PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Beers

Aqualung
04-12-2015, 14:27
Generally these beers are dross so here's a chance in the next three weeks to highlight anything good found. There are two categories "Worth Finding" and "Marginal". I see no point in a Dross one as it would be too long.

Worth Finding
Celt Experience Lost Antlers 4.4% (Aqua)
Salopian Hollybush 5.5% (TP)

Marginal
Derventio Mrs Claus 4.0% (Aqua)
Titanic Eight Bells 4.5% (Aqua)

I've taken the liberty of using Thuck Phat's last BOTW to kick this off. The Lost Antlers is the only good Spoons one I've found so far and is a classic New World Hop beer with a lower ABV.

Quinno
04-12-2015, 14:48
Bath Ales Festivity is the finest Xmas brew around, IMHO.

Also had a good one at The Feathers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22925/), the other day called Yule Star Xmas Stout by Trumans and it was really rather good, I thought. I didn't sample the 'three wise hops', which was its stable-mate. Look out for them in Nicholsons pubs in the next four weeks.

NickDavies
04-12-2015, 21:59
Must admit they're another reason for avoiding pubs until Jan 2nd when normality returns, they're seldom worth more than an investigatory half. Even last night, with three weeks to go, most of our local was reserved out for large groups of people who won't enter the place again for 12 months, and nowhere to sit for everyone else.

Aqualung
04-12-2015, 22:03
Must admit they're another reason for avoiding pubs until Jan 2nd when normality returns, they're seldom worth more than an investigatory half. Even last night, with three weeks to go, most of our local was reserved out for large groups of people who won't enter the place again for 12 months, and nowhere to sit for everyone else.

I make you right, it's a bloody nightmare!

Aqualung
04-12-2015, 22:09
List updated, any further contributions gratefully received

Worth Finding
Bath Ales Festivity 5.0% (Quinno)
Truman's Yule Star Stout 4.8% (Quinno)

Marginal

Al 10000
05-12-2015, 17:49

Bar Hum Bug,

Christmas only comes once a year,why not get into the swing of it and down some Christmas beers,i prefer the dark ones.

We have already got into the Christmas spirit and downed loads of beer today,the wife is on real ales and double Courvasyour neat,the Christmas jumpers will be out soon
and the real festivities and drinking will begin.:bemerry:

As that oldish Christmas song goes,"I wish it could be Christmas everyday" well that applies to me.:cheers::drinkup::bemerry:

Most of us live normal lives for over 11 months of the year,so why make Christmas like any other day.

I will be trying any Christmas beers in my local Spoons,but not from the Derventio brewery,i would rather drink *iss than anything from that brewery.
Let your hair down.
Get down the local pub you use and after 9 or 10 pints you wont give a toss who is in there once a year.

rpadam
05-12-2015, 18:06
I think Fuller's Saint Nick's is pretty good, mainly because they haven't overdone the spicy bit.

Mobyduck
05-12-2015, 20:40
After reading this thread and swearing not to go anywhere near any christmas themed beers , ended up having two today on a trip up that London Town.
A collaboration between the Eagle Brewery(Truemans ) and Blue Monkey called Jungle Bells,tried in the Pride of Spitalfields,Is there a crap category? this is where this should reside. Two pubs later had a pint of Roosters Three French Hens in the Kings Head in Bethnal Green, much better and worthy of worth finding status.

sheffield hatter
08-12-2015, 20:21
I had Sonnet 43 Create Those Moments (spiced pear and brandy porter) 4.2% at the Corner Pin in Doncaster. The landlord told me he's putting on only seasonal beers from now until the new year, with the exception of York Guzzler. I also had one from Stancill called Mistletoe, which was green (of course) and too hoppy. But the porter was surprisingly yummy. Don't know if I'd want to drink more than a half though.

Aqualung
08-12-2015, 20:39
Updated, I've added Batham's XXX as although it's strictly an Old or Winter Ale they only do one brew of it and as far as I can make out it doesn't even last until Xmas. It's a reddish old school beer that tastes a lot stronger than they claim it to be. I'm not including Holden's Old as that is available well into the New Year so must by definition be a Winter Ale. At least there is some sort of list! There is a hidden crap list, anything that someone's tried that doesn't appear.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Fuller's Saint Nick's (rpadam)
Roosters Three French Hens 3.9% (Moby)
Sonnet 43 Create Those Moments 4.2% (SH)

Marginal

Quinno
09-12-2015, 09:19
In the worth finding bracket
Theakstons Christmas Ale

Marginal
West Berks Yule Fuel

The Moorhouse Winter Looms wasn't up to much when I tried it, nor was the Exmoor Xmas Ale.

