PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Thing You've Seen in a Pub.

ETA
21-05-2010, 10:21
Replying to Conrad's thread on what you'd like to see in a pub, some strange memories arose. Such things as:

A vomitorium. Many years ago in Germany we used to drink in a pub which had a small room next to the bogs with a porcelain vomitorium - a funnel for throwing up into so you could drink more. There were two chrome handles to hold onto to make it more comfortable.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16639/ (The Coopers Arms, Rochester) - I'm sure there used to be an embalmed monk in the front bar many years ago, but I can't find any refernce to it anywhere now.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41691/ The Haunch of Venison Salisbury - the embalmed hand, supposedly that of a cheating card player.

Any more?

Maldenman
21-05-2010, 12:07
My brother-in-law buying a round........no, hang on, it was a dream, it didn't happen.

RogerB
21-05-2010, 12:21
I'm always on the lookout for odds and sods that clutter up pub walls and shelves. A couple that immediately spring to mind are the Yew Tree at Cauldon Waterhouses near Stoke which is a mass of memorabelia that includes a pair of Queen Victoria's stockings and a pub in Ireland (can't remember exactly where at the moment) that had a whole wall of oddities including an old pound note with 2 different serial numbers.

oldboots
21-05-2010, 18:20
For "stuff" this pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14135/) takes some beating but for incident this was the most strange but disgusting thing,

A quiet morning in the pub, Jim M stood at one end of the bar, Jim G at the other, Jim M sidells up to Jim G with his false teeth in hand; rinses them in Jim G's beer then replaces them. Jim G not unsurprisingly refuses to drink his beer and demands another. Derek the barman then picks up the beer, downs it in one and asks “kippers for breakfast Jim?”, exit Jim G with the words “that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in any pub anywhere........ever”

The landlord of the same pub once told me of his experiences in a Pompey pub the night before D-Day - I'll just say it put that pingpong ball turn on "Pheonix Nights" to shame.

arwkrite
22-05-2010, 06:50
A stuffed alligator/ crocodile mounted on the ceiling of the now closed Queens Head in Bromyard. Not exciting but no one ever knew the story of how it got there. Dead men in the bar ...I have seen a couple but not the female of the species.

Oggwyn Trench
24-05-2010, 15:58
Strange things in a pub , try this place http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/

ROBCamra
24-05-2010, 16:23
Strange things in a pub , try this place http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/

Oh yes I agree with you Oggy, add the Gifford in Wolverhampton and you've got a pair!

Strongers
27-05-2010, 16:16
I've seen a man walk through a pub holding a newspaper in one hand and some potted plastic flowers in the other whilst wearing a dressing gown. The locals didn't bat an eyelid and he didn't emerge from the toilet by the time I left twenty minutes later.

hopwas
29-05-2010, 15:05
Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham.

I had a pint in there and needed a wee so I went looking for gents.. one min later no success.. 5 min later I was getting desperate by that time so I gave up and asked the landlord. He pointed me that there is secret door! I found it and it was disguised as bookcase!

trainman
29-05-2010, 16:00
I went looking for gents.. I found it and it was disguised as bookcase!

Quality! That's gotta have some mileage in it.
Suggestions please as to what literary volumes might populate this bookcase, and what title might belong to the secret tome which grants access to the chamber beyond...?

Delboy20
29-05-2010, 16:08

I had a pint in there and needed a wee so I went looking for gents.. one min later no success.. 5 min later I was getting desperate by that time so I gave up and asked the landlord. He pointed me that there is secret door! I found it and it was disguised as bookcase!

Hi Hoppy,

I have used the same secret door. I had forgotten about that pub. Quite a spooky place full of goths with very loud music !
I quite liked it in there.

Cheers,

Del.

hopwas
29-05-2010, 16:54
Hi Hoppy,

I have used the same secret door. I had forgotten about that pub. Quite a spooky place full of goths with very loud music !
I quite liked it in there.

Cheers,

Del.

Yes! Very gothy and strange hand pumps.. it was some sort of sprial I think. Pictures of Vincent Price and Dracula theme everywhere..

I went there in Jan 2004 and it was coldest pub crawl I ever took part in (the temp was struggling above 0c)

RogerB
29-05-2010, 17:00

The London Stone at Cannon Street (an Eerie pub) also has doors in the bookcase. Also, as you step through you break a beam of light that sets off the sound of baying hounds.

Delboy20
30-05-2010, 14:34
Hi all,

This thread has got me remembering all sorts of strange things but one of the wierdest was a lion !
When I was a kid my gran used to keep a pub in Quarry Bank called The Vine. I spent many happy hours in there. It was used by plenty of local "characters".
One of them was known as the "Lion Mon" because he kept a few strange wild animals including a couple of lions. I remember seeing it sat on the bar one day !!
If my memory serves me well he applied to the council for permission to build a crocodile pit in his back garden - he got turned down !!

Cheers,

Del.

Andy Ven
30-05-2010, 17:54
When I was a kid my gran used to keep a pub in Quarry Bank called The Vine.

Top boozer!

Delboy20
30-05-2010, 18:06
It was a great pub - been gone a long time now. It was turned into a dentists !

Andy Ven
30-05-2010, 18:11
It was a great pub - been gone a long time now. It was turned into a dentists !

Not the Batham's pub then?

Delboy20
30-05-2010, 18:51
No sorry a different Vine. It was on Quarry Bank high street not far from the Church Tavern. You must mean the Bull & Bladder.

Andy Ven
30-05-2010, 19:35
Yes, that's the one I thought you meant

BTW, which bit of the Black Country are you in?

Delboy20
30-05-2010, 20:09
Cradley Heath

aleandhearty
30-05-2010, 20:09
I don't know about the strangest thing, but as the most annoying thing that's happened to me in a pub, the following took the f***ing biscuit: I was enjoying my pint of Salamander Anubis in The Duck & Drake, Leeds on Thursday lunchtime, when all of a sudden it had a dreadful cloying sweet taste. It took me a couple of seconds to twig that the young 'lady' behind me was using the pub mirror to help her direct her perfume, or not. Unfortunately, by the time I'd realised, she'd swanned out of the door. I'd no idea that Toilet Duck made a perfume. :moremad:

Andy Ven
31-05-2010, 07:37
Cradley Heath

That's proper Black Country that is. Walsall is just sort of Black Country :)

hopwas
31-05-2010, 08:33
Cradley Heath

Home of weirdest JDW in the UK... The Moon under the Water.

I'll say no more.. :whistle:

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 19:16
That's proper Black Country that is. Walsall is just sort of Black Country :)

Naaah - walsall isnt BC - Bloxwich is though!

hopwas
01-06-2010, 19:28
Naaah - walsall isnt BC - Bloxwich is though!

Ahem.. Walsall IS in Black Country

here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 20:42
does Old Boots count?

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:42
I'm not taking the bait. I'll leave you Staffs dwellers to argue it out.

One thing's for sure - it ai in Brum

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 20:44
they wanted the Saxon hoard!

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:46
Ahem.. Walsall IS in Black Country

here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country

Someone edited that page today at 9.42 - coincidence or manipulation?

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:48

Backyard Brewhouse of Brownhills (Walsall) have a claim on that

http://www.thebackyardbrewhouse.com/

hopwas
01-06-2010, 20:50

:D

Tamworth wanted Saxon Hoard so badly.. Tamworth was Capital of Mercia so Hoard was made in Mercia days. It was found near The Chase, Brownhills (by A5). Possibly fleeing from Tamworth Castle and buried there before it can be found.

One thing really p1$$ me off is Birmingham trying to claim it.. Are they kidding? Hoard was found in STAFFORDSHIRE not bloody WEST MIDLANDS. :moremad:

Rant over!

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 20:52
it wasn't me! - historically, I BELIEVE, the BC stopped short of the town of Walsall, but extended into Bloxwich, which is in the parish of Walsall - the BC followed the open cast coal fields, hence Bloko was in (visit the lamp tavern!). Since the 1960s, when Walsall Corportation took over Darlaston and Willenhall UDC's (that were in the BC) it has almost become a given the Walsall is now in the BC - even though part of the authority Aldridge and Brownhill still lies outside.

Anyhow, i dont care, i am from Lichfield!:D

hopwas
01-06-2010, 20:53
Someone edited that page today at 9.42 - coincidence or manipulation?

*looking at Soupy*

Hmmmm.. I wonder who..

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:53
It was found near The Chase, Brownhills (by A5)

To think that they could so easily have built the M6 Toll over the top of it!

West Midlands isn't a real county - Walsall was part of Staffordshire until 1974 and Birmingham was in Warwickshire so I agree, Birmingham shouldn't have it

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:55
*looking at Soupy*

Hmmmm.. I wonder who..

Did you notice how he got his denial in before you pointed the finger at him..... !

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 20:56
:D

Tamworth wanted Saxon Hoard so badly.. Tamworth was Capital of Mercia so Hoard was made in Mercia days. It was found near The Chase, Brownhills (by A5). Possibly fleeing from Tamworth Castle and buried there before it can be found.

One thing really p1$$ me off is Birmingham trying to claim it.. Are they kidding? Hoard was found in STAFFORDSHIRE not bloody WEST MIDLANDS. :moremad:

Rant over!

Bad news Hoppy,

Professionally i had a private viewing and examination of the material from the site - i was expecting some Maercian craft style to be evident - Mercian is very much different to say West Saxon for example - i turned a large clasp over and found some incredible markings that nobody could make out - any ideas anyone?

it said "MADEI NTIWAN"

hopwas
01-06-2010, 20:58
To think that they could so easily have built the M6 Toll over the top of it!

West Midlands isn't a real county - Walsall was part of Staffordshire until 1974 and Birmingham was in Warwickshire so I agree, Birmingham shouldn't have it

My birthplace Sutton Coldfield was part of Warwickshire until 1974..

Strange fact.. Tamworth used to straddle Staffs/Warwicks border until 1885 Whole of Tamworth was given over to Staffs cos it contained higher population than Wawicks side.

So if it hasn't happened then Silk Kite would be in Staffs side whilst The Bolebridge in Warwicks side! I just had weird thought.. my beloved Tamworth FC would be playing in Warwicks side!

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 20:59
it said "MADEI NTIWAN"

Did they find the receipt from Ratners in that field?

hopwas
01-06-2010, 21:04
Bad news Hoppy,

Professionally i had a private viewing and examination of the material from the site - i was expecting some Maercian craft style to be evident - Mercian is very much different to say West Saxon for example - i turned a large clasp over and found some incredible markings that nobody could make out - any ideas anyone?

it said "MADEI NTIWAN"

:) Very good. Made in Taiwan

Anyway.. from wiki.. The artefacts have tentatively been dated to the 7th or 8th centuries, placing the origin of the items in the time of the Kingdom of Mercia

Andy Ven
01-06-2010, 21:14
the BC followed the open cast coal fields, hence Bloko was in (visit the lamp tavern!).

So Pelsall is in the Black Country as well?

hopwas
01-06-2010, 21:22
So Pelsall is in the Black Country as well?

Yep, being suburb of Walsall.

arwkrite
01-06-2010, 21:30
For my sins in a past life I was born in Walsall and later lived in Brownhills. Black Country or not ,neither was inspiring in the 50s and 60s. Covered in the remains of past industry and being blighted by post war architecture I was glad to leave.
I believe my mother lost some gold jewelry from the furniture van as it passed along the A5. She had to answer a call of nature in a field. It must have been there that she lost the family treasure.
After 40 years in Herefordshire I will leave it to you locals to argue the boundary of the BC.

Soup Dragon
01-06-2010, 22:03
errr - no, it wasn't

Crossste
02-06-2010, 07:52
Why am i reading this thread in my head like Barry in Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

arwkrite
02-06-2010, 07:58
Mining was on the decline with pits closing and flattened. I remember areas of Walsall being demolished which had contained small factories. Looking at Google Earth the area between the town centre and the Arbouretum gates was mostly flattened by the 60s. I lived just up the road in Rowley Street. The spoil tips at Walsall Wood Colliery were being removed whilst I lived in Brownhills prior to closure. Brownhills is still struggling to rid itself of much hated social housing I remember being built.
Mind you Shrewsbury, Worcester and Hereford also suffered from the post war planner (Walsall and Worcester being linked as suffering a very similar fate being regarded as prime examples of what not to do when town planning ). And there was me wrongly thinking that Worcester City centre being the result of bomb damage. My apologies to the Luftwaffe who only bombed one factory on the outskirts and sadly killed one workman.

oldboots
02-06-2010, 08:41
does Old Boots count?

I had to read that twice before I looked at the thread title and twigged :p what was meant, having got lost in the entirely predictable arguments about the Black Country and its boundaries - any two midlanders will always argue over it especially if one's from Dudley :whistle:. Anyway yes I hope I do count as strange - keep me away from boring normality and conventionality, I have non conformist roots (my Birmingham/Duddeston ancestors) and proud of it.

aleandhearty
02-06-2010, 13:37
Anyway yes I hope I do count as strange - keep me away from boring normality and conventionality

Hey, 'ob' we wouldn't have it any other way! :D

Soup Dragon
02-06-2010, 14:41
I had to read that twice before I looked at the thread title and twigged :p what was meant, having got lost in the entirely predictable arguments about the Black Country and its boundaries - any two midlanders will always argue over it especially if one's from Dudley :whistle:. Anyway yes I hope I do count as strange - keep me away from boring normality and conventionality, I have non conformist roots (my Birmingham/Duddeston ancestors) and proud of it.

oh dear - my ancesters would have known yours then - they were in Duddeston. It used to be a pleasure garden would you believe!

Andy Ven
02-06-2010, 17:56
Why am i reading this thread in my head like Barry in Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Not sure - he was meant to be a 'Brummie'. Try reading it in a Noddy Holder style instead :)

You may think that this thread has rather gone off at a tangent but I'm sure I can bring it back around. One of the strangest things I have seen in a pub was a canal boat which sat lengthways in the Dry Dock in Netherton (a canalside pub, coincidentally in the Black Country but now sadly closed). The boat was the bar. Brilliant.

I miss the quirkiness of the old Mad O'Rourkes pubs (the two new ones just aren't the same)

runningdog
02-06-2010, 18:54
Well, I'm gonna ignore all the Black country stuff. I get that way a couple of times most years but as, invariably, I finish up too full of cheerfulness to know where I am, I've got no idea where it is.
But, I can do strange stuff in pubs. There was a pub somehere outside S'oton that had a car fitted into the wall. I've no recollection of what the place was like but by all accounts the landlord walked into the bar one morning and found a Riley Pathfinder halfway in. It must have been a good session as nobody remembered hearing a thing.:drinkup::drinkup:
Still an all, I reckon me dog eating pool balls was strange enough for the lads trying to play.........

hopwas
02-06-2010, 19:42
Hey runningdog,

I missed Exmoor's BEAST very much so any chance of you shipping it over to Staffordshire :)

rpadam
02-06-2010, 20:13
For no apparent reason, there is a stuffed black panther (or perhaps it's a model, and it might actually be some other type of large wild cat) in the newly renamed and reopened Lyttelton Arms at the top end of Mornington Crescent.

Andy Ven
03-06-2010, 18:11
One of the strangest things I have seen in a pub was a canal boat which sat lengthways in the Dry Dock in Netherton

My colleague has pointed out to me that the Canal House Bar and Restaurant in Nottingham also has a canal boat or two in it, and the canal as well:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/

Alesonly
03-06-2010, 19:28
I was in a Pub in Cricklewood in the mid 70s When around 12 Men came into the rear Bar which had been reserved for them carrying A Coffin which they placed a crossed two tables the stood around the coffin and drank a Pint of Guinness each which had already been set up by the bar maid then they carried the coffin back out.
Apparently it was a Old Irish regular who Died and had written it in his will as part of his funeral arrangements and his Friends were just doing his last wishes.

Millay
03-06-2010, 20:59
If you find yourself having had too much to drink in the Triple 7 Microbrewery in Las Vegas and need to visit the Gents toilets you’ll find a genuine slab of the Berlin Wall behind the urinals.

Soup Dragon
03-06-2010, 22:01
I was in a Pub in Cricklewood in the mid 70s When around 12 Men came into the rear Bar which had been reserved for them carrying A Coffin which they placed a crossed two tables the stood around the coffin and drank a Pint of Guinness each which had already been set up by the bar maid then they carried the coffin back out.
Apparently it was a Old Irish regular who Died and had written it in his will as part of his funeral arrangements and his Friends were just doing his last wishes.

On the day of my wedding rehersal to the future Mrs Soup, we had to negotiate a coffin in the aisle as we practiced our vows!

Oggwyn Trench
04-06-2010, 18:19
My colleague has pointed out to me that the Canal House Bar and Restaurant in Nottingham also has a canal boat or two in it, and the canal as well:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/

I believe the Shroppie Fly at Audlem has a canal boat in the bar as well

NickDavies
05-06-2010, 09:02
Someone actually looking like they're enjoying themselves in the Boadicea.
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68187/

arwkrite
05-06-2010, 10:42
So many canal boats in pub bars. Were they a case of " Left hand down a bit " or are they all called Troutbridge.. You have to be old enough to recall the Navy Lark to get that one.

Delboy20
06-06-2010, 16:17
I believe the Shroppie Fly at Audlem has a canal boat in the bar as well

The Lifeboat Tavern in Tenby - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/44165/ - has a boat as the bar as well.

It seems to be a popular idea !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Oggwyn Trench
06-06-2010, 16:31
The Lifeboat Tavern in Tenby - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/44165/ - has a boat as the bar as well.

It seems to be a popular idea !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Last time i went to Tenby (about 20 years ago, at least) there was a pub called the 5 Arches , it had the full range of Mckewans beers and Tennants lager , the landlord wore a kilt and had an accent straight from Taggart , it was a little piece of Glasgow deep in south Wales , which is pretty strange when you think about it

Alesonly
06-06-2010, 16:37
Two Pubs that I remember years ago in the 70s one Had a complete Luxury Pullman Railway dining Car all original in one side where food was served very expensive I seem too remember it was somewhere in chigford. I think was sold later too the one of the Steam preservation Railways and another Pub had a Route-master Bus that was in Essex.

arwkrite
07-06-2010, 07:25
It would appear that World Cup Mania has now contaminated Pub Grub. Radio West Mids reports pubs have renamed dishes after football personalities. Just why you would expect to sell more items named Rooney burgers or Lampard Chicken Wraps appears strange to me. Maybe these new menus are worth collecting?

This post could have gone in a number of threads but I placed it here as I thought it was as good as any other .

Conrad
07-06-2010, 13:44
Bit of free publicity I guess, I can imagine people not buying food because they don't like the player however, or the player is from the wrong nation.

hopwas
07-06-2010, 14:11
Pringles have renamed as Pringoaaals for duration of World Cup. McCoys crisps have created two new flavours for world cup.. Sausage Striker and Chicken Winger.

Even this morning Co-op has new range of world cup sandwiches something like Mexican Sausage with fajita flavoured bread (Mexico), Edam Cheese (Holland) and Beef with Horseraish (England)...

arwkrite
07-06-2010, 14:30
I suppose it has given the the Ideas and Advertising Departments something else to think about other than impending redundancies and tax hikes.

Millay
17-07-2010, 11:55
I guess we’ve all seen the odd stuffed animal collecting dust in pubs up and down the country, but I walked into a local pub in the week and there was a bloke sitting at the bar having a pint with a two foot live owl on his arm. At first I thought it was stuffed and he’d bought it in for a laugh but then it moved and fixed me with it’s bright beady eyes, all a bit disconcerting. It did behave itself well though and only had a few flaps of it’s wings, although it disgraced itself later when it shat on the floor.

Farway
17-07-2010, 16:53
Think I can beat owl, but only just, a loose parrot in the White Horse, Bishops Waltham. Belongs to landlord, sits outside in the sunshine

arwkrite
01-09-2010, 13:32
There I am sat in the bar of the Bay Horse, Bromyard last Sunday when in walks a middle aged couple. It is soon noticed, despite the quantity of beer the locals had drunk, that the the female had a live snake wrapped around her arm. It was about three foot long and quite, thick sorry for the poor description but Arwkrite decided like most of the chaps it was time to go outside for a smoke .Arwkrite has not smoked for 20 years, it was just an excuse to get away from that creepy snake.

aleandhearty
01-09-2010, 14:48
Recently, during a wave of nostalgia for my student days, I browsed all the pubs in Maida Vale. Glancing at John McGraw's picture of The Robert Browning http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22742/ brought to the surface a long buried memory....:eek:

When I lived a couple of hundred yards away, in 1982-3, the pub was known as The Eagle. Although not a favourite haunt (unlike The Warrington and Warwick Castle) we occasionally called in for one on the way back to the flat. One summer's evening we were sat outside, on the pavement, underneath the balcony. All of a sudden, my pint started to increase in volume. Momentarily thinking that God had answered my prayers, I looked up to see the landlord's German Shepherd cocking its leg against the railings! I'd be lying if I said it was a perfect arc straight into my glass, but a sizeable amount went in my beer.

Needless to say there was much mirth when I took my glass back to the bar, not to mention much leg-pulling from my college mates for weeks to come... Ah, happy days. :)

Al 10000
01-09-2010, 16:41
I saw two strange things happen in the same pub but a year apart.
I was with my wife in the Smiths Arms in hyson green Nottingham, we were propping the bar up when i noticed a young bloke about 19 sucking the breasts of a woman about a similar age the pub was brightly lit and nobody else seemed to notice this.

The second thing that happened was even worse we were in the same place at the bar and a oldish bloke who had a dog and was sat near the entrance to the pub let it run round the pub then the dog did a shit right near the doorway there were people standing behind the bar who must have seen this happen but they just carried on as if nothing had happened also people started coming into the pub walked round the mess and still nothing was said so we drank up and left.:sick:

Evil Gazebo
01-09-2010, 17:05
i noticed a young bloke about 19 sucking the breasts of a woman about a similar age the pub was brightly lit and nobody else seemed to notice this.
Not even the woman? :)

Andy Ven
01-09-2010, 17:22
i noticed a young bloke about 19 sucking the breasts of a woman about a similar age

Bitty? :)

Alesonly
01-09-2010, 18:08
Think I can beat owl, but only just, a loose parrot in the White Horse, Bishops Waltham. Belongs to landlord, sits outside in the sunshine

I used too go in the Falcon Pub in Ponders End in the Seventy's which was a good then. The Guy who run it in them days was Redburn he had a assortment of animals in a large compound yard out back it was like a mini Zoo. One day I was in the Pub when a Lama came bounding up the side passage from the rear bouncing around the bar knocking Drinks Tables and Chairs all over the Place sending everyone running for the doors. .:lol:

aleandhearty
01-09-2010, 20:17
i noticed a young bloke about 19 sucking the breasts of a woman about a similar age the pub was brightly lit and nobody else seemed to notice this.

Hey Al, I'm not surprised with that going on!

Bitty? :)

Oh! Andy. You beat me to it.

ETA
02-09-2010, 08:32
Lama came bounding up the side passage from the rear bouncing around the bar knocking Drinks Tables and Chairs all over the Place ... .:lol:

Maybe it couldn't see properly - a dull-eye llama?

ROBCamra
02-09-2010, 08:48

Coat!!

runningdog
02-09-2010, 09:44
:drinkup:Some years ago, in a West Country pub, which shall remain nameless for reasons unrelated to this 'incident', there dwelt a Pot-bellied Pig or some such animal. Technically, it dwelt in the back garden, but, like the pet gorilla it lived anywhere it liked. It was huge, a good coupla hundred pounds, ugly, truly ugly, clumsy and far too friendly. I guess, as a piglet, it was cute and seemed like a good idea.
It was frightened of only one thing, dogs. It seemed to regard dogs in the much same light as I do spiders, and Arks does snake, and one dog in particular spooked it more than any other, the next-door neighbour's Airedale.
One winter's evening the pig came into bar, shouldered it's way to the fire and lay down. Drinking folk are adaptable and this was a drinkers pub so we made do with half the bar and all seemed peaceful, if a touch crowded. Then the pig farted, it was loud and seemed very funny at first, then it did it again. For a few more seconds the hilarity continued. I was at the bar when it struck, crept up on me like an invisible gas attack it did. After a short delay, the braver of us, spell that stupider, closed in and tried to move it. All that did was make it fart more. Mine host was all for closing the bar, but we were made of sterner stuff, then someone remembered next door's dog and it all got very strange indeed.
Said Airedale couldn't get into the bar fast enough, the pig discoverd that being pot-belled is no survival option when forty-five pound of predator is trying to eat you. Eventually it managed to get to it's feet but nothing it could do could shake the dog off. In desperation it tried to jump the bar. Pub bars have never been designed for that sort of thing and down the lot came, pig, landlord, a couple of customers, dog, beer an all.
Eventually the pig got into the garden and with considerable difficulty we managed to separate it from the dog, which, understandably, having got hold of the worlds largest porkburger was reluctant to give it up. By three o'clock in the morning we'd restored some sort of order to the place and the by now, grateful, if somewhat shell-shocked landlord invited us into the snug where we returned to our rightful inebriated state, in my case with the help of a bottle Glen Islay. The Airedale, hero of the hour, drank something like a pint and half of Guinness and several shorts and was last seen trying to decide which of the many garden gates it could apparently see to jump, it succeded in the jump but was nowhere near the gate.The pig finished up in a farm theme-park in East Anglia somewhere, the landlord did a runner some time later and the pub is now a small housing estate
To me, the strangest thing I've ever seen in a pub is still a pot bellied pig that thought it could jump and the daftest, a landlord who thoght he could stop it. Ever since I grin whenever I see an Airedale, folk think I'm barmy, but who cares, It's being a barmpot that keeps me from going insane. :drinkup::drinkup::cheers::glass::drinkup:

ETA
02-09-2010, 12:02
Thanks RD, that's made my afternoon!

aleandhearty
02-09-2010, 12:51

:D Ouch! Very good though.

:drinkup:Some years ago, in a West Country pub...

:D:D Having struggled all morning to fix a dodgy bath tap, that's just what I needed. Wonderful!

Oggwyn Trench
02-09-2010, 16:41

Should`nt this be in the What goes well with a pint thread

ROBCamra
02-09-2010, 17:36

Should`nt this be in the What goes well with a pint thread

:D:D

Strongers
02-09-2010, 20:01
Areola, a nice natural perky pint.

hondo
03-09-2010, 09:51
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7979213/Gypsies-ride-horses-into-pub.html

ROBCamra
03-09-2010, 10:07
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7979213/Gypsies-ride-horses-into-pub.html

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't it be Gypsies not Gipsies?

Evil Gazebo
03-09-2010, 10:26

I've always used 'gypsy', but for some reason The Telegraph goes with gipsy - it's in their style guide (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/about-us/style-book/1435313/Telegraph-style-book-Gg.html), but no explanation of why. A couple of other newspapers do, including The Sun, I think. Most dictionaries have gypsy as the conventional spelling, with gipsy as an alternative.

Alesonly
03-09-2010, 10:35
I thought the term Gipsy or gypsy or others was outlawed as not politically correct and we all have too use the word Travellers now. :D

Rex_Rattus
03-09-2010, 11:28
I was once in a pub watching television, and I saw Emile Heskey score a goal for England!

Evil Gazebo
03-09-2010, 11:34
I was once in a pub watching television, and I saw Emile Heskey score a goal for England!

Can't be beaten, end of thread!

RogerB
03-09-2010, 12:26
Reopen thread. It is obvious to anyone that knows anything about football that Rex was just making it up.

ROBCamra
03-09-2010, 12:27
I thought the term Gipsy or gypsy or others was outlawed as not politically correct and we all have too use the word Travellers now. :D

My ex boss who has a small chunk of land in Shropshire and had quite a lot of trouble getting them off his land assures me that they are
commonly known in his village as Caravan Using Nomadic Travellers - Shropshire. :eek:

Quinno
03-09-2010, 12:32
Reopen thread. It is obvious to anyone that knows anything about football that Rex was just making it up.

No, it's true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyEXIyYhOwY

Admittedly he fell on his arse as he attempted to kick it (as usual) :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet:

Farway
03-09-2010, 13:24
Second hand hearsay I'm afraid, but I have just been talking to Santa in the Green Dragon, and he tells me he came across a small pub in Cornwall with full cream draught milk from a hand pull, and it was popular with locals

Santa BTW is only his part time job, normally drives buses

Rex_Rattus
03-09-2010, 18:03

I've always spelt the word as "Gipsy". I suppose because I used to live very near to a place called Gipsy Hill (and my sister lived in Romany Road), and there was a local pub called the Gipsy Queen (now gone), and there is still one called the Gipsy Tavern. But Gypsy does seem to be right somehow - I think the origin of the word comes from the word "Egypt".

arwkrite
04-09-2010, 08:02
small pub in Cornwall with full cream draught milk from a hand pull, and it was popular with locals

Quite some years ago me and the first mrs rented a caravan near Holsworthy on a dairy farm. Fresh milk from the herd of Jersey cows was left each day in a mini milk churn together with freerange eggs from the chickens who followed us around the farm. I poured this milk, heavy in cream, over my breakfast cereal. Farm butter was liberaly spread over toast made with local baked bread before a couple of monster sized poached eggs were laid ontop. This was food for the gods.The mrs idea of breakfast was a bottle of Guiness..nuf said.
After about 4 days I had a serious outbreak of boils and spots on my back. The farmers wife was horrified to find I was drinking the milk as it came. It was so rich it needed mixing 50/50 with water to make similar to milk we drank every day.This milk you could have poured over Strawberries.

Dave M
06-09-2010, 14:22
Not something I've seen in a pub, but David Ross has just submitted this photo from the Kings Head in Kettlewell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/53980/) - he explains whats going on in his review.

gillhalfpint
06-09-2010, 15:03
Not something I've seen in a pub, but David Ross has just submitted this photo from the Kings Head in Kettlewell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/53980/) - he explains whats going on in his review.

I stayed in a pub in Kettlewell, am sure it was this one, in the early 1970's and was offered a lamb to bottle feed for ÂŁ2 by one of the locals. Went to the farm next day just to see the lamb being bottle fed, and it was the size of a full grown sheep. It would have been difficult to get it in my sloping back Ford Anglia I had at the time.
PS. Unless it was going to be cut down to lamb chops first!

aleandhearty
06-09-2010, 17:16

Wonderful! Surely worthy of a caption competition? How about:

" I'll have a pint of mine please."
Or...
" I hear it gets rammed in here"

Any more?

Farway
06-09-2010, 20:47
Wonderful! Surely worthy of a caption competition? How about:

" I'll have a pint of mine please."
Or...
" I hear it gets rammed in here"

Any more?

