PDA

View Full Version : Hull pub crawl 18th March 2016

Bucking Fastard
04-12-2015, 12:43
After the very enjoyable and extensive crawl around Derby,thoughts naturally turn to the next one.

It feels like the next one should be oop North and we normally go for a date in March...........let the debate begin !!

Quinno
04-12-2015, 13:12
Someone somewhere compiled a list of where we'd been previously on the official PuG meet-ups, anyone know where this is located?

North sounds about right, with South being in the summer.

Lincoln, Hull, Manchester, Stockport all places I haven't been and need an excuse to go to...

hondo
04-12-2015, 13:31
Someone somewhere compiled a list of where we'd been previously on the official PuG meet-ups, anyone know where this is located?

Lincoln, Hull, Manchester, Stockport all places I haven't been and need an excuse to go to...

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16155-A-brief-history-of-PuG-crawls

Quinno
04-12-2015, 13:58
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16155-A-brief-history-of-PuG-crawls

Thanking you!

sheffield hatter
04-12-2015, 18:09

I'd like to suggest turning that around and do a southern one in March, when the north can still be in the grip of winter. And with Easter being in March next year, we're going to have to go for early to mid March to have any chance of cheap train fares.

Lincoln, Hull, Manchester, Stockport all places I haven't been and need an excuse to go to....

...any of those sound good, but can we do one of them in summer, please? Oxford got seven votes in last year's poll (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20520-Summer-Pubs-Galore-crawl) - level with Lincoln. What about Oxford in March and Lincoln in July?

Or someone could set up another poll...

Al 10000
04-12-2015, 18:34

Ive done virtually all pubs in Lincoln and good amount i Hull over 130,i had at one point done all pubs and bars in Manchester,over 500 done within the city boundarys
Stockport is another town that i have done most pubs in even in its outer areas.

So no chance on me redoing these places for a pub crawl.

Bucking Fastard
04-12-2015, 18:58
I'd like to suggest turning that around and do a southern one in March, when the north can still be in the grip of winter. And with Easter being in March next year, we're going to have to go for early to mid March to have any chance of cheap train fares.

...any of those sound good, but can we do one of them in summer, please? Oxford got seven votes in last year's poll (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20520-Summer-Pubs-Galore-crawl) - level with Lincoln. What about Oxford in March and Lincoln in July?

With Good Friday on March 25th and school breaking up just beforehand that still leaves Friday March 4th,11th and 18th as possible dates for cheap fares .It would be good to hear from some of the other northern correspondents about their preferences for the next crawl given the general opinion to share out venues across the country .Is Lincoln deemed to be in the north ?

sheffield hatter
04-12-2015, 19:19
Is Lincoln deemed to be in the north?

York 53°57′
Leeds 53°48′
Hull 53°45'
Manchester 53°28′
Liverpool 53°24′
Stockport 53° 24'
Lincoln 53°23'
Sheffield 53°23′
Nottingham 52°57′
Derby 52°55′
Leicester 52°38′

Mobyduck
05-12-2015, 21:54

Could do Oxford at a drop of a hat,(work permitting).
Lincoln would take more thinking about, but not ruled out.

oldboots
06-12-2015, 10:36

Been to them all and have no problem with any, although Lincoln can be a pain to get to from the north.

ROBCamra
06-12-2015, 10:57
Been to all of them and done just about every pub worth doing in them all.

Other Northern places are available e.g. Newcastle, Durham, Chester, Huddersfield (now there's a proper beer town).

Bucking Fastard
06-12-2015, 12:21
Been to all of them and done just about every pub worth doing in them all.

Other Northern places are available e.g. Newcastle, Durham, Chester, Huddersfield (now there's a proper beer town).

I would be very happy with any of those,and have to agree that the Huddersfield ale and pub choices are top notch :drinkup:

Quinno
06-12-2015, 12:22
Poll here

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?22291-POLL-March-2016-PuG-crawl-venue

All the Northern suggestions plus Oxford given Will's point that it'd be bloody cold in certain parts.

ROBCamra
10-12-2015, 13:46
All the Northern suggestions plus Oxford given Will's point that it'd be bloody cold in certain parts.

