PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 3rd July 2016)

ROBCamra
03-07-2016, 15:24
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Mobyduck: Surrey Hills Collusion
Aqualung: Peerless Galaxian
Wittenden: Boutilliers India Brown Ale
aleandhearty: Fernandes Double Six
london calling: Tring Side Pocket For A Toad
Komakino: Thornbridge Jaipur
Real Ale Ray: Mobberley Brewhouse Whirly Bird
Bucking Fastard: Arbor Why Kick a Moo Cow
ROBCamra: Northern Monk Chennai Porter

Thuck Phat
03-07-2016, 20:32
Another gentle one:
Maldon Pucks Folly
Everards Tiger
Phipps NBC IPA
Oakham Bishops Farewell*

I try to avoid giving BOTW to Bishops generally but when it's in top good nick and flies down on a sunny afternoon, it leaves me with no option.
BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell

Mobyduck
03-07-2016, 21:26
Hopback GFB
Black Rock Endless IPA
Darkstar Hophead
Sambrooks Wandle
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Surrey Hills Collusion (dry hopped one off) BOTW
Youngs Bitter
Hogs Back TEA
Wimbledon Common Pale Ale

A very much run of the mill week beerwise with the exception of Surrey Hills Collusion, a one off dry hopped version that was sensational, enjoyed in Cobbett's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82200/)Micro Pub ,Dorking.

Aqualung
03-07-2016, 21:30
A fairly lean week and the first in ages where all pubs visited were Spoons.

Windsor & Eton Windsor Knot 4.0%
ELB Foundation Bitter 4.2%
Purple Moose Glaslyn 4.2%
Dunscar Amber Ale 4.5%
Oakleaf Donkey's Delight 4.5%
Adnam's Ghost Ship 4.5%
Ringwood 49'er 4.9%
Burton Bridge Top Dog Stout 5.0%*
Peerless Galaxian 5.0%*
Banks's Alpha 5 Pale Ale 5.0%*
Irving Iron Duke IPA 5.3%
Titanic Nine Tenths Below 5.9%
Phoenix Wobbly Bob 6.0%

The easy winner is the Peerless Galaxian, not just another great beer from the Birkenhead brewer but also one named after one of my favourite arcade games. It was £2.30 in the Wallasey Clairville. The Banks's brewed Alpha 5 is the best JDW International for a long time. It's time to fire up the arcade emulator!

BOTW Peerless Galaxian

Wittenden
03-07-2016, 22:59
Kent;pretty thin on the cask front.

Wantsum-Montgomery IPA 4%. I couldn't really detect the shed-loads od Citra and Simcoe hops. Clear,but tasted a bit "muddy".
Boutilliers-India Brown Ale 6.8%abv naturally conditioned bottled beer from a new brewery in Faversham. Lignite-brown,heavily hopped with US and NZ cultivars,rich and chocolatey. My BOTW.

aleandhearty
04-07-2016, 11:04
Decent week for me, from a variety point of view, but nothing really exciting on the flavour front.

Rat - White Rat.
Titanic - Plum Porter.*
Partners - Cascade.
Bad Co. - Dazed & Confused.
Elland - Summit for the Weekend.
Saltaire - Long Day.
Whippet - Snap Dog.
Great Heck - Amish Mash.
Magpie - Jay IPA.
Fernandes - Polaris.*
Wimbledon - Quartermaine IPA.
Saltaire - Cascadian Black.
Fernandes - Double Six.*
Fernandes - Westgate Wobble.
Ossett - Clearwater.
Fernandes - Ale to the Tsar.
Raw - Baby Ghost IPA.

Best of the bunch was the Double Six, a lovely rich stout.

london calling
04-07-2016, 21:34
My daughter got married in a hotel in Ware on Saturday.No real ales and dreadful keg choice but they did have 3 bottled Tring beers.As I cannot rate the champagne,prosseco,pimms,red wine ,white wine or the jagerbombs that i consumed its got to be
Tring -side pocket for a Toad which in bottle was a cracking beer (not something I thought I would say after some pretty bland cask pints round the St Albans area recently)

Komakino
04-07-2016, 22:00
Finally got to sample the veritable Thornbridge Jaipur (at the impressive The Stag (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23749/) in Belsize Park). Wonderfully citrussy and hoppy with a bitter finish. The only bugbear was that I was charged an abominable £6.20 for a pint...! (is this a new record...?)

BOTW Thornbridge Jaipur (5.9%)

Mobyduck
04-07-2016, 22:35
Finally got to sample the veritable Thornbridge Jaipur (at the impressive The Stag (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23749/) in Belsize Park). Wonderfully citrussy and hoppy with a bitter finish. The only bugbear was that I was charged an abominable £6.20 for a pint...! (is this a new record...?)

Keg or cask?

Komakino
04-07-2016, 22:43
It was keg, MD...

Mobyduck
04-07-2016, 23:22
It was keg, MD...

I paid £5.50 4 years ago here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23382/), so sounds about right, a rip of then and still is now by the sounds of it. Nice beer though.

Real Ale Ray
05-07-2016, 12:07
Mobberley Brewhouse - Whirly Bird

london calling
05-07-2016, 22:02

Quite a rare beer on keg I think but £6.20 is a rip-off.

aleandhearty
07-07-2016, 14:57

Don't wish to piss you right off, KK, but glancing at the 'Real Ale Pubs in Yorkshire' facebook page, just now, they were showing a post from the Leggers Inn, Dewsbury, selling cask Jaipur for £3.10 a pint. Oh, it's grim up North.

Aqualung
07-07-2016, 21:18
Don't wish to piss you right off, KK, but glancing at the 'Real Ale Pubs in Yorkshire' facebook page, just now, they were showing a post from the Leggers Inn, Dewsbury, selling cask Jaipur for £3.10 a pint. Oh, it's grim up North.

Despite posts I've made in the past I know for a fact it's not grim up North or in the Midlands. It was £3.20 in the Grove in Huddersfield but a better pint for £2.90 (I think, I didn't write it down) in the Bell Hotel Spoons in Norwich. Obviously this was just cask but I would never bother with it on keg.

Bucking Fastard
10-07-2016, 12:03
Late submission,been navigating.Visits during the week to Letchworth,Hertford,Bristol and Bath.

Garden City Brewery -- Amarillo Pale*
Garden City Brewery -- Mash Up
McMullens -- Cask (3PT)
McMullens -- IPA
New Bristol -- Little India
Titanic -- Iceberg*
Blue Bee -- Red Comet
Thornbridge -- Dalton *
Thornbridge -- Wye (very unusual cucumber flavoured brew)
King Street Brewhouse -- White Trash *
Bristol Beer Factory -- Milk Stout *
Arbor -- Why Kick a Moo Cow *
Keystone -- VPA
Beerd -- Monterey
RCH -- Pitchfork
Bristol Beer Factory -- Independence * (3 PT)

Some good stuff there with BOTW Arbor Why Kick a Moo Cow on top form in the Bath Brew House.

Komakino
10-07-2016, 23:30

No offence taken, AH. It was only after I'd parted with my hard-earned, that I noticed (much to my chagrin) a blackboard with their complete beer range, stating quite clearly that they offered all their beers in pints, halves or thirds. I believe the saying rhymes with 'clucking bell'...

ROBCamra
15-07-2016, 12:51
Quite a pedestrian week for me, but the best of an average bunch was Northern Monk Chennai Porter.

A black, smooth bit of 5.4% lovliness, in The Baum of course.:cheers: