PDA

View Full Version : Quinno's 2016 challenge

Quinno
14-12-2015, 09:13
After 2014's 365 New Pubs (which turned into a Lara and also managed to incorporate pub names A-Z) and 2015's 100% Berkshire Completion challenge comes 2016's challenge...

The top 250 pub names on PuG (all unvisited pubs) or Pub Bingo, if you will. This means around 20 new ones a month, on average.

Going to be tough...!

ROBCamra
14-12-2015, 10:38
So what happens if, for example a Dun Cow or a Crows Nest closes?

As they're close to the bottom of the list they would fall off the most popular and another name would appear.

The same would apply if a new opening or a reopening added one to the list, something else would fall off.

Just saying.....:evilgrin:

Quinno
14-12-2015, 10:47
So what happens if, for example a Dun Cow or a Crows Nest closes?

As they're close to the bottom of the list they would fall off the most popular and another name would appear.

The same would apply if a new opening or a reopening added one to the list, something else would fall off.

Just saying.....:evilgrin:

It's the list as at Jan 1st 2016, obviously :D

There are also a few that I've merged as some adjuncts disguise what are essentially the same thing (eg Duke of Wellington and, er, Wellington). Plus 'Tavern' and 'Bar' are included as terms but as both Inn and Hotel are stripped out so they should be stripped out too IMHO - so I've merged Railway and Railway Tavern (which really puts the merged entry high up the list - to number 8 in fact), plus three different displays of Victoria (now 18th in my list).

I'm hoping Dave can tweak the SQL slightly based on this so I can see what others crop-up when applied...

Dave M
14-12-2015, 11:21
Tweaked the list slightly as per the fairly sensible request regarding Tavern and Bar.

This does sound like a fairly insane challenge, will be very impressed if you manage it!

Quinno
14-12-2015, 11:53
Tweaked the list slightly as per the fairly sensible request regarding Tavern and Bar.

This does sound like a fairly insane challenge, will be very impressed if you manage it!

Looking really good - have just messaged a couple more tweaks and then I think we're pretty much ready to roll-out!

Thanks so much for getting this sorted for me. :cheers:

ROBCamra
14-12-2015, 12:56
Well after the tweaks the Caledonian has popped into the list.

As far as I can see the closest Caledonian to Reading is this one Caledonian Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20169/) just outside Wigan.

Best of luck with that one Quinno, you may have been better not getting the list tweaked.

To be honest Wigan is closer than I thought it would be.

I've been in the Ullapool & Portree ones many years ago and was kind of hoping that they might be the closest. :evilgrin:

Quinno
14-12-2015, 13:39
Well after the tweaks the Caledonian has popped into the list.

As far as I can see the closest Caledonian to Reading is this one Caledonian Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20169/) just outside Wigan.

Best of luck with that one Quinno, you may have been better not getting the list tweaked.

To be honest Wigan is closer than I thought it would be.

I've been in the Ullapool & Portree ones many years ago and was kind of hoping that they might be the closest. :evilgrin:

Ha ha well with a few Dun Cows in the mix I'm expecting at least one Northern jaunt if not two. If I get really desperate I'll downgrade the challenge to 'having drunk in them all at some point' ;)

Aqualung
14-12-2015, 13:49

Having had a drink in and stayed in Wigan for the first time ever this year I can highly recommend it. I've no idea how far that Ashton in Whatever place is but I suspect the Aqua Bar may be a place to be avoided!

ROBCamra
14-12-2015, 14:14
I've no idea how far that Ashton in Whatever place is

It's very closed to Haydock racecourse really, about 5 miles south of Wigan.

Mobyduck
14-12-2015, 18:51
The top 250 pub names on PuG (all unvisited pubs) or Pub Bingo, if you will. This means around 20 new ones a month, on average.

Going to be tough...!
Excuse me for being a bit dim but what list and how do you access it?

Strongers
14-12-2015, 18:53
Does this count?

The Cally (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25487/)

Strongers
14-12-2015, 18:56
Excuse me for being a bit dim but what list and how do you access it?

'Popular pub names' under 'stats and features' at top of main PuG page.

ROBCamra
14-12-2015, 19:02
Does this count?

Nope! Far too close to Reading. :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
14-12-2015, 19:58
'Popular pub names' under 'stats and features' at top of main PuG page.
Ah :muppet:

bcfczuluarmy
14-12-2015, 20:53
That sounds a mental idea. Similar to the possible challenge my mate and I have discussed of having a pint in every pub on the length of the A38 from Cornwall to Derbyshire. No idea how many pubs it involves but it would be bonkers.

I have however already done Bridgewater to Gloucester....

Aqualung
14-12-2015, 21:37
That sounds a mental idea.

My thoughts entirely but it wouldn't be a challenge otherwise. Last month when I told an old friend that I had been to over 300 Spoons his response was "Is that anything to be proud of?".

Blackthorn
14-12-2015, 21:44
I think the list still needs a bit of tweaking doesn't it? I know we're trying to drop common suffixes like Inn, Tavern or whatever, but in some cases it seems like a key part of the name has been dropped.

No. 9 is "New" (maybe these are all New Inn's?)
No. 40 is "Royal". Ok, I know there are some just called that, but 122?
No. 47 is "Commercial"
No. 50 is "Village" and so on.

It's a shame there isn't a link that then takes you to a list of the pubs in question.

Great idea though!

bcfczuluarmy
14-12-2015, 22:55
I meant mental from the point of view of the logistics involved. Much the same as trying to do 292 miles of A road pubs ended in Nottinghamshire not Derbyshire. Suppose given the name angle it could be easier than it sounds if planned meticulously.

All challenges should involve pints not 1/2's though in my opinion. 1/2's make them twice as easy...

Dave M
14-12-2015, 23:35
I think the list still needs a bit of tweaking doesn't it? I know we're trying to drop common suffixes like Inn, Tavern or whatever, but in some cases it seems like a key part of the name has been dropped.

No. 9 is "New" (maybe these are all New Inn's?)
No. 40 is "Royal". Ok, I know there are some just called that, but 122?
No. 47 is "Commercial"
No. 50 is "Village" and so on.

It's a shame there isn't a link that then takes you to a list of the pubs in question.

I will make the links to the lists at some point soon, it is kind of needed!

As to further tweaking, I'm going to produce a list that will be the final Quinno hit list of 250 names but as far as I'm concerned it is his rules and he can decide how it is going to work - I've made my input as to some of the rules I'd use.

For reference almost all called "New" are indeed "New Inn", but there is a reasonable amount of variety with Royal, Royal Inn, Royal Bar and Royal Hotel and even one Royal Tavern.

Quinno
15-12-2015, 08:55
All challenges should involve pints not 1/2's though in my opinion. 1/2's make them twice as easy...

My challenge, my rules! :D

Does this count?

I'd say yes as the reference is obviously the same. But given its location I suspect I won't utilize it!

My thoughts entirely but it wouldn't be a challenge otherwise. Last month when I told an old friend that I had been to over 300 Spoons his response was "Is that anything to be proud of?".

Ha ha, but I reckon it's good to say you're a trained expert in something.

I will make the links to the lists at some point soon, it is kind of needed!

As to further tweaking, I'm going to produce a list that will be the final Quinno hit list of 250 names but as far as I'm concerned it is his rules and he can decide how it is going to work - I've made my input as to some of the rules I'd use.

Links to the lists would be awesome! Thanks Dave.

aleandhearty
15-12-2015, 15:15
Obviously, this new job you started isn't keeping you as busy as you thought! :evilgrin: Seriously, good luck with the challenge. I'm sure you'll have some interesting tales to tell, over the coming months.

sheffield hatter
15-12-2015, 18:08

Going to be tough...!

...but not as tough as going for the bottom 250 on the list - there are 265 pub names listed, and the top 15 account for about 10% of the open pubs in the whole UK.

Quinno
15-12-2015, 21:00
...but not as tough as going for the bottom 250 on the list - there are 265 pub names listed, and the top 15 account for about 10% of the open pubs in the whole UK.

Suspect there are far more than 250 names with no more than one entry!

Quinno
16-12-2015, 12:03
Another few SQL / general rule tweaks -

Singular & plurals eg Hop Pole and Hop Poles, Compass/Compasses, I'd say they need to be amalgamated, if possible.

Also there are Old Red Lions and Olde Red Lions - same thing, in my book.

Issues with words that can be separated in pub names - Horse Shoes/Horsehoes, Holly Bush/Hollybush, Odd Fellow/Oddfellows, Wool Pack/Woolpack etc

Finally, do apostrophes interfere with the results? Nags/Nag's/Nags' etc

Also, what do we reckon about 'Brewery Tap'? There are a few standalones though there are also loads with "(brewery name) Brewery Tap". Include and amlagamate?

bcfczuluarmy
16-12-2015, 16:57
Surely "Lounge" needs a tweak as I suspect it'll be referring to nearly all the "loungers bars" which are on here which is actually equivalent to bar, Inn, Tavern etc in the naming of their brand which are now being dropped to accommodate this challenge....

On data in Spain so haven't/can't afford to check this theory fully.

Also removing/bunching things together like Hart/Harte is wrong but his challenge his rules.

Dave M
16-12-2015, 17:15
Surely "Lounge" needs a tweak as I suspect it'll be referring to nearly all the "loungers bars" which are on here which is actually equivalent to bar, Inn, Tavern etc in the naming of their brand which are now being dropped to accommodate this challenge....

On data in Spain so haven't/can't afford to check this theory fully.
I suspect most of the Lounges on the list are actually unimaginatively named hotel lounge bars. The only one of the Loungers chain should be the original one in Bedminster.

Al 10000
16-12-2015, 17:32
I will never manage the complete 250 pubs with a different name that you have not been in before challenge like Quinno will do.

But i would be interested if there is a way we can see how many other members do on the list over a year,i hope to do 400 plus new pubs in 2016 and hopefully a few will be on that list.
I dont have a printer,but it would be nice to have a tick box of some sorts to keep track of what pubs we do on the list.

Just a thought,dont want to complicate things to much though.

Dave M
16-12-2015, 17:42
Another few SQL / general rule tweaks -

Singular & plurals eg Hop Pole and Hop Poles, Compass/Compasses, I'd say they need to be amalgamated, if possible.

Also there are Old Red Lions and Olde Red Lions - same thing, in my book.

Issues with words that can be separated in pub names - Horse Shoes/Horsehoes, Holly Bush/Hollybush, Odd Fellow/Oddfellows, Wool Pack/Woolpack etc

Finally, do apostrophes interfere with the results? Nags/Nag's/Nags' etc

Still thinking about how to do this. I suspect that when it comes to applying the extra rules there is going to have to be a part automatic and part manual process that I'm starting to visualise in my head.

I assume that 'Old Red Lion', 'New Red Lion' and 'Red Lion' are all different names as far as you're concerned?

I think I have apostrophes covered already.

bcfczuluarmy
16-12-2015, 17:44
Makes sense just saw lounge and thought given I have one at the bottom of my road it was likely to be them accounting for the addition to the top 250.

Dave M
16-12-2015, 17:54
I will never manage the complete 250 pubs with a different name that you have not been in before challenge like Quinno will do.

But i would be interested if there is a way we can see how many other members do on the list over a year,i hope to do 400 plus new pubs in 2016 and hopefully a few will be on that list.
I dont have a printer,but it would be nice to have a tick box of some sorts to keep track of what pubs we do on the list.

Just a thought,dont want to complicate things to much though.
I would very much like to make that option possible but I don't want to make any promises. If I can get 2-3 solid days work on it between Christmas and New Year then it may well be possible.

Mobyduck
16-12-2015, 19:05
I would very much like to make that option possible but I don't want to make any promises. If I can get 2-3 solid days work on it between Christmas and New Year then it may well be possible.
That would be good if possible.

Quinno
17-12-2015, 08:23
I assume that 'Old Red Lion', 'New Red Lion' and 'Red Lion' are all different names as far as you're concerned?.

Correct :)

Quinno
17-12-2015, 12:00
Here's one to ponder (as I work through the list drawing up potential hits):

Lord and Admiral Nelson. Different names, but same person (before you even throw in simple 'The Nelson X' places).

Keep separate or amalgamate...well if we apply the Victoria and Wellington rule it's an amalgamate (amalgamation would see Nelsons high up the list, a lot more than I thought!).

Mobyduck
17-12-2015, 13:32
Here's one to ponder (as I work through the list drawing up potential hits):

Lord and Admiral Nelson. Different names, but same person (before you even throw in simple 'The Nelson X' places).

Keep separate or amalgamate...well if we apply the Victoria and Wellington rule it's an amalgamate (amalgamation would see Nelsons high up the list, a lot more than I thought!).

Same person, seperate name,don't amalgamate as far as I'm concerned.

bcfczuluarmy
17-12-2015, 15:25
Wouldn't it just be easier to go in 250 pubs and none have the same name or close variant that you've not been in prior/previously?

sheffield hatter
17-12-2015, 17:07
Same person, seperate name,don't amalgamate as far as I'm concerned.

I agree.

If "Old Red Lion" is different from "Red Lion", why is "Lord Nelson" the same as "Admiral Nelson" and "Nelson"?

sheffield hatter
17-12-2015, 17:11
Wouldn't it just be easier to go in 250 pubs and none have the same name or close variant that you've not been in prior/previously?

I think the problem is that to find 250 pubs he's not been into before, Quinno has to emerge from the comforts of his home county. Therefore there has to be a fair amount of planning in order to find the required pubs within reasonable distance of a) Berkshire and b) each other.

I'm not sure why there has to be so much tinkering with the "popular names" list, though. It looks as though he's trying to make his task easier by cheating, but that surely can't be the case.

Or can it?

Al 10000
17-12-2015, 17:47

That would be a doddle,
Go to any large town or city hit the Spoons there,most have unique names and then wait until the evening and do the crap named bars in said town or city.

bcfczuluarmy
17-12-2015, 18:59
Once the list is finalised it will be interesting to see how easy this actually could be. I'm sure I could just go back to Birmingham/West Midlands and do a fair whack without batting an eyelid every weekend and say hello to my parents or stay at friends.

Quinno
18-12-2015, 10:26
I think the problem is that to find 250 pubs he's not been into before, Quinno has to emerge from the comforts of his home county. Therefore there has to be a fair amount of planning in order to find the required pubs within reasonable distance of a) Berkshire and b) each other.

I'm not sure why there has to be so much tinkering with the "popular names" list, though. It looks as though he's trying to make his task easier by cheating, but that surely can't be the case.

Or can it?

Never!

To be fair, I work with data every day so it's my geeky side coming out.

I should also point out that any amalgamation actually makes my life more difficult, as it could result in another tranche of pubs appearing that have even less name frequency - it would be easier for me to stay schtum!

Strongers
21-12-2015, 12:25
I’ve been to 210/265.

The highest rated pub name that I have not visited is number 48 - Bay Horse 90

london calling
22-12-2015, 19:55
I’ve been to 210/265.

Drank in the Bay Horse bar Dundee in 1970 following in the footsteps of my dad, my uncle James and my grandfather.Less than 10p a pint.

Dave M
02-01-2016, 00:02
Well I think this is the final list for Quinnos 2016 challenge. Best of luck to anyone else who is going to take a stab at it!

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/

In addition the ability for everyone to record their pub visits is under development.

I've made an assumption that if you've reviewed a pub up to now then you probably also visited it. There is currently no way to remove that recorded 'visit' where it isn't actually the case. Lots more coming soon, I hope.

bcfczuluarmy
02-01-2016, 00:41
I've added date to one of my locals The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/437/) can't see anything telling me the date I've selected though unless I'm missing something.

OK you need to stay on the quinno link to filter on yes/no's of popular names if you've ticked a yes and added a date.

Further edit OK a pub i went in years ago has a yes tick against it and my name because I reviewed it years ago.

Good WIP. Will ROBCamra be able to see a visit date before shutting something that you've been in as open 2 days before/because the internet/whatpub suggests otherwise?

Mobyduck
02-01-2016, 11:03
Still working my way through the list ticking off my unreviewed pubs from years ago , I notice this one is missing that I have reviewed
The Station Pizza Kitchen and Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13477/).

Dave M
02-01-2016, 11:36
I've added date to one of my locals The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/437/) can't see anything telling me the date I've selected though unless I'm missing something.

OK you need to stay on the quinno link to filter on yes/no's of popular names if you've ticked a yes and added a date.

Further edit OK a pub i went in years ago has a yes tick against it and my name because I reviewed it years ago.

Good WIP. Will ROBCamra be able to see a visit date before shutting something that you've been in as open 2 days before/because the internet/whatpub suggests otherwise?

As you've noticed there is nothing yet on specific pub pages to suggest a visit has been recorded.

Clearly I need to get that done, that interface will need to allow you to record multiple visits which is something I haven't quite got my head around yet.

Also as to whether others will be able to see visit date - need to give some thought to that whole area as there might be privacy concerns. For example if I put a button on the mobile version of a pub page saying "I'm here now" would people really want it advertised to the world that they are at a pub right now. I think I know how I'm going to work that, but not quite there yet.

Still working my way through the list ticking off my unreviewed pubs from years ago , I notice this one is missing that I have reviewed
The Station Pizza Kitchen and Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13477/).

The problem I have is that I have written some code to strip common endings from names, such as "Hotel", "Inn" and the like. I did start to get into the more obscure so I included "Bar and Kitchen", "Kitchen and Bar", "Pub and Kitchen". This means that my popular name system currently thinks that venue is called Station Pizza. I've now added it to the Station list - which may cheer up Quinno as he hasn't been there and it isn't too far for him!

Dave M
02-01-2016, 11:38
Still working my way through the list ticking off my unreviewed pubs from years ago.

Actually, on that note if you go to a town page such as http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/fleet/hampshire/ you should have a new button on the right hand side under "page tools" that allows you to go and mark off visited pubs by town.

Mobyduck
02-01-2016, 12:00
Actually, on that note if you go to a town page such as http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/fleet/hampshire/ you should have a new button on the right hand side under "page tools" that allows you to go and mark off visited pubs by town.
Wow ,thats good.

Mobyduck
02-01-2016, 12:05
I've now added it to the Station list - which may cheer up Quinno as he hasn't been there and it isn't too far for him!
He's not missing much, apart from the tick of course. :D

Quinno
02-01-2016, 13:03
Well I think this is the final list for Quinnos 2016 challenge. Best of luck to anyone else who is going to take a stab at it!

In addition the ability for everyone to record their pub visits is under development.

I've made an assumption that if you've reviewed a pub up to now then you probably also visited it. There is currently no way to remove that recorded 'visit' where it isn't actually the case. Lots more coming soon, I hope.

Many thanks for the work you've put into this Dave, it's going to be an epic challenge but I reckon I can do it... :D

My mystery birthday holiday is fast approaching (Jan 7th) so the first ticks will be rolling in soon...!!

Mobyduck
02-01-2016, 17:45
Another missing possibly due to aforementioned technicalitys is The Castle Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1669/), unfortunately for Quinno he has done this one, it would be far too easy.

Mobyduck
02-01-2016, 18:10
Another missing possibly due to aforementioned technicalitys is The Castle Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1669/), unfortunately for Quinno he has done this one, it would be far too easy.
And another, Eagle Ale House. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24447/)
Are these being helpful Dave ? Or is it something you will get to in due course.

Al 10000
03-01-2016, 16:48
I’ve been to 210/265.

Ive done 241 out of 255 which now seems to be the new target,my highest rated pub name not visited is the Six Bells at 124,i know i have done a few Six Bells ime sure i did one in Brentford when i did a crawl round there,most of the name missing on my list i have done,though probably not a Waverley.

Now 10 new ones for 2016 on Quinnos list,not a bad start for the year,but i will not go out of my way to do them.

sheffield hatter
06-01-2016, 13:56

Nice one Dave.

A couple of points: the new Quinno's Challenge stats page shows that I have not been to a pub called Coopers Arms, but I have in fact been to Coopers Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34227/) in Burton. As per previous discussions I had assumed this would count. (BTW I'm not at all bothered about this, it's just geeky completeness syndrome.) Also I'm sure I'm not the only one who has posted a "review" of a pub that I haven't drunk in, for any number of reasons, so if you could include a "not actually visited (yet)" button at some future time, that would be great.

Mobyduck
06-01-2016, 14:30
Just added my first pub on Quinnos challenge, The Greyhound (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70268/),if I get anywhere close to 50 in the next year I will be amazed.
Did have 118 on the original list .

ETA
06-01-2016, 14:55
I'm off to a flying start with - er, zero.

I claim 171 prevous, though, of which 163 are reviewed on here.

Dave M
06-01-2016, 15:00

A couple of points: the new Quinno's Challenge stats page shows that I have not been to a pub called Coopers Arms, but I have in fact been to Coopers Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34227/) in Burton. As per previous discussions I had assumed this would count.

As far as the list is concerned in these cases "Castle Tap" and "Castle" are different pub names, as are "Coopers" and "Coopers Arms".

The following is the list of suffixes that have been dropped:-
Inn
Inne
Hotel
Tavern
Bar & Kitchen
Pub & Kitchen
Kitchen & Bar
Wine Bar
Bar

"Arms" is not something we routinely stripped from the end of names, this means there is "Queens", "Queens Head" and "Queens Arms" on the list which I think is fair enough. There are probably some examples where "Arms" should be treated in the same manor as "Inn" or "Tavern" but the problem is that we'd have to go through the whole 2500 different names to decide which.

