PDA

View Full Version : 50000

AlanH
20-05-2016, 11:49
We have finally been reduced to exactly 50,000 open pubs on PuG with about another dozen going this week! :(
Who is going to shut the next pub and put us into the 40,s? Probably being done now whilst I'm still typing. Or maybe someone has found a couple that have opened to (temporarily) buck the trend.
Should we mourn our losses or celebrate that we have got the most we will ever have?
Perhaps just keep supporting them to keep what we can. Gosh, I am feeling thirsty. I must pop out for ...... maybe just one!! :cheers:

EDIT: Hooray! A new pub has been added, now 50.001! :D:D

Pubsignman
20-05-2016, 12:30
I've just reopened two pubs and added a new one, so we should be on 50,003 now, but your point is valid - it's pretty sad to see numbers still dwindling.

Brewhouse and Kitchen (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/9516/)

Brewhouse and Kitchen (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84136/)

The Swan Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35704/)

Quinno
20-05-2016, 13:21
We have finally been reduced to exactly 50,000 open pubs on PuG with about another dozen going this week! :(
Who is going to shut the next pub and put us into the 40,s? Probably being done now whilst I'm still typing. Or maybe someone has found a couple that have opened to (temporarily) buck the trend.
Should we mourn our losses or celebrate that we have got the most we will ever have?
Perhaps just keep supporting them to keep what we can. Gosh, I am feeling thirsty. I must pop out for ...... maybe just one!! :cheers:

EDIT: Hooray! A new pub has been added, now 50.001! :D:D

Where's the figure situated? Did you just sum all the open pubs on the counties review page?

Pubsignman
20-05-2016, 13:37
Where's the figure situated? Did you just sum all the open pubs on the counties review page?

You can find the total at the top of this page: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/reviews-counties.php

I've opened a few more, so up to 50,006 now.

Delboy20
20-05-2016, 18:49
Just think - out of the 50018 open pubs now how many are actually shut / gone but we just don't know ? Must be a fair few.

On a brighter note there are probably quite a few open pubs just not listed on here at all !!

AlanH
20-05-2016, 19:57
Just think - out of the 50018 open pubs now how many are actually shut / gone but we just don't know ? Must be a fair few.

On a brighter note there are probably quite a few open pubs just not listed on here at all !!

Since I noticed that we were down to 50000 pubs and dropping by about 15 to 20 a week, we have a surge up to 50019 pubs. Is this the end of the "pub recession!" Are we going to do a "Leicester"! and win back more pubs. No, of course, it is a vain hope. We will soon be back to normality and losing more than we are winning. More like doing an Aston :avfc: Villa! (Sorry Delboy, perhaps you could win the Premiership in Two years!)
As you say, we are probably below 50000 already with closures that we have not spotted in the weaker areas.
What?ub only have 47,000 open pubs. That is because in their weaker branches, only the Real Ale pubs have been added. Perhaps the true figure is around 49000 open pubs.

Aqualung
20-05-2016, 21:33
50000 is just another number. There are so many chain restaurants and night clubs listed on here that aren't pubs which make any statistics completely meaningless.

ROBCamra
16-06-2016, 14:22
Less than 50,000 now. :(

I'm afraid I discovered several closed pubs in Kettering and Wellingborough.

Farway
16-06-2016, 17:08
Less than 50,000 now. :(

I'm afraid I discovered several closed pubs in Kettering and Wellingborough.

And I also reported a closed one this week

ETA
17-06-2016, 08:26
What?ub only have 47,000 open pubs. That is because in their weaker branches, only the Real Ale pubs have been added. Perhaps the true figure is around 49000 open pubs.

...although they have a few outlets listed that we don't as they aren't really pubs as such.

Aqualung
19-06-2016, 00:39
...although they have a few outlets listed that we don't as they aren't really pubs as such.

What Pub probably has more clubs than here (although I have spotted some really pointless ones on here) plus a number of off licences.

Pubsignman
06-01-2019, 23:42
Good to see the number of pubs listed on this site back above 50,000 again - two and a half years after this thread was started (50,033 open pubs at time of writing).

Gann
07-01-2019, 10:46
Good to see the number of pubs listed on this site back above 50,000 again - two and a half years after this thread was started (50,033 open pubs at time of writing).

Yes and the stability is probably due to, and what ever you may think of them, you have to say Hooray for "Micropubs"

Strongers
07-01-2019, 10:52
I wonder how many of them are hotels that allow non-residents.

Aqualung
07-01-2019, 11:42
I wonder how many of them are hotels that allow non-residents.
There are pubs that do B & B and hotels that have bars open to the public. I've no idea how this could be defined, maybe it can't! Some of the new JDW hotels are just JDWs with a few rooms to let. They don't even have a proper reception.

Bucking Fastard
07-01-2019, 13:06
Yes and the stability is probably due to, and what ever you may think of them, you have to say Hooray for "Micropubs"

I guess this is a major factor in the stabilisation around 50,000 and in town centres you also get new wine bars/cocktail lounges springing up in what were small shop units.Another trend is the growth in mixed use premises,coffee bar by day,alcoholic drinks at night.
There do seem to be a trickle of pubs that are reopening,rather than just shop conversions springing up so overall getting back above 50,000 must be good news.Anyone got any hard data ?

ROBCamra
07-01-2019, 13:46

It's gonna go down below 50,000 again soon.

I have a list of 406 pubs that are potentially closed that I'm slowly working through. :(

Quinno
07-01-2019, 18:58
It's gonna go down below 50,000 again soon.

I have a list of 406 pubs that are potentially closed that I'm slowly working through. :(

Ah - you must be working on the same lists Snow White generates as me. I was busy re-opening a load off the other list yesterday!

ROBCamra
07-01-2019, 19:00
Ah - you must be working on the same lists Snow White generates as me. I was busy re-opening a load off the other list yesterday!

Been doing this since 2014. Welcome aboard "Johnny Come Lately" :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
07-01-2019, 19:07
There has been loads I've not added that fit the criteria that I've been in and others I suspect in the same mindset without even considering a speakeasy or cocktail no pint/draught serving location which could increase numbers.

There are also others that people have reopened that local CAMRA have as closed such as Velindra (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/705/) and I can't find any newer information to confirm it's opened so the stats will always have a gulf between actual open and closed numbers.

Quinno
07-01-2019, 19:28
Been doing this since 2014. Welcome aboard "Johnny Come Lately" :cheers:

Heh, 2017 start for me.

There are also others that people have reopened that local CAMRA have as closed such as Velindra (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/705/) and I can't find any newer information to confirm it's opened so the stats will always have a gulf between actual open and closed numbers.

I've shut that one again - I walked past it on Saturday and it was very closed. I am sure WhatPub had it listed as open a few days ago, but maybe my mind was playing tricks.

bcfczuluarmy
07-01-2019, 20:09
No worries I'd based my knowledge on PW120 and hadn't made the effort to see if it had reopened by visiting, just used it as an example to highlight the indifference of open/closed but at the same time slack CAMRA regions have the same issues off exact figures of open/closed pubs against what PuG has, it's a minefield.

Delboy20
08-01-2019, 18:42

Hooray!

I have added quite a few micropubs lately - they seem to be constantly opening.

Bucking Fastard
19-08-2019, 13:17
I see the total has sneaked above 50,000 again............................................ or is there still a long list of potential closures being worked through to prick the bubble of my optimism ?

ROBCamra
19-08-2019, 13:36
I see the total has sneaked above 50,000 again............................................ or is there still a long list of potential closures being worked through to prick the bubble of my optimism ?

Pop!!! Net of about 350 still to be closed. :mad: