PDA

View Full Version : Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Aqualung
03-03-2016, 20:46
I've set this up for Rail Travel as opposed to free pints in the Voucher Watch thread.
I'll kick it off by revealing something I only discovered in the last week or two. You can book midweek (ONLY) advance tickets on Virgin East Coast trains 24 rather than the usual 12 weeks prior to travel. I'm going to Scotland for the first time in 30 years this summer and it's an early train from the Cross, £16.50 each way with a railcard. It's costing me around £15.00 just for a "Cheap" day return to Hernia Bay in Kent from Bromley South in a few months time.

Mobyduck
03-03-2016, 21:25
The South West Train £15.00 return deal (http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/TheGreatIndoors.aspx) is ongoing until 30/04/16.
But be aware tickets have to be booked by 11.59pm the day before travel and can only be used on SW trains, so check your connections, on my trip to Pompey last weekend, due to train delays and missing my connection I couldn't use the next available service as it involved a Cross Country train so had to spend an extra 50 mins in Basingstoke :sick: .

rpadam
03-03-2016, 21:38
Just over an hour to go to book tickets from Euston to Glasgow at just £14.00 each way at https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

Aqualung
03-03-2016, 22:43
The South West Train £15.00 return deal (http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/TheGreatIndoors.aspx) is ongoing until 30/04/16.
But be aware tickets have to be booked by 11.59pm the day before travel and can only be used on SW trains, so check your connections, on my trip to Pompey last weekend, due to train delays and missing my connection I couldn't use the next available service as it involved a Cross Country train so had to spend an extra 50 mins in Basingstoke :sick: .

That doesn't sound that good value to me! I know you're out in Hants but for me I can get advance Southern tickets £3.30 each way with a railcard from Victoria. The only good value advance tickets I've seen on SW trains are to the far flung places on their line to Exeter via Salisbury.
You can't break the journey with the advance tickets but with my coffin dodger's pass I could use buses for free or get a cheap day return to Havant or whatever.

Aqualung
03-03-2016, 22:50
Just over an hour to go to book tickets from Euston to Glasgow at just £14.00 each way at https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
I wouldn't mind betting you've got them! Virgin seem a lot better than other TOCs to me. A BellyAche out of Liverpool Street, GWR from Paddington and SE trains seem to be really poor to me. I've used London Midland a fair bit in the past few months and haven't really had too much problems with them despite their poor reputation.

Aqualung
18-04-2016, 18:41
GWR have another ticket sale.
Book before 29 April 2016 for travel between 10 May and 8 July 2016.
It's £5 to Oxford, £10 to Bristol and Bath and £18 to Cornwall.

Quinno
18-04-2016, 22:13
GWR have another ticket sale.
Book before 29 April 2016 for travel between 10 May and 8 July 2016.
It's £5 to Oxford, £10 to Bristol and Bath and £18 to Cornwall.

And all 7 tickets have gone by the looks of it. Most of these 'sales' are a croc.

hondo
19-04-2016, 06:41
I've set this up for Rail Travel as opposed to free pints in the Voucher Watch thread.
I'll kick it off by revealing something I only discovered in the last week or two. You can book midweek (ONLY) advance tickets on Virgin East Coast trains 24 rather than the usual 12 weeks prior to travel. I'm going to Scotland for the first time in 30 years this summer and it's an early train from the Cross, £16.50 each way with a railcard. It's costing me around £15.00 just for a "Cheap" day return to Hernia Bay in Kent from Bromley South in a few months time.

booked tickets to London sept 29 last week you can get them to email you when tickets go on sale https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/travel-information/cheap-ticket-alerts/

Aqualung
19-04-2016, 23:55
And all 7 tickets have gone by the looks of it. Most of these 'sales' are a croc.
I managed to pick up £5 EW tickets for Oxford in June on trains where the Senile Railcard doesn't give a cheaper option, but I expect overall you're right!

trainman
01-08-2016, 11:21
I bought day return London-Manchester for this Saturday, 06August, but am now highly unlikely to make the journey.
If anyone can use/wants to use the tickets it's a freebie - better than going to waste. Times are 09:40 arr 11:49, rtn 19:35 arr 22:01

pm me if you want 'em, or txt if you are someone who has my number!

hondo
12-08-2016, 09:24
East coast
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/the-nifty-50-seat-sale/

NickDavies
13-08-2016, 17:45
Chiltern currently doing Brum-London and vv for £4.40, though you have to hunt around to get that price

https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/20-advance-fares

trainman
23-11-2016, 13:48
Quite fancied an overnight in Edinburgh at £30rtn, but rather taters in Jan.
I'll be in Lincoln (via Newark £5ew) 28Jan, and Peterborough 14Jan.

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/snooze-you-lose-seat-sale/

Maldenman
10-03-2017, 13:27
Just bagged a Virgin return to Brum for £4 ew. Virgin 20th anniversary promo.

Aqualung
10-03-2017, 18:27
Just bagged a Virgin return to Brum for £4 ew. Virgin 20th anniversary promo.
I've got Wolverhampton for the same, going to have to try and find somewhere new to go. I also got a ticket on the slow line to Edinburgh for £14.00 as stage one of my attempt to get to the Wick JDW!

sheffield hatter
10-03-2017, 18:59
I also got a ticket on the slow line to Edinburgh for £14.00 as stage one of my attempt to get to the Wick JDW!

Good luck with that!

oldboots
10-03-2017, 20:25
I also got a ticket on the slow line to Edinburgh for £14.00 as stage one of my attempt to get to the Wick JDW!

Which is the slow line? Not the Waverley route surely?

Aqualung
10-03-2017, 21:02
Which is the slow line? Not the Waverley route surely?
It's the one from Euston via Brum and Wolverhampton. It's only slow because of the W Midlands section, once it leaves Wolverhampton it's pretty quick. I used it to get to Lancashire in January. There were no cheap tickets to Preston but I got a discounted advance to Brum and Brum to Preston on the same train in the same seat for £10.60.
I'm intending to use the Waverley line to access the three Borders JDWs in June.

hondo
06-07-2017, 07:21
west coast
https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/sale

Aqualung
06-07-2017, 22:44
west coast

I've booked a day in Manchester for October and a ticket to Colwyn Bay all at eleven quid a throw (Manc £11.00 EW). The £5 ticket back from Wolverhampton after N Wales only saves me 0.30p! The Wales trip was already planned but the Manc one is new.

hondo
22-08-2017, 11:45
east coast
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/halfprice/

hondo
01-11-2017, 12:39
cross country
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/birthday
20,000 discount codes available on a first come, first served basis. Sign-up required on 2 Nov 2017. Tickets can be bought between 3-6 Nov 2017 (inclusive) for travel between 3 Nov and 14 Dec 2017. Discounts apply to Standard CrossCountry Advance tickets purchased through the CrossCountry website (desktop or mobile only), subject to availability. Maximum of eight tickets can be purchased in one transaction. Discount cannot be used in conjunction with Railcards.

hondo
20-11-2017, 09:35
east coast
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/sale/

Aqualung
18-02-2018, 00:09
This is a subject that has been highlighted many times as a way of saving money on train journeys. I've heard that this usually applies to journeys involving more than one TOC.
I'm going to Glasgow in May and found that the advance ticket on the direct train with a railcard was around £43.00. I then looked at Euston to Preston and then on to Glasgow to find that the total came to around £35.00. That means my first 3 or 4 Wetherspoon pints will be free!
Virgin WC seem to be ramping up the price of tickets from London to North of the W Midlands (away from the competition) but not necessarily on the way back. What the casual rail traveller makes of all this nonsense is anyone's guess!

sheffield hatter
18-02-2018, 12:05
This is a subject that has been highlighted many times as a way of saving money on train journeys. I've heard that this usually applies to journeys involving more than one TOC.

Doesn't have to be more than one TOC. For example, I sometimes split a journey between Edinburgh and Sheffield at York, but end up being on the same train (Cross Country) all the way. Why is it cheaper this way? Just craziness.

rpadam
18-02-2018, 12:15
Why is it cheaper this way? Just craziness.
Perhaps not as bizarre as the routes where an Anytime ticket is cheaper than the matching Off-Peak one!

Aqualung
18-02-2018, 12:51
Doesn't have to be more than one TOC. For example, I sometimes split a journey between Edinburgh and Sheffield at York, but end up being on the same train (Cross Country) all the way. Why is it cheaper this way? Just craziness.
Bizarrely, I've got seat 62 to Preston and 61 to Glasgow! When I've done this before on Virgin Trains WC it's been the same seat.

Delboy20
18-02-2018, 13:26
I have split tickets a few times and saved a fair amount. When you try to explain it to someone who doesn't use trains they look at you as if you have gone mad!
I have split tickets at York for my next trip up to Sunderland.
The other advantage to splitting is that you can give yourself a little time to have a couple of beers en route!

Aqualung
18-02-2018, 15:21
I have split tickets a few times and saved a fair amount. When you try to explain it to someone who doesn't use trains they look at you as if you have gone mad!

I get that whatever the subject!

NickDavies
18-02-2018, 16:01
Perhaps not as bizarre as the routes where an Anytime ticket is cheaper than the matching Off-Peak one!

Or first class is cheaper than second.

Aqualung
18-02-2018, 17:53
Or first class is cheaper than second.
I've never seen that as I don't normally take much notice of first class. I'm guessing it could happen with advance tickets when the second class ones get snapped up.
I wonder if there is still the demand for first class travel any more especially on the full length Virgin trains on both East and West Coast main lines.

rpadam
18-02-2018, 18:04
I wonder if there is still the demand for first class travel any more especially on the full length Virgin trains on both East and West Coast main lines.
There still is from me, provided that there's a sale on.

