PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy for the floods

Pangolin
27-12-2015, 14:07
Sorry to get serious for a moment but let's spare a few special thoughts for all the pubs that have been flooded out over Christmas, and all those who have had their lives turned upside-down as a result. Sadly some will never re-open but we should give special support to those that do.

rpadam
27-12-2015, 14:35
Sorry to get serious for a moment but let's spare a few special thoughts for all the pubs that have been flooded out over Christmas, and all those who have had their lives turned upside-down as a result. Sadly some will never re-open but we should give special support to those that do.
Absolutely - just look at this to see the scale of the damage to property, jobs and local amenity (although, thankfully, no loss of life here):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35183448

Horrible times for those involved.

bcfczuluarmy
27-12-2015, 14:37
Jesus. Has somebody marked it closed yet?

Thankfully all pubs in Hungerford appear unscathed so I should hopefully do all 9 during the rest of the day.

rpadam
27-12-2015, 14:41
Jesus. Has somebody marked it closed yet?

Thankfully all pubs in Hungerford appear unscathed so I should hopefully do all 9 during the rest of the day.
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?22455-Waterside-Summerseat

ROBCamra
27-12-2015, 14:42
The Baum currently closed, no power, but not flooded thankfully.

The Regal Moon in the town centre didn't fare so well.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/100064/flooding-in-rochdale-town-centre-under-water

bcfczuluarmy
27-12-2015, 15:12
How is it there are still so many pubs missing on here in certain parts of the country?

oldboots
27-12-2015, 15:17
Serious problems all round Yorkshire, Kirkstall Bridge Inn and the Adelphi are flooded out, YorkBrewery's warehouse, and. naturally the Kings Arms in York but also deep water at bottom of Fossgate / Walmgate as the Foss had to be allowed to overflow. The peak for York is tonight as its downstream but the whole Ouse/Ure/Swale/Nidd valley is already flooded north and west of York. Elland (Barge & Barrel) could be in trouble as could Brighouse and don't even think about places further up Calderdale like Sowerby Bridge, Hebdon Bridge and poor Mytholmeroyd, even Todmorden has floods. Tadcaster is flooded and it's even bad near Doncaster.

ROBCamra
27-12-2015, 16:08

We have the power!!!! :cheers:

oldboots
27-12-2015, 16:41
Electricity northwest says Lancastrians should turn off your fairy lights and dishwashers, on the bright side Yorkshire Water says the drinking water is safe, but to be on the safe side I'll stick to beer for now😄

*actually they singled out Rochdale and mentioned washing machines too, fairy lights, washing machines and dishwashers in Rochdale? 😈

oldboots
27-12-2015, 16:52
Peak in York now expected lunchtime Monday 5.3 meters (over 16 feet!) above normal ( kinell !). United Utilities say water supply has failed in Rochdale, thank god for beer!

Aqualung
27-12-2015, 17:49
It all sounds horrendous from down here via the news. After all the grief in the Lakes throughout the last month it seems like the whole of Northern England is now under siege and likely to remain so for at least the next week. There's been nothing unusual down here (apart from being very mild) nor on several visits to the West Midlands.

oldboots
27-12-2015, 17:59
It all sounds horrendous from down here via the news. After all the grief in the Lakes throughout the last month it seems like the whole of Northern England is now under siege and likely to remain so for at least the next week. There's been nothing unusual down here (apart from being very mild) nor on several visits to the West Midlands.

Nah, as always it's all very localised. Absolutely horrible and devastating if you're caught in it but just an inconvenience for the majority.

Mobyduck
27-12-2015, 18:01

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/100064/flooding-in-rochdale-town-centre-under-water
Not sure what he's saying :evilgrin: but seems to think it is flooded. (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/36/36918/Baum/Rochdale)

oldboots
27-12-2015, 18:05
Not sure what he's saying :evilgrin: but seems to think it is flooded. (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/36/36918/Baum/Rochdale)

The Baum is a bit higher up than the town centre area round the Regal Moon so should be OK for a bit. If the Baum floods the Regal Moon will be a long way under water - maybe it will be renamed the "Regal Moon under Water"! :evilgrin:

ROBCamra
27-12-2015, 22:52
The Baum is on top of a hill. If it floods the whole town will be under 50 foot of water. :rolleyes:

Aqualung
28-12-2015, 15:21
Storm "Frank" seems to be the next potential problem. The current theory is that it will primarily affect the Lakes and SW Scotland but they won't confirm this until it is almost here.
It was like a Spring day in London today if the sun hadn't been so low in the sky.

