PDA

View Full Version : Royal Oak, Tabard St

oldboots
18-06-2016, 17:58
One for the Londoners, something unpleasant seems to be happening at The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24284/). I read that Harvey's want to modernise the place and are in the process of evicting the long standing landlord Frank Taylor, who has made it such a great place, three times winner of London Pub of the Year. Not been myself but the reviews are glowing.

Mobyduck
18-06-2016, 18:54
One for the Londoners, something unpleasant seems to be happening at The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24284/). I read that Harvey's want to modernise the place and are in the process of evicting the long standing landlord Frank Taylor, who has made it such a great place, three times winner of London Pub of the Year. Not been myself but the reviews are glowing.

Sounds bit dodgy to me , its a perfect example of a traditional back street corner pub with a well qualified reputation, why Harveys would want to f**k this up with a refurb is beyond me.

Rex_Rattus
18-06-2016, 19:17
I've not heard about this and I'm often in this pub, which is used regularly for CAMRA meetings and London Drinker distribution.

OB - can you let me know your source? PM me if you'd prefer to keep it private.

Rex

NickDavies
18-06-2016, 22:32
Yes evidence please. I've heard similar talk before and it was just gossip; there are those around who like to stir it about high profile pubs. Sadly a certain type of Camra member is often at the bottom of it. I do know Frank had a period of ill heath recently.

sheffield hatter
18-06-2016, 22:41
Sounds bit dodgy to me , its a perfect example of a traditional back street corner pub with a well qualified reputation, why Harveys would wnt to f**k this up with a refurb is beyond me.

I second that emotion. It must be 10 years or more since I was here for my only visit, but I remember it well. Harveys have clearly never heard that if it isn't broken, there's no need to repair it, or something equally pithy.

london calling
18-06-2016, 23:01
I've not heard about this and I'm often in this pub, which is used regularly for CAMRA meetings and London Drinker distribution.

OB - can you let me know your source? PM me if you'd prefer to keep it private.

Rex
Its been all over Twitter the last few days.Seems to have originated from SPBW sources.

Aqualung
19-06-2016, 01:36
I've never been in it!
Didn't I hear some time ago that they are doing away with tenants in favour of managers??
I know the King's Head just outside Hailsham changed a few years ago and now has proper opening times and hot food.
The GBG says under new management since May 2014.

NickDavies
19-06-2016, 11:54
I've never been in it!
Didn't I hear some time ago that they are doing away with tenants in favour of managers??
I know the King's Head just outside Hailsham changed a few years ago and now has proper opening times and hot food.
The GBG says under new management since May 2014.

A tenant manages the pub too, either personally or by employing someone to do it - "under new management" doesn't imply the arrangement.

Harveys are advertising tenancies

https://www.harveys.org.uk/trade/run-your-own-pub/

oldboots
19-06-2016, 12:10
Its been all over Twitter the last few days.Seems to have originated from SPBW sources.

That's where I saw it, it appears to have started with SPBW Northern Ireland for some reason, early on 17th June. They don't give a source and the original tweet isn't a re-tweet from somewhere else.

Quinno
19-06-2016, 13:31
That's where I saw it, it appears to have started with SPBW Northern Ireland for some reason, early on 17th June. They don't give a source and the original tweet isn't a re-tweet from somewhere else.

SPBW NI Twitter is run by a very strange person indeed (I've been blocked by them as have many others) - I would be very wary of putting much faith in that as a single source.

NickDavies
19-06-2016, 13:42
see

https://twitter.com/RogerProtzBeer/status/743801141532700672

Just had word from someone who does know Frank well. Harveys do want to do a refurb, Frank very unhappy and currently standing his ground.

Aqualung
19-06-2016, 15:16
A tenant manages the pub too, either personally or by employing someone to do it - "under new management" doesn't imply the arrangement.

Fair point.