PDA

View Full Version : Compass Points

Al 10000
01-02-2016, 17:57
I know i have added compass [point to certain cities and towns that i know very well,i did not see any problem with them sitting next to the area that the pub was in,but certain members who have more power that me have decided to delete these,i will say yet again what harm were they doing.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back after coming home from work and sorting my wife out who has had an operation i find mass deletions of compass points in my home city.

After having a chat with my wife i will pull all photos in the Greater Nottingham area over the weekend,i know this is a drastic action to take but i am now almost done with the site,all i have ever tried to do since i joined it was to give other members help if needed.

trainman
01-02-2016, 19:23
Hallelujah. Sounds like you have other stuff you should be prioritising anyway.

Bucking Fastard
01-02-2016, 19:57
Alan,maybe the question that you should be asking is ,besides yourself ,who else finds these compass point additions to the "served areas" helpful to what is IMHO an excellent website.

From my point of view they add very little ,however it is worth finding out if this is a minority or majority view.

Alan ,you have contributed a vast amount to this site but is it really worth getting upset by an issue that could possibly be described as marginal.

sheffield hatter
02-02-2016, 09:23
Considering that it's the home county of one of our most prolific photographers, Nottinghamshire is quite low on the list (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/photos-counties.php) with 89.6% of pubs photographed. I note that there are approx.45 pubs in Nottingham postal district (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/townsp/nottingham/nottinghamshire/) that do not have photos. Presumably this will rise next weekend when Al starts to do the promised deletions. As a keen photographer from a neighbouring county, this gives me more incentive to get down there and do some photography.

As far as I can see, the areas Nottingham North, South, East and West still exist. They have respectively 16, 14, 23 and 36 pubs in them. (Nottingham Central has 120.) I know it can be frustrating when an idea that you have is rejected by others. My solution would be to try harder to persuade people of the merits of my idea, failing which I would shrug my shoulders and move on. Previous threads suggest that there is not much support for Al's compass point areas - I for one see no harm in them and wouldn't waste my time going round deleting pubs from them.

From most people's viewpoint, I reckon this is a marginal issue, as BF says, and I think it would be a shame if Al were to carry out his threat of deleting his Nottingham photos.

Farway
02-02-2016, 12:44
Like Al I also have had local area names deleted and anytown central etc substituted, without any notice, just job done

I did have a spell of returning to correct local area name, but in the end just gave up and decided if Big brother want to use anytown west for instance, despite being testicles to locals, go ahead

I realise how frustrating this can be to Al, and really cannot see why two locations cannot be used for same pub, like this Spice Island Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13620/)

I leave my photos up though

Al 10000
02-02-2016, 17:12
Hallelujah. Sounds like you have other stuff you should be prioritising anyway.

So that is all you think of me after doing over 5000 reviews in 5 years on the site and adding even more photos,
thanks for nothing MATE.

Al 10000
02-02-2016, 17:39
Considering that it's the home county of one of our most prolific photographers, Nottinghamshire is quite low on the list (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/photos-counties.php) with 89.6% of pubs photographed. I note that there are approx.45 pubs in Nottingham postal district (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/townsp/nottingham/nottinghamshire/) that do not have photos. Presumably this will rise next weekend when Al starts to do the promised deletions. As a keen photographer from a neighbouring county, this gives me more incentive to get down there and do some photography.

As far as I can see, the areas Nottingham North, South, East and West still exist. They have respectively 16, 14, 23 and 36 pubs in them. (Nottingham Central has 120.) I know it can be frustrating when an idea that you have is rejected by others. My solution would be to try harder to persuade people of the merits of my idea, failing which I would shrug my shoulders and move on. Previous threads suggest that there is not much support for Al's compass point areas - I for one see no harm in them and wouldn't waste my time going round deleting pubs from them.

From most people's viewpoint, I reckon this is a marginal issue, as BF says, and I think it would be a shame if Al were to carry out his threat of deleting his Nottingham photos.