Aqualung
09-12-2015, 12:52
The Moorhouse Winter Looms wasn't up to much when I tried it, nor was the Exmoor Xmas Ale.

I make you right with that! It's actually Exmoor Exmas and has been on the Spoons Xmas guest list for years as have the very dull Cotleigh Reinbeer and Bateman's Rosey Nosey.

Aqualung
09-12-2015, 13:08
List updated below, I've added one to the marginal list, Brentwood Santa's Paradise. This is a 3.5% ale brewed with New World hops that would be perfect as the first pint on a scorchio summer day but not in December.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Theakston's Christmas Ale 4.7% (Quinno)

Marginal
Brentwood Santa's Paradise 3.5% (Aqua)
West Berks Yule Fuel 5.0% (Quinno)

Quinno
09-12-2015, 20:09
Worth finding - Rebellion Roasted Nuts

Komakino
10-12-2015, 22:30
Another 'marginal' one for you: Brakspear Oh Be Joyful 4.3%, as sampled at The Lands End (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1679/).

Spicy notes on the nose, but not a lot on the mouthfeel, or going down...

london calling
11-12-2015, 19:54
Two for the marginal for me this week were
oakham -raucous reindeer 4.0
trumans/blue monkey-jungle bells 4.2

london calling
11-12-2015, 19:59

Actually strike those two.Just re-read the post .They are dross imo.

Mobyduck
11-12-2015, 21:01

Had the Jungle Bells in The Pride of Spitalfields last Saturday, dross is being kind.

Maldenman
12-12-2015, 13:50
I was going to add this one in the BABOTW thread but here seems more appropriate, Welton's St Nicklaus, totally undrinkable and actually stank
like a used nappy.

Aqualung
12-12-2015, 14:34
List updated plus a "worth finding" one by me from Windsor & Eton. I've added the Rebellion one despite it being brewed Nov - Feb which makes it more of a Winter Ale. My friend Finbarr told me to stick it in because he liked the name!

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Rebellion Roasted Nuts 4.6% (Quinno)
Windsor & Eton Mandarin 4.5% (Aqua)

Marginal
Brakspear Oh Be Joyful 4.3% (Koma)

ROBCamra
12-12-2015, 14:47
Only had one Christmas beer so far this year Naylor's Scrooge's Christmas Barrel.

Chestnut brown but a very strong taste of chocolate and at 5.9% a bit of a monster.

Not fit for either list IMO.

Mobyduck
12-12-2015, 18:08
Wells and Youngs A good Stuffing 4.5%, much better than I was expecting and as such worthy of marginal.

rpadam
12-12-2015, 18:52
Wells and Youngs A good Stuffing 4.5%, much better than I was expecting and as such worthy of marginal.
Tried this today too, and certainly OK (if nothing special) as far as I'm concerned.

Oggwyn Trench
12-12-2015, 19:59
Tried Salopian Holybush and Oakhams Raucous Reindeer , both were OK nothing more , pretty bland when you compare them with the respective Brewers normal output .

Quinno
13-12-2015, 17:22

Disagree - tried it on Friday whilst touring Theale and it was everything wrong with so-called "Christmas beers". About as Christmas as a pair of bermuda shorts in the Trafalgar Square fountain. Faintly golden and wet.

Also have tried the Wadworth Xmas beer which was faintly better.

The Fullers one was decent but more marginal than essential IMHO

Thuck Phat
14-12-2015, 09:59
As mentioned in BOTW:
Kelham Island - Good For Your Elf 4.7%. Pale amber with a very moreish bitter finish. Worth seeking out.
Naylor's - Yellow Snow 4.3%. Pale and citrussy. Couldn't prevent a switch to Oakham Bishops Farewell, but then little can. Marginal.

Quinno
14-12-2015, 10:32
Another one, Bloomsbury Winter ale - marginal but with a little work could be essential.

Komakino
15-12-2015, 14:32
I'd certainly suggest Hook Norton's veritable Twelve Days (5.5%) as a further addition on the 'Worth Finding' list. Although it's available bottled all year 'round, it's only available on cask in December if you're lucky to find it (I first came across it at The Falcon (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31839/) in Thame).

aleandhearty
15-12-2015, 15:11
Finally broke my duck, last night, after trying Acorn 13th Noel. The brewery tasting notes witter on about 'rich, berry fruit flavours' and how it is 'Christmas pudding in a glass'. However, I found it to be a not unpleasant strong, ruby ale. Rather subdued and a little disappointing for a 6% beer. Gorlovka it ain't.