Aqualung
18-02-2018, 18:55
There still is from me, provided that there's a sale on.
Fair enough, I've got a mate who does the same. I asked the wrong question really as what I wanted to know is whether the 3 or 4 first class carriages on a 9+ coach train are justified by the number of takers. I've never noticed it to be the case on the trains I've used. It's a different matter on, for example the four coach London North Western (Yawwwnnnn.... they've changed their name from London Midland) service from Euston to Crewe which just has a half carriage of First Class.

NickDavies
18-02-2018, 21:38
I've never seen that as I don't normally take much notice of first class. I

It's worth looking - I've got the 10AM Euston-Manchester a few times and had a nice breakfast c/o Virgin

Aqualung
10-04-2018, 11:44
I've recently found trouble getting advance tickets on a SATURDAY. It seems to be OK during the week and affect all lines. Is anyone else having trouble?

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2018, 16:50
I've recently found trouble getting advance tickets on a SATURDAY. It seems to be OK during the week and affect all lines. Is anyone else having trouble?

I've not tried to book advanced tickets on a Saturday but your question did lead me to wonder if there are any clever ruses or Virgin offers to Stoke on Trent for the Summer Pub Crawl on June 15th ?

Mobyduck
10-04-2018, 16:59
I've not tried to book advanced tickets on a Saturday but your question did lead me to wonder if there are any clever ruses or Virgin offers to Stoke on Trent for the Summer Pub Crawl on June 15th ?

There needs to be looking at the current advance prices.

sheffield hatter
10-04-2018, 17:23

I was trying to book tickets on their East Coast line for a Sunday in June. Ended up using Cross Country instead.

sheffield hatter
10-04-2018, 17:34
There needs to be looking at the current advance prices.

Have you tried splitting the ticket at Banbury? Or Banbury and Birmingham. Tedious, I know, but you could save quite a bit.

Aqualung
10-04-2018, 18:16
I was trying to book tickets on their East Coast line for a Sunday in June. Ended up using Cross Country instead.

I never travel on a Sunday, it may be there's engineering somewhere on the ECML It's good to have the choice!

Aqualung
10-04-2018, 18:26

If you're returning on the Friday there should be some cheap advance tickets, If it's Saturday and there are no advance tickets then there are two options, the Crewe to Euston London Midland service but not too late as it will be very slow or a Cross Country to Brum and then the slow London Midland service which is only £3.95 with a railcard.
The Virgin trains are preferable as it's usually only about an hour and a half to Euston. It takes that to get to most places on the South Coast!

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2018, 08:20
If you're returning on the Friday there should be some cheap advance tickets, If it's Saturday and there are no advance tickets then there are two options, the Crewe to Euston London Midland service but not too late as it will be very slow or a Cross Country to Brum and then the slow London Midland service which is only £3.95 with a railcard.
The Virgin trains are preferable as it's usually only about an hour and a half to Euston. It takes that to get to most places on the South Coast!

Thanks,as you say there are some decent advanced fares Euston - Stoke so will make it a day trip.

oldboots
11-04-2018, 13:29
I checked on the National Rail planner and there are warnings about timetable disruption on the WCML, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/184755.aspx

Aqualung
14-04-2018, 22:38
I checked on the National Rail planner and there are warnings about timetable disruption on the WCML, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/184755.aspx

Thanks, that probably explains it!

rpadam
14-04-2018, 22:56
This bit is quite important:

"Where Advance tickets have not yet gone on sale, customers can still buy Anytime, Off‐Peak and Super Off‐Peak tickets where they are available. If customers buy one of these and later discover a cheaper Advance ticket on sale for the same journey, they should book the Advance ticket and ask for a refund on the original ticket – there will be no admin fee."

hondo
05-07-2018, 06:07

Aqualung
31-10-2018, 16:49
From the pub crawl 2019 thread :-

Norwich is inescapably out on a limb transport-wise, though I don't recall the vintage carriages you mention...

Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old. It takes five and a half hours to get from Liverpool to Norwich which is an hour more than it takes to get from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's 254 miles from Norwich to Liverpool.
The London services are operated by a similar vintage electric loco with carriages and a DVT all inherited from the WCML They are supposed to be getting new EMUs so once again London is first in the queue for new stock.
In summer some of the Great Yarmouth services are run by Direct Rail Services, a train company which exists mainly to rescue broken down trains. These consist of a rake of ancient coaches with a Class 37 diesel at each end. These locos were first introduced in 1961 so you can be certain they are well over 50 years old.

However, nothing is worse than the Pacers used widely in the North , less so in the S Wales valleys and a few around Exeter. These are described as "railbuses" and were introduced by BR as a stopgap over thirty years ago and were intended to last for just twenty years. They are truly awful!

bcfczuluarmy
31-10-2018, 20:51
From the pub crawl 2019 thread :-

Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old. It takes five and a half hours to get from Liverpool to Norwich which is an hour more than it takes to get from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's 254 miles from Norwich to Liverpool.
The London services are operated by a similar vintage electric loco with carriages and a DVT all inherited from the WCML They are supposed to be getting new EMUs so once again London is first in the queue for new stock.
In summer some of the Great Yarmouth services are run by Direct Rail Services, a train company which exists mainly to rescue broken down trains. These consist of a rake of ancient coaches with a Class 37 diesel at each end. These locos were first introduced in 1961 so you can be certain they are well over 50 years old.

However, nothing is worse than the Pacers used widely in the North , less so in the S Wales valleys and a few around Exeter. These are described as "railbuses" and were introduced by BR as a stopgap over thirty years ago and were intended to last for just twenty years. They are truly awful!

Are you actually my dad in disguise as he worked on the railways all his life and he's doing all the spoons so knowledgeable on everything you've just referred to given your competant knowledge of railways, engines, EMU's/DMU's and rolling stock. Can't beat a class 37.

Aqualung
31-10-2018, 21:20
Are you actually my dad in disguise as he worked on the railways all his life and he's doing all the spoons so knowledgeable on everything you've just referred to given your competant knowledge of railways, engines, EMU's/DMU's and rolling stock. Can't beat a class 37.

That made me laugh! I've never worked on the railways but my Grandfather used to drive the main line trains out of Euston in steam, diesel and early electric days. I'm not a train spotter but more a rail enthusiast, I couldn't care less what the number of anything is but do want to know what class it is and what train company is running it. I'm quite keen on visiting proper heritage lines I haven;t been to already and found the SVR and WHR this year enormously enjoyable as well as the pubs very close to them.
I think next year must include a NYM visit.
Growlers (Class 37s to the uninitiated) are dinosaurs and don't belong on a modern working railway.

sheffield hatter
31-10-2018, 23:14
Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old.

No, I went via Doncaster and the ECML to Peterborough, that well known border town, because it can be quite a bit cheaper that way, then the slow train via Ely to Norwich.

I've used those Direct Rail Services trains on the Cumbrian Coast - they run them between Carlisle and Barrow in Furness sometimes. They're great - love those old carriages, though the step up to the guard's van can be awkward with a laden bicycle. And those Class 37s! (Though they only use one at a time on that route - pulling going north and pushing on the return journey.)

Yes, the heart sinks when a Pacer comes into view from the platform. Are they really not much more than 30 years old? Hard to credit.

Aqualung
01-11-2018, 08:19
No, I went via Doncaster and the ECML to Peterborough, that well known border town, because it can be quite a bit cheaper that way, then the slow train via Ely to Norwich.

I'm not surprised to hear that, the East Midland advance fares to Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield are a lot more expensive than the WCML.

I've used those Direct Rail Services trains on the Cumbrian Coast - they run them between Carlisle and Barrow in Furness sometimes. They're great - love those old carriages, though the step up to the guard's van can be awkward with a laden bicycle. And those Class 37s! (Though they only use one at a time on that route - pulling going north and pushing on the return journey.)

I ended up on one of those things when doing the Lake District coast Spoons and you're right about the push pull aspect. I didn't like it as much as you because I was travelling to Dumfries!

Yes, the heart sinks when a Pacer comes into view from the platform. Are they really not much more than 30 years old? Hard to credit.

They were first introduced in 1980 so none of them are 40 yet but they are all over 30. The most important thing is that they were supposed to be a stopgap.

oldboots
01-11-2018, 08:48

The secondary Leeds - York line has now got a few Class 170s, we're being spoiled as they're only 20 years old.

Pangolin
01-11-2018, 17:01
Yes the Pacers should all be gone within 2 years but be careful what you wish for! There are vast numbers of new trains on order for many areas of the country, sadly rather too many too quickly and including a lot of new design stuff from manufacturers who have hardly or not at all supplied the UK before. Adding in the lack of resources for testing and approving new trains, this is a recipe for significant chaos for a couple of years while bugs and teething problems are sorted out, not to mention problems caused by late introduction (as we have already seen). And while there will (eventually) be more and much needed carriages on many lines and with more features like air conditioning, USB charging etc, most new seat designs are truly appalling and incredibly uncomfortable compared to older ones. This is often claimed to be due to meeting fire regulations, but is actually more about packing in as many as possible.

Aqualung
01-11-2018, 19:39
The secondary Leeds - York line has now got a few Class 170s, we're being spoiled as they're only 20 years old.

