PDA

View Full Version : Beer festival chat

trainman
04-05-2010, 11:46
Just relating to the first half of the thread title:

Slug & Lettuce beer festival? Thought it must have been an elaborate typo, but it seems their Leicester branch are treading new ground.

Old Fountain - interesting to see their festival running through to 22May; they don't usually open Saturdays.
It would be worth keeping a weather eye on forthcoming reports of this pub, as one reads that the bar/cellarman has left, and has subsequently been spotted working in nearby rival Wenlock. I recently opined that Old Fountain had gained the upper hand on that patch of real ale turf, especially on beer quality, I wonder whether this move will affect the balance? Anyone know what caused this change of allegiance?

Flower Pot. I think MB chose the wrong weekend to propose the delights of Maidstone. Local fest this weekend. Actually Roger, didn't you manage to miss this pub on your visit, despite it being obviously the best on offer?

RogerB
04-05-2010, 12:25
Yes - our Maidstone trip was a bit limiting because we were a) watching a band for most of the afternoon and b) needing somewhere for live football so I didn't really get to do much of what I wanted to although in fairness, I wasn't expecting to. I'm still awaiting a Pubs Galore (Kent Section) gathering at some stage. Now footy has (almost) finished, I will have a few more options for dates so we need to get our organising hats on.

trainman
04-05-2010, 15:44
Apologies for using this thread to mention beer festivals in general - I just realised the thread itself is located within the development category. I'll look for/start a thread in chit-chat next time I feel a 'fest comment coming on.

RogerB
17-05-2010, 15:06
Old Fountain - interesting to see their festival running through to 22May; they don't usually open Saturdays.

Looks like I'll be there on Thursday if anyone else is around. Beer list is now on-line...

http://www.oldfountain.co.uk/BeerFestival.html

PaulOfHorsham
17-05-2010, 20:52
Just about to ring my brother to arrange the date. I may even pop back for a second bite - that beer list looks just sensational!

Conrad
18-05-2010, 10:46
Just split this into a new thread instead of on the Technical forum, just to confuse me a little less.

Maldenman
18-05-2010, 13:51
That list does look very good. I'm yet to sample Dunham Massey beers but keen to, as the brewery is not far from where I grew up. I doubt however that a cherry chocolate beer may be the best introduction.

trainman
18-05-2010, 15:20
I've mostly missed out on Marble Pint since thinking it delicious in its original guise as Janine's One, at some fest or other down here, but what about that Marble Brew? - 144.3% !!!! Has anyone told the boys at BrewDog?

ROBCamra
18-05-2010, 15:28
I've mostly missed out on Marble Pint since thinking it delicious in its original guise as Janine's One, at some fest or other down here, but what about that Marble Brew? - 144.3% !!!! Has anyone told the boys at BrewDog?

I haven't had a pint of Pint since Saturday. :p

Time to visit home again TM.

ROBCamra
19-05-2010, 12:21
I haven't had a pint of Pint since Saturday. :p

I have now. I had a pint of Pint last night in the Baum. :drinkup:

trainman
19-05-2010, 15:38
I can't even afford to make it to Old Street for the 'fest! Hard times indeed.

PaulOfHorsham
19-05-2010, 22:59
Commiserations, trainman - that would have been me last year. Fortunately, times are less hard in 2010, and I'm very much looking forward to some Brodies ales, which all sound interesting and nicely (American-) hopped. And what's this I see? Dark Star Festival Special (American Pale Ale, Dark Version) - I hope there's some of that left on Friday evening.:pray:

RogerB
20-05-2010, 09:26
Dark Star Festival Special (American Pale Ale, Dark Version) - I hope there's some of that left on Friday evening.:pray:

I'll try and leave some.

RogerB
21-05-2010, 07:49
The beers at the Old Fountain are split between the handpumps and racked barrells. By 7pm last night the beers started to run out and weren't being replaced. By 9 there was just 1 hand pump operational and the racked casks were going. Not all the advertised beers were available last night and I get the impression that the hand pumps will be back in action today with some fresh ales but as it is a Friday (and warm and sunny) I would expect them to dry up earlier than last night (which wasn't that busy considering). The moral of the story is if you're going tonight, get there early and take a map of how to get to the Wenlock!

trainman
30-12-2010, 09:50
I suppose we've all been somewhat negligent in submitting details of forthcoming festivals for our local areas.
January may tend to be a quiet month, but not even the National Winter Ales fest was PG listed (I've proposed it now). I believe some Mancunian pubs will run their own mini 'fests in conjunction with the big one but, on my recent visit, I failed to pick up any literature to help with that, sorry.

Ps. Conrad, did you give any thought to contacting local branch magazines to publish details of their festivals, maybe in exchange for them giving PG a half/qtr page mention in their mag?

gillhalfpint
30-12-2010, 15:31
When we went last year, the big alternative one near the festival was in the Smithfield. Other good ones to pop into were the Crown and Kettle, Bar Fringe, Angel, and Marble Arch.

We also enjoyed a trip out to the Crescent and New Oxford in Salford.