Bunch of Southern Jessies, it's not cold, just bracing. :evilgrin:

Anyway, Oxford is leading at the moment, so the North / South bias rears its head yet again.:mad:

Bucking Fastard
10-12-2015, 14:11

Anyway, Oxford is leading at the moment, so the North / South bias rears its head yet again.:mad:

A way around this possible bias is to agree that if Oxford is the peferred option this time,then the next crawl should be in the north with the venue drawn from those on the current poll .This "northern only" poll should be re run nearer the time (April ?) to allow the Oxford only voters this time a chance to express their preference for the venue for the northern crawl.Does that seem fair ?

ROBCamra
10-12-2015, 14:26
,then the next crawl should be in the north

Didn't I hear that last time??????????????????????????

Must be my Deja Vu playing up again.

It's a ridiculous poll for a Northern crawl to have Oxford in there. :moremad:

North Korean style democracy in action.

I can see another Northern Splinter group crawl coming on.

Wittenden
10-12-2015, 14:40

Dunno about cold,pretty bracing here sometimes, but what about the "wrong kind of snow"...

london calling
10-12-2015, 21:57
Although I wont be going I thought it was St Albans then Derby- then up north. Oxford though popular doesn't fit the criteria of being north.The weather should not make any difference to a pub crawl.

Dave M
10-12-2015, 22:39
Although I wont be going I thought it was St Albans then Derby- then up north. Oxford though popular doesn't fit the criteria of being north.The weather should not make any difference to a pub crawl.

I think the point some of us were making last year was that we don't want to get stuck into a strict pattern of North/South/Mid. However one question I would raise is what is the best time of year to visit Oxford? Is it possible that by mid June some of the students have buggered off or doesn't it make much difference?

sheffield hatter
10-12-2015, 23:02

It doesn't have to be South-Midlands-North in strict rotation. That way it's always the same time of year in the same parts of the country. The aim, as I understand it, is to share the travelling fairly equally between members who are fairly evenly spread (hence a preponderance of Midlands venues, so far).

Looking at A brief history of PuG crawls (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16155-A-brief-history-of-PuG-crawls) (and trying to distinguish between those events that had sufficient notice to entice potential participants from the other end of the country and those where perhaps only those who were fairly local were expected to turn up), in past years we've done Midlands in autumn (2010, 2011, 2012, 2015), spring (2013) and summer (2014); South in summer (2013, 2015), spring (2014*), and autumn (2014); North in spring (2012, 2015) and autumn (2013).

I agree it's about time we did the North (we've only done Liverpool, Leeds and York, FFS), but I'd like to do it in summer! How many people who live as far away as London, or further, are going to want to go to Huddersfield in March?

* Worcester seems pretty much south to me, but perhaps it's Midlands, in which case we did Midlands twice that year

[Sorry, Dave. Didn't see your post when I was typing mine.]

sheffield hatter
10-12-2015, 23:09
I think the point some of us were making last year was that we don't want to get stuck into a strict pattern of North/South/Mid. However one question I would raise is what is the best time of year to visit Oxford? Is it possible that by mid June some of the students have buggered off or doesn't it make much difference?

HILARY TERM: Sunday 17th January - Saturday 12th March 2016

Friday, 18th March, anyone?

Mobyduck
11-12-2015, 06:55
For the record I voted for Oxford and Huddersfield, I would prefer the latter in the summer but whenever It would be a lot easier and cheaper on a Saturday, but then I suppose that will kick off a Friday bias. :whistle:

Bucking Fastard
11-12-2015, 08:26
Can we at least agree that if Oxford is chosen for March ,then the summer venue is in the North ???

As Will points out only Liverpool,Leeds and York have ever been visited by the PuG crawl in the 5 years this has been going on.That seems wrong to me if we are talking about a fair distribution of venues across the country which I understood to be guiding principle .

Quinno
11-12-2015, 11:47
The votes on the poll are multiple per person. Oxford seems to be basically a destination people want to do anyway, so if we then pick the two from the North with most votes, we can schedule them in.

So how about the following for 2016; North - South (Ox) - North in that order? That gets North closer to parity by the end of the year in terms of the three 'zones' and means ROBCamra has less to moan about :evilgrin: it is important to try and be equitable over the medium-term.

