MOT run out etc...

Anyway, you should always save the best til last !!!

Strongers
10-06-2010, 21:56
You'd better hope you beat Lucy now :p

I'm starting to regret mentioning it.. I feel that I have set myself up for a fall, or maybe fool!

Strongers
13-06-2010, 21:40
Conrad and Delboy, you need to do your picks by lunchtime tomorrow!

trainman
14-06-2010, 06:51
I noticed some instances where 'margin points' were not awarded for the correct score of one of the teams (0.25pt) but now conclude that these apply only if the win/draw result has been correctly forecast.

Strongers
14-06-2010, 07:28
I noticed some instances where 'margin points' were not awarded for the correct score of one of the teams (0.25pt) but now conclude that these apply only if the win/draw result has been correctly forecast.

I noticed that I know nothing about international football. 8 played, 2 correct and 6 wrong. I would have done better if I'd drawn the results out of a hat.

Crossste
14-06-2010, 09:17
I noticed that I know nothing about international football. 8 played, 2 correct and 6 wrong. I would have done better if I'd drawn the results out of a hat.

Ditto. Played or watched football for 50 years and i am still non the wiser.

Delboy20
14-06-2010, 10:03
I have a bet on the correct scores for the Villa every match. My record so far in the World Cup shows why I am not rich yet !!

I am going to get my daughter to pick my results in the future - she can't do any worse than me !!

Conrad
14-06-2010, 14:27
Ditto. Played or watched football for 50 years and i am still non the wiser.
Isn't that what makes it enjoyable though ;)

Have to admit my attempts are proving fairly pathetic.

Millay
14-06-2010, 20:21

Yes, you're right trainman, if you don't get the 'win team 1 - draw- win team 2' result right then you get no points. If you do get it right you get 1pt. Then get 0.5pt if you also got the goal difference right and 0.25pt for each team where you got the correct number of goals. So if you get the score spot on you should get 2pts.

Then there's the bonus points allocated between our pool, but don't ask me how to work that one out :confused:

Strongers
14-06-2010, 20:30
I think that the person nearest to the correct result gets a bonus point, and if there are more than one the point is split 0.5, 0.33, 0.25.. Could be wrong though!

Conrad
15-06-2010, 12:11
Well something else I have to be grateful to Soup for. There is someone on here worse than me at predicting International Football results.

Strongers
15-06-2010, 13:22
I'd be doing really well if the matches only lasted 80 minutes - Once again a late goal has made my maximum points turn into a big fat zero!

Well done to New Zealand for their first ever World Cup point - Basts!

Conrad
15-06-2010, 13:33
Nice result for trainman though. Have to admit I did enjoy seeing New Zealand score the late goal, I thought they had done enough.

Crossste
15-06-2010, 19:37
Well done N Z. But is this, so far, the dullest World Cup ever. Due to work commitments, or lack of them, i have watched every game but apart from the Germany match and perhaps the first game there is nowt to shout about. It seem that teams are more afraid of losing rather than the anticipation of winning. All to the background of those flippin vuvuzala,s.

Strongers
15-06-2010, 20:55
Well done N Z. But is this, so far, the dullest World Cup ever. Due to work commitments, or lack of them, i have watched every game but apart from the Germany match and perhaps the first game there is nowt to shout about. It seem that teams are more afraid of losing rather than the anticipation of winning. All to the background of those flippin vuvuzala,s.

I've seen hem all for the same reason and I have to agree that the vast majority of games are rubbish. I enjoyed the Germany game and The Argie game was good along with the performance of a lifetime from the North Koreans tonight. Hopefully the nerves will go and we'll have some great second round group games.

Also, I didn't think that I could dislike Ronaldo(h) any more than I do, but he always manages to amaze me how much of a cheat he is.

Evil Gazebo
15-06-2010, 22:31
the dullest World Cup ever.

The dullest World Cup ever is still better than the most exciting other sporting event ever. It's the World Cup. It's great. :)

Anyway, nothing can be worse than the opening batch of games from 1990, which were a total snore-fest so far as I can remember. And in those days the pass-back to the 'keeper was allowed too. Imagine if that was still allowed now...

trainman
16-06-2010, 06:37
Just topped up a few predictions (with the precious 'insight' that the first round of matches has offered, hahaha) & notice that Gann & EG might want to get their scores in for tonight's game.
Gill has tomorrow evening's match down as the game of the tournament so far - Mexico 4: France 3, sounds like a cracker!