Anyhow, the button for removing a visit will be coming soon, it is very much a priority because I know I'm going to press the wrong button soon!

Aqualung
06-01-2016, 15:58
This isn't a pressing point but some of the values for me were wrong due to multiple reviews. I've deleted as many as I can find (there are still three) but it hasn't fixed my totals. Will the data that the list is based on be extracted afresh at some point. I've no intention of taking on this challenge as I've got several lesser goals and the Moon Under Water isn't there! Nevertheless it's interesting to see how the totals work out.

Dave M
06-01-2016, 16:10
This isn't a pressing point but some of the values for me were wrong due to multiple reviews. I've deleted as many as I can find (there are still three) but it hasn't fixed my totals. Will the data that the list is based on be extracted afresh at some point. I've no intention of taking on this challenge as I've got several lesser goals and the Moon Under Water isn't there! Nevertheless it's interesting to see how the totals work out.

When I extracted possible 'visits' from reviews that was a one off process in which the two things are no longer linked.

So adding a new review or deleting an old one wont create or remove a visit. What I need to do is create a button to remove visits that are wrong and I also need to make it possible to create multiple visits.

Which totals are wrong? The ones in the tables or the ones in the bit of text at the top - or indeed both? If those are wrong it is because I haven't properly thought something through and need to correct it!

Dave M
06-01-2016, 16:40
Do the figures in the main table (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/) look right now? I've made a change that should help. I hope. :muppet:

Strongers
06-01-2016, 17:23
What happens if a visited pub closes before the end of the year?

Mobyduck
06-01-2016, 19:52
What happens if a visited pub closes before the end of the year?
It still counts a visit surely?

bcfczuluarmy
06-01-2016, 20:24
Is there a way I can submit a spread sheet of all the pub names I've been into that I can remember whereby a bulk upload of yes's and dates could occur?

These are the first few I've gone through with just a number against them let alone location and it's going to take a while if my OCD can't be reigned in.

If possible would it need to only include current open pubs or could shut demolished count?

Quinno
06-01-2016, 20:41
It still counts a visit surely?

It does

bcfczuluarmy
09-01-2016, 16:44
I've just invented a new challenge today which is to do them in 2's after I ended up visiting The Sun Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1434/) and The Sun Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57164/).

We also need a delete/edit button as I accidentally hit today's date for this The Sun Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41885/) also under Swindon when I actually went in on 23/11/2013.

Mobyduck
10-01-2016, 08:11
Dave ,any chance of a button that changes the list to alphabetical and back again? It would make searching easier.

ETA
11-01-2016, 09:12
Dave ,any chance of a button that changes the list to alphabetical and back again? It would make searching easier.

You can already do that - just click on the Pub Name and Rank boxes at the top of the column

Mobyduck
11-01-2016, 10:45
You can already do that - just click on the Pub Name and Rank boxes at the top of the column
Thanks, much easier.

bcfczuluarmy
12-01-2016, 18:13
We also need a delete/edit button as I accidentally hit today's date for this The Sun Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41885/) also under Swindon when I actually went in on 23/11/2013.

Sussed it if you use the Visited Pubs button from the Page tools when on an area main page you can correct this.

Mobyduck
23-01-2016, 09:19
Let me just recap on this challenge, I presume its 250 new pubs on the list each with a different name, so if for example you visit two new Cricketers this year, only one of them will count for the challenge purposes. Have I got that right?

Quinno
23-01-2016, 10:08
Let me just recap on this challenge, I presume its 250 new pubs on the list each with a different name, so if for example you visit two new Cricketers this year, only one of them will count for the challenge purposes. Have I got that right?

Yup

Mobyduck
23-01-2016, 10:09
Yup

6 so far then.

Quinno
23-01-2016, 10:10
Hmmm just added some reviews that tickle the challenge names and they aren't being picked up...DAVE! :confused:

Dave M
23-01-2016, 10:26
Sorry I didn't clarify that creating 'visits' from reviews was a one time process. From now on they are detached separate things, so to record visits you need to press the visited button and add a date if you want it picked up for the 2016 challenge.

Quinno
23-01-2016, 10:45
Sorry I didn't clarify that creating 'visits' from reviews was a one time process. From now on they are detached separate things, so to record visits you need to press the visited button and add a date if you want it picked up for the 2016 challenge.

ah, I see, ta.

Quinno
26-01-2016, 18:13
10 ticks in and around Romsey last Sunday takes me up to 17. Need 21 a month...

ETA
30-01-2016, 07:42
A couple more anomalies:

The Grove Arms Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60594/) isn't picked up by Grove

The Ring of Bells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57835/) by Ring O' Bells

and in the 'ever' column, it doesn't pick up closed pubs (did someone already mention that?)

Quinno
01-02-2016, 12:38
One for Dave

I've been busy investigating the listed 'Lounge' places as I suspected a fair chunk of them were not pubs or bars (or even open) and I was right!

Some names have changed but the list doesn't seem to want to refresh and drop them - can you take a look? It does take the closed ones out though.

One of the Loungers chain has snuck on there: Lounge (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61842/) (I think Dave you said you'd knock those off the original list?)

Dave M
01-02-2016, 12:50
I suspect most of the Lounges on the list are actually unimaginatively named hotel lounge bars. The only one of the Loungers chain should be the original one in Bedminster.

One for Dave

I've been busy investigating the listed 'Lounge' places as I suspected a fair chunk of them were not pubs or bars (or even open) and I was right!

Some names have changed but the list doesn't seem to want to refresh and drop them - can you take a look? It does take the closed ones out though.

