PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fluent in Latin??

Youngie
11-05-2010, 20:20
Helpful Intellectuals Needed So I immediately thought of you guys!!!
Need to translate the phrase 'The Red Lion' into Latin .....also 'A Lion of Bath' in latin would be very useful...I know Bath was once Aquae Sulis and Lion is Leo but need the correct wording for 'of' or possibly 'from'.
All suggestions greatly accepted.

Oggwyn Trench
11-05-2010, 21:35
The Red Lion ..... rutilus leo
Lion of Bath....... leo of balieum

oldboots
11-05-2010, 21:45
Soup dragon may be your man for this but

this site (http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_latin.html) gives Rutilus Leo for Red Lion and ex, de, a, ab, abs, quo for "from", (quo is probably best for a place). It can't work out a translation for "of"
Of course "Bath" works for something you bathe in but not for the city so go with "Aquae Sulis". "A" lion is probably a different word (ending) to "The" Lion.

Sadly English and Latin don't work the same way so for example there isn't a word that just means "red" it sort of depends on how red, how many red things, what's red and when it's red, so words like Rubeus, rufus, rubicundu(lu)s and ruber all mean red in different ways. Rutilus means red but tending to golden yellow or even ginger haired according to my old latin dictionary: :confused:

I'm tempted to say "Leo Rufus" or "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis"

Youngie
11-05-2010, 22:36
Many thanks chaps!....Obviously I tried a few of the internet translation sites..but got the impression they were just translating word for word...and as oldboots points out Latin doesn't really work that simply.... think I might go for "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis" it sort of sounds right!....unless anyone else suggests it's grammatically wrong of course!!!

Eddie86
11-05-2010, 23:26
Let me sleep on it - Latin was a strong point of mine... years ago!

trainman
12-05-2010, 08:06
I have a vague feeling that the 'possessive' (well, in this case 'of') is indicated by a suffix of some sort; maybe summat like 'Leo Aquae Sulisus', though I was terrible at this in '77 so am probably still way off.

Conrad
12-05-2010, 14:34
Well I have asked around and:

Want the Genative for lion of bath. Aquae sulis being the noun for which you require the genative. Do not know how sulis declines, is a goddess (maybe Sul / Sulis??), and Aquae would be possibly plural of Water (i.e. waters), meaning Sulis already a Genative. Not sure about that one. The Genative plural of aqua is likely aquarum (cf puella).
So: Leo Aquarum Sulis (doesn't really look right though as not sure about Sulis).
I have to admit I am little the wiser, but anything to muddy the waters.

Maldenman
12-05-2010, 15:23
Pretty sure that trainman's logic is correct, ie it is all down to the word ending/declension. It was a long long time ago that I scraped Latin O level, but J"C" Wilde would've known wouldn't he tm?*

* Apologies for the in-joke on here.

Oggwyn Trench
12-05-2010, 17:00
Soup dragon may be your man for this but

this site (http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_latin.html) gives Rutilus Leo for Red Lion and ex, de, a, ab, abs, quo for "from", (quo is probably best for a place). It can't work out a translation for "of"
Of course "Bath" works for something you bathe in but not for the city so go with "Aquae Sulis". "A" lion is probably a different word (ending) to "The" Lion.

Sadly English and Latin don't work the same way so for example there isn't a word that just means "red" it sort of depends on how red, how many red things, what's red and when it's red, so words like Rubeus, rufus, rubicundu(lu)s and ruber all mean red in different ways. Rutilus means red but tending to golden yellow or even ginger haired according to my old latin dictionary: :confused:

I'm tempted to say "Leo Rufus" or "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis"

Being red haired myself(OK ginger) i think i should maybe change my name , Oggwyn Rutilus has a certain ring , sounds like a Romano/British warlord or maybe something out of Carry on Cleo

oldboots
12-05-2010, 19:34
Being red haired myself(OK ginger) i think i should maybe change my name , Oggwyn Rutilus has a certain ring , sounds like a Romano/British warlord or maybe something out of Carry on Cleo

all together now; "infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me" (I'll get me coat)

We are fast approaching the Peter Cook sketch (E L Wisty?) "I could have been a judge but I didn't have the Latin"

aleandhearty
12-05-2010, 19:52
all together now; "infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me" (I'll get me coat)

If we're getting to that stage, might as well post this before someone else does. Still very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

trainman
13-05-2010, 08:34
but J"C" Wilde would've known wouldn't he tm?*

* Apologies for the in-joke on here.

Indeed, and we still owe a debt of gratitude to MG for verbalising/reminding us of the full & correct moniker there.

arwkrite
19-05-2010, 10:13
I did not realise we had so many ex classics scholars on here. Lets get it over with..who speaks Greek ? Ancient of course, non of you modern rubbish , anyone one can order ouzo

RogerB
19-05-2010, 10:49
Mrs B often says I talk b*llocks.:whistle:

Conrad
19-05-2010, 15:12
I fell like I should claim that I can speak Klingon at this point.

Thankfully it would be a lie however.

trainman
19-05-2010, 15:35
I fell like I should claim that I can speak Klingon at this point.

Hehehe. Did you see the episode where Frasier thinks he is doing a speech at his son's bar mitzvah in hebrew, but Noel has done the translation into Klingon as revenge for Frasier missing a trekkie autograph? Great stuff.

Conrad
19-05-2010, 15:40
I had forgotten that one, like many Frasier's a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZV6fsotYo

Oggwyn Trench
19-05-2010, 17:27
I did not realise we had so many ex classics scholars on here. Lets get it over with..who speaks Greek ? Ancient of course, non of you modern rubbish , anyone one can order ouzo

That will be me then , well enough to get by , i am no means fluent , Ancient Greek is much easier than modern only capital letters .

Ena oozo kei e mikros to nero parakelo

aleandhearty
19-05-2010, 23:20
Mrs B often says I talk b*llocks.:whistle:

In the spirit of the thread, 'testiculos' surely? :D

arwkrite
20-05-2010, 20:19
"Ena oozo kei e mikros to nero parakelo "

Nah. Shout it loud enough in English they will get the idea.......By the way can I have mustard on mine?.....Colmans English of course.