PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Week

ETA
19-03-2017, 17:20
I often find neologisms that I think should be shared and used more often - Moby (I think) introduced us to 'koutaliaphobia' (fear of spoons) and I'm still looking for an occasion on which to use it.

My word for this week is cenosillicophobia - fear of an empty glass, which I shall shortly address as I round up my exploration of the Pinner area.

Any others (pub and beer related, of course)?

Aqualung
19-03-2017, 17:52
Moby (I think) introduced us to 'koutaliaphobia' (fear of spoons) and I'm still looking for an occasion on which to use it.

I think that was me but the remark was obviously aimed at Moby!!!!

Aqualung
19-03-2017, 18:09
My word for this week is cenosillicophobia - fear of an empty glass.

This was a much more common affliction in the days when pubs had to shut in the afternoons. I was leaving the Fox at Mashbury in Essex (it's long gone and isn't even on the site) when I noticed a bloke at a table in front of the pub with around five full pints of Rdileys lined up. A less technical description of this phenomenon is "(going into) stacking mode".

Mobyduck
19-03-2017, 19:42

Its true, and there is no cure,hopefully.

ETA
20-03-2017, 05:52

My humblest apologies Aqualung - full credit to you.

london calling
20-03-2017, 19:03
I cant possibly comment on this subject as I suffer from hippopotemonstrosesquipedaliaphobia which as you well know is a fear of big words.

sheffield hatter
23-03-2017, 21:30
I cant possibly comment on this subject as I suffer from hippopotemonstrosesquipedaliaphobia which as you well know is a fear of big words.

Nice one, John. A bit of a thread-stopper!

Or is it a new hop from New Zealand?