I have 12 photos on that list of pubs not photographed in the Nottingham postal district,there are a few new openings and some to the North that are still open,i wish you luck with the rest,they have either been pulled down or converted into other use,if you want more information about pubs in Nottingham ask Big Brother, i am sure he knows far more about the city than i do.

rpadam
02-02-2016, 18:30
Like Al I also have had local area names deleted and anytown central etc substituted, without any notice, just job done

I did have a spell of returning to correct local area name, but in the end just gave up and decided if Big brother want to use anytown west for instance, despite being testicles to locals, go ahead.
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I think that this is the opposite point to that tabled by Al?

bcfczuluarmy
02-02-2016, 19:40
Could the issue about not getting alerted be down to not following the whole postal area before going down to the next level then adopting follow pubs?

I got Swindon replan of areas this way so not sure why Al isn't getting updates if perceived "big brother" is stripping compass points where Al had added them.

After meeting Al I can understand fully his method and reasoning behind them and potentially have a different outlook to them in places of a certain size to assist unfamiliar drinkers. It's actually the areas that weren't assigned in Swindon that i assigned which also subsequently got changed to different locations that ticked me off slightly.

Be interesting to see if RobCamra has a comment.....

It will be a loss to the site if Al does go through with removing pictures especially for the lost pubs as mentioned on his blog there is something of an air of reminiscent looking back at old cars and general old views that his pictures show.

Al 10000
04-02-2016, 16:27
One last word on this subject,
I will say for the last time what is wrong with having two small words on a pubs page next to the area the pub is actually in like Sneinton / Nottinghham East,big brother has deleted most compass point which renders the rest of them useless,he has also now started adding pubs in Nottingham city centre to Nottingham West along with Canning Circus,so we now have three lots of words on the pubs page example here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but pubs in Wolloton which is a long standing suburb about two miles to the West of the City Centre is not allowed to have Nottingham West on its pub page,why is this.

I sent Dave a PM yesterday asking him to delete all compass points off the site as it is wasting my time and a admins time to re add them and then big brother to delete them the second they are approved.
If he wanted to demorlise me then he has succeeded.
Please take time to read this and try and think what he is doing,it does not make any sense to me, the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to get at me for some reason.
Dave has not replied to PM yet.

Mobyduck
04-02-2016, 19:22
I will say for the last time what is wrong with having two small words on a pubs page next to the area the pub is actually in like Sneinton / Nottinghham East,big brother has deleted most compass point which renders the rest of them useless,he has also now started adding pubs in Nottingham city centre to Nottingham West along with Canning Circus,so we now have three lots of words on the pubs page example here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but pubs in Wolloton which is a long standing suburb about two miles to the West of the City Centre is not allowed to have Nottingham West on its pub page,why is this.

I sent Dave a PM yesterday asking him to delete all compass points off the site as it is wasting my time and a admins time to re add them and then big brother to delete them the second they are approved.
Please take time to read this and try and think what he is doing,it does not make any sense to me, the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to get at me for some reason.

Al the pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but) you have used as an example has Nottingham west along with Nottingham Central and Canning Circus, am I missing something here? I am struggling to understand this whole debate.

Delboy20
04-02-2016, 19:26
I have read these threads with only a passing interest to be honest. Compass points mean little to me personally but i see no harm in them being listed if other members find them of use. I would think that someone local to an area is best placed to decide where a pub sits in that area - just my opinion !

I have just had a look at the page updates for the pub in Al's message and i have to say it is ridiculous. Beyond a joke to be fair - a long list of add / remove to areas. Who is approving all of them ?

I use this site because i love pubs - simple as that.

Al, I for one would like to say that any contribution is welcome and it would be a great shame if you delete all of your photographs. You have put in a lot of effort contributing to the site ( a lot more effort than I do ! ) and I would think that most active members don't want to see photographs lost.

Just my opinions ....

Cheers,

Del.

Mobyduck
04-02-2016, 19:38
Having just seen Delboys post and having looked at the pub updates, I have to agree its beyond a joke and quite frankly beyond me. I'm out of my depth and out of this discussion.

AlanH
04-02-2016, 23:28

This has taken a new twist. The pub(s) in question being 9 minutes walk from the town, I would consider central but I can't see any problem with Nottingham West being added as well as Nottingham Central (this tells you its location - handy for the centre but a short walk away).

