PDA

View Full Version : Men Brewing Badly

trainman
30-05-2010, 06:05
That's right! It's 06:45 on Sunday morning & I'm on the bloody computer, so I think you can guess I've NOT been able to take advantage of the many beer festivals on offer this weekend. Grrr!

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if anyone caught the first episode of Men Brewing Badly (repeated today & tmw, itv4) with Morrissey (Neil, not 'The') & Fox, ostensibly making a journey across Africa to transport 'real English ale' (theirs) to our fans in South Africa, thus boosting supporters' morale & ultimately assisting England to win the World Cup. Erm, ok.
It's a lightweight, easy watching travelogue & I think we can expect some predictable pitfalls to be tossed into the works en route, but would watching the series signify tacit forgiveness for the unspeakable stuff they did to Ye Olde Punchbowl?

oldboots
30-05-2010, 08:56
That's right! It's 06:45 on Sunday morning & I'm on the bloody computer, so I think you can guess I've NOT been able to take advantage of the many beer festivals on offer this weekend. Grrr!

I went to this festival yesterday, might go back today as well :cheers: as it's a pub one and they'll still have "festival" beers on.

fortunately it was not "Alkoholfrei"

would watching the series signify tacit forgiveness for the unspeakable stuff they did to Ye Olde Punchbowl?

The Punchbowl has new people running it and, apart from the trendy makeover, isn't a bad pub nowadays. The people of Marton cum Grafton will probably never forgive FoxMorrisey but it won't stop me watching them making arses of themselves (again).... beats watching James May and Oz Clarke doing worse things in Burton on Trent. Their behaviour at Burton was genuinely unforgivable, like pi55ing in a church font.

aleandhearty
31-05-2010, 13:26
... beats watching James May and Oz Clarke doing worse things in Burton on Trent. Their behaviour at Burton was genuinely unforgivable, like pi55ing in a church font.

Must have missed that episode, what did they do?

oldboots
31-05-2010, 17:33
Pete Brown explains it far better than I could - http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2009/02/oh-dear-oz-and-james-just-went-rather.html

Millay
31-05-2010, 18:51
This programme is being repeated on ITV4 tonight at 8pm, i.e. in about 10 minutes time.

aleandhearty
31-05-2010, 23:08
Pete Brown explains it far better than I could ]

Looks like Ratman & Bobin excelled themselves.

This programme is being repeated on ITV4 tonight at 8pm, i.e. in about 10 minutes time.

Unfortunately, I was on my way to the Fernandes Tap when you posted, but thanks anyway.( I'm sure it'll be repeated again...and again...and again).

arwkrite
01-06-2010, 00:41
I do not think I could travel 3000 miles in any form of transport with those pair. No hope of them being eaten by lions anytime soon I suppose ? Their irritating wittering got right up my nose.

Enjoyed the African chappies though.

trainman
04-06-2010, 18:35
Well, I've watched the 2nd episode and must admit I didn't understand the inference about only American lager until I saw tonight's news which mentioned that Fifa have banned the presence of any beer that isn't budweiser!!!!!!!!!!

How can they do that? It's tasteless piss, and surely breweries of the host continent must be allowed to make something out of the tournament? I now understand more fully the, admittedly farcical, premise of the (MBB) programme, and have to support it.

oldboots
04-06-2010, 19:14
How can they do that? It's tasteless piss, and surely breweries of the host continent must be allowed to make something out of the tournament?

Money, dear boy MONEY

money talks and principles walks

Conrad
04-06-2010, 21:43
Something to look forward to if we win the bid.

arwkrite
05-06-2010, 10:53
What little I know of the citizens of South Africa leads me to believe Budweiser and FIFA are only small hurdles to cross. I think the locals , one way or the other, will provide plenty of alternatives. Some could perhaps turn you blind or give you nerve damage but I am sure local brewers will make a few bob. They will just have to wait for the Brits , Germans and Dutch to arrive.

Maldenman
05-06-2010, 11:21
Well, I've watched the 2nd episode and must admit I didn't understand the inference about only American lager until I saw tonight's news which mentioned that Fifa have banned the presence of any beer that isn't budweiser!!!!!!!!!!

How can they do that? It's tasteless piss, and surely breweries of the host continent must be allowed to make something out of the tournament? I now understand more fully the, admittedly farcical, premise of the (MBB) programme, and have to support it.

I detest these sponsorship monopolies, whatever happened to free trade? I'm sure if challenged legally they could be curbed. I seem to recall another tournament relatively recently where you could only buy tickets with a particular credit card, Mastercard maybe?

Oggwyn Trench
05-06-2010, 12:03
I know in America if an event is sponsered by Pepsi your searched to make sure you have no Coke logos or cans of coke in your coolbox(common at american sports events) its crazy

Maldenman
05-06-2010, 12:55
I know in America if an event is sponsered by Pepsi your searched to make sure you have no Coke logos or cans of coke in your coolbox(common at american sports events) its crazy

Well I'm certainly no advertising guru, but if that happened to me or anyone I know I'm sure it would be quite some time before I bought the advertisers product again. It would definitely have a reverse effect.

trainman
05-06-2010, 13:00
It would definitely have a reverse effect.

Agreed.

arwkrite
05-06-2010, 14:26
Companies that go to those extremes must have some sort of confidence problem with their brand.. I will not drink Budweiser or ANY brand of cola for the simple reasons that one is tasteless and the other has a gawd awful taste. Nothing like good old British Lemonade, full of flavourings and E numbers and no lemons. But it cuts the thirst unlike sickly sweet colas. As for Budweiser what are you supposed to do with it ? I know the adverts say drink it but tap water is cheaper and tastes better.

Millay
06-06-2010, 20:40
Wetherspoons are fighting back in their own particular way though. They’ve bought the Zululand Brewery guy over from South Africa and he’ll be brewing the Zulu Blonde that featured at the last festival during the World Cup. He’ll be brewing at Everards this time rather than Marstons. Something to look forward to :drinkup: