PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - It is the Season to Be Jolly - Ho Ho Ho !!

Blog Tracker
07-12-2016, 19:47
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2016/12/it-is-season-to-be-jolly-ho-ho-ho.html)

Well its about 3 weeks before Christmas, so I thought I would be safe..how wrong I was.

Readers of 'A Swift One' in previous years will know of my passion for Christmas Beers (sarcasm - tongue in cheek, etc) but .... Today I had a trip round Leeds. I started early to miss the crowds in the pubs I wanted to visit. I planned to avoid all the stuff with rum, raisins, cinnamon, turkey and stuffing in it and hit the hoppy stuff.

It was a bit weird. I never saw a Christmas beer. Not that I am complaining. In fact after 1 pm it was bloody hard to see a beer at all. I have whinged before about once a year drinkers but it seems they have been replaced by a group (or may be several - every pub seemed to have one) who want to hang around in front of the bar so I can neither see the beer on the bar, nor get to the bar to order it. And this includes women of the opposite sex too who seem to think that texting is more important than me getting to the bar.

I understand this may occur in the few days before Christmas when the one a year drinkers appear but not now...if this is a foretaste of the next three weeks I am off to bed to hibernate. I had to totally change my route and plans because of them but may be it was for the best.

I did find a pub (thanks Jason) where there was a combination of excellent beer and for most of the time free of Xmas. And no Xmas beers either.

Sadly my hop search for hops was not too successful here, but on returning to Brighouse a quick call in the Market Tavern revealed a Vocation 'Chop & Change'. Result.

It wasn't until I returned for a second one that I read the strap line, 'Mosaic and Citra'. That is why it tasted so good. Now that is what Xmas is all about. Thank you Mr Claus. I may return tomorrow, and the day after and the day after...it would be a waste to let the once a year drinkers have it.

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2016/12/it-is-season-to-be-jolly-ho-ho-ho.html)