Is this evidence of the Northern Powerhouse? I don't think so. The whole HS2 project is a joke and a total waste of money when you take a look at the appalling state of the railways in the North. There is no need at all for a new line from London to Brum. If it ends up at Leeds then it's going a long way round and I rather doubt that it will be that much quicker than the current service from KX. I've used the 08:43 from Euston to Edinburgh many times and it is never overcrowded, in fact many people just use it to go to Milton Keynes on weekdays.
If you think the WCML is overstretched then try getting the 09:07 from Euston to Lime Street where more than once I've fond the carriage almost to myself.

Aqualung
01-11-2018, 19:51
Yes the Pacers should all be gone within 2 years but be careful what you wish for! There are vast numbers of new trains on order for many areas of the country, sadly rather too many too quickly and including a lot of new design stuff from manufacturers who have hardly or not at all supplied the UK before. Adding in the lack of resources for testing and approving new trains, this is a recipe for significant chaos for a couple of years while bugs and teething problems are sorted out, not to mention problems caused by late introduction (as we have already seen). And while there will (eventually) be more and much needed carriages on many lines and with more features like air conditioning, USB charging etc, most new seat designs are truly appalling and incredibly uncomfortable compared to older ones. This is often claimed to be due to meeting fire regulations, but is actually more about packing in as many as possible.

On the day when we were told that a test train brought down the power lines at Hanwell I was travelling back from Bath on a train which slowed down past Slough and eventually ground to a halt at Ealing Broadway where they let passengers off. No explanation was given as to what the problem was and the delays started around 20:00 two hours before the Hanwell incident. I'm sure there is some sort of cover up going on here about what really happened that evening.

london calling
01-11-2018, 20:24
On the day when we were told that a test train brought down the power lines at Hanwell I was travelling back from Bath on a train which slowed down past Slough and eventually ground to a halt at Ealing Broadway where they let passengers off. No explanation was given as to what the problem was and the delays started around 20:00 two hours before the Hanwell incident. I'm sure there is some sort of cover up going on here about what really happened that evening.
I know nil about trains but on a another site they talk about kettles and vomitters. Any gen?

Aqualung
01-11-2018, 22:03
I know nil about trains but on a another site they talk about kettles and vomitters. Any gen?

Kettles is the derogatory term for steam locos used by people who are too stupid to appreciate them. I had to look up vomtters and it appears to apply to the more commonly described Voyagers used on many Cross Country services, East Midlands services from St Pancras and some of the Virgin services on the WCML. During the process of finding this I was also delighted to discover that the ancient and once ubiquitous Class 47 diesels were once called Spoons.

Pangolin
02-11-2018, 21:32

Not sure what the first problem was, although does seem to be unrelated, but they had just got everything running again when the wires came down. Where Network Rail is concerned, I'd go for cock-up over conspiracy any day!

trainman
20-11-2018, 11:20
LNER (old 'East Coast') specials, book by 22Nov for travel 04Jan-01Mar, but weekdays only.

https://www.lner.co.uk/sale/?utm_source=Merkle&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=CTA&utm_campaign=1811NovSeat-Launch&WT.mc_id=1811NovSeat-Launch&WT.mc_ev=click

Aqualung
30-06-2019, 13:13
Have you been at a station and heard a repeated tannoy announcement along the lines of "Would Inspector Sands come to the control room". The name can easily be heard as Inspector Sams. I heard this a few weeks ago at Paddington and it dawned on me that I had heard it before at other locations. It turns out he doesn't exist and this is a notification to staff that there is a fire alert usually a false alarm. They use this to prevent causing panic but now you know you can whip up a bout of mass hysteria when they use the announcement.

NickDavies
30-06-2019, 16:30
Inspector Sands come ...

When I used Victoria every day it happened a lot. Tended to mean a suspect package. A signal to get a move on before they closed off the tube station or cancelled all the trains for a while, both regular occurances.

Aqualung
30-06-2019, 18:14
When I used Victoria every day it happened a lot. Tended to mean a suspect package. A signal to get a move on before they closed off the tube station or cancelled all the trains for a while, both regular occurances.

It got to the evacuate the station messages before someone managed to turn it off. No attempt was made to clear the station.
I was getting a direct train to Worcester which stopped at Oxford due to a bridge strike near Evesham so went via Leamington, Moor Street, Stourbridge and Droitwich Spa.

Tris39
30-06-2019, 18:18
Have you been at a station and heard a repeated tannoy announcement along the lines of "Would Inspector Sands come to the control room". The name can easily be heard as Inspector Sams. I heard this a few weeks ago at Paddington and it dawned on me that I had heard it before at other locations. It turns out he doesn't exist and this is a notification to staff that there is a fire alert usually a false alarm. They use this to prevent causing panic but now you know you can whip up a bout of mass hysteria when they use the announcement.

Yes - he does get about a bit. I've been at both King's Cross St. Pancras and Holborn when the good inspector was on duty. The request for him to come to the control room is automated and delivered by a voice which sounds just like Patrick Allen reading the Protect and Survive public information films, so no need to panic then. On leaving Holborn, the voice shifted to 'This station is closed' and then shortly after 'This station is being evacuated'. :eek:

Tris39
30-06-2019, 18:22
It got to the evacuate the station messages before someone managed to turn it off. No attempt was made to clear the station.
I was getting a direct train to Worcester which stopped at Oxford due to a bridge strike near Evesham so went via Leamington, Moor Street, Stourbridge and Droitwich Spa.

Doubtless at Oxford, the duty officer is Inspector Morse? :whistle:

Aqualung
30-06-2019, 18:48
Doubtless at Oxford, the duty officer is Inspector Morse? :whistle:
I didn't find out, he was probably in the control room supping pints.

Pangolin
01-07-2019, 12:20
It is the nationally agreed procedure for most public transport and is triggered automatically when a fire alarm is set off to alert staff without alarming passengers. Hopefully someone will investigate and turn the damn thing off as it does automatically go to the Evacuate stage otherwise. If the alarm is in a critical location, like a control room, it will go straight to Evacuate so if you hear that without the Inspector Sands warning first best get moving!

Back in the days of regular IRA bomb threats there was a similar phrase used to warn of suspect packages but I can't remember what the name used in that one was.

london calling
01-07-2019, 20:14
It is the nationally agreed procedure for most public transport and is triggered automatically when a fire alarm is set off to alert staff without alarming passengers. Hopefully someone will investigate and turn the damn thing off as it does automatically go to the Evacuate stage otherwise. If the alarm is in a critical location, like a control room, it will go straight to Evacuate so if you hear that without the Inspector Sands warning first best get moving!

Back in the days of regular IRA bomb threats there was a similar phrase used to warn of suspect packages but I can't remember what the name used in that one was.
Probably "run like fook there is a bomb"

rpadam
01-07-2019, 20:51
If anybody has heard Inspector Sands being called at Euston you will know that you don't need to be asked to leave the building - the recorded message is so damn loud it'll hurt your hearing and/or scramble your brain if you hang around for more than 20 seconds!

Tris39
02-07-2019, 18:19

Probably "run like fook there is a bomb"

I thought they always phoned a 'coded message' to a newspaper.

RealAleRobUK
02-07-2019, 22:24

I don't think there was any suggestion that the IRA went into the station affected and played a warning over the PA system with a mysterious code word.

I'd imagine that once a newspaper, police station or whatever had received a bomb threat using a recognised IRA code word, the venue concerned would be informed pretty quickly in order to allow for a speedy evacuation. I doubt an Inspector Sands (or Inspector Pipe & Nails) message would play, I'd imagine it would go straight to an evacuation procedure. Inspector Sands allows the staff to investigate for a false alarm (burnt toast in the staff room etc) before determining if an evacuation is required. If there was a confirmed bomb threat I don't think the station staff would be expected to investigate, that would be down to the bomb squad.

I have always been curious about what words were chosen for the "recognised IRA code words" that you used to hear about, and whether the code word was changed every so often, and who would communicate such a change. Was there a list of words that they went through on a rotation basis? Perhaps we will never know.

Pangolin
03-07-2019, 00:18

Not for an actual threat but when a 'suspect package' was reported. Mind you, the one occasion I actually reported one, after about 10 minutes a special branch guy appeared, ripped it open, apparently decided it was safe and threw it in a bin! A bit of direct action saved a lot of messing about in those times,

Just don't get me started on the incessantly repeated 'see it, say it, sorted' nonsense we get nowadays...

Aqualung
03-07-2019, 21:53
Just don't get me started on the incessantly repeated 'see it, say it, sorted' nonsense we get nowadays...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that finds this announcement so annoying.

Aqualung
03-07-2019, 22:13
The discussions on the Pub Crawl forum reminded me that apparently Liverpool Street has new EMUs for Norwich & Ipswich. This is another kick in the teeth for the North where Arriva North is still running the pathetic Pacer DMUs which are supposed to be all withdrawn by the end of the year as they don't have an accessible toilet. I recently travelled to Wylam from Newcastle on one and found it totally unacceptable. So what will replace these dinosaur units? It won't be new trains! Some will laughably be replaced with refurbished 40 year old trains from London's District line by a micky mouse outfit called Vivarail. The rest will be replaced by ancient dross cascaded down from new trains on SOME Arriva North faster services. I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.

Wild Rover
03-07-2019, 22:29
Completely agree, last year was an absolute nightmare in the North West i was having to turn up for the train earlier hoping that one out of two might turn up.

oldboots
04-07-2019, 07:27
I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.

1. Who's in government
2. Where are most voters

Pangolin
04-07-2019, 07:54
The discussions on the Pub Crawl forum reminded me that apparently Liverpool Street has new EMUs for Norwich & Ipswich. This is another kick in the teeth for the North where Arriva North is still running the pathetic Pacer DMUs which are supposed to be all withdrawn by the end of the year as they don't have an accessible toilet. I recently travelled to Wylam from Newcastle on one and found it totally unacceptable. So what will replace these dinosaur units? It won't be new trains! Some will laughably be replaced with refurbished 40 year old trains from London's District line by a micky mouse outfit called Vivarail. The rest will be replaced by ancient dross cascaded down from new trains on SOME Arriva North faster services. I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.

Hey, try and keep up mate! The first of Northern's 101 new trains started running this week.

RealAleRobUK
04-07-2019, 08:04
Hey, try and keep up mate! The first of Northern's 101 new trains started running this week.

You beat me to it! We're definitely getting a load of "new new" trains.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/2061-northern-celebrates-official-unveiling-of-500m-new-train-fleet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48770078

I tend to use the Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Oxford Road service which apparently won't be getting the new trains initially so not sure how long it will be before I see one in the wild, but the long overdue retirement of the Pacers can only be a good thing.

It would be interesting to see if some of the grubby passengers will treat the new trains with a bit more respect, or whether they will still be leaving their empty beer cans and bottles on the seats for someone else to clear away.

And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) I predict there will be fewer people than ever commuting long distances on a regular basis as more employers than ever are geared up for flexible and home working.

oldboots
04-07-2019, 09:06
And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) ...

Won't happen, Crossrail 3 or some other South Eastern project will take priority and the dosh, you'll have to wait until London is completely undercut by railway track before the north gets owt and that'll be cast off trains as usual.

Aqualung
04-07-2019, 14:31

I knew they were coming but hadn't realised the first one had arrived. I may have actually seen one at Crewe/.

Aqualung
04-07-2019, 14:45
And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) I predict there will be fewer people than ever commuting long distances on a regular basis as more employers than ever are geared up for flexible and home working.

I've a suspicion this may already be happening. Trains from Euston to Liverpool seem to be little used and most people on the Glasgow trains don't go further than Preston. On the Scotland trains via the W Midlands are quiet after New Street. I heard on the news that Premier Inn business use has reduced. It seems to be easy this year to get advance stays at £30.00 a night.

RealAleRobUK
04-07-2019, 14:57
I've a suspicion this may already be happening. Trains from Euston to Liverpool seem to be little used and most people on the Glasgow trains don't go further than Preston. On the Scotland trains via the W Midlands are quiet after New Street. I heard on the news that Premier Inn business use has reduced. It seems to be easy this year to get advance stays at £30.00 a night.

Hmm, now that is interesting.

london calling
20-08-2019, 21:16
Northern Rail have a flash sale.Tickets from 10p Now.

Pangolin
21-08-2019, 10:42

Is for advance tickets during September - selected journeys and on their own trains only, but a great opportunity. website (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale)

trainman
21-08-2019, 15:22
Is for advance tickets during September - selected journeys and on their own trains only, but a great opportunity. website (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale)

Wow!, checked Manc > Leeds or Sheff, say, 12Sep, and available for 10p e/w. Amazing!
Oh to be oop North...

sheffield hatter
21-08-2019, 22:02

Excllent Thanks for letting us know.

Aqualung
22-08-2019, 11:28
In case you didn't know the Stagecoach run East Midland Trains has been replaced by EMR (East Midland Rail). Before anyone gets excited the new company is run by Abellio, a company proven to be pretty useless at running trains and buses. While they have pledged to increase levels of service they have no plans to replace the ancient HST units in time for the new disability legislation that comes in on 01st Jan 2020. If the Department for Transport weren't just apologists for the failings of the rail industry they would slap a hefty fine on them. On the plus side they have pledged to quickly remove the pathetic 153 class which consist of a single carriage. No doubt their first ptiority will be the fairly pointless application of a new livery. Why these companies are so obsessed with that is beyond me.
On the ticket side, Stagecoach used to charge slightly extra for tickets bought from other TOCs but that seems to be gone now. They have a complete monopoly on services running North of Bedford from St Pancreatitis so the advance fares remain expensive compared to other lines. The cheapest I could see for Oct 26th between Loughborough and London was twelve pound or so with a railcard.

Pangolin
24-08-2019, 18:37
In case you didn't know the Stagecoach run East Midland Trains has been replaced by EMR (East Midland Rail). Before anyone gets excited the new company is run by Abellio, a company proven to be pretty useless at running trains and buses. While they have pledged to increase levels of service they have no plans to replace the ancient HST units in time for the new disability legislation that comes in on 01st Jan 2020. If the Department for Transport weren't just apologists for the failings of the rail industry they would slap a hefty fine on them. On the plus side they have pledged to quickly remove the pathetic 153 class which consist of a single carriage. No doubt their first ptiority will be the fairly pointless application of a new livery. Why these companies are so obsessed with that is beyond me.
On the ticket side, Stagecoach used to charge slightly extra for tickets bought from other TOCs but that seems to be gone now. They have a complete monopoly on services running North of Bedford from St Pancreatitis so the advance fares remain expensive compared to other lines. The cheapest I could see for Oct 26th between Loughborough and London was twelve pound or so with a railcard.

Abellio is of course a subsidiary of Dutch State Railways and, whilst not being an apologist for them, the lack of any decision to replace HSTs is squarely the responsibility of the D(a)fT who cancelled electrification of the route without coming up with an alternative plan.

NickDavies
24-08-2019, 19:06
All I say is that the 40 year old Mk 3 coaches ride as well as ever and if you bag a Chiltern loco-hauled train you get much the same layout with the same comfy seats that match the windows, good mix of tables and face to back, and lots of legroom, as you remember from all those years ago.

I'm a regular passenger and it's very common for people to get on at MYB and ask where the second class is.

Aqualung
25-08-2019, 13:05
All I say is that the 40 year old Mk 3 coaches ride as well as ever and if you bag a Chiltern loco-hauled train you get much the same layout with the same comfy seats that match the windows, good mix of tables and face to back, and lots of legroom, as you remember from all those years ago.

I'm a regular passenger and it's very common for people to get on at MYB and ask where the second class is.

The main problems with the HSTs is the lack of a disabled toilet and the slam doors where you have to open the window to get out. Scotrail have effectively reconstructed some HSTs to address this. the trouble is they've made them too short. The old ones are comfy enough, possibly more comfortable than the newer units.
I was on one of those Chiltern diesel trains a month or two ago and was surprised how effective it was.

oldboots
25-08-2019, 18:13
I was on a Pacer today!@?! Doors didn’t open on all (2 !) cars at two stops, ah life in a northern town.

sheffield hatter
25-08-2019, 20:36
Excellent

... though there was a cock-up with accessing the tickets once purchased. I got an error message from the machine at Sheffield station, saying that "due to a technical issue, the terminal is unable to issue the tickets" and referring me to the train company's website.

When I tried to access help at Northern, I was told that any problems with printing the tickets should be referred to the TOC responsible for the station where the ticket machine was situated.

So back to Sheffield station, where I was eventually informed that the machine couldn't print the tickets because "there's no such fare as 10p". Which raises the questions, 1) why does the machine care what the fare is? (Just print the sodding tickets.), and 2) why didn't Northern know about this before instigating their Flash Sale? and not to mention 3) why is their own website so unhelpful?

So I had to go to the (human) ticket salesperson, who was doubtless delighted to have to print out all my 10p tickets, and I hope East Midlands Railway charged Northern an appropriate fee for the service.

Aqualung
25-08-2019, 20:40
I was on a Pacer today!@?! Doors didn’t open on all (2 !) cars at two stops, ah life in a northern town.

You have my sympathy. they must be the only stock that was worse than the stock they replaced. I wonder if any of the heritage lines will use any of them.

Aqualung
25-08-2019, 20:52
Abellio is of course a subsidiary of Dutch State Railways and, whilst not being an apologist for them, the lack of any decision to replace HSTs is squarely the responsibility of the D(a)fT who cancelled electrification of the route without coming up with an alternative plan.

This is the trouble with rail privatisation. The TOCs are supposedly private companies but are reliant on the government. I'm not proposing the idea that they should run the track maintenance either. Railtrack was a disaster and were only interested in flogging off land.

Aqualung
25-08-2019, 20:59
... though there was a cock-up with accessing the tickets once purchased. I got an error message from the machine at Sheffield station, saying that "due to a technical issue, the terminal is unable to issue the tickets" and referring me to the train company's website.

When I tried to access help at Northern, I was told that any problems with printing the tickets should be referred to the TOC responsible for the station where the ticket machine was situated.

So back to Sheffield station, where I was eventually informed that the machine couldn't print the tickets because "there's no such fare as 10p". Which raises the questions, 1) why does the machine care what the fare is? (Just print the sodding tickets.), and 2) why didn't Northern know about this before instigating their Flash Sale? and not to mention 3) why is their own website so unhelpful?

So I had to go to the (human) ticket salesperson, who was doubtless delighted to have to print out all my 10p tickets, and I hope East Midlands Railway charged Northern an appropriate fee for the service.

I've had loads of grief getting pre-ordered tickets. It's usually been that the ticket machine doesn't recognise the card. I try and avoid it now ordering in advance printed tickets by first class post which TFW Rail do for free. I'm guessing with these 10p tickets you were ordering too late for that option.

oldboots
26-08-2019, 14:10
K

Snap! Exactly the same thing just happened to me at Harrogate, I put it down to it being at bank holiday and likely to be an IT dept thing. I’ll try again and then ask a human hopefully one who works for Northern Fail aka the TOC I bought the bloody things off as they run Harrogate- I say run but they couldn’t run a Tap never mind a whelk stall.

oldboots
26-08-2019, 14:13
You have my sympathy. they must be the only stock that was worse than the stock they replaced. I wonder if any of the heritage lines will use any of them.

I think we all know the answer to that one. I suspect HSE wouldn’t allow them to run anyway.

Aqualung
08-12-2019, 12:19
Virgin Trains are no more. Having given up the ECML franchise and kept out of this franchise due to their involvement with Stagecoach, the fast trains from Euston are now to be run by Avanti West Coast. Avanti is a collusion between First Group and Italian Railways. No doubt their first task will not have anything to do with improving the service but will be plastering the trains with their stupid branding. In a move to increase competition with the hypothetical HS2 (shurely shome mishtake?) Avanti will also be running the trains on this line in the unlikely event that it ever gets completed.
Virgin was the only TOC in which I had any confidence at all, now there are none.

I saw a fair bit of the West Midlands/London North Western trains in the last three days and late running seems to be the norm.

oldboots
08-12-2019, 16:26
Allegedly (BBC website) Virgin (51% Virgin (or the bankers Beardie is in hock to) / 49% Stagecoach (or the disgusting Souter siblings), were disqualified for not complying with pension rules. Beardie and the Souters are suing HMG (us the taxpayers) over it, so the lawyers win and we all lose.

rpadam
08-12-2019, 17:18
Virgin was the only TOC in which I had any confidence at all, now there are none.
What a way to bow out: Virgin Trains' final service from London to Manchester cut short due to a 'fault' (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/virgin-trains-london-manchester-stockport-a4307941.html).

sheffield hatter
08-12-2019, 18:24
No doubt their first task will not have anything to do with improving the service but will be plastering the trains with their stupid branding.

If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways. Then you could vote for them, if only there was a general election any time soon.

Oh, wait a minute...

london calling
08-12-2019, 20:31
What a way to bow out: Virgin Trains' final service from London to Manchester cut short due to a 'fault' (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/virgin-trains-london-manchester-stockport-a4307941.html).
I know someone who was on that train luckily he was going to Stockport where it ended.

rpadam
08-12-2019, 21:39
If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways.
Ah, the nationalised railways - gave us Pacers, 'The Reshaping of British Railways' and the worst tea in Britain, if I recall rightly!

Aqualung
08-12-2019, 21:56
If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways. Then you could vote for them, if only there was a general election any time soon.

Oh, wait a minute...

I actually believe there is a fair amount of public support for taking the railways back into public ownership especially if it's achieved by just letting the existing franchises run out. The trouble is it's just one issue of many. The grief over guards operating the doors on trains is government inspired and the franchises offer little competition with the notable exception of London to Brum. The government don't want any more of this as the HS2 franchise has already been handed to the untested shower taking over from Virgin.

I've already cast my postal vote. I'll be in Wolverhampton on election day!

Pangolin
08-12-2019, 23:24
Trying to remain zipped on this one, but suffice it to say that 80% of problems on the railways are attributable to interference by civil servants and/or politicians, so sadly any further renationalisation could only make this worse.

Detailed explanation would require a long session and numerous pints...

rpadam
09-12-2019, 20:28
Detailed explanation would require a long session and numerous pints...
Sign me up!

london calling
16-12-2019, 20:07
Transport for London have taken over the Paddington to Reading line as of yesterday.From 2nd January you can get free travel to Reading using a Freedom pass for the over sixties.Probably not many on here can make use of this deal but I will be using it. Like Reading a lot and like reading a lot as well.Went down a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest fare from Ealing was about £18.

Aqualung
16-12-2019, 21:41
Transport for London have taken over the Paddington to Reading line as of yesterday.From 2nd January you can get free travel to Reading using a Freedom pass for the over sixties.Probably not many on here can make use of this deal but I will be using it. Like Reading a lot and like reading a lot as well.Went down a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest fare from Ealing was about £18.

I assume this will only apply to the slow trains terminating at Reading. Another handy thing is that you can use the freedom pass on TFL services at any time.
Probably of lesser interest is that Sunday Winter services on the Cambrian Coast line will now be five trains in each direction per day instead of the pathetic and frankly useless one.

Pangolin
17-12-2019, 21:01
I assume this will only apply to the slow trains terminating at Reading.
Indeed, and even then only the TfL Rail ones (the Purple trains) which take 55-58 minutes and only run half-hourly (4 an hour in peak). And perhaps more importantly for those with Freedom passes on the way back, don't have toilets!

I believe that the concession already applies, although general fares will not change until 2 Jan. but it does also include such exciting places as Slough and Maidenhead.

Aqualung
17-12-2019, 22:16
Indeed, and even then only the TfL Rail ones (the Purple trains) which take 55-58 minutes and only run half-hourly (4 an hour in peak). And perhaps more importantly for those with Freedom passes on the way back, don't have toilets!

That's unbelievable! I thought that they will be running the new Crossrail units and if they don't have toilets then that's ridiculous.
The way I read it was that GWR will be running the faster trains to the likes of Oxford. Sadly half of the TFL trains seem to be going to Heathrow. I'm sure I went on one of the new Crossrail trains towards Liverpool Street but can't remember if I noticed a toilet.

oldboots
18-12-2019, 08:54
This is unbelievable for the North,

Aqualung
18-12-2019, 10:46
This is unbelievable for the North,

They're also running direct trains to Lincoln. The fact it's London based means it's more of the same rather than unbelievable.

oldboots
18-12-2019, 11:38
They're also running direct trains to Lincoln. The fact it's London based means it's more of the same rather than unbelievable.

I meant any investment in rolling stock is unbelievable in the land of the Pacer, remember railways in northern England are basically an off-shoot of the NRM, a kind of living railway museum.

Pangolin
18-12-2019, 23:27
That's unbelievable! I thought that they will be running the new Crossrail units and if they don't have toilets then that's ridiculous.
The way I read it was that GWR will be running the faster trains to the likes of Oxford. Sadly half of the TFL trains seem to be going to Heathrow. I'm sure I went on one of the new Crossrail trains towards Liverpool Street but can't remember if I noticed a toilet.

Same trains, although the Liverpool Street ones are shorter until the tunnel opens, and indeed no toilets at all on board. Yet another decision by civil servants I am afraid - the official line is that average journey times will be about 20 minutes, which doesn't help those making longer journeys of up to 102 minutes. GWR run assorted fast and semi-fast services but the TfL ones are more or less all stations.

I meant any investment in rolling stock is unbelievable in the land of the Pacer, remember railways in northern England are basically an off-shoot of the NRM, a kind of living railway museum.

Now, now. Surely you have noticed the complete sh*g up on Northern and Trans-Pennine at present which is largely due to the botched introduction of new trains? Northern are getting 98 new 2-and 3-car trains, while TPE are getting 44 5-car trains. A long and sorry trail of errors, and far from all being the operators' fault, but the new trains are certainly happening. Slowly.

oldboots
19-12-2019, 09:53
Now, now. Surely you have noticed the complete sh*g up on Northern and Trans-Pennine at present which is largely due to the botched introduction of new trains? Northern are getting 98 new 2-and 3-car trains, while TPE are getting 44 5-car trains. A long and sorry trail of errors, and far from all being the operators' fault, but the new trains are certainly happening. Slowly.

Indeed, why only the other day I was on a class 170, a new train, ........well new to the north of England.

I haven't seen any of the rumoured new 195s or 331s on Northern Fail and the TPE Novas are supposedly not due till next year this side of the Pennines. Not holding my breath.

Pangolin
27-12-2019, 22:17
Travelodge are having one of their sales, with 20% off for selected dates/venues for bookings until 01 Jan. The discount code is 2020.

Just grabbed one for £22 !

ROBCamra
30-12-2019, 14:59
Travelodge are having one of their sales, with 20% off for selected dates/venues for bookings until 01 Jan. The discount code is 2020.

Just grabbed one for £22 !

Stayed in Leeds for £20.99 last night.

If you're over 60 and your stay starts on a Sunday then you can get up to 3 nights with 25% off.

Enter OFFPEAK at the checkout. You will need to have a photo id when you check in to the hotel to prove the rate is valid for you.

In Liverpool for £18.74 per night as well!

oldboots
30-12-2019, 21:34

Told you so

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/norths-hated-pacer-trains-become-17484888

Aqualung
30-12-2019, 23:05
Told you so

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/norths-hated-pacer-trains-become-17484888

You did indeed and it's the South Wales valleys as well. I noticed a few at Cardiff in November.

london calling
06-01-2020, 22:45
The Northern Rail 10p ticket sale is back on again.

sheffield hatter
06-01-2020, 23:25

Thanks, John

oldboots
08-01-2020, 11:49

Have you got a link please? I can't find anything on their website.

hondo
08-01-2020, 13:11
Have you got a link please? I can't find anything on their website.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale

oldboots
08-01-2020, 14:16
https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale

Many thanks, just bought a couple.

ROBCamra
08-01-2020, 14:44
Many thanks, just bought a couple.

No doubt on trains that will be cancelled. :evilgrin:

sheffield hatter
08-01-2020, 15:25
No doubt on trains that will be cancelled. :evilgrin:

I hope not, because I've got four days out booked (Lincoln, Lancaster, Settle and Clitheroe) for £4.15! (Had to fork out £3.15 on a leg of one journey with no 10p fare available.)

