PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl

oldboots
05-05-2010, 08:07
I am planning a mammoth Midlands pubcrawl, well 5 days, this June. I should be starting in Birmingham City Centre on a Monday night followed by the Black Country on Tuesday, Ironbridge on Wednesday, Bridgnorth on Thursday and ending in Worcester on Friday night. So far the pubs I have as don't miss are listed below, have I missed anywhere? Is there a really obvious gem that has passed me by or are any of these complete mingers?

Birmingham,
The Bull, Old Fox, Wellington, and in Digbeth, The Anchor, The Lamp and the White Swan. I will probably have breakfast in the Briar Rose or the Figure of 8.

Black Country
I'm staying in Dudley but intend going to Sedgely (Beacon) Upper Gornal (Britannia and Jolly Crispen) and Lower Gornal (Black Bear and Fountain). I'd love to go to Brierley Hill or Netherton again but time is against me as I only have one evening of drinking here.

Ironbridge
After the All Nations in Madeley I 'm going down to Ironbridge, I know and quite like the Golden Ball and the Robin Hood, I may try the Bird in Hand? I was also thinking of trying Jackfield (Station/Black Swan/Boat) and Coalport (Shakespere). I'm there Wednesday night and Thursday before going off to Bridgnorth for Thursday night/Friday. Does anyone know if there's a bridge near the Boat Inn that goes over to Coalport High St? My map calls it a Tar Tunnel.

Bridgnorth
Obviously the Railwaymans will get a couple of visits as well as the GBG listed pubs in High Town plus the Black Horse down the hill. The Black Boy, Swan Hotel, Hen & Chickens also look worthwhile. I shall get the SVR train down to Kidderminster about mid afternoon on Friday with a break for refreshments in the King & Castle before going on to Worcester.

For Worcester I have the Dragon of course (although I think it's a bit cliquey and prefer the atmosphere in the Saracens) plus the Plough and the Swan with Two Nicks. There's also the Postal Order and I quite liked the Cricketers last time I was in.

RogerB
05-05-2010, 08:26
Sounds superb.

I started a marathan pub crawl 31 years ago. I'm probably just over half way.:D

hopwas
05-05-2010, 09:46
Old Fox is now rubbish and only sells one ale if my memory serves me right. I last went to Old Fox was last October. Old Fox was in GBG but no longer. Go to Dragon Inn (JDW) only 100 yards down from Old Fox.

You can add Old Joint Stock to your list.. After you have finished your pint at Welly, go out via back door and up the stairs, you are in Old Joint Stock.. Wonderful pub and most Northerly Fuller's pub in UK.

ROBCamra
05-05-2010, 10:30
Old Fox is now rubbish and only sells one ale if my memory serves me right. I last went to Old Fox was last October. Old Fox was in GBG but no longer. Go to Dragon Inn (JDW) only 100 yards down from Old Fox.

You can add Old Joint Stock to your list.. After you have finished your pint at Welly, go out via back door and up the stairs, you are in Old Joint Stock.. Wonderful pub and most Northerly Fuller's pub in UK.

The Green Dragon is one of the most up and down JDWs I've ever been in. Call in one week and they've got 4 guest ales on. Called in the next and they only had Abbott on handpump.

Old Fox is in GBG 2010 Hoppy. :confused: Has it been dropped for the 2011 one?

hopwas
05-05-2010, 10:39
The Green Dragon is one of the most up and down JDWs I've ever been in. Call in one week and they've got 4 guest ales on. Called in the next and they only had Abbott on handpump.

Old Fox is in GBG 2010 Hoppy. :confused: Has it been dropped for the 2011 one?

Old Fox is in GBG?! Jesus.. One ale and they are in GBG! Outrageous! :mad:

Since when it has changed name from Dragon Inn to Green Dragon? :whistle:

ROBCamra
05-05-2010, 10:44
Ironbridge
After the All Nations in Madeley I 'm going down to Ironbridge, I know and quite like the Golden Ball and the Robin Hood, I may try the Bird in Hand? I was also thinking of trying Jackfield (Station/Black Swan/Boat) and Coalport (Shakespere). I'm there Wednesday night and Thursday before going off to Bridgnorth for Thursday night/Friday. Does anyone know if there's a bridge near the Boat Inn that goes over to Coalport High St? My map calls it a Tar Tunnel.

If you try the Bird In Hand walk across the nearby bridge and definitely try the Black Swan as well, especially if it's sunny as they have a great beer garden. As does The Meadow Inn at the opposite end of the town.

The curry house at the bottom of the hill from the Golden Ball (going back into town, not towards Jackfield) is pretty good as well.

Where are you staying in Ironbridge?

ROBCamra
05-05-2010, 10:51
Since when it has changed name from Dragon Inn to Green Dragon? :whistle:

It was a very recent change Hoppy and only in my head. :o

hopwas
05-05-2010, 11:33
It was a very recent change Hoppy and only in my head. :o

:D
You are not the only one.. I keep referring Dragon Inn as Drangonfly Inn which is of course JDW at BIA..

Oggwyn Trench
05-05-2010, 17:10
The Boat at Jackfield is usually worth a visit and theres a footbridge over to Coalport right outside , if your in a car you can go further down the river and cross at the Woodbridge wheres theres another pub , the Woodbridge .
The Brewery in Coalport isnt to bad if its open (strange opening times because of mating Fireflys:rolleyes:)
If your a CAMRA member you should be able to get in the Abbey Club at Buildwas , its got a good rep for beer and is set in the ruins of Buildwas Abbey.
A bit further up the hill is the Coalbrookdale , its allways worth a visit and a GBG regular .

Soup Dragon
05-05-2010, 17:10
Hi OB

The Mount Pleasant in Sedgely is worth a look - but hopefully i can meet up with you anyhow!

Oggwyn Trench
05-05-2010, 17:25
http://www.ironbridge-gorge.co.uk/Pub_Guide/pub_guide.html these are all the pubs in the Gorge , most of the listings have links to the pubs own web pages , hope it helps

oldboots
05-05-2010, 17:52
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated,

I'll add the Old Joint Stock to the list rather than the Old Fox, the reviews of the Dragon aren't very inspiring but I may go and see for myself.

The curry house at the bottom of the hill from the Golden Ball (going back into town, not towards Jackfield) is pretty good as well.

Where are you staying in Ironbridge?

To my shame the Tontine (I know I know) but I had an issue with staying at the Ball and just forgot the Robin Hood did rooms. All curry house recommendations gratefully received.

The Boat at Jackfield is usually worth a visit and theres a footbridge over to Coalport right outside , if your in a car you can go further down the river and cross at the Woodbridge wheres theres another pub , the Woodbridge .
The Brewery in Coalport isnt to bad if its open (strange opening times because of mating Fireflys:rolleyes:)
If your a CAMRA member you should be able to get in the Abbey Club at Buildwas , its got a good rep for beer and is set in the ruins of Buildwas Abbey.
A bit further up the hill is the Coalbrookdale , its allways worth a visit and a GBG regular .

I hoped there was a bridge there, that solves that bit of the crawl. It's a mammoth crawl so trains and buses only (no license = no job). I'll check out the Brewery but Buildwas might be a bit far as might Coalbrookedale unless the bus goes that way on Thursday afternoon.

Hi OB

The Mount Pleasant in Sedgely is worth a look - but hopefully i can meet up with you anyhow!

I'll see you there, I'll PM you nearer the time and see how you're fixed for a lift from Mrs SD.

gillhalfpint
05-05-2010, 18:52
How about the Bartons Arms at Newtown, Birmingham. If you are going to the Bull in Price Street, it is just a few stops further on the 51/52 or 33/34 routes. Oakham house that is fantastic inside. The old tiling and snob screens are worth the visit alone.

You just have to wander round the tiled rooms. Has been a bit up and down beer wise lately, but I have heard Oakham have taken it back in hand and installed someone to look after it properly.

Anyone getting a chance of a cellar tour there should take it. It is amazing with a warren of rooms.

DannyO'Revey
05-05-2010, 19:49
Sounds like a fine few days!

As for Birmingham, it seems to continue to improve but changes often - I would agree with the comment of adding the Joint Stock, and also, despite my own review of the Dragon, since then this has improved greatly whilst the Old Fox next door has gone the other way. Potential wild cards could be the excellent Old Contemptables and Pub du Vin. Outsiders Sun on the Hill next to Briar Rose has some beers now and has improved, as has the Windsor round the corner, though the architecture isn't brilliant in either and they are still changing. And heading out on the way to the Black Country there are some fine bars now in the Jewellery Quarter and the Black Eagle in Hockley is very fine indeed.

For me the Anchor is the best pint in Birmingham, and worth the trip out to Digbeth.

Hope you enjoy

Danny

Andy Ven
05-05-2010, 20:36
Birmingham - you know it well enough but did you consider the Old Joint Stock, Old Contemptibles, Tap and Spile or even the Barton Arms (listed under Aston, on the 51 bus route from Brum to Walsall)

Lower Gornal - Old Bulls Head ( home of Black Country Ales); Mad O'Rourke's Steak and Pie Factory (Lumphammer). The Crooked House has upped its game but you would need a driver/taxi

Bridgnorth - Soup D has just trodden this path but have you looked at the Bell and Talbot or the White Lion

Worcester - I'm not sure how mobile you can be but I visited the Mug House at Claines on Monday and it's excellent. You need a car/taxi to get there

Andy Ven
05-05-2010, 20:45

I used to like the setting of the Woodbridge but it's been a while since I went last. I must go again sometime (The Half Moon Inn was a summer Sunday afternoon favourite haunt down the wooden road - a sad loss when it closed in the 90s)

ROBCamra
06-05-2010, 07:00
To my shame the Tontine (I know I know) but I had an issue with staying at the Ball and just forgot the Robin Hood did rooms. All curry house recommendations gratefully received.