Aqualung
15-12-2015, 15:43
Finally broke my duck, last night, after trying Acorn 13th Noel. The brewery tasting notes witter on about 'rich, berry fruit flavours' and how it is 'Christmas pudding in a glass'. However, I found it to be a not unpleasant strong, ruby ale. Rather subdued and a little disappointing for a 6% beer. Gorlovka it ain't.

At least it's got the ABV, added to marginal as you haven't specified. "Not unpleasant" is a double negative!

Aqualung
15-12-2015, 15:45
I'd certainly suggest Hook Norton's veritable Twelve Days (5.5%) as a further addition on the 'Worth Finding' list. Although it's available bottled all year 'round, it's only available on cask in December if you're lucky to find it (I first came across it at The Falcon (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31839/) in Thame).
This one was always on the Spoons list and was invariably the best one. I haven't seen a list for this year and haven't encountered it.
I haven't seen the Bath one either which I know IS on their list,

Aqualung
15-12-2015, 15:48
Updated and a new category added "Complete Dross". There is still an invisible category "Dross" as it has to be a real turkey to get on here.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Hook Norton Twelve Days 5.5% (Koma)
Kelham Island Good For Your Elf 4.7% (TP)

Marginal
Acorn 13th Noel 6.0% (A&H)
Bloomsbury Winter Ale ?.?% (Quinno)
Fuller's Saint Nick's (Quinno)
Naylor's - Yellow Snow 4.3% (TP)

Complete Dross
Milestone Comet 4.2% (Aqua)
Truman / Blue Monkey Jungle Bells 4.2% (Moby, LC)
Welton's St Nicklaus 6.1% (MM)

Mobyduck
15-12-2015, 18:13
You've missed out Wells - A Good Stuffing, unless its in the hidden complete Turkey category, I thought it was marginal , Rpadam thought it was ok but nothing special and Quinno thinks its a Turkey, I have to agree there is nothing Christmassy about it in taste.

Aqualung
15-12-2015, 21:09
You've missed out Wells - A Good Stuffing, unless its in the hidden complete Turkey category, I thought it was marginal , Rpadam thought it was ok but nothing special and Quinno thinks its a Turkey, I have to agree there is nothing Christmassy about it in taste.

Sorry, that was a mistake I got caught up in the debate.

Aqualung
15-12-2015, 21:13
Hopefully now all correct.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)

Marginal
Wells A Good Stuffing 4.5% (Moby)

Complete Dross

Wittenden
19-12-2015, 18:05
Wouldn't run after this one: Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale 5%abv. Odd slate grey colour. Some extraneous spice:if the hops can't provide the spice, don't bother. Not to my taste.

Aqualung
20-12-2015, 17:42
I came across a good one yesterday Backyard Bad Santa, a proper Christmas Beer being a strong (6.8%) porter although the brewery website describes it as a "Full bodied, extra special Tawny bitter". Whatever, I found it for £2.70 in the Walsall St Matthews Hall Spoons. An hour or so later I discovered it was on at their pub the Fountain for just an extra 30p.

Worth Finding
Backyard Bad Santa 6.8% (Aqua)
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)

Marginal

Complete Dross

Bucking Fastard
21-12-2015, 17:17
Had a few over the last week ,some forgetable (ELB Three Kings,Oakham Frozen Stiff) but I enjoyed Brentwood Berry Christmas (flavoured with juniper berries,porterish and decently bitter) and Daleside Santa's Progress (quaffable,not too sweet) so will nominate them as worth finding.

Aqualung
22-12-2015, 16:08
I enjoyed Brentwood Berry Christmas (flavoured with juniper berries,porterish and decently bitter).

I've had that in my local Spoons who has Brentwood on their Guest Ale list. I agree I quite liked it.

Aqualung
22-12-2015, 16:10
List updated. I've endorsed Twelve Days although I thought it was on the marginal side of Worth Finding as it is quite sweet.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Brentwood Berry Christmas 4.4% (BF)
Daleside Santa's Progress 4.2% (BF)
Hook Norton Twelve Days 5.5% (Koma, Aqua)

Marginal

Complete Dross

Quinno
29-12-2015, 22:31
Some updates:

Worth finding
Bristol Beer Factory - Bristletoe (excellent)
Sherfield Village - Xmas Beer
Red Squirrel - Spiced Ale

Marginal
White Horse - Rudolf the Red Nosed White Horse
Cwm Rhondda - Shwmae Santa (could be good but very watery)

And I managed to track down the best Xmas ale IMO, Bath Ales Festivity, at the Knights Templar in Bristol. 4 pints before my train home ;)

Aqualung
30-12-2015, 15:55
List updated for the final time? I suspect that Red Squirrel Winters Tail is a Winter rather than Xmas beer but have added it.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Bristol Beer Factory Bristletoe 4.3% (Quinno)
Red Squrrel Winters Tail 5.0% (Quinno)
Sherfield Village Brewery Christmas Beer 7.0% (Quinno)

Marginal
Cwm Rhondda Shwmae Santa 4.7% (Quinno)
White Horse Rudolph The Red Nose White Horse 4.8% (Quinno)

Complete Dross

Wittenden
30-12-2015, 17:42
Pretty damn poor, at least my one experience of it-Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale. Pretty damn good, though I seen it described as both a Christmas ale and a December seasonal-Westerham God's Wallop.At least it had no nauseating spices.

Al 10000
30-12-2015, 17:58
Pretty damn poor, at least my one experience of it-Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale. Pretty damn good, though I seen it described as both a Christmas ale and a December seasonal-Westerham God's Wallop.At least it had no nauseating spices.

The wife got me a bottle of London Porter which had a sainsburys lable on it but after looking at the back i found out it was brewed by Shepherd Neame it was a really nice drink,but then again i really do like all Shepherd Neame beers.

Wittenden
30-12-2015, 18:23
The wife got me a bottle of London Porter which had a sainsburys lable on it but after looking at the back i found out it was brewed by Shepherd Neame it was a really nice drink,but then again i really do like all Shepherd Neame beers.
Yes, the porter is one of my favourite Sheps beers, though unfortunately they don't send it out to many pubs, and I haven't heard of anyone having it this year.It doesn't seem to be listed on the website, though there is a Red Sails Cherry Porter,though I've not seen it.

Aqualung
03-01-2016, 12:14
Shepherd Neame also brew ASDA's Whitechapel Porter which is slightly stronger.
I'm still finding Christmas beers but list updated.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Westerham God's Wallop 4.0% (Witt)

Marginal

Complete Dross

Komakino
07-01-2016, 14:44
Couple more here for you Aqua, found on my travels this week:

Worth Finding
Loose Cannon Christmas Cannon IV (4.5%)

Marginal
Butcombe Chris Moose (4.1%)

The Loose Cannon was probably the best of the Christmas ales I tried over the Festive period. Sampled it at The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61608/) in Aldworth, so it was always going to be in good nick. The Butcombe was a little "end-of-barrelly", but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Aqualung
07-01-2016, 19:02
To be honest I'm sick to death of Xmas beers. I was reduced to drinking Abbot in my local Spoons today as I couldn't face the White Horse one.
Both beers from above post added and one to the Marginal list from me RCH Steam Sleigh. It has bugger all to do with Xmas but is a decent low ABV golden ale.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Loose Cannon Christmas Cannon IV 4.5% (Koma)

Marginal
Butcombe Chris Moose 4.1% (Koma)
RCH Steam Sleigh 3.8% (Aqua)

Complete Dross

Mobyduck
07-01-2016, 19:54
To be honest I'm sick to death of Xmas beers.

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)

Marginal

Complete Dross
I managed to contribute to one in each category, more than enough for me,bring on the Easter beers. :eek:

Aqualung
07-01-2016, 20:19
I managed to contribute to one in each category, more than enough for me,bring on the Easter beers. :eek:

Do you recall those two short words from a recent unrelated post????

Mobyduck
07-01-2016, 20:27
Do you recall those two short words from a recent unrelated post????
I'll be off then. :whistle:

Aqualung
07-01-2016, 21:20
I'll be off then. :whistle:

Have a nice day!!!

Aqualung
10-01-2016, 20:16
Hopefully this will be the last instalment. Holbeck's Santa Baby was the best I found by a mile and was my BOTW!

Worth Finding
Batham's XXX 6.3% (Aqua)
Holbeck Santa Baby 5.9% (Aqua)

Marginal

Complete Dross