Mobyduck
08-01-2020, 18:26
And there's me thinking It's Grim Up North. :D

oldboots
08-01-2020, 19:38
And there's me thinking It's Grim Up North. :D

It is, my advice is stop down south in lovely, lovely Basingstoke, that idyllic market town immortalised by Thomas Hardy as "Stoke Barehills", Ah I often regret leaving the place for Yorkshire with its broad vista of flatcaps, whippets and smoking chimneys.

PS I forgot t'consumption, cough.

Mobyduck
08-01-2020, 20:19
It is, my advice is stop down south in lovely, lovely Basingstoke, that idyllic market town immortalised by Thomas Hardy as "Stoke Barehills", Ah I often regret leaving the place for Yorkshire with its broad vista of flatcaps, whippets and smoking chimneys.

PS I forgot t'consumption, cough.

I think your'e lying. ;):D

Bucking Fastard
12-01-2020, 13:30
Looking forward to the Preston crawl,does anyone know how the dynamic pricing works on advanced fares and is there an optimal time to make the purchase ?

It seems to me that when advanced fares are first advertised 3 months in advance,the pricing is very high to catch out anybody who is desperate to secure their travel plans that far in advance,and dynamic pricing doesn't kick in until the train operators are more fully aware of high levels of unsold seats many weeks later.

Any help gratefully received:notworthy:

trainman
12-01-2020, 15:26
Looking for a fare to Leeds 08 Feb, rtn 09Feb, but LNER website still states that they have not yet confirmed timetable, so cannot offer advanced fares - how on earth can they not yet have a timetable for trains leaving less than 4 weeks from now??
The only fare currently visible is £116 rtn!!

rpadam
12-01-2020, 15:45
Looking forward to the Preston crawl,does anyone know how the dynamic pricing works on advanced fares and is there an optimal time to make the purchase ?

It seems to me that when advanced fares are first advertised 3 months in advance,the pricing is very high to catch out anybody who is desperate to secure their travel plans that far in advance,and dynamic pricing doesn't kick in until the train operators are more fully aware of high levels of unsold seats many weeks later.

The dynamic pricing applies from the start of advance ticket sales, and for Avanti West Coast (and LNER) that's not just from four weeks beforehand as you see on National Rail Enquiries (or less, for some weekend journeys potentially affected by amended engineering works) - go to the train company's own website and you can book weekday journeys to/from Preston now at the cheapest rate.

Aqualung
12-01-2020, 15:49
Looking for a fare to Leeds 08 Feb, rtn 09Feb, but LNER website still states that they have not yet confirmed timetable, so cannot offer advanced fares - how on earth can they not yet have a timetable for trains leaving less than 4 weeks from now??
The only fare currently visible is £116 rtn!!
It's probably to do with engineering work. The same happened last year with trains out of Euston and it's worse at weekends. To me it's not worth travelling without the advance tickets.
I couldn't get a train back to Marylebone on the 01st Feb so as I'm starting from Stourbridge I'll get the 16 bus then I've got a £5.60 ticket back to Euston.

Aqualung
12-01-2020, 16:13

You'll be looking to travel on the :30 Scotland trains. I would forget about the 08:30 but you never know. I use TFW rail for advance tickets as they post them to you. There are currently advance tickets for the 03rd April so the 10th should arrive tomorrow and the 17th Monday week. Currently there are no cheap tickets on the fast Scotland trains for the 03rd but there are on the slow ones via Brum.
Your best bet may be the 08:54 Blackpool train which has advance tickets and is only 23 minutes slower than the fast Scotland ones.
My advice to anyone going from Euston is get them on the Monday they go up or make a long weekend of it.

Bucking Fastard
12-01-2020, 21:49
The dynamic pricing applies from the start of advance ticket sales, and for Avanti West Coast (and LNER) that's not just from four weeks beforehand as you see on National Rail Enquiries (or less, for some weekend journeys potentially affected by amended engineering works) - go to the train company's own website and you can book weekday journeys to/from Preston now at the cheapest rate.

Thanks that's really useful :)

Pangolin
12-01-2020, 23:07
In theory advance tickets are sold 12 weeks ahead (when the actual timetable should be finalised allowing for engineering works etc), however with the ongoing disruption to various operators and general Network Rail incompetence not all of them are achieving this at the moment so it can be a bit of pot luck.

There are varying numbers of advance tickets at different price bands for each train; when the cheapest is sold out the next most expensive is offered and so on. Busy trains will have fewer or none of the cheapest tickets. In theory additional cheap rate tickets will automatically be made available if a particular train is not selling well, but the level of demand usually makes this unlikely so it is unwise to expect it.

It is worth checking earlier/later trains if you can be flexible as some will often have cheaper seats than others. Avanti West Coast has a useful Cheapest Fare Finder (https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/ticket-and-discounts/ways-to-save/best-fare-finder) which shows the prices at different times/days if you are very flexible.

It can also be possible to get cheaper rates by splitting the journey into shorter sections, normally staying on the same train. So far as Preston is concerned however, it would usually mean changing at Crewe as through trains would normally be at the same rate. But for example if the Liverpool train still had cheaper seats available, you could book that to Crewe and then a separate Crewe - Preston ticket if that is cheaper than the through fare. You can work it out yourself on the relevant train company websites or there are a number of split fare websites which will do it automatically but charge commission on the saving. Trainline have also just started one but I boycott them as they charge too much for ticket sales! Allow plenty of time for connections though. And it is obviously better to bag the cheap tickets for your actual journey if you can.

hondo
13-01-2020, 10:52
https://media.trainline.com/news-releases/news-release-details/trainline-launches-splitsave

Bucking Fastard
13-01-2020, 12:43
In theory advance tickets are sold 12 weeks ahead (when the actual timetable should be finalised allowing for engineering works etc), however with the ongoing disruption to various operators and general Network Rail incompetence not all of them are achieving this at the moment so it can be a bit of pot luck.

There are varying numbers of advance tickets at different price bands for each train; when the cheapest is sold out the next most expensive is offered and so on. Busy trains will have fewer or none of the cheapest tickets. In theory additional cheap rate tickets will automatically be made available if a particular train is not selling well, but the level of demand usually makes this unlikely so it is unwise to expect it.

It is worth checking earlier/later trains if you can be flexible as some will often have cheaper seats than others. Avanti West Coast has a useful Cheapest Fare Finder (https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/ticket-and-discounts/ways-to-save/best-fare-finder) which shows the prices at different times/days if you are very flexible.

It can also be possible to get cheaper rates by splitting the journey into shorter sections, normally staying on the same train. So far as Preston is concerned however, it would usually mean changing at Crewe as through trains would normally be at the same rate. But for example if the Liverpool train still had cheaper seats available, you could book that to Crewe and then a separate Crewe - Preston ticket if that is cheaper than the through fare. You can work it out yourself on the relevant train company websites or there are a number of split fare websites which will do it automatically but charge commission on the saving. Trainline have also just started one but I boycott them as they charge too much for ticket sales! Allow plenty of time for connections though. And it is obviously better to bag the cheap tickets for your actual journey if you can.

:notworthy:

trainman
13-01-2020, 16:10
Does anyone know how it is possible for LNER to state that they still don't have a confirmed timetable for travel as imminent as Feb? And therefore no advanced ticket price option?
A friend asked about London-Leeds 08-09Feb, but there is still nothing showing for less than £116. Absolutely pathetic.

Aqualung
13-01-2020, 20:11
Does anyone know how it is possible for LNER to state that they still don't have a confirmed timetable for travel as imminent as Feb? And therefore no advanced ticket price option?
A friend asked about London-Leeds 08-09Feb, but there is still nothing showing for less than £116. Absolutely pathetic.

There's a major project to upgrade the lines outside Kings Cross taking place throughout this year. That means weekend trains are either reduced or starting from Peterborough. Even if Network Rail had provided a timetable the chances of cheap advance tickets are slim. There are advance tickets for weekdays but not weekends. TFW Rail shows a Super Off Peak fare for £56 odd without a railcard.
Your friend could go via Sheffield from St Pancras where it may be worth getting two tickets each way but the cheap tickets will be in short supply at this stage. If it's a beer outing my option would be to go somewhere else on a different line!

Pangolin
14-01-2020, 01:33
There's a major project to upgrade the lines outside Kings Cross taking place throughout this year. That means weekend trains are either reduced or starting from Peterborough. Even if Network Rail had provided a timetable the chances of cheap advance tickets are slim. There are advance tickets for weekdays but not weekends. TFW Rail shows a Super Off Peak fare for £56 odd without a railcard.
Your friend could go via Sheffield from St Pancras where it may be worth getting two tickets each way but the cheap tickets will be in short supply at this stage. If it's a beer outing my option would be to go somewhere else on a different line!

^^^What he said!

They are not going to offer cheap fares when they have a severely restricted service - See https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/travelling-later/kings-cross-upgrade/. And as East Midlands Railway have bus replacement on most Sundays, St Pancras is not an option either.

Aqualung
14-01-2020, 07:42
East Midlands Railway have bus replacement on most Sundays, St Pancras is not an option either.

I didn't know about that as I never travel on a Sunday. The whole thing is looking too expensive and slow.

trainman
14-01-2020, 11:42
A bad weekend to pick, but the message regarding absence of timetable is just a red-herring, there are trains listed.
There is an option via Doncaster that would be ~£55, or £84 via Manchester, but I think he may just bite the bullet, esp if travelling with family - have advised to get a two-together if that;s the case, will pay for itself twice in one trip at those scandalous prices...

Pubsignman
14-01-2020, 13:50
I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now. Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?

Aqualung
14-01-2020, 22:38
Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?