Evil Gazebo
16-06-2010, 07:56
Had to admire Dave's loyalty to his sweepstake pick last night. 15 of us going for a comfortable Brazil victory, and his solitary vote for a North Korea win.

Gann
16-06-2010, 11:54
notice that Gann & EG might want to get their scores in for tonight's game.
Now done. Been away for the last few days in Bavaria for a sales conference. According to our German continental colleagues the rest of us might as well go home now, they have it in the bag..
I did try and explain that the rest of Europe will really enjoy watching a German team start very well and then implode in the quarters instead of their usual approach of being shit but efficient in scraping through 1-0 all the way to the final.

Gill has tomorrow evening's match down as the game of the tournament so far - Mexico 4: France 3, sounds like a cracker!
Ah if only for a bit of excitement, but with this ball, no chance I feel...:(

Soup Dragon
16-06-2010, 11:59
Well something else I have to be grateful to Soup for. There is someone on here worse than me at predicting International Football results.

I would like to say that my predictions have been spot on - it is their performances that have been s***! In truth, i play better than i predict - i played a 5aside with Andy Ven last night, i predicted a 0-0 draw..... it was 63-41 at the end!

It doesn't de-value my PG reports does it?

Oh, and OB sends his best to all, i met him at the Black Country Museum yesterday and had a couple at the Bottle n Glass:)

Millay
19-06-2010, 10:04
Congratulations to Gill who has leapt to the top of the league after predicting a draw in the England v Algeria game, a triumph for reality over hope I suppose. Hondo was the only other one to predict a draw and he is currently top scorer in Round 4 and aiming for the Yellow Cap. Current Yellow Cap holder Strongers has been falling down the league and is clearly feeding Lucy duff information just to stay ahead of her.

There are a few people who haven’t yet made their picks for Round 5 which starts tomorrow so don’t miss out.

Soup Dragon
20-06-2010, 09:27
am i still bottom?

Crossste
20-06-2010, 10:53
am i still bottom?

Afraid not. that honour goes to Lucy and if she wasn,t there it would be me.

trainman
20-06-2010, 11:54
Poor Crossste; the only squeak at salvation, so far, for a HT lead to be reversed at FT was the USA game, but their apparently good 'winner' against Slovenia was harshly disallowed.

At least that match showed that concerted attacking might produce goals against Slovenia - we can't be as toothless again, can we?

Crossste
20-06-2010, 12:13
Poor Crossste; the only squeak at salvation, so far, for a HT lead to be reversed at FT was the USA game, but their apparently good 'winner' against Slovenia was harshly disallowed.

Rub it in why dont ya. When the goal went in i thought i had broke my duck. I,m sticking with it though. We can,t go all way through without a reversal........can we.......surely not? Grasping at straw smilie required.

trainman
22-06-2010, 09:30
delboy, Lucy, & Evil G might want to look at populating scores for today's games?

Delboy20
22-06-2010, 10:19
delboy, Lucy, & Evil G might want to look at populating scores for today's games?

Just done them, thanks for the reminder !

I seem to be the "Yellow Cap" hoplder. That can't be right, I am still near the bottom !!

trainman
22-06-2010, 11:46
I seem to be the "Yellow Cap" holder. That can't be right, I am still near the bottom !!

Yellow cap is assigned in each 'round' (as divided by sportguru) - you were top of the heap for round 5...

Gann
24-06-2010, 09:45
Bugger !

Bleeding Aussies cost me the Yellow cap for round 6..

Well done to our Captain though....

Conrad
24-06-2010, 15:32
Just checking my predictions and noticed trainman has missed the latest round and the first couple of matches already played.

Pubsignman
24-06-2010, 16:30
Did anyone predict the World Champions finishing bottom of their group, below New Zealand? What odds could you have got on that?

trainman
24-06-2010, 17:09
noticed trainman has missed the latest round and the first couple of matches already played.
D'oh!! Ah well, I don't think I would have nailed those two. Thanks for the warning though Conrad, tonight's selections now made.

trainman
24-06-2010, 17:24
trainman has missed the ... first couple of matches

Btw, they (sportguru pools panel) assigned me 0-0 as 'predictions' for both games, but didn't give me any points for the Paraguay - NZ draw.

runningdog
24-06-2010, 19:16
Did anyone predict the World Champions finishing bottom of their group, below New Zealand? What odds could you have got on that?

