PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - Goodbye 2016, and thank you

Blog Tracker
31-12-2016, 10:23
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2016/12/goodbye-2016-and-thank-you.html)

I am sure there are not many of us that will be sad to see the end of this year, that is those of us that have managed to survive until the end of the year, I have a record collection that is now almost 100% comprised of dead people. As I have alluded to previously, the editorial team have all had personal problems that have precluded us writing as much as we, and hopefully you, would have liked. And it has likewise prevented us getting out and about as much as usual.

On the plus side, Huddersfield has acquired a couple of new pubs and a couple of revamped ones. The Corner has hit the ground running, and the Arcade is great for keg and bottled beer. The work goes on at the Kings Head but it is gradually developing, and the Plumbers has opened again.

Out of town The Market Tavern in Brighouse is a must visit venue, and Halifax continues to spawn good micro pubs to make the town well worth a visit. Another place to go is Bradford which has now got a decent amount of real ale pubs in a lot smaller area than previously.

Sadly we have lost Ron Crabtree from the Sair, and Steve Johnson from the Grove and the Dog and Partridge.

On the beer front things have developed much as one would expect. I have encountered around 100 new breweries, not all good admittedly, and presumably some others have fallen by the wayside. Several local breweries have started key kegging, and canning beers as well as the more usual casking and bottling. There have been new hops appearing in various breweries beers, but I must admit that personally none seem to have a 'wow factor'. But it does seem that that the availability of cask beer is growing.

Hopefully 2017 will see a continuation of the good parts of 2016, and weed out the less good and we can be out and about reporting the great and the good locally. We hope to see you there.

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2016/12/goodbye-2016-and-thank-you.html)