PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Best Selling Beer

Aqualung
27-11-2015, 19:18
I was delighted to see this in today's review of Nottingham's newest Blue Monkey outlet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58159/).

There were eight hand pulls all available on the bar with 7 from blue monkey and one from sharps doom bar but on inquiring about doombar was told that it was not selling so was replaced by an eighth blue monkey beer.

At least the people of Nottingham have the sense to see through all the marketing lies and rubbish that have elevated this pathetic beer to where it is. The saddest thing is that JDW have been taken in or more likely bribed by the global abomination so that all their outlets sell it. I haven't seen London Pride in a Spoons for ages now (my local one replaced it in the Summer with Doom Bore).

Mobyduck
27-11-2015, 19:30
I was delighted to see this in today's review of Nottingham's newest Blue Monkey outlet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58159/).

At least the people of Nottingham have the sense to see through all the marketing lies and rubbish that have elevated this pathetic beer to where it is. The saddest thing is that JDW have been taken in or more likely bribed by the global abomination so that all their outlets sell it. I haven't seen London Pride in a Spoons for ages now (my local one replaced it in the Summer with Doom Bore).
And the really sad thing is so many believe the hype and are suckered in. My local puts one nine on every Friday (in addition to the good/decent stuff)and it sells out by Sat afternoon, good business I guess, but drunk by the once a week I'll have two halves and I'm done, beer warriors.

oldboots
27-11-2015, 19:38
Surely Britain's best selling beer is Carling :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
27-11-2015, 19:53
Surely Britain's best selling beer is Carling :evilgrin:

Beer :confused:

Aqualung
27-11-2015, 20:34
When I visited a completely free of tie house in Epping Forest during the summer of last year I had time to speak to the Landlord / Manager about beer and he made it abundantly clear that his favourite brewer was Buntingford. When I asked him why they had Abbot in the range he admitted that the GK rep had guaranteed him a price less than any of the local brews he was selling. Having noticed approaching the pub that the outside areas were furnished with Doom Bore umbrellas and probably tables and chairs I felt it unnecessary to enquire why an extra hand pump had been added to serve Doom Bore.
This is the way that the major brewers operate and even over forty years ago with my student bar it was exactly the same. It's not just the casual beer drinker that needs to ignore these pressures but also the large pubcos and smaller free of tie operators.