One of the Loungers chain has snuck on there: Lounge (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61842/) (I think Dave you said you'd knock those off the original list?)

I need to manually drop things from the list as we wanted a fixed point of reference in case stuff changed during the year after you had visited if that makes sense. I will refresh the Lounge list for you at point.

I stand by my original comment regarding the Lounge in Bedminster though.

Quinno
01-02-2016, 13:05
I need to manually drop things from the list as we wanted a fixed point of reference in case stuff changed during the year after you had visited if that makes sense. I will refresh the Lounge list for you at point.

I stand by my original comment regarding the Lounge in Bedminster though.

OK cool - and yes I'm fine with Lounge in Bedminster (did it back in day anyway so not eligible!)

I'll probably work my way through one or two other names that may well have flagged some false positives so don't be surprised to see some data changes. I don't want to schlep out to a far-flung corner of Britain only to find a strip club or nightclub (as happened in Southsea on Saturday), so doing my research now! :D

Quinno
03-02-2016, 12:28
One to flag - Coopers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/coopersarms/) is not picking up The Coopers Arms/Y Cwps (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/)

Might be the '/' ?

On a broader note, a policy regarding how to display bilingual names in the pub title would be useful; I think '/' is best as (name) implies subordination.

Aqualung
03-02-2016, 13:29
One to flag - Coopers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/coopersarms/) is not picking up The Coopers Arms/Y Cwps (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/)

Might be the '/' ?

On a broader note, a policy regarding how to display bilingual names in the pub title would be useful; I think '/' is best as (name) implies subordination.

I think the Welsh / Gaelic name should come first. Y Cwps hasn't been the Coopers Arms for at least twenty years. I don't think it's a translation either, probably more of a local nickname or abbreviation. Surely the current name should come first?

Quinno
03-02-2016, 17:47
I think the Welsh / Gaelic name should come first. Y Cwps hasn't been the Coopers Arms for at least twenty years. I don't think it's a translation either, probably more of a local nickname or abbreviation. Surely the current name should come first?

Their FB page is bilingual with the name. WhatPub is English-only. Make of that what you will!!

Aqualung
03-02-2016, 19:06
Their FB page is bilingual with the name. WhatPub is English-only. Make of that what you will!!

Gwynedd pubs where I've noticed have the Welsh name. Y Sior near Bethesda is listed as Sior with (also known as the George) underneath.

Quinno
16-02-2016, 21:37
So I've been busy trundling through the lists, closing where appropriate and changing the odd name.

Now, I have hit "Last Orders". These almost exclusively appear to be a chain - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/lastorders/

Based on the Brewdog principle, I think they need to go...

Dave, the list is down to 245 due to closures, if you could re-run to bring up the next tranche of pubs, that'd be great.

Al 10000
17-02-2016, 17:42
So I've been busy trundling through the lists, closing where appropriate and changing the odd name.

Now, I have hit "Last Orders". These almost exclusively appear to be a chain - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/lastorders/

Based on the Brewdog principle, I think they need to go...

Dave, the list is down to 245 due to closures, if you could re-run to bring up the next tranche of pubs, that'd be great.

All of the Last Orders i have been in are normal pubs that sell dirt cheap beer to *iss heads,some do real ale and some dont,i have only been in one brewdog and will never go in one again,i think they are very different to brewdog,one does over expensive beer the other cheap beer.

Al 10000
29-02-2016, 17:48
Now on 31 on Quinnos list,not trying to do them just happen to have done them.

Al 10000
08-04-2016, 16:01

This facility is missing on your home cities page Dave,
i have tried to find it a few times and it is not there for Bristol,i checked the link to Fleet and it is there and i tried Derham in Norfolk and that worked.
Is this a glitch to the system.

sheffield hatter
08-04-2016, 20:31
This facility is missing on your home cities page Dave,
i have tried to find it a few times and it is not there for Bristol,i checked the link to Fleet and it is there and i tried Derham in Norfolk and that worked.
Is this a glitch to the system.

I think it's because Bristol county and Bristol postal district are essentially the same thing, but are different pages in Pubs Galore. You have to click through from the county to the postal district and then the button referred to above will appear.

Delboy20
08-04-2016, 21:19
I think it's because Bristol county and Bristol postal district are essentially the same thing, but are different pages in Pubs Galore. You have to click through from the county to the postal district and then the button referred to above will appear.

Nothing at all happens when I click the "visited pubs" button on any page !

bcfczuluarmy
08-04-2016, 22:46
Can we also get a follow county area button to save clicking every area?

Al 10000
09-04-2016, 14:39

Thanks for that Will,

i have now added the pubs done in Bristol to the list.

Quinno
19-06-2016, 15:53
Up to 134 now, relatively on track but clusters are getting scarce!

Leicestershire looks like a good bet, along with a couple of London mop-up trips. But then it gets interesting/difficult...

Anyone else having a go or is it just me?

Mobyduck
19-06-2016, 18:51
Only counting what turns up perchance, on 31 may hit 50 or so by the new year.

AlanH
20-06-2016, 00:41

"Doing it" but only on 23! Only been out of Wales 3 times in 2016. Might make 50 if I up my game a bit!

Delboy20
20-06-2016, 16:26
Not really "doing it" but I have been updating the list.

Of 102 new pubs this year only 23 are"Quinno's". Might get to about 40 if I am lucky ..

Del.

ETA
20-06-2016, 16:28

Ditto - on 34.