What are ewe on about?

rpadam
06-09-2010, 21:23
I think that this probably counts as a pretty strange thing to see in a pub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-11193455

Oggwyn Trench
07-09-2010, 12:46
I think that this probably counts as a pretty strange thing to see in a pub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-11193455

I know this pub though its really more a resturant , its on a really nasty bend and theres a quarry entrance at the side of the beer garden , this has been waiting to happen for years

Alesonly
07-11-2010, 11:14
I went into a local Pub recently and they Had Piddle Ale on Tap. Walks up to the Bar & a young Girl comes over and I ask ( I have a Pint of the Piddle Ale Please) Back comes the reply No need too be insulting about our beer if you don't like it drink elsewhere. :eek: Other guy comes over and turns clip around so the first girl can read it one bright red barmaid. And I got a free Pint it was not her fault she had just come on duty so did not know it was on Tap. :)

Farway
07-11-2010, 11:49
Strangest thing seen was yesterday, my MP in my local, and he was drinking a full on pint of real ale

ROBCamra
07-11-2010, 11:57
Strangest thing seen was yesterday, my MP in my local, and he was drinking a full on pint of real ale

Our local MP is a regular at The Baum. He's in a couple of times a week.

NickDavies
07-11-2010, 18:35
Two blokes sharing a bottle of champagne. Nothing wrong with that, a pleasant and civilised way of spending a couple of hours given the right company, time and place. I'm not entirely certain that 11:30 on a Saturday night and the Victoria Wetherspooon's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23064/) are the right time and place.

Perhaps they'll try the Boadicea (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68187/) next time.

General Staal
07-11-2010, 19:33
I've always spelt the word as "Gipsy". I suppose because I used to live very near to a place called Gipsy Hill (and my sister lived in Romany Road), and there was a local pub called the Gipsy Queen (now gone), and there is still one called the Gipsy Tavern. But Gypsy does seem to be right somehow - I think the origin of the word comes from the word "Egypt".

Technically, it is Gypsy. This is because when they first arrived in Britain, they were believed to have originated in Egypt. Gypsy is a corruption of Egyptian. This is an historical fact and Soup Dragon will back me up on this.

Spinko
08-11-2010, 17:50
I have a Sam Smith's as a local. I popped in there many years back when it wasn't my local, and they had a raffle on. Seemed a little quirky, but it got even stranger when many of the prizes were just things the locals had brought in that they wanted to get rid of, and if they'd gone on EBay probably wouldn't have got up to the price of the raffle ticket. I've still not worked out what it was all about.

gillhalfpint
09-11-2010, 10:50
Swap your junk night. Will it catch on I wonder.

A place for that 1963 Daily Mirror A-Z party book!

Conrad
09-11-2010, 11:30
Swap your junk night. Will it catch on I wonder.
I used to watch Swap Shop when I was nipper, worked then. Although they may need Cheggers to have a real chance.

gillhalfpint
09-11-2010, 13:54
My son tried to get something on SwapShop. Line was always engaged.

Pubsignman
09-11-2010, 13:56
I used to watch Swap Shop when I was nipper, worked then. Although they may need Cheggers to have a real chance.

I'm not sure Cheggers and pubs are a good combination. :nishelypished::nishelypished:

Conrad
09-11-2010, 14:15
My son tried to get something on SwapShop. Line was always engaged.
Actually I was never really a fan of the show, but that would have made a terrible introduction. I don't think I know anyone who managed a swap really.

I'm not sure Cheggers and pubs are a good combination. :nishelypished::nishelypished:

Thing that are impossible to say when you're drunk.

k) Nudie run? Not for me thanks.

When threads collide.

Farway
10-11-2010, 12:16

Now I know what he was doing there, helping launch Havant Forgotten in time for Remembrance Day:)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/waterlooville-and-e-hants/Raise-a-glass-to-our.6618253.jp

aleandhearty
27-01-2011, 13:48
Soupy’s review of The Black Bear, Wareham http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10103/ recently popped up as a Random Pub and awoke another long dormant (traumatic) drinking memory. (How many more are there? :eek: See also #70.) Around 1990-91 the future Mrs a&h and I attended our friends’ wedding in Poole and used The Black Bear as our base during our stay. Weddings being weddings meant that we were drinking for most of the day and were already seriously bladdered by the time we got back to the hotel. However, as residents we were entitled to drink in the bar after normal time had been called, which seemed too good to miss.

Several pints of Old Thumper later, we finally decided to hit the sack. These days that would only mean sleep, but back then, things were a little different. In a moment of lust, I lunged towards my fiancée, sat undressing on the edge of the bed, determined to show her some beery affection. Unfortunately, I stumbled in the process, glanced off her shoulder and managed to bounce off the mattress, like a Barnes Wallis special, landing on the far side. However, as our room was tiny, the gap between the bed and the wall was only about a foot wide. I fell with one arm underneath my hip and the other behind my back. I was well and truly wedged.

Instead of help and sympathy, my true love erupted into a prolonged bout of gusset moistening laughter and it must have been 10-15 minutes before she was in a fit state to help me up. Even in those days I was built for comfort rather than speed and it took her several more minutes to release me. Needless to say my ardour at this point was well and truly dampened and intercourse did not take place. Ah, happy days!

Conrad
27-01-2011, 14:05
Now see after all that I had to read Soup's review in anticipation of some really eye opening information about the pub.

I am saddened to say that I felt rather let down by it after that build up ;)

Sadly all my strangest stories with pubs involve toilets, Dave has come to dread my return from a pub toilet for fear of the story he may hear.

Al 10000
27-01-2011, 14:46
Heres my pub story for today.

