PDA

View Full Version : Eccles Pubs

AlanH
31-12-2015, 13:41
I am mystified why Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses are continually being removed as being part of or serving Eccles! We have just been through a long debate where pubs can be associated with several areas. The famous crawls such as the old 13 Holts crawl have always been known as Eccles crawls. The History of Eccles Pubs by the late Neil Richardson has always included the Eccles areas of Patricroft and Peel Green.
What is wrong with a pub being listed as serving Patricroft and Eccles. I see the White Lion is "allowed" to have both titles. Is this where the legs get tired and you can't go any further?! Would it be better to put them in a larger area called Salford West? :evilgrin:

ROBCamra
31-12-2015, 14:04
Eccles and Patricroft are separate places. They have a railway station EACH. If you get off at Eccles it will take a hell of a long walk to get to Queens Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60657/)
which is outside Patricroft station.

The Star (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26255/) and The White Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72009/) are on the Eccles/Patricroft borderline hence both areas. Sorry for being logical on this point.

Putting a pub, which is near enough on the platform at Patricroft station, in Eccles is at best misleading and at worst ( enter own expletive here).

Neil Richardson had to fill his book somehow and there weren't enough pubs in Eccles to do it. It was never intended to be a geographic guide!!

AlanH
31-12-2015, 14:32
Eccles and Patricroft are separate places. They have a railway station EACH. If you get off at Eccles it will take a hell of a long walk to get to Queens Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60657/)

The Star (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26255/) and The White Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72009/) are on the Eccles/Patricroft borderline hence both areas. Sorry for being logical on this point.

Putting a pub which is near enough on the platform at Patricroft station in Eccles is at best misleading and at worst ( enter own expletive here).

Neil Richardson had to fill his book somehow and there weren't enough pubs in Eccles to do it. It was never intended to be a geographic guide!!

They should have Patricroft AND Eccles. They are Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses. The fact that it says Patricroft tells you about its location but visitors to Eccles probably havn't heard of Patricroft and miss out on good Eccles pubs because they don't realise it is in crawling distance (20 min walk, 5mins by bus).

ROBCamra
31-12-2015, 14:36
Eccles doesn't get any visitors, including you, which doesn't really add to your qualifications or knowledge of this area, whereas I used to
work in Sale & Trafford Park & play out in Eccles and Patricroft.

That's why only 2 people have ever reviewed most of the pubs there. :rolleyes:

AlanH
31-12-2015, 15:36
Eccles doesn't get any visitors, including you, which doesn't really add to your qualifications or knowledge of this area, whereas I used to
work in Sale & play out in Eccles and Patricroft.

That's why only 2 people have ever reviewed most of the pubs there. :rolleyes:

I lived in Sale for 44 years and have been a very regular drinker in Eccles visiting every pub many times with regular (on foot) crawls from Grapes (Peel Green) to the Lamb.
Then emigrated to Wales (after 1 year in ROBCamra branch at Ramsbottom). Not been back to Eccles for 5 years so can't review them but still chat about them with ex Eccles lads who own the Sun and the Ponsonby in Llangollen.

The last few "Area" articles show we all have different views on how near or far a pub should be to be added to an area and what that area should be called.
I am even learning the Geography of places I had never heard of! May the debates continue.:):moremad::D:cheers:

ROBCamra
31-12-2015, 16:07
I lived in Sale for 44 years

Trumped!! :eek: I can only claim 22 years.:(

Still don't think that the Queens Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60657/) on Patricroft station, should be in Eccles though. :p

Maldenman
31-12-2015, 16:49
I grew up in Sale, lived there from 1967 until 1982. We should form a Sale branch of PuG. Or rather, Old Salians.

Mobyduck
31-12-2015, 16:50
Trumped!! :eek: I can only claim 22 years.:(

Still don't think that the Queens Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60657/) on Patricroft station, should be in Eccles though. :p
I think all this area talk causes more aggravation than good, if you want to visit somewhere you don't know just print off a PUG interactive map or google maps and mark up where you want to go, its easy and saves all the b******s.

sheffield hatter
31-12-2015, 17:28

They should have Patricroft AND Eccles. They are Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses. The fact that it says Patricroft tells you about its location but visitors to Eccles probably havn't heard of Patricroft and miss out on good Eccles pubs because they don't realise it is in crawling distance (20 min walk, 5mins by bus).

Fascinating debate, and I can see strength in the arguments put forward by both sides. Despite ROBCamra's impeccable logic, though, I am inclined to side with AlanH, simply because the postal address of the Queens Arms includes the word "Eccles". Certainly it appears to be within spitting distance of Patricroft station, but it seems a little illogical not to include it in the Eccles "served area" too.

I contribute to this thread with some trepidation, as I have never lived in Sale. (Is there an emoticon for "desperately seeking cover in face of incoming barrage of Lancastrian abuse?")

ROBCamra
31-12-2015, 17:30
desperately seeking cover in face of incoming barrage of Lancastrian abuse?")

Seems unlikely, especially as Sale is in Cheshire. :evilgrin:

(It's in Greater Manchester now really, but they don't like it)

Al 10000
31-12-2015, 17:38
I think all this area talk causes more aggravation than good, if you want to visit somewhere you don't know just print off a PUG interactive map or google maps and mark up where you want to go, its easy and saves all the b******s.

I am not going to comment on pubs areas ever again on this forum,as i said to Rob in a PM to him.
But i will comment about printing things of on Pug maps or Google maps,i dont have a printer,so that comment is complete B******s as far as i am concerned.
Getting pretty *issed off with it all and losing all will to contribute to the site anymore.