Well, blue is definitely not the colour, not this time round. The little bit of Irish in me loved that.:drinkup:

Strongers
24-06-2010, 22:07
My misses is chuffed to bits that she is no longer holding up the table!

trainman
25-06-2010, 08:06
As the only one, to date (I think), to miss out on a couple of selections, I should advise that two participants have yet to nominate for today's games. (But don't tell Gann, coz he's top!)

Gann
25-06-2010, 09:53
(But don't tell Gann, coz he's top!)

:) I'm still on the ball....
As its been such a beery week I am having difficulty thinking more than one day in advance at the moment, so am doing them on the morning of the games. I know that's a high risk strategy if I don't make it home from the night before, but it's working so far.

And thank you for spotting my recent surge to the top of the table, which was largely due to being the only one to predict Japans victory last night. As I work for a Japanese company this was a decision made with the heart rather than the head..

And as it worked I've done it again by predicting Chile to beat Spain.....;)

Evil Gazebo
25-06-2010, 13:10
With the knockout stage starting tomorrow, I only just found out via that email that results will be decided by the score after extra-time, if played. I would've assumed that the 90 minute result was what we were guessing, so just to let you all know if, like me, you didn't already.

It seems if you pick a draw, you then get the option to choose the penalty shoot-out winner or something. It's getting confusing now, I'm off for a beer.

Gann
25-06-2010, 14:07
Well, at least it makes the England game easy to predict...

1-1 after full time and extra time, Germany to win on penalties....

I really should read that Positive Thinking Self Help book again.................:(

Conrad
25-06-2010, 14:12
I really don't get this negativity, probably helps that I have only come to football in the last decade though.

I did like the observation on the radio that Germany had not beaten England in open play since 1970 (I think that is right).

Evil Gazebo
25-06-2010, 15:13
Only in finals, Conrad - Germany beat England 1-0 at Wembley in that game which led to Kevin Keegan resigning in the toilet. The 3 times they have met in the final stages competitions since 1970 have all been drawn - 1982, 1990 and 1996. So England haven't beaten Germany either.

Evil Gazebo
25-06-2010, 15:30
Apart from that time when England beat Germany 1-0 in Charleroi in 2000.

exits red-faced

Crossste
25-06-2010, 15:30
To ensure England progress to the next stage i will pick Germany to win in the prediction game. Cant fail.

Conrad
25-06-2010, 15:38
I said I liked the observation, I didn't say it was true :o

Pretty poor effort though, that will teach me to listen to TalkSport, although changing channel would have required working out the radio in the loaner I was using.

Don't like this Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_and_Germany_football_rivalry#All_matches_b etween_England_and_German_teams), genuinely though I haven't been that impressed by the German team recently, sadly the same can be said of the English side, I do think it will come down to who fires on the day.

Also the first half of the Brazil match just had me getting fed up of the Portuguese moaners, second half is just sending me to sleep, soon be beer O'Clock.

Millay
26-06-2010, 06:02
With the knockout stage starting tomorrow, I only just found out via that email that results will be decided by the score after extra-time, if played. I would've assumed that the 90 minute result was what we were guessing, so just to let you all know if, like me, you didn't already.

It seems if you pick a draw, you then get the option to choose the penalty shoot-out winner or something. It's getting confusing now, I'm off for a beer.

I did wonder how this would work in the knockout stage and think you are spot on with this EG. I guess with extra time counting it takes the draw further out of the equation and could lead to higher scoring results - that's my theory anyway.

Grailhunter
02-07-2010, 12:33
Interesting to see that only Dave M and myself have gone for the Netherlands to beat Brazil. I'm confident that they will so this should give me a decent leg up the table while nearly everyone else gets no points !!
At least that's my masterplan.

Evil Gazebo
02-07-2010, 13:16
Was astounded to find myself inexplicably top of the table yesterday morning, having been languishing in 14th place about a week ago. Finally I get to wear that rather fetching little yellow cap for a while, as well, before plunging back down to mid-table anonymity, no doubt.