Of course, if we had any Welsh, Irish or Scottish peeps who wanted to get in on the whole PuG crawl thing... :whistle:

AlanH
11-12-2015, 12:08
Of course, if we had any Welsh, Irish or Scottish peeps who wanted to get in on the whole PuG crawl thing... :whistle:

Not much scope for a decent sized crawl in North Wales. :( . That's why I voted for Chester for my 1st crawl with Manchester/Stockport as another option.
Shame I missed Liverpool. :(

Al 10000
11-12-2015, 18:58
For the record I voted for Oxford and Huddersfield, I would prefer the latter in the summer but whenever It would be a lot easier and cheaper on a Saturday, but then I suppose that will kick off a Friday bias. :whistle:

Fridays probably suit people who dont work full time anymore,

Most people who travel on a regular basis will know that it is always more expensive on a Friday.

I do work full time and work a half day on Friday but get payed for a full day has i have worked the extra hours on Monday to Thursday,so i will never book a Friday off to do a pub crawl.

Maldenman
12-12-2015, 09:33
I think the point is that people prefer a Friday as it means firstly that you don't have work tomorrow or need to take an extra day plus there is the option of staying over and exploring further. There is also a plus that the weekend remains for those with family commitments. I work full time and Friday is the best day for me.

rpadam
12-12-2015, 09:35
I think the point is that people prefer a Friday as it means firstly that you don't have work tomorrow or need to take an extra day plus there is the option of staying over and exploring further. There is also a plus that the weekend remains for those with family commitments. I work full time and Friday is the best day for me.
Ditto...

Mobyduck
12-12-2015, 18:53

Thats fair enough and seems to be par for the course for most, but doesn't necessarily work for everybody.

Al 10000
12-12-2015, 19:30

Well i will stick to doing my 22 or 23 pub crawls on a Saturday and have a lye in on a Sunday when i dont work.

london calling
13-12-2015, 00:24
I prefer Saturday.

Quinno
13-12-2015, 18:25
Either day suits me, usually.

Bucking Fastard
13-12-2015, 19:14
I would much prefer a Friday ,as Saturday March 5th and 19th are booked off for footie.That would leave only Saturday 12th March available for my attendance at the pub crawl.

Bucking Fastard
01-01-2016, 17:35
The votes on the poll are multiple per person. Oxford seems to be basically a destination people want to do anyway, so if we then pick the two from the North with most votes, we can schedule them in.

So how about the following for 2016; North - South (Ox) - North in that order? That gets North closer to parity by the end of the year in terms of the three 'zones' and means ROBCamra has less to moan about :evilgrin: it is important to try and be equitable over the medium-term.

I thought I would BUMP this thread by seeing if there is any traction behind this suggestion from Quinno.
Clearly Oxford has topped the 14 person poll ,and should therefore be visited but with the need to address the past under representation of northern venues this sequential North/Oxford/North suggestion for the 2016 venues seemed to me a valid way forward.

Any thoughts ?

Quinno
01-01-2016, 18:29
We decided Northern winner for March, then Oxford. As Hull and Huddersfield are tied, I will add a quick new poll to separate them.

HERE it is http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?22497-Hull-vs-Huddersfield-POLL-for-March

Only 10 days to vote!!

trainman
04-01-2016, 19:00
Is there any date or destination set for this yet? East Coast deals go on sale 1st thing tomorrow...

Mobyduck
04-01-2016, 19:11
Is there any date or destination set for this yet? East Coast deals go on sale 1st thing tomorrow...
I know the polls still open,but given the above, we could do with a disission being made.

trainman
04-01-2016, 21:51
Hull in World's top 10 to visit!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-35220361

Well blow me down...

Aqualung
04-01-2016, 21:56
I know the polls still open,but given the above, we could do with a disission being made.

I booked some advance tickets for Sat 19th March yesterday.

Quinno
04-01-2016, 22:24
Given Hull has twice as many votes as Huddersfield, I say we just go for it so ppl can book tomorrow

Mobyduck
04-01-2016, 22:26
Given Hull has twice as many votes as Huddersfield, I say we just go for it so ppl can book tomorrow

Have we got a date agreed?

Quinno
04-01-2016, 22:33
Have we got a date agreed?

No - Friday March 18th?

Mobyduck
04-01-2016, 22:38
No - Friday March 18th?

Would be ok by me.

rpadam
04-01-2016, 22:54
No - Friday March 18th?

Would be ok by me.
That's what I had pencilled in as a day off work, so fine by me.

Bucking Fastard
05-01-2016, 05:52
Friday March 18th is good for me.

oldboots
05-01-2016, 08:46
Friday 18th March suits me best, (Easter is the following weekend).

Quinno
05-01-2016, 09:40
Right that's basically settled then!