Maldenman
31-12-2015, 17:52
I am not going to comment on pubs areas ever again on this forum,as i said to Rob in a PM to him.
But i will comment about printing things of on Pug maps or Google maps,i dont have a printer,so that comment is complete B******s as far as i am concerned.
Getting pretty *issed off with it all and losing all will to contribute to the site anymore.
Rob rules

Al, you are contradicting your earlier post about not misbehaving on here so behave! :D

Just in case, this is tongue in cheek so don't get it wrong, I see you have also visited Sale on your travels, although you went the wrong way from the town centre and did the estate pubs rather than the Sale Moor ones. Happy New Year mate.

Mobyduck
31-12-2015, 17:55
Not my fault or problem that you don't have a printer Al, all I'm saying is that works for me, I think personaly you are taking things to seriously and personaly, that is my opinion rightly or wrongly, we all have different opinions and are all entitled to them. but I have never called anyones opinions complete bollocks whether I agree with them or not.
Happy new year.

Al 10000
31-12-2015, 18:06
Al, you are contradicting your earlier post about not misbehaving on here so behave! :D

Just in case, this is tongue in cheek so don't get it wrong, I see you have also visited Sale on your travels, although you went the wrong way from the town centre and did the estate pubs rather than the Sale Moor ones. Happy New Year mate.

I have been in the Sale Moor pubs,but i stopped doing my old reviews of pubs in Greater Manchester as i thought i was upsetting a certain member on the site,i have visited 94 pubs in Rochdale and took photos of most,but i would no doubt get trouble if i added the reviews,i did do the Baum in its early days when there were 3 real ales on its bar.

I do find it hard to behave,my Mam has always said so and so does the wife now.

Maldenman
31-12-2015, 18:09
Happy New Year Al, good luck with next years tally. I'll never compete with you.

Al 10000
31-12-2015, 18:14
Happy New Year Al, good luck with next years tally. I'll never compete with you.

And a Happy New to you Maldenman,and good luck for next year,you never know you might compete one day,i had a deja vue moment when typing that.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2016, 16:58
Seems unlikely, especially as Sale is in Cheshire. :evilgrin:

(It's in Greater Manchester now really, but they don't like it)

I knew that, but some previous posters had claimed past residence in Sale as a basis for commenting on Eccles, so I felt a little exposed. :eek:

sheffield hatter
01-01-2016, 17:00
I do find it hard to behave,my Mam has always said so and so does the wife now.

Is it too late for a new year's resolution?

Happy New Year, anyway.

Al 10000
01-01-2016, 17:30

It now seems that members who are more equal than me can edit my posts,now even more *issed off.

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 18:41
:cool::cool:
It now seems that members who are more equal than me can edit my posts,now even more *issed off.
As far as I know everyone here is equal, Chill out .

sheffield hatter
01-01-2016, 19:40
:cool::cool:
As far as I know everyone here is equal, Chill out .

There are moderators, as with any forum. But I don't know who moderated Al 10000's post, or what they changed. Is "*issed off" even a phrase?

bcfczuluarmy
01-01-2016, 19:44
I'd go with West Eccles and East Patricroft.

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 19:48
Is "*issed off" even a phrase?
No ,but I think I understand.

sheffield hatter
01-01-2016, 20:11

Brilliant solution which will leave all parties to the dispute equally "*issed off".

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 20:23
Still not convinced any of this matters in the bigger picture. :rolleyes:

AlanH
01-01-2016, 20:27
There are moderators, as with any forum. But I don't know who moderated Al 10000's post, or what they changed. Is "*issed off" even a phrase?

The thing that I can see changed is somebody added "Rob rules" in his quote on #12 that wasn't in his original post on #11

(or maybe Rob edited it out but too late to stop it being carried over to the next post, both at 18.52)

AlanH
01-01-2016, 20:41

:D:D:D:D

Or North Sale!

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 20:45
The thing that I can see changed is somebody added "Rob rules" in his quote on #12 that wasn't in his original post on #11

(or maybe Rob edited it out but too late to stop it being carried over to the next post, both at 18.52)
I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but are moderators editing contributors posts? I can understand deletions if neccassary but......?

trainman
01-01-2016, 21:25
are moderators editing contributors posts?
No, if anyone 'replies with quote', the 'quote' can be edited for relevance, as above...

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 21:38
No
Ah ,thank god for that.

Aqualung
01-01-2016, 21:53
To get back to the original subject, why is it such a problem to not have the pubs listed in both Eccles AND Patricroft?
The point of the areas is not purely to be 100% geographically correct.
When I planned revisiting the Fox and Goose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40554/) in October, a pub I had always thought of as being in Hebden Bridge town. I was surprised to find it wasn't at all but was in somewhere called Stubbing Holme, a place I've never heard of and that isn't marked on the 1:50000 OS map. How can that be useful to anyone?

london calling
01-01-2016, 22:03
I like Eccles cakes or should that be Patricroft cakes?

ROBCamra
01-01-2016, 22:54
Nope, massively flooded on Boxing Day, not likely to open anytime soon.

Al 10000
04-01-2016, 16:49
I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but are moderators editing contributors posts? I can understand deletions if neccassary but......?

The answer to that question is yes,it was not the quote that was edited,it was my post that was edited,you can still see my original post on a quote from Maldenman telling me to behave with tongue in cheek.