Way back in 1983 my future wife and i went for our first weekend away together to Chester and we stayed in a pub called the Bull and Sturrup which was an Higsons house at the time.
On the last day of our visit which was a Sunday the landlord said to us "get back to the pub before closing time (2.00) and i will buy both of you a drink" so we got back at 1.45 and had our drink then payed him the money for staying there.
We then went up to get our bags well one thing lead to another and 45 minutes later we went downstairs the pub was empty and the front door locked and shutters were round the bar i shouted out but no answer we were locked in a pub but could'nt help ourselves to a drink :confused: and our train was due at 4.00.
So we went back upstairs and i found a fire escape pressed the bar and we were outside but up two flight of stairs as we started going down the stairs with our bags we noticed there was a busy road junction and people waiting to cross the road were looking up at us they must have thought we were doing a runner.
We still have a laugh about it.

Soup Dragon
28-01-2011, 11:16
Soupy’s review of The Black Bear, Wareham http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10103/ recently popped up as a Random Pub and awoke another long dormant (traumatic) drinking memory.... Ah, happy days!

There is a sign on the outside that says.. "No Yorkshiremen Allowed", now i know why!

aleandhearty
29-01-2011, 13:01
There is a sign on the outside that says.. "No Yorkshiremen Allowed", now i know why!

:D Bloody cheek. Mind you, my hangover was so bad the following morning, I managed to knock over a full cafetiere of coffee, instantly ruining a table set for eight. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Alesonly
17-02-2011, 17:58
I know Wetherspoons like open plan Toilets but I think this is going a bit too far. I went into my local Wetherspoons on Sunday and noticed there was no door on the only cubical in the gents four days later yesterday Wednesday its still the same and it has not been replaced yet. According too the member of staff I asked someone took it on Saturday evening. :eek: :D

gillhalfpint
17-02-2011, 20:56
Makes me think of a Wetherspoons I was in where out of around 8 cubicles, only one had everything working.

No door, no lock, no light, no paper, no holder for paper, no loo seat among the problems. Checked and found the rota had been religiously signed as inspected, but the member of staff I asked about it couldn't understand why there was a problem. The mind boggles.

NickDavies
17-02-2011, 21:14
I know Wetherspoons like open plan Toilets but I think this is going a bit too far. I went into my local Wetherspoons on Sunday and noticed there was no door on the only cubical in the gents four days later yesterday Wednesday its still the same and it has not been replaced yet. According too the member of staff I asked someone took it on Saturday evening. :eek: :D

What? Someone nicked the bog door? How did they get it home? They'll never let you on the bus with a pub bog door. Or did they fence it off to another pub who'd had their bog door nicked?

Paris_Hilton
18-02-2011, 12:24
What? Someone nicked the bog door? How did they get it home? They'll never let you on the bus with a pub bog door. Or did they fence it off to another pub who'd had their bog door nicked?

This reminds me of the days when I first started drinking (early 1980s). I went to a party in a local scouts hall and won booby prize in the raffle, a toliet seat. Being a beginner and not being able to hold my drink, I decided to put it around my neck for the walk home. It was cold so I took a shortcut across a large roundabout/ringroad only to bump into a patrolling police car on the other side. I don't know how I persuaded them to let me sleep in my own bed that night but I did.

Farway
18-02-2011, 13:02
T. I don't know how I persuaded them to let me sleep in my own bed that night but I did.

That must have been a first Paris :whistle:

Farway
18-02-2011, 13:16

Maybe they wanted to practice their art work at home496

Pub is Sirloin of Beef (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/14029/), the bog doors have all sorts of murals on them, at back past White Ensign, doors on left & right

Andy Ven
04-07-2012, 21:00
it wasn't me! - historically, I BELIEVE, the BC stopped short of the town of Walsall, but extended into Bloxwich, which is in the parish of Walsall - the BC followed the open cast coal fields, hence Bloko was in (visit the lamp tavern!). Since the 1960s, when Walsall Corportation took over Darlaston and Willenhall UDC's (that were in the BC) it has almost become a given the Walsall is now in the BC - even though part of the authority Aldridge and Brownhill still lies outside.

Anyhow, i dont care, i am from Lichfield!:D

Just digging up an old argument (maybe we can continue it on 5th October). Last night's Express and Star ran a piece on what the boundaries of the Black Country are. There are several takes on it.

Local authorities tend to refer to Dudley, Wolverhampton, Sandwell and Walsall as the Black Country. Given the relative size of Birmingham City Council (compared to any local authority anywhere) I can understand why the 4 West Midlands local authorities to the north and west of Birmingham find a common term so that they are not dwarfed by their neighbour.

According to a recent E&S handbook, which refers to the coal seam, the Black Country is Dudley, Tipton, West Bromwich, Willenhall and Bilston at its heart with Bloxwich, Blackheath and Sedgely on the periphery and then Stourbridge and Wednesfield partly in and partly out but Smethwick, Wolverhampton and Walsall outside.

Ask different people and you will get different answers but few will dispute that Dudley, Netherton, Cradley, Cradley Heath and Old Hill are definitely in.

I think it's defined historically by features such as heavy industry reliant on manual labour such as coal mining, blast furnaces and chain making, the cut (the canal to those outside of the region) and the dialect much of which is fading as time moves on and people move about so the boundaries become less clear.