The thing I can't understand is why someone totally against compass points has started adding them whilst deleting most of the others that are a little further out of the centre. Most people agree that they are doing no harm even if they don't use them themselves. They are more handy to people who don't know an area.
I ignore them in Manchester as I know all the areas very well, but looking at a town like Bristol (for example), there are about 200 areas under one title (Bristol Postal District) with many of the areas having just one or two pubs in them. Often such small areas are hard to find even on an Ordnance survey map and it's hard to tell which are close to each other. Compass points are not perfect as places can still be far apart - But it gives you 4 times the chance!!

I agree with Moby about taking maps if you plan to visit an area, but no use if you end up in a place without planning in advance (or if you havn't got a printer!)

bcfczuluarmy
04-02-2016, 23:54
The "City and County of Bristol" rather than a "town"... is an anomaly in the UK on this website as it has reverted to City and County status post Avon dissolvement after the creation of other counties like Cleveland etc under the local government reforms in the 1970's so suspect the postal element has overtook the physicality of Bristol as a City,

The postal area includes a fair few areas beyond the city boundaries that you couldn't/wouldn't never class as Bristol but still fall under it postal wise, hence the low numbers in these areas as the pubs are affiliated to the villages they serve rather than mass city suburbs, given my OCD I'm happy generally with how they all sit so don't let RobCamra start meddling....

For example you will end up in the small Somerset town Blackthorn lives in that is still classed as Bristol on here but also falls under Somerset if you viewed Somerset County. If you tried to class Backwell as Bristol South for example you would be laughed out of any pub in Backwell or South Bristol as it purely isn't in Bristol that's why Dave has built in the fact that many of the adjoining villages beyond Bristol City boundaries and in many other counties should appear in the correct county locations but are also classed under postal locations. I've found this recently around the area East of Swindon which has seen me stray into Oxfordshire without knowing it.

Re Nottingham and Al's example I'd like to see any of us cover 2 miles in 9 minutes, according to John Mcgraw's review, and still think we are in a central location as it clearly isn't in any "town" or "city" but a neighbouring suburb location.

hondo
05-02-2016, 09:42
:pray: :whistle: "Sing with me my song of peace" :whistle: :pray:

http://youtu.be/Ctu_TKV12LY

Aqualung
05-02-2016, 11:41
The "City and County of Bristol" rather than a "town"... is an anomaly in the UK on this website as it has reverted to City and County status post Avon dissolvement after the creation of other counties like Cleveland etc under the local government reforms in the 1970's so suspect the postal element has overtook the physicality of Bristol as a City,

I suspected that was the case when I took a quick look at Bristol the other day. Wales is a problem area with Dyfed disappearing, the three Glamorgans merged into one and Gwynedd remaining only as what looks like the old Meirionnydd to me. That bloke who does the JDW list got round it by saying this :-

sorry, no complaints please about the county names, they are the ones I know!

Can't argue with that!

AlanH
05-02-2016, 12:34
Wales is a problem area with Dyfed disappearing, the three Glamorgans merged into one and Gwynedd remaining only as what looks like the old Meirionnydd to me.

Wales is a total shambles. They change County names and areas quicker than some pubs will change your beer! A guy in my local said he used to live in Denbighshire, then he lived in Clwyd and now he lives in Wrexham "And I still live in the same house!!"

The Post Office don't help. Some pubs 30 miles into Wales have English (Shropshire) addresses and some Shropshire pubs have Welsh (Wrexham) addresses.

Camra form their own Welsh "counties" like North-East Wales and North-West Wales!

Slightly off the compass point but it's all about trying to find where we are (even when sober!).

AlanH
05-02-2016, 14:06
Re Nottingham and Al's example I'd like to see any of us cover 2 miles in 9 minutes, according to John Mcgraw's review, and still think we are in a central location as it clearly isn't in any "town" or "city" but a neighbouring suburb location.

The 9 minutes is how long it takes Google to walk the 0.6 miles from Al's example to Nottingham centre (he must be a bit tired as it took him 11 minutes today! :D:D)
The 2 miles is when Al refers to the suburb of Wolloton (actually 2.9 miles to the nearest pub!)

I will now ask Scotty to beam me up to another thread before I win another Geek badge!