Mobyduck
20-06-2016, 17:27
Though on 31 I haven't happened upon a new Red Lion yet despite it being the most popular name on the list.

Komakino
24-06-2016, 23:16
anyone else having a go or is it just me?

I'm on 89 so far. Once I've come towards the end of this year's personal 'hit list', I'll see where I am against the challenge and see how close I can get...

Quinno
02-07-2016, 15:37
141 at the end of June - got a couple of work jollies to London so managed to bag some easy Zone 1 places.

Looks like a trip to Leicestershire is on the cards to mop up a load of countryside-themed pub names plus two or three more London trips.

Then the fun begins to clear out the final 40 or so!!

Mobyduck
03-07-2016, 19:58
Now suddenly on 40, a mere 101 behind Quinno at this point in time ,so every chance now of bypassing my projected 50 mark with some room to spare.

Quinno
10-07-2016, 14:52
152 Quinnos after a strange trip round Wiltshire yesterday...

Mobyduck
10-07-2016, 18:27
152 Quinnos after a strange trip round Wiltshire yesterday...

Why was it strange? Apart from being in Wiltshire of course.

Quinno
10-07-2016, 18:40
Why was it strange? Apart from being in Wiltshire of course.

Some strange pubs and strange characters.

My favourite was the Foresters Arms in Melksham, where the Euro 2016 flags were up, but Germany was replaced by Canada. On enquiry, they said "we're not anti-Semitic!!"

Mobyduck
10-07-2016, 18:58
Some strange pubs and strange characters.

My favourite was the Foresters Arms in Melksham, where the Euro 2016 flags were up, but Germany was replaced by Canada. On enquiry, they said "we're not anti-Semitic!!"

Hmm Wiltshire , :D

Quinno
04-09-2016, 12:38
Three jaunts in the last fortnight have got me up to 190 Quinnos. Though I foolishly asked Dave to re-run the report as I've been busy checking the lists for closures, name changes etc which has seen a some extras appear at the bottom of the list and a few I had already done drop out!

Potential trip to Leicester next weekend to bag a few more...

Black Bull is the highest one on the list not yet done (40th) and it is quite interesting how some of these names are heavily clustered around certain areas.

Quinno
03-11-2016, 22:36
Currently on 210 Quinnos although the shifting sands of pub closures/renaming have seen me lose about 10 along the way, Oddfellows, Lounge etc have come back into play at a late stage.

Off to Stoke tomorrow, seeing how close I can get to 230. It's a rich seam up there I discovered after spending a couple of hours compiling a pivot table!

ROBCamra
04-11-2016, 06:54
Currently on 210 Quinnos although the shifting sands of pub closures/renaming have seen me lose about 10 along the way, !

But you say in the third string of this thread that it's based on 1st January 2016. How is it still moving? :confused:

Dave M
04-11-2016, 17:47
Black Bull is the highest one on the list not yet done (40th) and it is quite interesting how some of these names are heavily clustered around certain areas.
The clusters thing is interesting and understandable in some cases, when I get the chance next week I'll make a map page that allows you to look at each pub name.

I did just quickly throw together a quinno hit list map
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/quinnomap.php
This is the 1600 ish pubs that have one of the names quinno still needs.

Mobyduck
27-11-2016, 17:21
Well done Quinno, you appear to have achieved your aims (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/)with some time to spare.

Quinno
02-12-2016, 18:27
Well done Quinno, you appear to have achieved your aims (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/)with some time to spare.

Not quite, I still have a Buck to do. The 9th is pencilled in for this momentus occasion.

The other three will go once Dave a does a refresh of data.

But you say in the third string of this thread that it's based on 1st January 2016. How is it still moving? :confused:

Ideals met reality. Turned out that once I started having a good reserach of the lists, there were a number of pubs that either weren't called that name or had closed. Places like West End, Crows Nest, Stanley Arms fell off the listto be replaced by others like Squirrel, Fighting Cock etc. And during the year I don't want to head to a pub that was eligible on Jan 1st but no longer is come mid-November.

I did just quickly throw together a quinno hit list map
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/quinnomap.php
This is the 1600 ish pubs that have one of the names quinno still needs.

Love it! But Sseems to be showing some odd ones (Lighthouse?) - is it based on a previous static data run?

Quinno
09-12-2016, 22:39
So today was the momentus day where the Quinno 250 Challenge was officially completed. A slog over to Swansea yielded the final hit - Buck Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66105/) - hardly a high point to finish on, but I've learnt over the past year that with certain pub names, beggars cannot be choosers. I can still taste the GK Rockin Rudolf now.

Here's the moment of triumph earlier on this afternoon, inbetween the dancing girls and autographs:

In reality, the 250 was probably closer to 275 what with the ins and outs of the list over the year, at the fag-end it was a almost a monthly churn. Many hours of manual data cleansing of the PUG database as well.

One sad thing is the amount of closures the list highlighted over the year. For example, the gross figure of the top 20 names at the very start of the year is over 100 down on the figure listed today, almost a 2% drop.

Also that Dog & Duck (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/dogandduck/) - the archetype country pub name - has so few in reality, just 16 (it dropped off the final list!).

No year-long challenge for me next year, this one has cost far too many hours and given my liver a fright on occasion. However, the 'county in a long weekend' will be happening in 2017. Watch out, Rutland!

Finally, big thanks to Dave for the fantastic interactive list http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/ (accessed hundreds of times on the road!) and to my companions on the journey, especially Marc 'Deggy' Turner for selflessly chauffering me round such delights as Hull, Plymouth and Stoke. Couldn't have done it without him.

