PDA

View Full Version : Warrington

ukdrifter
03-10-2007, 16:45
Anyone know the name of the original name of "The Penketh Friar", I seem to recall it has the something " House" in the 1950/60's.:confused:

sizzle
07-10-2009, 22:52
I have just posted a question, if your local to Warrington maybe you may have the answer?
The name of a pub in warrington somewhere, the landlord is called chris and he's fifty!

arwkrite
08-10-2009, 09:27
Welcome both ,I hope you get your wishes.
UKDrifter,Not being local to Warrington I did a fair bit of Googling. The only similar named pub in the area was a Wetherspoons " Friar Penketh" at 4, Barbauld Street, Warrington.. This was a completely new build for Wetherspoons in 2002. Apart from the remains of a medieval priory on site I have not discovered what sort of building, if any,occupied the ground before the present one. Is this the pub that you mean ?

Sizzle ,I think you may have to strike very lucky to get your wish.

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 13:06
Hi Uk

I dropped an email to my colleagues at the Warrington History Library - this is what i got back....

A colleague in the Museum confirms that this was once the back of the Warrington Co-Op furniture store, which was destroyed in a fire, and that the land had laid derelict for years before the Friar Penketh was built.

Hope that helps

Dave M
08-10-2009, 13:29
I have just posted a question, if your local to Warrington maybe you may have the answer?
The name of a pub in warrington somewhere, the landlord is called chris and he's fifty!

There are places where you may be able to track down some information. Warrington Council may have their register of licensees available online. That may help.

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 16:27
i have just realised that UKdrifter posted his message 2 years ago - like he will read my reply!:rolleyes:

Conrad
08-10-2009, 17:45
Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see that message resurrected. Someone was recently suggesting to me that I should delete old messages, they may have a point ;).

ukdrifter
10-10-2009, 00:13

The pub in question was the "old house at home" bye