HULL, FRIDAY MARCH 18th

I know nowt about Hull, so will leave it to the better-informed as to what pubs/route we do.

I'll also start an attendance list:
-Quinno
-Marc (Quinno's mate)
-MobyD
-Big Steve
-OB
-BF
-RPAdam
-London calling (?)
-Trainman
-Sheff Hatt
-ROBcamra (likely)

trainman
05-01-2016, 10:15
Yep, I'm in. Slightly frustrating that it'll be £10trn to Donny, then probably £22 rtn from there to Hull as Moby's £7.50s don't work so well.

ROBCamra
05-01-2016, 10:44
Should be OK for this. Just need to check the other halfs Easter holiday dates.

Crawled around Hull many times, so no new pubs for me I expect.

The Admiral of the Humber (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56318/) would be the suggested meet up point.

Near the station and a breakfast option for starters? :cheers:

Mobyduck
05-01-2016, 22:17
OK I've booked my tickets, Kings X - Hull and back, £ 28.50. The real pisser is though £42.60 from Base to Kings x rtn, which is less than a quarter of the distance, such is life.

sheffield hatter
05-01-2016, 22:38
-Sheff Hatt (?)

Should be able to make it.

Aqualung
05-01-2016, 23:39
I won't be there for several reasons despite the fact that the closest I've been to Hull is cycling across the Humber Bridge.

Weekdays are bad for getting the advance tickets to get there early. I don't understand the argument against Saturday as if you're working you don't need to take a day off.
I've got a day trip booked for the Saturday after and a short day the Thursday before.
One of the reasons I've never been to Hull is because in the past it always looked poor for beer choice compared to other places. I've never been to Huddersfield either but it looks a much better bet than Hull does today.
When and if I eventually get to Hull I'll have a completely different agenda, going to as many Spoons in the area as possible and any micropubs as bonuses.

Mobyduck
05-01-2016, 23:51
I won't be there for several reasons despite the fact that the closest I've been to Hull is cycling across the Humber Bridge.

1 Weekdays are bad for getting the advance tickets to get there early.2 I don't understand the argument against Saturday . 3 as many Spoons in the area as possible 4 and any micropubs as bonuses.
1 agree
2 agree
3 Strongly disagree :D
4 agree

Quinno
06-01-2016, 00:11
For anyone wanting a cheap room, the IBIS is £39 a night and is close to Hull BR. Also 7.5% cashback via Quidco for the next couple of days too - result!

Mobyduck
06-01-2016, 10:47
Right that's basically settled then!

HULL, FRIDAY MARCH 18th

I know nowt about Hull, so will leave it to the better-informed as to what pubs/route we do.

I'll also start an attendance list:
-Quinno
-Marc (Quinno's mate)
-MobyD
-OB
-BF
-RPAdam
-London calling (?)
-Trainman
-Sheff Hatt
-ROBcamra (likely)
Big Steve is now on board as well, we arrive 12:09 , Depart 19:10.

trainman
06-01-2016, 12:45
-Marc (Quinno's mate)

Your pal wasn't the recipient of this coffee was he? I proper laughed when I saw it...1302

sheffield hatter
06-01-2016, 14:43
I don't understand the argument against Saturday as if you're working you don't need to take a day off.

I work. And I work Saturdays. Fridays are generally easier days to book off. That's why Friday suits me better. I can't speak for others.

Also I think a weekday is better for a pub crawl. On Saturdays you're competing for drinking room with people who don't work on Saturdays and the pubs can be not just crowded but frenetic.

What about Sundays?

Mobyduck
06-01-2016, 15:37
What about Sundays?
Restricted travel,engineering works, Monday morning, :D

Quinno
06-01-2016, 15:41
As a rule I can usually do either day. Why not set Oxford in summer as a Saturday and see how it goes?

oldboots
06-01-2016, 17:40
First pass list of pubs to visit in Hull, in no particular order

The Admiral of the Humber (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56318/)
The Minerva (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53439/)
Walters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62484/)
Ye Olde Black Boy (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60320/)
The Lion and Key (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60298/)
Ye Olde White Harte (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60322/)
The Hop & Vine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62487/)
The Whalebone (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52688/)

Wm. Hawkes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77849/) ?
The Old House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80593/) ?