Aqualung
29-12-2015, 16:29
Another Spring like day down here today, Just hearing that the bridge in Tadcaster has collapsed. Can't really comment on it as I've never been there, I'm not even sure which part of Yorkshire it's in.

Al 10000
29-12-2015, 16:51
Another Spring like day down here today, Just hearing that the bridge in Tadcaster has collapsed. Can't really comment on it as I've never been there, I'm not even sure which part of Yorkshire it's in.

It is roughly between Leeds and York,

I got there on a coastliner bus to do a crawl there,there are three breweries in the town Samuel Smiths,John Smiths and a Bass brewery that i did not see when doing all open pubs in the town.

Aqualung
29-12-2015, 18:49
It is roughly between Leeds and York,

I got there on a coastliner bus to do a crawl there,there are three breweries in the town Samuel Smiths,John Smiths and a Bass brewery that i did not see when doing all open pubs in the town.

Thanks for that, I later heard it was in N Yorks. I had a notion from way back that most of Sam Smith's original estate was in South Yorkshire. I don't know if that was the case.

oldboots
29-12-2015, 21:17
I had a notion from way back that most of Sam Smith's original estate was in South Yorkshire. I don't know if that was the case.

Originally the pubs were in the West Riding (which includes West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and a bit of North Yorkshire), but mostly in Tadcaster (Mr Humphrey owns a lot of the town), York and Leeds, with pubs spread about in between those places. Tadcaster is on the main road from Leeds to York (A64) but closer to York, BTW John Smiths brewery looked like it was on an island when I went past this morning.

It is hard to tell from the outside if a pub is a Sams house but there is a map on the unofficial site, http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=2. Humphrey bought a lot of pubs further south, for example the well known historic ones in London plus others dotted about including two in Gloucester and two in Edinburgh! Some of the pubs came with a take over of Melbourn's of Stamford, no idea where the cluster in Manchester/Cheshire came from. The Kings Arms in York which always gets flooded is a Sam's house.

Aqualung
29-12-2015, 22:33
Originally the pubs were in the West Riding (which includes West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and a bit of North Yorkshire), but mostly in Tadcaster (Mr Humphrey owns a lot of the town), York and Leeds, with pubs spread about in between those places. Tadcaster is on the main road from Leeds to York (A64) but closer to York, BTW John Smiths brewery looked like it was on an island when I went past this morning.

It is hard to tell from the outside if a pub is a Sams house but there is a map on the unofficial site, http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=2. Humphrey bought a lot of pubs further south, for example the well known historic ones in London plus others dotted about including two in Gloucester and two in Edinburgh! Some of the pubs came with a take over of Melbourn's of Stamford, no idea where the cluster in Manchester/Cheshire came from. The Kings Arms in York which always gets flooded is a Sam's house.

I've just checked the Frank Baillie book and then they had two breweries . the Tadcaster one and the Rochdale one called the "Rochdale & Manor Brewery" (which they closed in 1974). That would explain those Greater Manchester ones including the one I've been to in Stockport. Melbourns is still listed as an independent brewer with houses in the areas of Gainsborough, Lincoln, Boune, Stamford, Oakham and Corby.
I think I got my South Yorkshire notion from a quote by the brewery saying they were just a small brewery with tied houses in the mining areas of Yorkshire which I assumed meant South Yorkshire.
I do remember the Melbourns change as I went on a brewery trip to Ruddles and stopped at one of the Stamford pubs. I get the impression that Melbourn may have then still owned or even still do own the pubs but with Sam Smith supplying the beers. I really wonder if they actually own all those old pubs in London. If they do they must be worth millions.

Wittenden
30-12-2015, 08:41
I do remember the Melbourns change as I went on a brewery trip to Ruddles and stopped at one of the Stamford pubs. I get the impression that Melbourn may have then still owned or even still do own the pubs but with Sam Smith supplying the beers..