I'm not qualified to answer this but I would imagine the answer is Yes. I'm guessing that the upgrade work is mainly signalling but even as it moves North it will still affect services. I'm not planning any weekend journeys to or from the Cross this year.

Pangolin
15-01-2020, 12:07
I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now. Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?

The major Kings Cross work should finish by the end of February, then it will settle down a bit. September and next winter don't look good though. https://eastcoastupgrade.co.uk/the-programme/.

The St Pancras route has a lot of work going on for much of the year with new tracks and electrification but the extent and location of disruption varies each weekend - see https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/timetables-updates/changes-to-train-times

sheffield hatter
15-01-2020, 13:23
I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now.

You can get to Sheffield from Euston via Milton Keynes, Tamworth and Derby. Only if your team really needs your support, though.

Pubsignman
15-01-2020, 15:14
Cheers for the info - they need all the support they can get right now, but that's not going to be from me at those prices!

Pangolin
16-01-2020, 11:07
You can get to Sheffield from Euston via Milton Keynes, Tamworth and Derby. Only if your team really needs your support, though.

Not recommended - The 4 coach CrossCountry train from Tamworth was so full it was leaving people behind last weekend!!

Pangolin
16-01-2020, 23:13
Some good news for a change - Great Western Railway has a sale on for the next 9 days for travel up to 3 April.
https://www.gwr.com/sale

trainman
17-01-2020, 15:52
I did find advance tickets in the end, despite missing the notification alert from LNER which went into spam box, so hopefully he got the ~£47 rtn in the end, still not cheap but a lot better!

Also shame the very rare EMR offer was so short-lived, and seemingly a one-off code per receiving customer - still, got a jaunt back to the once-visited Loughborough for £15rtn

hondo
29-01-2020, 12:42
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51298820

oldboots
29-01-2020, 19:09
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51298820

Here's their mailout to their poor customers:

"We can confirm that today the Secretary of State has announced that the operation of all Northern services will transfer from Arriva Rail North to Northern Trains Limited, a subsidiary of the Department of Transport’s Operator of Last Resort Holdings Limited (DOHL).

Following this announcement, we would like to confirm that Northern services will not be affected and tickets will remain valid.

All Arriva Rail North passengers can also expect operations to continue as usual, during the transfer period.

For further information about the transfer, please refer to the website available on the link below.
Find out more (https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/future-of-the-northern-franchise?utm_campaign=jn0027olr&utm_medium=email&utm_source=crm-&utm_content=cta&utm_term)"

A friend of mine is a driver for Northern, hopefully his job is safe, no doubt the bigwigs in Deutsche Bahn who ran this apology for a railway are very safe in their jobs. Efficiency in the private sector? German efficency? More Tory balls than you can shake a stick at.

rpadam
29-01-2020, 21:41
All Arriva Rail North passengers can also expect operations to continue as usual, during the transfer period.
Good to see that the press office kept their sense of humour until the end!

Aqualung
08-02-2020, 21:11
Is anyone planning to travel tomorrow? Perversely it was a Spring day in London earlier.

oldboots
26-02-2020, 09:04
For anyone up north, TPE have a £1 sale on advance tickets,

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/sale?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=CRMNewsFebruary20_1Sale&utm_content=BookNow

Brainypool
26-02-2020, 23:34
Excellent, thanks for that. Booked York and Newcastle once I finally got through to the booking site- it was down for hours this evening due to the overcapacity.

trainman
18-03-2020, 10:45
I imagine that most trains are running pretty empty at the moment, but a look at a variety of dates does not show any fare reductions. Perhaps operators would be lambasted for encouraging people to travel..?
I may have struggled to resist a jaunt to, say, Derby, for a fiver or so...

RealAleRobUK
18-03-2020, 21:16
I imagine that most trains are running pretty empty at the moment, but a look at a variety of dates does not show any fare reductions. Perhaps operators would be lambasted for encouraging people to travel..?
I may have struggled to resist a jaunt to, say, Derby, for a fiver or so...

I'd imagine that train operators would be more likely to reduce the number of services they run or to reduce the number of carriages per train while fewer people are travelling.

I was on several trains yesterday and they were all emptier than I would have expected. On one I was the only person in the carriage.

rpadam
18-03-2020, 21:33
I'd imagine that train operators would be more likely to reduce the number of services they run or to reduce the number of carriages per train while fewer people are travelling.
From the news today, it looks like we are heading towards a Sunday service throughout the week.

RealAleRobUK
18-03-2020, 21:48
From the news today, it looks like we are heading towards a Sunday service throughout the week.

So Northern won't be running any trains at all then?

Pangolin
27-06-2020, 12:03
Too early for any rail company offers yet, while the government is still forcing them to do everything they can to deter people actually travelling, however Travelodge have just unleashed "a million rooms" from £29. This runs through to 31 Dec so there might even be some pubs open by then!

I have just nabbed a weekend in York for £60 (not primarily beer-related).

trainman
23-07-2020, 19:56
Does anyone know whether the lack of train schedules/options, even in next 3 weeks (rather than 90-day searches) is due to lack of availability for Covid spacing, or rail companies not having websites properly working?
I want to get to Nottingham/Beeston 14-16 Aug (TL accom offer!) but the return, especially, is proving very difficult... thanks, j

ps. there do also seem to be very few direct trains, and then very slow, but no options to book the quicker change lines via Grantham...

oldboots
24-07-2020, 07:49
Does anyone know whether the lack of train schedules/options, even in next 3 weeks (rather than 90-day searches) is due to lack of availability for Covid spacing, or rail companies not having websites properly working?
I want to get to Nottingham/Beeston 14-16 Aug (TL accom offer!) but the return, especially, is proving very difficult... thanks, j

ps. there do also seem to be very few direct trains, and then very slow, but no options to book the quicker change lines via Grantham...

National Rail enquires is working - https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/KGX/NOT/140820/0900/dep/160820/1100/dep

trainman
24-07-2020, 15:59
Thanks ob, I only use that to check times, not make bookings, but it had options that southern or thetrainline did not. Back via Newark for £21 each, gambling on getting 3 via megatrain for outbound, heaven knows when those will become available... cheers, j

sheffield hatter
20-08-2021, 21:36
There's a sale on at LNER (https://www.lner.co.uk/seat-sale) for travel on their trains between 6 September and 15 October - tickets must be booked before 1 September. (I got tickets from Sheffield to London and back for £19.25, but if your journey is solely on LNER trains there are some fares even cheaper. Book split tickets, e.g. I did Sheffield to Doncaster, which is TPE or Northern, then Doncaster to Kings Cross on LNER.)

Quinno
22-08-2021, 16:13
There's a sale on at LNER (https://www.lner.co.uk/seat-sale) for travel on their trains between 6 September and 15 October - tickets must be booked before 1 September. (I got tickets from Sheffield to London and back for £19.25, but if your journey is solely on LNER trains there are some fares even cheaper. Book split tickets, e.g. I did Sheffield to Doncaster, which is TPE or Northern, then Doncaster to Kings Cross on LNER.)

That's a trip up to Berwick on Tweed for £40 secured :)

Might try Keighley as well if I can find somewhere to stay that isn't extortionate...

Brainypool
24-08-2021, 18:48
Northern Rail's £1 flash sale is back - https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale

ROBCamra
25-08-2021, 08:57
Northern Rail's £1 flash sale is back - https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale

It is, but the website first crashed and then timed out yesterday when I was trying to use it. :(

Brainypool
25-08-2021, 12:03
It is, but the website first crashed and then timed out yesterday when I was trying to use it. :(

I had the same issue, but was able to book tickets on the app with no problems.

trainman
11-10-2021, 17:57
https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/catch-our-new-autumn-hare-fares-now

Norwich now even cheaper than a (snr) discounted tenner ew, £5ew East Anglia offer above...

hondo
19-04-2022, 06:29
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-one-million-half-price-rail-tickets-in-first-ever-great-british-rail-sale

trainman
04-08-2022, 09:01
EMR offers are quite rare, £20rtn
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/summer-sale

trainman
28-12-2022, 10:35
Appeal to those in the know in 'GOC' - does the 'West Yorkshire Rover' still exist?
As far as I can see it's a great value hop on hop off ticket but I think only available for purchase once within the GOC region?
Last I could see (an online post dated Feb2021, not here) was ~£10 for the day, or even cheaper for groups of 5...

Many thanks, jim

Quinno
28-12-2022, 13:34
Appeal to those in the know in 'GOC' - does the 'West Yorkshire Rover' still exist?
As far as I can see it's a great value hop on hop off ticket but I think only available for purchase once within the GOC region?
Last I could see (an online post dated Feb2021, not here) was ~£10 for the day, or even cheaper for groups of 5...

Many thanks, jim

According to National Rail Enquiries, yes

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/archive/NFM28/times_fares/prb3f085e093421db9efb81c011cf83f.html

trainman
28-12-2022, 14:04
According to National Rail Enquiries, yes

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/archive/NFM28/times_fares/prb3f085e093421db9efb81c011cf83f.html
Thanks Quinno, though that link was to 2018 - just trying to establish that it does still exist before saying to a larger group that that's the way to go! Cheers!

aleandhearty
28-12-2022, 14:40

Many thanks, jim

I think if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you might find it helpful:

https://ticketsandpasses.wymetro.com/day-weekend-family-or-group-tickets/day-weekend-family-or-group-ticket-prices/

london calling
10-01-2023, 21:30
East Midlands are doing a £20 return to and from London special offer .on now
Northern rail have released 5 million tickets at 50p - £ £1.50 in a flash sale starting today.cheers

Pangolin
13-01-2023, 10:14
The Northern sale (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/offers/sale) mentioned above ends today

Pangolin
14-01-2023, 16:38
Great Western also have a sale on until 17 Jan, for travel up to 31 March

sheffield hatter
14-01-2023, 18:25

I think if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you might find it helpful:

https://ticketsandpasses.wymetro.com/day-weekend-family-or-group-tickets/day-weekend-family-or-group-ticket-prices/

Yes, I see what you mean, but it's not entirely clear.