Oscars (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82148/) gets a decent write up in Pub Mirror (4 pulls local breweries)
Furley & Co, 18-20 Princes Dock St, HU1 2LP hasn't been added yet but also gets a good write up (Dave - finger)

Dave M
06-01-2016, 17:59
Furley & Co, 18-20 Princes Dock St, HU1 2LP hasn't been added yet but also gets a good write up (Dave - finger)
You obviously haven't looked properly. :whistle:

Will deal with the rest of the backlog tomorrow.

Mobyduck
06-01-2016, 20:11
As a rule I can usually do either day. Why not set Oxford in summer as a Saturday and see how it goes?

Would be good for me. I can manage to get Fridays off most the time but work issues have cost me a couple of trips in the past.

ROBCamra
06-01-2016, 20:24
First pass list of pubs to visit in Hull, in no particular order

The Admiral of the Humber (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56318/)
The Minerva (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53439/)
Walters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62484/)
Ye Olde Black Boy (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60320/)
The Lion and Key (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60298/)
The Hop & Vine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62487/)
The Whalebone (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52688/)

Wm. Hawkes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77849/) ?
The Old House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80593/) ?

Oscars (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82148/) gets a decent write up in Pub Mirror (4 pulls local breweries)

Definitely Wm Hawkes, Oscars was poor last time we were in, so I hope it's improved.

I would also add

The Three John Scotts (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56320/) Best of the 3 JDWs
Sailmakers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42569/)

A couple of wildcards for those who need to get their quota in

The Old English Gentleman (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60309/)
The Manchester Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60305/)

I'll no doubt arrive on the Thursday, so assumimg that we'll be staying in the centre I may well go and fill in a few gaps up on Newland Avenue.

We'd better warn Stewart we're coming if we're doing the Hop & Vine, we may have to do shifts it's that small. ;)

Delboy20
06-01-2016, 21:01
Hi all,

i stayed at the Gilson Hotel when i went to Hull and back. Basic and cheap. Near the train station and just round the corner from the Spoons you will all be meeting at.

Not really wanting to enter in to the Friday/Saturday debate but here is my personal opinion.

I struggle to do Fridays due to work. Trains are also more expensive.

I would have voted for Huddersfield as i haven't been there ! I didn't vote because I am not attending.

Have a good day...

Del.

london calling
06-01-2016, 21:14
Hull in World's top 10 to visit!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-35220361

Well blow me down...
What !!! its usually in the top 10 crap places to live.Even the locals say its one letter away from Hell.

rpadam
06-01-2016, 22:02
"After being named the least romantic city in the UK in 2015, and once crowned one of the “crap towns” of the UK, things are finally looking up for Hull. It’s the UK City of Culture in 2017, so this year is Hull‘s practice run. It’ll be brimming with new hotels and restaurants, and even more of that distinctive home-grown creativity the city has always had. There are atmospheric old-timey pubs, eight excellent museums and a picturesque Old Town with cobbled streets."

trainman
06-01-2016, 23:48
Cobbles AND Museums..? I doubt I'll meet any of you lot, with your old-timey pubs malarkey!

oldboots
07-01-2016, 09:12
Oscars was poor last time we were in, so I hope it's improved.

Current issue of Pub Mirror says "Cask ale has also made a welcome return to Oscars bar in the form of four hand pumps. Early signs are very positive with local breweries particularly well supported."

We'd better warn Stuart we're coming if we're doing the Hop & Vine, we may have to do shifts it's that small. ;)

Absolutely, I'd call it a micro-pub

ROBCamra
07-01-2016, 12:02
OK I'm in.

Booked into the Premier Inn where we've stayed several times before.

Opposite end of the city to the station, but close to the best pubs and currently £35 per night.

Also close to the best JDW in town for breakfast. :cheers:

Al 10000
07-01-2016, 16:58
"After being named the least romantic city in the UK in 2015, and once crowned one of the “crap towns” of the UK, things are finally looking up for Hull. It’s the UK City of Culture in 2017, so this year is Hull‘s practice run. It’ll be brimming with new hotels and restaurants, and even more of that distinctive home-grown creativity the city has always had. There are atmospheric old-timey pubs, eight excellent museums and a picturesque Old Town with cobbled streets."

Once you walk away from the city centre almost all of Hull is pretty grim,go over the river hull into East Hull and try and find a decent pub that PUG members would like to do,i quite enjoyed doing the area,but it is not for PUG members,the same goes for West Hull and North Hull apart from the trendy bars that keep opening on newland.