I've no idea what the rooms are like but The Tontine now sells some good beer. Usually 3 on tap and all well kept on my last visit.

I believe it's a bit of a kiddies playroom on Saturday nights though.

Oggwyn Trench
06-05-2010, 17:06
If your in Ironbridge of an afternoon be warned the Bird in Hand doesnt open in the day during the week .
As for curry houses the one on the island at the bottom of the hill in the old police station , Pondicherry is very good but a bit pricey . If you fancy something english the Steak and Kidney pies at the Horse and Jockey are regular award winners in national compitions and come highly recomended .

Oggwyn Trench
06-05-2010, 17:14
I used to like the setting of the Woodbridge but it's been a while since I went last. I must go again sometime (The Half Moon Inn was a summer Sunday afternoon favourite haunt down the wooden road - a sad loss when it closed in the 90s)

The Woodbridge has struggled to stay open recently , not helped by major roadworks meaning a huge diversion through Brossley to get there a couple of years ago , to be honest i am not sure its still open , will have to check .
I preffered the Half Moon to the other pubs on that side of the river , though the Black Swan(Dirty Duck) has upped its game and is now very good .
The wooden road is actually one of the oldest railway lines in the country , built for horse drawn trucks long before steam engines

Oggwyn Trench
08-05-2010, 08:01
Talking to a couple of old boys in the Station last night who had done a Coalport/Jackfield crawl earlier this week , bad news is the Brewery in Coalport is now keg only ruining what was once a cracking little pub , but the good news is the Half Moon in Jackfield is set to reopen in the next few months after being closed for about 15 years , its now owned by the Landlord of the Shakespeare in Coalport and has undergone an 18 month resturation

Andy Ven
10-05-2010, 20:05
Talking to a couple of old boys in the Station last night who had done a Coalport/Jackfield crawl earlier this week , bad news is the Brewery in Coalport is now keg only ruining what was once a cracking little pub , but the good news is the Half Moon in Jackfield is set to reopen in the next few months after being closed for about 15 years , its now owned by the Landlord of the Shakespeare in Coalport and has undergone an 18 month resturation

That would be fab if it happens. Strange that the wooden road was a railway line, it's like a mini rollercoaster ride!

oldboots
14-06-2010, 07:37
Today is the start day of my Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl, but since I work in the telecommunications industry I obviously have absolutely no mobile broadband, iPhones or other whizzy stuff, so I shall be without your company until next Sunday :( .

The cunning plan is

Monday Birmingham
Tuesday Dudley, Gornal, Sedgely
Wednesday Ironbridge
Thursday Bridgenorth
Friday Worcester
Saturday York (Liver transplant?)
Sunday Catch up on PuG, maybe Slovenia will be through to the next round by then :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for their suggestions which I look forward to sampling.

Soup Dragon
14-06-2010, 11:09
Today is the start day of my Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl, but since I work in the telecommunications industry I obviously have absolutely no mobile broadband, iPhones or other whizzy stuff, so I shall be without your company until next Sunday :( .

The cunning plan is

Monday Birmingham
Tuesday Dudley, Gornal, Sedgely
Wednesday Ironbridge
Thursday Bridgenorth
Friday Worcester
Saturday York (Liver transplant?)
Sunday Catch up on PuG, maybe Slovenia will be through to the next round by then :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for their suggestions which I look forward to sampling.

I will be finishing work at 12 - so will see you in the Britannia for a Bathams and a few cokes, mate - will text you

oldboots
20-06-2010, 09:07
Well that's all over and although suffering my liver remains basically intact although I didn't drink much on Saturday :eek:.

Just worked out that over the five days I visited 38 pubs, only managed to drink 40 pints - of which 14 were MILD, 2 were Stout, one and a half "proper" lagers (Budvar and Pilsner Urquell) the rest being Bitters and Golden Ales. For the booze police I downed 93 and a bit units so I'm off out today to get it up to 100 :D

Most pints were good or excellent although there were a couple of dodgy ones in usually superb pubs, surprise of the week was that Church End can actually make a very drinkable beer (Coffin Stout). I had one beer that while in good condition was utter pish, if I'd brewed it and charged money for it I'd be looking for a new career.

Better start on those 38 pub reviews.