"WY DaySaver Train
Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office

Concessionary Train DaySaver
Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office"

Does this mean we can call in at any railway station anywhere and ask for a WY Train DaySaver (or concessionary equivalent), or do we have to be in Yorkshire, or more specifically in West Yorkshire?

So for example, I can get 50% off train travel in South Yorkshire because my concessionary travel card is issued by an authority within South Yorkshire. But if I want to get a West Yorkshire Concessionary Train DaySaver do I have to get off a train at Wakefield Westgate and buy one there, or can I ask for it at Sheffield station? And does Jim, as a non-Yorkshireman, have to do the same or can he request it at his local station in Heathenland?*

It would be so much easier if all public transport was free to anyone anywhere! These "special tickets" seem to be deliberately complicated in an effort to put people off asking for them...

Pangolin
15-01-2023, 11:47
Yes, I see what you mean, but it's not entirely clear.

"WY DaySaver Train
Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office

Concessionary Train DaySaver
Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office"

Does this mean we can call in at any railway station anywhere and ask for a WY Train DaySaver (or concessionary equivalent), or do we have to be in Yorkshire, or more specifically in West Yorkshire?

Their website is not written at all well, but if you dig far enough, this is hidden in the FAQs:

Buy your ticket from a ticket machine at these West Yorkshire rail stations:
Leeds, Batley, Burley Park, Crossgates, East Garforth, Garforth, Headingley, Horsforth, New Pudsey, Woodlesford, Apperley Bridge, Bingley, Bradford F Square, Bradford Int, Burley in Wharfedale, Castleford, Crossflats, Frizinghall, Guiseley, Menston, Normanton, Saltaire, Sandal & Agbrigg, Shipley, Wakefield Kirkgate, Ben Rhydding, Fitzwilliam, Halifax, Ilkley, Keighley, Hebden Bridge, Moorthorpe, Mytholmroyd, Slaithwaite, South Elmsall, Sowerby Bridge, Steeton & Silsden, Todmorden
(Bus stations, newsagents etc listed also)

You can of course use their mobile app, if you are prepared to have loads of similar cluttering up your phone.

sheffield hatter
15-01-2023, 12:09
Their website is not written at all well, but if you dig far enough, this is hidden in the FAQs:

Buy your ticket from a ticket machine at these West Yorkshire rail stations:
Leeds, Batley, Burley Park, Crossgates, East Garforth, Garforth, Headingley, Horsforth, New Pudsey, Woodlesford, Apperley Bridge, Bingley, Bradford F Square, Bradford Int, Burley in Wharfedale, Castleford, Crossflats, Frizinghall, Guiseley, Menston, Normanton, Saltaire, Sandal & Agbrigg, Shipley, Wakefield Kirkgate, Ben Rhydding, Fitzwilliam, Halifax, Ilkley, Keighley, Hebden Bridge, Moorthorpe, Mytholmroyd, Slaithwaite, South Elmsall, Sowerby Bridge, Steeton & Silsden, Todmorden

Thanks for doing the digging!

So if I wanted to get a concessionary WY Train Day Saver I'd have to get a Northern train to Moorthorpe (the station on the border between South and West Yorkshire), get off and go to the ticket machine and search for the appropriate ticket. Meanwhile, of course, the train will have departed without me. Only then will I realise that the ticket machine is out of order and I'll have to wait for the next train (an hour later) still with no WY Train Day Saver in my wallet.

And they wonder why people prefer to go by car.

trainman
15-01-2023, 21:04
Yes, the WY saver is odd that you have to be already within the region to buy it but, once there, is very handy and the groupsave especially good value at £25.10 for five people for the day!
For info we successfully managed Wakefield, Ossett, Dewsbury, Huddersfield, Halifax, Leeds (on Saturday) and a few pubs in Sheffield today for the Sunday debrief.
Great to have aleandhearty tag along for a few of the early visits around his region!
Right, I'm off to bed for a week...

trainman
22-01-2023, 21:49
Made a mistake booking London-Derby 25Jan when we have folk coming round for haggis (I know, burns hated us, but i like the stuff, esp with my port-y-fied gravy)
So, if anyone can use 11:02 outbound, 19:09rtn, pm me and i'll send a snip of the e-tkts/qr codes, free to trusted members here...

london calling
22-01-2023, 22:52
Made a mistake booking London-Derby 25Jan when we have folk coming round for haggis (I know, burns hated us, but i like the stuff, esp with my port-y-fied gravy)
So, if anyone can use 11:02 outbound, 19:09rtn, pm me and i'll send a snip of the e-tkts/qr codes, free to trusted members here...

Give one of your guests the ticket and I will come around for the haggis .cheers jock

Tris39
23-01-2023, 17:51

I like it with a shot of scotch tossed on.

Pangolin
26-01-2023, 20:30
Chiltern Railways (https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/) have a half price offer on selected advance tickets for travel up to 14 March - book by 6 Feb. A cheap way of getting from London to Oxford or Birmingham and vv.

Quinno
17-05-2023, 09:19
Not trains, but buses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65616182

The £2 cap on bus fares in England has been extended again until the end of October, the government has announced.

The cap, which applies to more than 130 bus operators outside of London, will then rise in November to £2.50 for 12 months, before prices are reviewed.

That will inform my summer plans! Ideal time to get out to some sticks pubs I usually wouldn't do on a day out.

Mobyduck
17-05-2023, 10:35
This is worrying.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/tfl-looking-at-scrapping-the-day-travelcard-62040/

sheffield hatter
17-05-2023, 12:33
The £2 cap on bus fares in England has been extended again until the end of October, the government has announced.

That will inform my summer plans! Ideal time to get out to some sticks pubs I usually wouldn't do on a day out.

This is good news, but if you're planning on getting out to some country pubs, you might still do better to get an all day ticket, as these will often provide a saving if you take more than three or four buses.

Quinno
17-05-2023, 19:47
This is worrying.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/tfl-looking-at-scrapping-the-day-travelcard-62040/

Subsidising that there London, again.

Pangolin
17-05-2023, 23:05
This is worrying.

For once a fairly accurate article - daily travel in an around London not greatly affected as daily cap cheaper anyway, but through rail journeys from outside Greater London become more awkward/expensive, especially where evening peak restrictions apply. Not yet clear how train operators (ie DfT) will respond - also Overground/Elizabeth Line not generally affected.

rpadam
19-05-2023, 09:25
Subsidising that there London, again.
I stopped using travelcards some time ago - they used to offer great value if you were making more than a couple of journeys in London during the day, but now it's usually cheaper to get a standard train ticket into town then use Oyster or a contactless card with the daily pay-as-you-go cap.

Pangolin
05-01-2024, 08:01
First of the "New Year Sales" on Great Western (https://www.gwr.com/) - book by 10 Jan for travel up to 26 April.

Northern (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/offers/sale) as well - travel from £1 (if you can find one)

sheffield hatter
05-01-2024, 11:05
Northern (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/offers/sale) as well - travel from £1 (if you can find one)

There's a very helpful Find low-cost train tickets feature, where you can input your start and finish stations (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/offers/sale), which gives a calendar showing the days when a £1 fare is available between them.

Pangolin
23-01-2024, 23:07
Has everyone who might be interested picked up on this year's Great British Rail Sale (https://greatbritishrailsale.nationalrail.co.uk/#/great-british-rail-sale)? Purchase by 29 Jan, or when the discounted quota runs out, for travel by 15 March.

Mobyduck
24-01-2024, 19:40
Has everyone who might be interested picked up on this year's Great British Rail Sale (https://greatbritishrailsale.nationalrail.co.uk/#/great-british-rail-sale)? Purchase by 29 Jan, or when the discounted quota runs out, for travel by 15 March.

Of the two or three locations I tried, a regular ticket split site still works out a fair bit cheaper on a day return.

Quinno
25-01-2024, 14:32

Is there actually a way to find where these supposed cheap tickets are? Because at the moment it looks like a shop saying there's a sale and then hiding the reduced items in the warehouse.

Mobyduck
25-01-2024, 19:27
Is there actually a way to find where these supposed cheap tickets are? Because at the moment it looks like a shop saying there's a sale and then hiding the reduced items in the warehouse.

Select your travel from station (Reading) , won't do Hook for me so Basingstoke in my case then travel to is best to select the inspire me tab and go through the A-Z or else it's needle in a haystack time. All single fares as far as I can see.

Pangolin
25-01-2024, 21:54
Of the two or three locations I tried, a regular ticket split site still works out a fair bit cheaper on a day return.

Just looked at one of them (Trainsplit) and it clearly showed when a split ticket was (marginally) cheaper and when the sale tickets were cheaper. But the overall effect was a much greater choice of trains with a reduced fare. Note though that railcards are not valid in the sale, which makes them relatively pricier for those who have one,

Pangolin
25-01-2024, 21:56

Just put in the departure point and leave the destination vacant and it will offer a selection of places. Now whether there are any available at the time you want to travel is another thing entirely!

Mobyduck
26-01-2024, 05:29
Note though that railcards are not valid in the sale, which makes them relatively pricier for those who have one,
Ah yes, that's the difference.