Mobyduck
07-01-2016, 19:42
Once you walk away from the city centre almost all of Hull is pretty grim,go over the river hull into East Hull and try and find a decent pub that PUG members would like to do,i quite enjoyed doing the area,but it is not for PUG members,the same goes for West Hull and North Hull apart from the trendy bars that keep opening on newland.

South Hull it is then. :D

Dave M
08-01-2016, 12:00
Booked into the Premier Inn where we've stayed several times before.

Opposite end of the city to the station, but close to the best pubs and currently £35 per night.

Thanks for the tip, that looks perfect! Me and Tammy are in and making a weekend of it.

ROBCamra
08-01-2016, 13:44
Thanks for the tip, that looks perfect! Me and Tammy are in and making a weekend of it.

Excellent, plenty to do in the area.

The Deep is definitely worth a look, although not cheap.

Beverley is a smart market town with an amazing Minster (there was a girl in my class at school called Beverley Minster, I always found that amusing).

There's also quite a few decent pubs in Beverley and it's only 2 stops on the train.

If you do go ask for a Northern Duo ticket, it'll get one of you there half price, despite sounding like it should mean the Proclaimers. :p

Real Ale Ray
08-01-2016, 17:58
Hoping to make it to this one, Mrs Ale will be there to keep an eye on me...

sheffield hatter
08-01-2016, 22:38
Mrs Ale will be there to keep an eye on me...

...deep sighs of relief all around Hull at this news.

sheffield hatter
21-01-2016, 11:37
Has anyone started doing a route for this crawl? I don't know Hull at all - just two visits to follow Luton Town, once at Boothferry Park, shortly before it closed; the other at the KC Stadium, after which I got hopelessly lost and almost missed my train - so I'm not going to get involved this time!

The date of this crawl - 18th March - is the last day of the Cheltenham festival, so it would be handy if the route went past a betting shop or two. Is there a Bookies Galore website where I can check this sort of info? :)

trainman
21-01-2016, 12:57
- so I'm not going to get involved this time!
Is there a Bookies Galore website...?

Yep, I'll be needing a bookies to put my house on you not 'not getting involved' Will! ;)

sheffield hatter
21-01-2016, 13:07
Yep, I'll be needing a bookies to put my house on you not 'not getting involved' Will! ;)

I resemble that remark. :p

Watch this space...

hondo
21-01-2016, 13:08
The date of this crawl - 18th March - is the last day of the Cheltenham festival, so it would be handy if the route went past a betting shop or two. Is there a Bookies Galore website where I can check this sort of info? :)

Not quite but http://www.britishbookmakers.co.uk/locations/betting-shop-locations.htm

oldboots
22-01-2016, 11:14
Has anyone started doing a route for this crawl? I don't know Hull at all -

Posts 60 & 63 have an outline. Start would be the Admiral of the Humber (JDW) then a wander to the docks then up into the old town and back along to a finish at the Hop & Vine I would guess.

sheffield hatter
22-01-2016, 18:12
Posts 60 & 63 have an outline. Start would be the Admiral of the Humber (JDW) then a wander to the docks then up into the old town and back along to a finish at the Hop & Vine I would guess.

Thanks for that. Not wishing to get involved (see post #77), but could you please put some flesh on the bones so that I can then do some bookie research? I'm mostly interested in the period between about 13:30 and 16:30, when I'll either want to watch the races on TV or dash out of the pub for a few minutes to the nearest betting shop.

Cheers

Mobyduck
22-01-2016, 20:20
so that I can then do some bookie research? I'm mostly interested in the period between about 13:30 and 16:30, when I'll either want to watch the races on TV or dash out of the pub for a few minutes to the nearest betting shop.

Cheers
Busman's holiday? :evilgrin:

sheffield hatter
22-01-2016, 21:41
Busman's holiday? :evilgrin:

You bet!

Mobyduck
22-01-2016, 21:44
You bet!
Only if you have a good tip, ;)

oldboots
23-01-2016, 11:08
Thanks for that. Not wishing to get involved (see post #77), but could you please put some flesh on the bones so that I can then do some bookie research? I'm mostly interested in the period between about 13:30 and 16:30, when I'll either want to watch the races on TV or dash out of the pub for a few minutes to the nearest betting shop.

Cheers

Here's a possible list in the right order, with links and rough times. RobCamra can no doubt make some suggestions to improve it:

1. The Admiral of the Humber (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56318/) leave at 1pm

2. Furley & Co (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83529/) 13:10-13:30
3. The Minerva (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53439/) 13:40-14:00

These are all within spitting distance of each other so 14:10-16:40, people can choose a different permutation if desired or add a wildcard or two.
4. The Lion and Key (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60298/)
5. Ye Olde Black Boy (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60320/)
6 Sailmakers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42569/)
7. The Three John Scotts (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56320/)
8. Wm. Hawkes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77849/)
9. Walters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62484/)

10. Oscars (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82148/) 16:40-17:00

Wildcards:
The Manchester Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60305/)
The Old House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80593/)
The William Wilberforce (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56321/)

Depending on train times and how long we spend in some pubs, it should be possible to go to the Hop & Vine via
The Old English Gentleman (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60309/) it's about 10 mins from Oscars and about 5mins from the Hop & Vine.

11. The Hop & Vine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62487/) 17:15 (17:35) - trains.
It's about a 10 minute walk from the H&V to the station but there is ample scope to get lost between there and Paragon Station.

an_ecumenical_matter
24-01-2016, 10:28
Hello all.

Feck. Once again we're 9 pages in and only now I discover the arrangements for the latest epic jolly. 3 is the max that can be off on leave at my factory and 3 are off so this one ain't for me......

hondo
25-01-2016, 13:40
"in the world to visit by the Rough Guide, the next a reviewer from web powerhouse Vice says Hull is basically"
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/50-Hull-venues-visit-restaurants-pubs-museums/story-28586684-detail/story.html

oldboots
25-01-2016, 17:24
I've updated post #85 with links and times based on leaving the Admiral of the Humber about 1pm and getting back nearer the station about 6-6.30pm. Any comments?

Bucking Fastard
25-01-2016, 18:54
I've updated post #85 with links and times based on leaving the Admiral of the Humber about 1pm and getting back nearer the station about 6-6.30pm. Any comments?

It looks a good list and thanks for adding some times.Normal practice is to move off from the 'spoons (Admiral) once the attendees have gathered and quenched their thirst after the journey, which begs the question of peoples ETA's .I see Moby and Big Steve arrive at 12.09,I will be there at 11.10 so have time for a pre spoons pint if others are around early doors.

ROBCamra
25-01-2016, 20:17
The route is fine by me.

I'd probably put Wm Hawkes & Walters before visiting the Three John Scotts on the crawl, but who cares. :cheers:

Mobyduck
25-01-2016, 21:05

Works well for me.

rpadam
25-01-2016, 21:42
Due to arrive at 12:18.

oldboots
27-01-2016, 19:10
You may be interested in this

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/10-Hull-pubs-bars-beer-app-Untappd/story-28616585-detail/story.html

sheffield hatter
03-03-2016, 15:40
Thought I'd give this thread a bump, as the lead story on this sub-forum recently has been a revisit of our November 2014 tour of Bristol!

Due to arrive at 12:18.

My train gets in at 12:09 and I'll be on the 18:57 departure.

Quinno
03-03-2016, 16:09
Me and Marc are up the night before and will be doing some out-of-town GBGers and Quinnos.

We will probably rise and be ready at a suitable town centre Spoons from 11.

ROBCamra
03-03-2016, 16:30
I'm also there the night before, but having already done the likes of Pave (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62488/) & Larkin's Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72065/)

I think I'll visit a few of the pubs & bars in the city that Ms CAMRA refuses to enter.

Got to get some new pub ticks on this trip somehow.:D

I'll probably also pop into The Hop & Vine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62487/) to warn Stewart that we're visiting the day afterwards
and to see if he's got any pub news that may be useful.

He's the font of all Hull pub news is Stewart. :notworthy:

Gann
03-03-2016, 16:57
I hope I am not tempting fate here but I actually waded in and booked cheap train tickets the moment this was fixed even though I was potentially down to be supporting a work event abroad on this Friday..

Since then I have been working like a good-un to line up members of my team to cover it and it looks like I may have succeeded..

In which case I will be arriving also on the 12.18PM and departing on the 19.10 back to the smoke...

Mobyduck
03-03-2016, 20:00
Thought I'd give this thread a bump, as the lead story on this sub-forum recently has been a revisit of our November 2014 tour of Bristol!

My train gets in at 12:09 and I'll be on the 18:57 departure.