Dave M
02-07-2010, 15:53
Interesting to see that only Dave M and myself have gone for the Netherlands to beat Brazil. I'm confident that they will so this should give me a decent leg up the table while nearly everyone else gets no points !!
At least that's my masterplan.
And an excellent plan it proved to be! I reckon that is 3 points to you, 1.75 for me and nothing for the rest. Now where is that smug looking smiley! :D

Millay
03-07-2010, 06:45
That Holland result puts Grailhunter and Dave in 5th and 6th respectively. Evil Gazebo now top followed by Pubsignman and Gann. In fact there’s only about four points separating the top 6 so all to play for, especially as the points for correct predictions increase as we get to the later stages of the tournament.

Millay
05-07-2010, 19:16
There are only four of us who have made our predictions for the semi-finals so far so get your picks in soon. First game is tomorrow Tuesday 6th and the second game the following day. Both kick-off at 7.30pm, unless of course you are in a Wetherspoons who, according to their fixture cards and some posters I saw yesterday, seem to think the games start at 3pm.

Millay
06-07-2010, 20:07
I’m one of the few who went for Uruguay in the first semi-final, I really thought they had a good chance. It’s now 3-1 to Holland and I’m feeling a bit :o:o

Grailhunter is the only one right on the money if the score stays as it is.

gillhalfpint
06-07-2010, 20:48
Can't believe I am one of the 2 that got it right at 3 - 2 to Holland. Wanted to give it to Uruguay due to sweepstake, but sense made me give it to Holland.

Millay
06-07-2010, 21:24
Can't believe I am one of the 2 that got it right at 3 - 2 to Holland. Wanted to give it to Uruguay due to sweepstake, but sense made me give it to Holland.

That late goal for Uruguay did it for you and Crosste Gill, well done.

Evil Gazebo
08-07-2010, 19:28
Bah! Last night's semi-final was the first time I have failed to get my prediction in on time. Sodding Orange bloody mobile internet. Mind you, I was trying to log in to predict a 2-1 win for Germany, so it didn't matter, really, except that now I can't see everyone's predictions. Anyone call it spot-on?

RogerB
09-07-2010, 10:08
Looks like the Octopus has gone for Spain - must pop down the bookies at lunchtime!

Conrad
09-07-2010, 23:17
Bah! Last night's semi-final was the first time I have failed to get my prediction in on time. Sodding Orange bloody mobile internet. Mind you, I was trying to log in to predict a 2-1 win for Germany, so it didn't matter, really, except that now I can't see everyone's predictions. Anyone call it spot-on?
Sorry only just remembered this:
Germany - Spain
Gill 4 - 1
trainman 3 - 1
Dodgeworld 3 - 1
Pubsignman 3 - 1
delboy20 2 - 0
Dave M 2 - 1
Conrad 2 - 1
Crosste 2 - 1
gann 1 - 0
hondo 1 - 1 (Germany)
soup dragon 1 - 1 (Germany)
CliveJ 1 - 1 (Spain)
Grailhunter 1 - 3
Strongers DNP
Lucy DNP
Evil Gazebo DNP

Evil Gazebo
20-07-2010, 15:05
Belated congratulations to Pubsignman - I was in 2nd place behind him going into the final, so needed to better his prediction to win. I submitted my 1-0 to Spain, to discover his prediction was ... 1-0 to Spain! So I knew I had no chance before the game even kicked off.

Well done again, and thanks to Millay for the initial idea - I'd never heard of SportGuru before, and thought it was a great competition.

Conrad
20-07-2010, 15:07
Yeah, well done Millay, it was good fun and I am rubbish :)

Pubsignman
21-07-2010, 10:09
Belated congratulations to Pubsignman - I was in 2nd place behind him going into the final, so needed to better his prediction to win. I submitted my 1-0 to Spain, to discover his prediction was ... 1-0 to Spain! So I knew I had no chance before the game even kicked off.

Well done again, and thanks to Millay for the initial idea - I'd never heard of SportGuru before, and thought it was a great competition.

Thanks EG. There were four or five people who could have still won the league going into the last game, so it was a close run thing.

And thanks also to Millay for setting up the league. Do they do one for any of the football leagues?

Conrad
21-07-2010, 12:14
RogerB has set up a Fantasy Football League (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3049-Pubs-Galore-Fantasy-Football-League-2010-11) which is for premiership players. Not quite a pools approach but should be good fun, and I can assure that I will be just as gifted at that.