PDA

View Full Version : The King's Arms Bessel Green

ETA
07-05-2010, 05:38
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16782/

Address shows Sevenoaks, but the pub is actually in Bessel's Green which is some way out of the town. I would sugegst changing to Bessels Green to avoid confusion.

Conrad
08-05-2010, 11:33
Hi ETA,

Looking at the map there is no reference to Bessels Greeen as an area (I can see the road and the church). Chipstead is the nearest place that looks like an area, my concern is whether anyone other than a local is going to know to look for that location?

Let me know and I will change it as you suggest.

ETA
08-05-2010, 16:42
Hi Conrad,

Interestingly, if you search on Multimap it doesn't pick up Bessels Green, yet the actual mapping - both the OS and street atlas - clearly show it (just to the south of Chipstead, in grid square 5040). So, it isn't in the Multimap Gazetteer.

For preference I would still say Bessel's Green, but I leave the decision to you.

ETA

rpadam
08-05-2010, 17:35
Hi Conrad,

Interestingly, if you search on Multimap it doesn't pick up Bessels Green, yet the actual mapping - both the OS and street atlas - clearly show it (just to the south of Chipstead, in grid square 5040). So, it isn't in the Multimap Gazetteer.

For preference I would still say Bessel's Green, but I leave the decision to you.

ETA
I would agree that Bessels Green is a separate place (dating back to the 17th century), albeit one that has subsequently got rather swallowed up as a suburb of Sevenoaks.

However, if it can't be listed as a separate 'village' then I think that many people would be more likely to see it as part of Riverhead than Chipstead.

NB - There is some history about Bessels Green and the Kings Head here:

www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/documents/besselsgreen1.pdf

Conrad
08-05-2010, 23:41
Well I have moved The Kings Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16782/) to Bessels Green.

I am still a little torn about this sort of choice, but it looks like this one is distinct from all the other mentioned areas rather than arguably being part of them.

Thanks for the clarifications.

ETA
09-05-2010, 09:35
Thanks Conrad.

I think the main thing here is that peopl erealise it's not actually in the town of Sevenoaks.