I am also arriving at 12:09 along with big steve, and departing 19:10, presumably on the same train as Gann.

an_ecumenical_matter
11-03-2016, 13:29
Wahay. A lucky twist. Unexpectedly on my spare week I've been allotted a Friday rest day !!!

If anyone down south wants a £6 London to Hull return out at 0948 arrive 1218 and 1910 back arrive London 2144 reply here.

Bucking Fastard
15-03-2016, 18:51
Looking forward to Friday ,as far as I can tell this looks like the roll call.

Quinno
Marc
rpadam
Bucking Fastard
oldboots
trainman
ROBCamra
sheffield hatter
Mobyduck
Big Steve
Dave M
Tammy
Real ale Ray
Mrs Ale
an ecumenical matter
Gann

Hope i've not missed anyone out.

I'm an early arrival (11.10) but never been to Hull before so I thought I would tick off a wild card and have breakfast in The William Wilberforce (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56321/) before going back to the Admiral of the Humber (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56318/) when the bulk of the crawl arrive shortly after midday.:cheers:

ROBCamra
15-03-2016, 19:48
William Wilberforce is rumoured to have a new manager who's into his real ale, so I'm expecting improvements.:cheers:

Mobyduck
15-03-2016, 19:58
William Wilberforce is rumoured to have a new manager who's into his real ale, so I'm expecting improvements.:cheers:

Hope to be there approx 12:15.

Mobyduck
15-03-2016, 20:02
Hope to be there approx 12:15.

Oops wrong one I meant the Admiral of Humber.

Quinno
16-03-2016, 13:54
Looking forward to this, setting off at 9.30 tomorrow from Didcot, get a few Quinnos on the way up and in the evening. Trying to persuade Desmond that a jaunt to Beverley might be fun!

Loving that the IBIS is right next to Spoons for hangover brekky on Friday!

Al 10000
16-03-2016, 18:40
Looking forward to this, setting off at 9.30 tomorrow from Didcot, get a few Quinnos on the way up and in the evening. Trying to persuade Desmond that a jaunt to Beverley might be fun!

Loving that the IBIS is right next to Spoons for hangover brekky on Friday!

I would advise a visit to Beverley,it is a really nice market town that i know very well,done most pubs in the town on many occasions because i often have long weekends and even weekly stays there at my wifes sisters house.
Trains are pretty regular from Hull and it is less than a 15 minutes train journey,the train station is quite near the town centre.

aleandhearty
17-03-2016, 19:07
Looking forward to Friday ,as far as I can tell this looks like the roll call.

Quinno
Marc
rpadam
Bucking Fastard
oldboots
trainman
ROBCamra
sheffield hatter
Mobyduck
Big Steve
Dave M
Tammy
Real ale Ray
Mrs Ale
an ecumenical matter
Gann

Hope i've not missed anyone out.

Waited right until the last minute, before making a decision on this one. Unfortunately, it's not to be. Have a great day everyone. Look forward to the stories gradually emerging next week. It's almost a given that one will involve Ray! :)

an_ecumenical_matter
18-03-2016, 09:09
Waited right until the last minute, before making a decision on this one. Unfortunately, it's not to be. Have a great day everyone. Look forward to the stories gradually emerging next week. It's almost a given that one will involve Ray! :)
And someone else has worked too much all week and only awakened now (0908) :eek:.

Burton beer festival for me instead.........

Gann
18-03-2016, 10:04
And someone else has worked too much all week and only awakened now (0908) :eek:.

Er... Work?
Or did St Patrick's day have anything to do with it?

Anyway can report those others of us who should be on the 9.48am out of Kings X are all present and correct and on our way

Real Ale Ray
18-03-2016, 10:54

Mrs Ale here! Ya big feckin eejit! Are you as sick as a small hospital??
We get to Hull at 11.38, see you all there

trainman
19-03-2016, 11:00

oldboots
19-03-2016, 18:33

Real Ale Ray
21-03-2016, 22:32

Quinno
24-03-2016, 11:21
Rather late, here's the Team Photo :)1336

an_ecumenical_matter
28-03-2016, 15:19
Mrs Ale here! Ya big feckin eejit! Are you as sick as a small hospital??
We get to Hull at 11.38, see you all there

Never had a drop on paddys day. Twas Cheltenham races and union stuff that had me knackered. Wouldn't recommend Burton festival - cringeworthy organ player.