PDA

View Full Version : A question about your privacy?

Conrad
27-05-2010, 11:51
We have had a lot of queries about members user information pages so for instance Dave's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo.php?name=Dave+M).

The expectation appears to be that we show them in date order, now I can do this no problem with just a couple of minutes work.

But.... I am not sure I want to, whilst it only uses information that is readily available on the site does it bother you that we make it really easy to see where you visited yesterday for instance.

Or indeed are there any implications from showing the most recent work you did so visibly that would concern you?

Ultimately I am happy enough to turn this on, I just wanted to be sure I am not being dumb and missing something that some of you would find an intrusion?

Please express your opinion either way, the broader feedback I get the better it makes me feel :)

Pubsignman
27-05-2010, 13:29
I'd prefer to see this page in date order rather than the jumbled list that we have at present. I can't see any obvious privacy implications and your suggestion that other users would be able to see where I had been yesterday works on the assumption that we all upload our photos or reviews the day after visiting a particular pub, which for me at least, isn't the case.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see this page set out in date order, but with the option to re-order the list by rating, postal town, pub name alphabetically etc...

Conrad
27-05-2010, 13:40
In an ideal world, I'd love to see this page set out in date order, but with the option to re-order the list by rating, postal town, pub name alphabetically etc...
In the rewrite of the future, I would like to enable all of these (with the possible exception of date, although I am guessing we aren't going to have issues with that).

RogerB
27-05-2010, 13:42
I've got no problem re the privacy side of things but would like to see all the entries in some kind of order. Is there any chance of being able to select a choice of options ie view in date order, view in alphabetical order, view reviewed pubs only etc etc or is that getting a bit complex?

Conrad
27-05-2010, 13:46
I've got no problem re the privacy side of things but would like to see all the entries in some kind of order. Is there any chance of being able to select a choice of options ie view in date order, view in alphabetical order, view reviewed pubs only etc etc or is that getting a bit complex?
I'm just juggling posts around you today Roger :)

It is possible, it is hard to make it work in the way the rest of the site is designed now though, so one for another day as opposed to date order which is a one line addition to my code.

RogerB
27-05-2010, 13:52
Date order is a fine start for me!:)

Conrad
27-05-2010, 14:00
I think I will leave it till Monday and see what people have said and if they are fine with it I will switch on reverse date order (most recent first).

Do still post on here to let me know you are fine with this though, I would like to try and make sure no one is seeing anything I am missing.

Farway
27-05-2010, 14:26
As others, I would prefer it sortable by say town or county. I have no problem with date order though, but I never view the members contributions at present because it is such a mish mash, so sortable would be very worthwhile IMHO

Conrad
27-05-2010, 15:02
As others, I would prefer it sortable by say town or county. I have no problem with date order though, but I never view the members contributions at present because it is such a mish mash, so sortable would be very worthwhile IMHO
I can see a theme emerging here, sadly I want to get stuff like Google streetview sorted before messing with users pages.

Strongers
27-05-2010, 15:27
I'm not really bothered either way about them being chronologically listed.

Like the others though I would like to bring up another point - Is it possible to not add pubs to a users page when a website has been added, or maybe give an indication that the website has been added. I only say this as I added the Walkabout website to all of their pubs and it now looks like I'm an Aussie!

Conrad
27-05-2010, 15:35
Its a contribution you have made, so we are not going to fail to credit you with it. In the long term though it would be nice to for instance just filter by review contributions.

Andy Ven
27-05-2010, 18:05
I've said before, that providing the means to contribute to Pubs Galore taps into the obsessive compulsions of people like me ..... who feel better about things that are in order :)

Conrad
27-05-2010, 18:34
And makes the site better for everyone that uses it so it is appreciated here as well.

Gann
28-05-2010, 14:43
I'm another one where the random nature of the current view does my 'ed in...

So I too vote for order..... by date and then by selected filters as the other guys have already suggested..

Conrad
28-05-2010, 14:58
I won't have the time to do the secondary sorts for a while.

Out of interest how are you all using (or wanting to use) these pages? And why would a date order be useful? And as a pre-empt you would be happy for someone else to use your user page in the same way?

trainman
28-05-2010, 15:05
why would a date order be useful? And as a pre-empt you would be happy for someone else to use your user page in the same way?

Useful in that one could see where trusted reviewers had chosen to visit in on a specific town or area and, yes, I'd be happy for my profile to be visible in this format. The ability to view a user's comments in a consolidated chronological list would also more easily help to assess which of the pubs visited were a success.

Conrad
28-05-2010, 15:16
Useful in that one could see where trusted reviewers had chosen to visit in on a specific town or area and, yes, I'd be happy for my profile to be visible in this format. The ability to view a user's comments in a consolidated chronological list would also more easily help to assess which of the pubs visited were a success.
Thanks for that, it has kind of crystallised what is niggling in my brain (sorry I am one of those who needs to bounce ideas around to get my brain working).

Chronological seems like to me that it should only really be useful for keeping tabs on people which can certainly be bad. What you are describing would be better suited to county, town order I think? And would really need to be able to filter counties and towns I'm guessing.

It is equally easy to set it to county, town order as it is to do chronological. If we go this route I may be able to rattle up some quick and nasty filters as well (no promises).

Edit: When I say filter I mean some way to only see their contributions in one county or town probably by way of a county and town drop down in a similar manner to adding pubs.

Maldenman
28-05-2010, 16:21
My preference is certainly for the lists to be chronological, and personally I find it rather useful to see the lists of others, not in some strange stalkerish way I might add, but it is helpful sometimes to see where a known member has been recently as this can be a heads up for my own personal travels. Otherwise it relies on checking the daily lists of reviews or trawling through a long list looking for random entries.

trainman
28-05-2010, 16:23
Don't quite understand the reluctance about date order - it would all visible with a trawl through anyway.
Take Millay's expedition tomorrow - we'll probably be treated to a summary, but the ability to click on recently visited pubs for his username would be an efficient set up.

Conrad
28-05-2010, 16:42
The reluctance stems from the fact that I have received emails saying I see person x visited y place yesterday, and I wasn't comfortable to realise that some of our members were tracking other members in that way.

Before I make a change that makes it even easier to do that I want to take advantage of everyone's brains to make sure I am not missing anything.

When one of you is found strangled with their camera strap, or battered to death with your note book I don't want to feel I made it too easy for your stalker ;)

Gann
28-05-2010, 16:52
When one of you is found strangled with their camera strap, or battered to death with your note book I don't want to feel I made it too easy for your stalker ;)

Perhaps you should issue us with PUG notebook stickers, then if it does happen you'll get publicity you couldn't pay for.... :D

Conrad
28-05-2010, 16:55
Now see that is the sort of original thinking we need, if you had just said that at the start I would already have made the change :D

Brilliant reply!

arwkrite
31-05-2010, 13:39
I rarely visit the dark inner workings of PuGs. There maybe things I would not like to come face to face with ( Dave ? ) , spiders and such like. I get lost wandering around the threads but at least there is day light.
So do as you think best Conrad.

trainman
31-05-2010, 14:17

Wow! You seem to be thinking ahead of the game Conrad - are you envisaging a filter that can predict where a member is GOING to be...? If so, at the risk of becoming even more depressed, could you ask it when trainman is next going to find himself in a pub, any pub? (And maybe who's gonna win the Derby, & World Cup?). Thanks.

Conrad
31-05-2010, 16:05
Wow! You seem to be thinking ahead of the game Conrad - are you envisaging a filter that can predict where a member is GOING to be...? If so, at the risk of becoming even more depressed, could you ask it when trainman is next going to find himself in a pub, any pub? (And maybe who's gonna win the Derby, & World Cup?). Thanks.
Well we could probably make a swipe at it based on pubs you are researching. However I find it best not to assume that just because I can't work out how to do something it can't be done.

Anyway, we have reached Monday and no one seems to be against the idea or have provided any suggestions for what might go wrong, so without any need for ID cards I have switched it to reverse contribution order. I am happy to switch it off if anyone does suddenly spot an issue, but hopefully it is just me being paranoid.

Maldenman
31-05-2010, 16:24
Well we could probably make a swipe at it based on pubs you are researching.

You could have tried with me today but you'd be wrong. Plan was to head to Epsom to tick off three or four but despite the Mrs and youngest being away, and my daughter revising, intransigence set in and I've wasted the day. Feel a bit annoyed with myself too but that's my fault. A free Saturday next weekend but I'm staying well away from Epsom on Derby day.

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow, as I have a day off.

Conrad
31-05-2010, 16:33
I doubt we could ever really work out where you are going unless you tell us :), the only likely thing I could see is if you were clearly going somewhere regularly.

The bigger issue I have always bothered about is that we could probably take a stab of the square mile many of our regulars live in on the basis of reviews, and that has nothing to do with the time line.

Millay
31-05-2010, 17:20
No privacy issues with me Conrad. I like the chronological view simply because when I go to My Contributions it seems to me to make sense to see my most recent contributions first.

Conrad
31-05-2010, 17:27
It definitely makes a lot more sense when looking at yourself, I still maintain there is something a little stalkerish about it when looking at someone else though.

Rex_Rattus
31-05-2010, 17:50
Sorry I'm a bit late joining the lists on this one, but I don't have any privacy issues either. I have to say that I don't think I've used the facility, but I can see that some might find it helpful. I think it would be pretty hard to discern where I lived by tracking the pubs I've visited; though you would be able to make a good guess from things I've said here on the forums.

Millay
31-05-2010, 18:22
I think it would be pretty hard to discern where I lived by tracking the pubs I've visited; though you would be able to make a good guess from things I've said here on the forums.
Plus the fact that you've set your location as New Malden :D

Gann
31-05-2010, 20:29
You'd have to be a preety good sleuth from my reviewing name to work out where I live...

Conrad
01-06-2010, 11:53
Once again showing my SF roots I always think of Blakes 7 when I see your reviewing name Steve if N21 does somewhat reduce the guesswork though.