PDA

View Full Version : Oggwyn - Pig & Truffle

ROBCamra
14-05-2010, 10:08
Oggy, does the Pig & Truffle on Mardol in Shrewsbury actually exist?

It's on here, but having spent a lot of time wandering around Shrewsbury I certainly haven't seen it.

Did I miss one out ? :D

Oggwyn Trench
14-05-2010, 13:49
It did exist , it was between the Kings Head and the Wine Barish place on the corner (whatever its called these days) , i have not been up Mardol for a few years ( not since the Elephant & Castle , White Hart and Mardol Vaults closed) prefering to head straight for the decent pubs in town . I have got to go into Shrewsbury in a few weeks time so i will have a look to make sure , i have got a feeling that it may have been taken over by Yates which is now closed , but there are always bars of this sort opening on Mardol , some last , most dont .

Alesonly
14-05-2010, 16:58
I just went Up & Down Mardol in Google street view I cant see it there only a closed Yates and a few other closed bars like The Bedroom :eek:

Oggwyn Trench
14-05-2010, 23:09
I just went Up & Down Mardol in Google street view I cant see it there only a closed Yates and a few other closed bars like The Bedroom :eek:

Street View is usefull , but if you look at Oakengates the Fighting Cocks is boarded up , its now the 2nd busiest pub in town , only real way to check is get out there and look

Oggwyn Trench
20-05-2010, 18:30
Yes it is closed , it was near the Bedroom and Yates (both closed) i have put a closed request in .
Shame really Mardol used to be a thriving little community , 4 pubs and a couple of trendy bars

arwkrite
20-05-2010, 21:03
I remember going to a pub called The Sitting Room on Chelsea High Street but The Bedroom conjures up all sorts of delights.:D
I honestly cannot remember the Pig and Truffle from my teenage years in Shrewsbury but Mardol has led a chequered life over the years. Many towns are now trying to centre the livelier nightspots in one area apparently for public order reasons. Hereford comes to mind. Even the taxi rank is positioned so party goers do not spread out to much. Mardol has often been on the edge of things and it sounds as if once more it is out of fashion.

Oggwyn Trench
21-05-2010, 14:05
I remember going to a pub called The Sitting Room on Chelsea High Street but The Bedroom conjures up all sorts of delights.:D
I honestly cannot remember the Pig and Truffle from my teenage years in Shrewsbury but Mardol has led a chequered life over the years. Many towns are now trying to centre the livelier nightspots in one area apparently for public order reasons. Hereford comes to mind. Even the taxi rank is positioned so party goers do not spread out to much. Mardol has often been on the edge of things and it sounds as if once more it is out of fashion.

It was a trendy wine bar type place opened up un the early 90s , only ever went in once , as you say Mardol is now dead , exept for the Kings Head and thats not worth visiting , they tried to turn the Elephant &Castle into a music bar/lap dancing club , it lasted about 6 months and has never reopened , the Mardol Vaults changed to Yates that didnt last long either , and the White Hart is now a shop , they were the roughest pubs in town but they were good for laugh , i miss the old blood tubs