Now got 100-odd reviews to write-up!

Bucking Fastard
09-12-2016, 23:05
So today was the momentus day where the Quinno 250 Challenge was officially completed. A slog over to Swansea yielded the final hit - Buck Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66105/) - hardly a high point to finish on, but I've learnt over the past year that with certain pub names, beggars cannot be choosers. I can still taste the GK Rockin Rudolf now.

Here's the moment of triumph earlier on this afternoon, inbetween the dancing girls and autographs:

In reality, the 250 was probably closer to 275 what with the ins and outs of the list over the year, at the fag-end it was a almost a monthly churn. Many hours of manual data cleansing of the PUG database as well.

One sad thing is the amount of closures the list highlighted over the year. For example, the gross figure of the top 20 names at the very start of the year is over 100 down on the figure listed today, almost a 2% drop.

No year-long challenge for me next year, this one has cost far too many hours and given my liver a fright on occasion. However, the 'county in a long weekend' will be happening in 2017. Watch out, Rutland!

Finally, big thanks to Dave for the fantastic interactive list http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/ (accessed hundreds of times on the road!) and to my companions on the journey, especially Marc 'Deggy' Turner for selflessly chauffering me round such delights as Hull, Plymouth and Stoke. Couldn't have done it without him.

That's one hell of an achievement and has taken true dedication.:notworthy:x250.

trainman
10-12-2016, 07:23
Top stuff Quinno, absolutely outstanding performance!

Mobyduck
10-12-2016, 11:28
Yes brilliant Quinno, I hope for your livers (and wallets) sake no more drop off the list between now and new year. :drinkup:

rpadam
10-12-2016, 14:16
Top stuff Quinno, absolutely outstanding performance!
Absolutely, but Marc 'Deggy' Turner sounds a star too!

trainman
11-12-2016, 08:04
Absolutely, but Marc 'Deggy' Turner sounds a star too!
Yep, meant to include that - Deggy, literally the driving force behind the mission!

Aqualung
11-12-2016, 12:52
Congratulations, I must admit I found the whole idea just too complicated!
When I was in South Wales recently I was told about someone trying to get round all of the Red Lions.

Also that Dog & Duck (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/dogandduck/) - the archetype country pub name - has so few in reality, just 16 (it dropped off the final list!).

The Walthamstow one remains closed. There isn't a single original pub left between Bell Corner (excluding the Bell) and the summit of Chingford Mount.

Real Ale Ray
12-12-2016, 18:26
Well done Quinno on your 250 challenge, I expect you'll have to see a lot more of the Mrs now, Ha !

aleandhearty
13-12-2016, 08:57
Well done, Quinno. Have to admire your dedication to the cause.

ETA
13-12-2016, 14:23
Well done Quinno - a hard act to follow.

sheffield hatter
13-12-2016, 22:35
Congratulations, I must admit I found the whole idea just too complicated!

Well done Quinno on your 250 challenge, I expect you'll have to see a lot more of the Mrs now, Ha !

Well done, Quinno. Have to admire your dedication to the cause.

Well done Quinno - a hard act to follow.

What they're all trying to say, but are too polite to actually get the words out, is "you mad bastard".

Oh, all right then. Well done, Quinno!

Wittenden
14-12-2016, 08:05
What they're all trying to say, but are too polite to actually get the words out, is "you mad bastard".

Oh, all right then. Well done, Quinno!

Seconded!

Thuck Phat
14-12-2016, 09:50
An eccentric but noble quest.

Congratulations Quinno!

Quinno
15-12-2016, 21:26

I suspect you are correct :D

Mobyduck
30-12-2016, 21:46
This has been quite an interesting side issue from the general pub ticking, I got nowhere near Quinnos great achievements, nor did I try or expect too, I made an unscientific prediction of about 50 from general pub going. I have ended up with 80 unique new pubs on the list . Out of interest the stats are as follows,
Most new pubs visited in 2016 by name was The Crown with 5,
Highest ranking pub name (new) not visited was nos 19 The Black Horse,
Lowest ranking pub actually visited(new) was nos 245 The Red House.

Quinno
31-12-2016, 09:34
This has been quite an interesting side issue from the general pub ticking, I got nowhere near Quinnos great achievements, nor did I try or expect too, I made an unscientific prediction of about 50 from general pub going. I have ended up with 80 unique new pubs on the list . Out of interest the stats are as follows,
Most new pubs visited in 2016 by name was The Crown with 5,
Highest ranking pub name (new) not visited was nos 19 The Black Horse,
Lowest ranking pub actually visited(new) was nos 245 The Red House.

I was genuinely surprised by how many pub names I'd never actually done. 92 Commercials and none had ever had a Quinno visit prior to this year??

Feels like I've corrected an oversight :p

Mobyduck
25-02-2017, 07:44
A nice summary from Quinno here (https://issuu.com/danspeed/docs/mines-a-pint-41), page 23.

bcfczuluarmy
25-02-2017, 15:15
A nice summary from Quinno here (https://issuu.com/danspeed/docs/mines-a-pint-41), page 23.

Nothing wrong with the Forestes in Melksham. I liked this pub especially as me and my mate were the oldest in it by a good 20 years....

Mobyduck
25-02-2017, 17:47
Nothing wrong with the Forestes in Melksham. I liked this pub especially as me and my mate were the oldest in it by a good 20 years....

:eek:

Quinno
28-02-2017, 21:06

That was also the place that had a dedicated, built-in crisp cupboard IIRC. Brilliant.