Does Sam still use the old Melbourne's brewery to make some kind of fruit beer? If so, has anyone tried 'em?

london calling
06-01-2016, 14:48
Does Sam still use the old Melbourne's brewery to make some kind of fruit beer? If so, has anyone tried 'em?
Tried them all.Lovely fruit beers on the sweet side rather than the sour Belgian style.

london calling
06-01-2016, 14:51

The Regal Moon looks like its closed until the summer.Some wag on Scoopgen says when it re-opens it will be called the Regal Moon Under Water.Funny but not funny.

ROBCamra
06-01-2016, 15:15
The Regal Moon looks like its closed until the summer.Some wag on Scoopgen says when it re-opens it will be called the Regal Moon Under Water.Funny but not funny.

I was talking to Chris (the manager) last night.

He said they don't really know how long it's going to be.

Part of the pub floor was floorboards over concrete which is fine, but other areas are floorboards over wood over soil, so not that easy
when the shit has sunk into the ground.:sick:

The architect paid his first visit yesterday and the initial repair estimate is £800,000. :eek:

I suspect when the JDW machine gets going it will work fast, but the earliest estimate is the end of March.:mad:

london calling
06-01-2016, 15:48
I was talking to Chris (the manager) last night.

He said they don't really know how long it's going to be.

Part of the pub floor was floorboards over concrete which is fine, but other areas are floorboards over wood over soil, so not that easy
when the shit has sunk into the ground.:sick:

The architect paid his first visit yesterday and the initial repair estimate is £800,000. :eek:

I suspect when the JDW machine gets going it will work fast, but the earliest estimate is the end of March.:mad:
Lets hope they had flood insurance to cover that bill.The Mark Addy Manchester a pub I have been in has no insurance and the owner has lost the 200,000 he has invested in the pub.That info on the Regal Moon came from Sue Barker who I don't know but think you may. cheers

ROBCamra
06-01-2016, 15:53
Lets hope they had flood insurance to cover that bill.The Mark Addy Manchester a pub I have been in has no insurance and the owner has lost the 200,000 he has invested in the pub.That info on the Regal Moon came from Sue Barker who I don't know but think you may. cheers

JDW self insured for £250,000, so they'll lose that, the rest is covered. QOS Sue Barker? She's always round our house.:p

bcfczuluarmy
06-01-2016, 20:30
USP to keep punters coming in at The Camp House Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42408/)

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Pub-open-business-come-hell-high-water/story-28469110-detail/story.html

ROBCamra
18-01-2016, 11:14
From The Stubbing Wharf - Hebden Bridge newsletter.

The Boxing Day floods

"It will stay in the memory for a long time, Boxing Day morning of 2015. It's supposed to be the busiest day in the festive calendar for The Stubbing. It all changed so quickly.

The river was trying to merge with the cellar, at first we thought we could control the problem by pumping out the water. However it was all in vain when the levels got so high, the electrics tripped and the pumps worked no more. We knew it was too late for the cellar and all the stock in it. All that lovely real ale unsettled by the mass of water, never to be consumed.

Our next problem was to try and stop the water entering the main part of the pub. Tables, barrels breeze blocks, we franticly found anything we could get hold of to keep the water out, it did not!

We had to go upstairs where we waited for hours, only able to watch the mass of water coming from the canal at the back and the river at the front. We have an external door on the higher level which backs on to the canal, it was inches from coming in but fortunately it did not.

The intensity of the water has meant that the main part of the pub will have to be striped out and put back, we will work with a designer and the construction company to get our pub back, and yes we will be back. Exactly when? This is still unknown but we are hoping to be open for the summer and with a slightly new look.

We have been so touched by how understanding and helpful everyone has been in the community not just to us, but to those so unfortunate to have damage to their homes and lost valued possessions, we would like to offer our deep condolences to all who have been affected.

We will keep you all updated to our progress via our Facebook and Twitter accounts, please ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ to find out how the refurbishment is going."

Matt and Sally

ROBCamra
03-02-2016, 14:05
Some good news at last after the Rochdale floods.

La Mancha (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81236/) reopens on Friday.

Target opening date for The Regal Moon (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55906/) is 24/03/2016.